Thread: Game Review Section?

Default Game Review Section?

Since there's an Anime section, I'm wondering can there be a game review section too? I'm talking about PS2, XBOX, and GC games.

I think this site is mainly dedicated for TV series/Movie reviews. That's what set SPCNet apart from the others. There are plenty of videogame-based websites out there (which are more in-depth than anything SPCNet can offer), so I see no point in adding a Game Review section. But that's just me talking from a programmer point-of-view. Hehe.

To add a game section, it will requires sub-sections such as PS2, GC, XBOX, and then update it whenever a new system is release. Although it's not hard to do, but my laziness is hard to overcome.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

I think a few of us try to give game review in the forum... it just didnt' work out because not many of us can write good review... and we are more critic then reviewer and most of our comments are kind of bias
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I can write some reviews on games since I wrote some on movies and series. Just not sure about the others.

Whether or not ppl can write game reviews is irrelevant. The real questions are: Who does this site cater to? What is the target audience? Somehow I don't think ppl will come to SPCnet to read game reviews.
    Last edited by CrazyT; 05-06-04 at 10:38 PM.

Maybe spare a thought for the editors who have to contend with atrocious English in some of the submitted reviews?
    玉木宏

blog

Originally posted by CrazyT
    Whether or not ppl can write game reviews is insignificant. The real questions are: Who does this site cater to? What is the target audience? Somehow I don't think ppl will come to SPCnet to read game reviews.
    I personally would like to see some reviews here on WuXia related games or maybe Chinese games in general.

I come to SPCNet because I'm bored. Anything half way entertaining is OK by me. A game review wouldn't be any more inane than some of the discussions I've seen or taken part of.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Yeah, adding a game review section would require a completely different review template, one where a reviewer can choose a game console for one (though that should just be a matter of adding a new database table ). I was considering adding a book review (for the nerd inside of me) section too but all that seems too tangent from the site right now as CrazyT mentioned. So I'd definitely want to add more review categories in the future but only after the rest of the site is up to speed with updates.

But yeah, why not write the game review in the Gaming forum for now? It will at least get instantaneously updated and available for reading and feedback.
    -SC

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

you actually need to play the game first. And playing the game isn't as easy as watching.
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Yeah, no matter how quick I am. It takes me an entire month to finish an RPG.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Lightbulb

Originally posted by spcnet
    Yeah, adding a game review section would require a completely different review template, one where a reviewer can choose a game console for one (though that should just be a matter of adding a new database table ). I was considering adding a book review (for the nerd inside of me) section too but all that seems too tangent from the site right now as CrazyT mentioned. So I'd definitely want to add more review categories in the future but only after the rest of the site is up to speed with updates.

But yeah, why not write the game review in the Gaming forum for now? It will at least get instantaneously updated and available for reading and feedback.
    I concur ...umm..I agree with these ideas.

For anyone interested in writing game reviews, they can certainly write them and post them in the Game/Anime Forum and it would be in one thread so people wouldn't have to go looking for all of them and it would be read only. If people had questions, they could PM the reviewer for questions.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I wrote a review for a game here but when I submit it, the screen says I'm not logged in and when I do log in again it says the thread doesn't exist.

Originally posted by Dagger Lee
    I wrote a review for a game here but when I submit it, the screen says I'm not logged in and when I do log in again it says the thread doesn't exist.
    Do you still have the review saved somewhere in your computer? I just think you forgot to login to your acct and so when you're not logged in, you can't post. So sadly to say, your thread does not exist. So remember to login first.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I logged in and I'm pretty sure of that. I wrote the review twice and the same thing happened. No, I didn't save it on my computer.

Originally posted by Dagger Lee
    I logged in and I'm pretty sure of that. I wrote the review twice and the same thing happened. No, I didn't save it on my computer.
    Hmm..does that happen when you post anything in the Games/Anime Forum?

I don't know why it's not working for you. Perhaps, you can PM me the review and I'll make a thread.

It only happened when I write a review. Don't know what's wrong. I'll pm you with the review later. Thanks.

EDIT: Oop. I just read your message more carefully. So you wrote the review on the forum. That I have no control over.

I'm gonna keep this message here for those who are curious.

-----------------------

The review system is keeping your user information using a session instead of cookies. And the thing with session is that it expires after a certain amount of idle time. You probably took too long to write your review and when you went to click submit, your session already expired...which mean you're no longer logged in. So my recommendation would be to write your review in Wordpad (don't use Notepad as you will have a tendency to add extra breakline) and then cut and paste the review into our system.

My goal is to eventually have the review system using cookies instead but I'm way too busy with finals to learn how to use it. Maybe in a few months time.

I think the board log itself off or your internet setting log you off after a moment of dull activity (on the web) since you are not surfing or moving from page to page.

I should start writing game reviews... starting but I don't play chinese games much... maybe is time to start again.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ