Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe GJ not such a bad teacher

Default Maybe GJ not such a bad teacher

People hold the opinion that Gwok Jing was a lousy teacher because of the quality of his students: Gwok Fu, Gwok Seung, Dai Mo, Siu Mo ....

But what was he actually able to teach, only the skills of the Gong Nam 7 Freaks. The rest was "copyrighted" by the original owners.

E.g. Chuen Zun inner power cultivation, 18 Dragon slaying palms.
    These were the martial arts that really took Gwok Jing to another level, beyond that of the 7 Freaks.

Admittedly, Peach Blossom Island martial arts should have featured heavily in their martial education and would presumably have been enough to enable this generation of students to establish themselves in Gong Wu.

What it really boils down to was that:

1) Gwok Fu was to lazy to apply herself to the physical hardship of daily practice, and just relied on the reputation of her parents.

2) Dai/Siu Mo were too caught up in chasing their si mui to practice, despite having a highly skilled opponent to kill to avenge the death of their mother.

3) Gwok Sueng is still relatively young, and flits to much from one skill to another. A bit like the young Yeung Gor.

So my conclusion, based on limited evidence, is that Gwok Jing should have chosen better material for his students!!

Default Re: Maybe GJ not such a bad teacher

Originally posted by CFT
    [B]
    But what was he actually able to teach, only the skills of the Gong Nam 7 Freaks. The rest was "copyrighted" by the original owners.

E.g. Chuen Zun inner power cultivation, 18 Dragon slaying palms.
    These were the martial arts that really took Gwok Jing to another level, beyond that of the 7 Freaks.
    I thought he taught the Wu brothers parts of XL18P. I believe one of them actually used a few moves from it during the contest for the next Beggar's Union leader.

IIRC GJ had also promised to teach YG all of his martial arts at one point early in the story.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

i believed he said that to mu nian ci at the end of LOCH.

why didn't he teach 9 yin?

Originally posted by philip
    You think any of his moronic students would be able to learn such a high-level martial arts without getting injured or worse die from fire deviation?

Honestly, he should've found a someone that is actually out to learn kung fu than chasing girls or etc. Guo Jing may have had all the luck of marrying HR and all that kung fu he learned but he sure got bad luck having GF as his daughter and the wu brothers as his students.

I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

He had Yelu Qi, who was actually not bad. Just not Greats material.

Or maybe he couldn't concentrate on his training cuz GF kept nagging him all day.

do you think they would understand the 9 Yin?

Even Yang Guo when he initially learned the 9 Yin didn't even understand what he was practicing.

Those student of GJ are much dumber than YG. Even if they have GJ explaining it to them they wouldn't understand much.

Even Guo Xiang when listening to the 9 Yang didn't understand much.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 04-30-04 at 01:10 PM.

What do you mean by that? I'm of a good quality and material!

Besides, I think you are missing something else. 30% comes from the teacher while the remaining 70% comes from the students themselves. They can't depend on their teachers to make who and what they are except to depend on their own.

Hence if they do not succeed, it doesn't necessary means that the teacher is lousy. In the same way, if a student is good, it doesn't always mean that the teacher is good too!

For example, this certain teacher imparts the louiest skills to this student of his and ill-treated him. However, that student became a highly-skilled hero in his later life THROUGH HIS OWN EFFORTS. Would you say his teacher is a good teacher because the student is highly-skilled and is a hero?

Do not ever just look at the surface.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 04-30-04 at 01:22 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    What do you mean by that? I'm of a good quality and material!
    sorry , for not stating specifically.
    You didn't understand it at the beginning, but you understand most of it afterward. You did create a couple martial arts based on 9 Yang, so it can't be said that you didn't understand.

Originally posted by CC
    He had Yelu Qi, who was actually not bad. Just not Greats material.

Or maybe he couldn't concentrate on his training cuz GF kept nagging him all day.
    Yelu Qi is a student of Zhou Ba Tong. His kongfu was already acceptable before he met Gwok Jing.

ye lu qi wasn't bad material...

GX was excellent material...why didn't he teach her 9 yin?

and it wasn't like GJ himself understood 9 yin when he first got the text...he had to get help from H7G, HR, 1Deng, ZBT, etc

I think GJ did learn the 9 Yin by himself as he fight opponents in LOCH. He really learn it throught experience and battles.

Just as YG learn it when observing GJ and H7G used them in battle.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 04-30-04 at 02:53 PM.

what about his son, guo bo luo, didn't he learn the dragon palms
    JUST HERE TO ANNOY!!!!

Originally posted by JUST BOB
    what about his son, guo bo luo, didn't he learn the dragon palms
    There is a hardly any mention of his martial art skill throughout the novel.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Originally posted by TaiHan
    I think GJ did learn the 9 Yin by himself as he fight opponents in LOCH. He really learn it throught experience and battles.

Just as YG learn it when observing GJ and H7G used them in battle.
    I thought he learned it in the Ancient Tomb??? Just that he didn't quite use it until he fought with Daerba.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

yea, YG got it explained to him in the ancient tomb first, when he was able to get stuff out of GJ fighting....

GJ, by himself, barely knew what the words were suppose to mean, how is he suppose to learn by himself?

GJ did learn 9Yin by himself.
    The only part that he did not understand is the sanskrit part.
    Before knowing that part, he explain to H7G how to use 9Yin to heal his teacher injury, use it to heal himself with the help of HR, learn a lot by trying to incorporate 9Yin into his fighting style when face with so much more experience fighters such as MCF, OYF & HYS. No one taught him how to use 9Yin, why, because H7G himself did not know it except for the healing part, ZBT only make him memorized it, and we can be sure GN7 Freaks won't be any help.
    After YiDeng's buddhist brother helps him by translating the sanskrit part, GJ improvement rate increased.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

ZBT explained most of the skill-wise section to GJ.

i do remember though, that when H7G, GJ, HR, OYF, OYK were stranded on that island, GJ didn't know how to use 9 yin to teach H7G how to heal. H7G had to enlighten GJ on how to use certain sections in the 9 yin to help him chop down trees

i do remember though, that when H7G, GJ, HR, OYF, OYK were stranded on that island, GJ didn't know how to use 9 yin to teach H7G how to heal. H7G had to enlighten GJ on how to use certain sections in the 9 yin to help him chop down trees
    the healing part was in sanskrit, so course he couldn't it understand.

on the tree, it was about the usage of HL18Z not 9 Yin, and later GJ used the Vacant Fist hit the tree.

yea, YG got it explained to him in the ancient tomb first, when he was able to get stuff out of GJ fighting....
    from Noodle's Translation
    That leap was a technique from the [Nine Yin Manual]. He and Xiao Long Nuu had studied the markings of the manual left by Wong Chong Yang on the ceiling of the stone chamber in the ancient tomb, they had learnt some of the fist, kick and sword techniques but there was no one to advise them on practising the internal aspect, they practised it but they did not know if they practised it right, right now he was facing a formidable enemy, how could he dare use it?
    as I said he doesn't know what he was practicing.

Also the essence and ingenuity isn't the technique but the theory in it.

from Noodle's Translation

now he saw the two use the theories of the manual with their stances he couldn’t stop himself from being shocked and surprised, he thought, “So even an ordinary sentence of the manual has so many ways to express it.”

Yang Guo watched on in awe from the side. He too has practised the [Nine Yin Manual] before from the ancient tomb but because he had no one to instruct him, he didn’t know that the manual was this extraordinary. He followed Guo Jing’s palm techniques with the teachings of the manual and immediately he understood countless profound fist theories.
    It showed at the anicent tomb, he didn't truely understand the 9 Yin.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 05-01-04 at 11:49 AM.