Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing the feats of Xiao Feng and Shi Potian

Default Comparing the feats of Xiao Feng and Shi Potian

Shi Potian:
    便在此时,白自在已将史婆婆接住,没想到这一飞之势中,包含着石破天雄浑之极的内力,白自在站立不定,退了 一步,喀喇一声,双足将甲板踏破了一个大洞,跟着坐倒,却仍将史婆婆抱在怀中,牢牢不放。

Xiao Feng:
    忽听得呼的一声响,半空中一根竹棒掷了下来,正是乔峰反手将打狗棒飞送而至。徐长老伸手去接,右手刚拿到竹 棒,突觉自手掌以至手臂、自手臂以至全身,如中雷电轰击般的一震。他急忙放手,那竹棒一掷而至的余劲不衰, 直挺挺的插在地下泥中。

Which is more impressive?

(and yeah, it is kind of a loaded question )
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

A little translation for us poor, Chinese-illiterate Western barbarians?

Please?

This one!

不料灰衣僧指风点处,两人胸口一麻,便即摔倒,跟着
    那判官笔从段誉肩头反跃而出,拍的一声,插入地下。段正淳和巴天石摔倒后,立即翻身跃
    起,不禁骇然。这灰衣僧显然是手下留情,否则这两个虚点便已取了二人性命。
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Dear CC, in case you didn't notice, I'm trying to compare the feat of strictly the Throwing Objects to Other People kind. ;0)

[ignore ken mode - ob] -- seems that PJ and CC are ignoring u
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    A little translation for us poor, Chinese-illiterate Western barbarians?
    I'm nearly Chinese illiterate too, let me try translating those descriptions, hope an MA in English as you will tolerate my awful English , anyway I can ensure one thing that the literal meaning of the translation will agree with the original's.

1. Shi Potian:
    便在此时,白自在已将史婆婆接住,没想到这一飞之势中,包含着石破天雄浑之极的内力,白自在站 立不定,退了 一步,喀喇一声,双足将甲板踏破了一个大洞,跟着坐倒,却仍将史婆婆抱在怀中,牢牢不放。
    At that time, Bai Zizai had just caught Granny Shi already, but he couldn't have ever thought that in the arrival of Granny Shi was contained such an extremely powerful inner energy of Shi Potian that he lurched and took one step backward, a cracking noise resounded when his two feets trampled on the floor boards piercing a big hole on the ship floor, Bai Zizai flopped down yet he still hold Granny Shi tight in his arms.

2. Xiao Feng:
    忽听得呼的一声响,半空中一根竹棒掷了下来,正是乔峰反手将打狗棒飞送而至。徐长老伸手去接, 右手刚拿到竹 棒,突觉自手掌以至手臂、自手臂以至全身,如中雷电轰击般的一震。他急忙放手,那竹棒一掷而至 的余劲不衰, 直挺挺的插在地下泥中。
    Suddenly everyone heard a whir and saw a bamboo stick falling from the air, it was Qiao Feng who threw the stick back. Elder Xu reached his arm to catch the stick but when his right arm aproached the bamboo stick, unexpectedly, an energy stream from his palm transmitted throughout his arm, then from his arm spread over his body making him feel as if he had just been struck by lightning. He hastily let go the stick. The stick, with the energy stored in it decreased not a bit, plunged straightly into the ground.

Honestly I think Shi Potian's feat is far more impressive, since at the time of the throw he was standing on the surface of an OCEAN (!!!!!), not a stable base.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Thanks for the translation.

What's funny is that in China, if one can walk on the surface of the ocean, it simply means that one has great hing gung/martial arts.

In the West, it means you're the Son of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    Honestly I think Shi Potian's feat is far more impressive, since at the time of the throw he was standing on the surface of an OCEAN (!!!!!), not a stable base.
    Right, but Qiao Feng probably just threw the dog-beating stick back casually. The object sent an unbearable shock to Elder Xu's body, making the dog-beating stick propelled by Qiao Feng's internal energy untouchable. While Granny Shi's body was very touchable by Bai Zizai.

I think XF had the more impressive accomplishment. SPT's inner power couldn't have been that extreme if all it did was cause Bai Zizai to take one step backwards and fall down, breaking the floor. XF just tossed the stick backwards and Elder Xu felt as if he was struck by lightning. Then he let go of the stick and the stick continued to move as if Elder Xu had never touched it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Dear CC, in case you didn't notice, I'm trying to compare the feat of strictly the Throwing Objects to Other People kind. ;0)

指风点处

Dear PJ, I am using a technicality to argue that a mass of air can also be counted as an 'Object'.

But then again, if comparing 'throwing objects' was the intention of your question, why did you neglect the Master of TOAM?

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    指风点处

Dear PJ, I am using a technicality to argue that a mass of air can also be counted as an 'Object'.
    For the sake of standards, I was talking with regards to objects which weighed at least 1.5 kilograms.

But then again, if comparing 'throwing objects' was the intention of your question, why did you neglect the Master of TOAM?
    Well, due to the extreme distance involved, the head of Island Leader Qu did not send a shock through Boss Wu's body. But had the head been tossed in a shorter distance, indeed it could have struck the intercepter with unparalled force.

Right, but Qiao Feng probably just threw the dog-beating stick back casually. The object sent an unbearable shock to Elder Xu's body, making the dog-beating stick propelled by Qiao Feng's internal energy untouchable. While Granny Shi's body was very touchable by Bai Zizai.
    Pls bear in mind that when you are throwing a human to save her life you logically do not throw her with such force that no one can catch her and she will go splat into the deck of the boat

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    Pls bear in mind that when you are throwing a human to save her life you logically do not throw her with such force that no one can catch her and she will go splat into the deck of the boat
    While I completely agree, I must also mention that when Qiao Feng threw the one and only dog-beating stick in the world, he obviously did not want to put so much force into it that it shattered on impact. So I think he probably held back some as well.

While I completely agree, I must also mention that when Qiao Feng threw the one and only dog-beating stick in the world, he obviously did not want to put so much force into it that it shattered on impact. So I think he probably held back some as well.
    I think its the other way round. He put force into it so that it wouldn't shatter. There are many instances in JY stories where the weapon gets charged with inner force and becomes tougher. QF was probably doing that to the stick.

I think its the other way round. He put force into it so that it wouldn't shatter. There are many instances in JY stories where the weapon gets charged with inner force and becomes tougher.
    Yes, such as SWORD GOD putting enough real qi into the thin delicate blade, so that it could be thrusted into a solid granite pole, which Jin Yong explained was a very difficult thing to do.

QF was probably doing that to the stick.
    Is it possible that Shi Potian also put more force into Granny Shi so that she wouldn't shatter?
    Last edited by PJ; 02-14-07 at 05:31 AM.

Is it possible that Shi Potian also put more force into Granny Shi so that she wouldn't shatter?
    Hmmm, maybe. Probably anti 'splatter' instead of 'shatter'. So that if she hit the deck if Bai was butterfingered, she wouldn't get hurt.

no it is not, since the dog beating stick is very firm and homogeneous in matter density, whereas a human body has a lot of different organisms with different levels of strength. if you put too much energy into a body, you can protect some parts but maybe some other parts would be injured, therefore transferring internal energy into the stick to protect it is probably far easier than doing that with a woman.
    Hmmm, maybe. Probably anti 'splatter' instead of 'shatter'. So that if she hit the deck if Bai was butterfingered, she wouldn't get hurt.
    LOL
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-14-07 at 07:00 AM.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

therefore transferring internal energy into the stick to protect it is probably far easier than doing that with a woman.

LOL
    I agree it's easier with a stick, but that doesn't necessarily conclude Shi Potian put less effort than Xiao Feng.

let's just compare XF's and SPT's cases:

1. the thrown objects:
    Granny Shi: 45+ kg (standard for an Asian woman) and has big shape --- The Dog beating stick: 3 kg (guess so, since i'm not sure, but in LOCH it's said to be rather light) and rather small and smooth.

2. the complicacy and strength in composition of the thrown objects:
    Granny Shi is ~ 70 yrs old --- The Dog beating stick is nearly undestroyable.

3. the throwers' situations at the time of the tosses:
    SPT was holding Ah Xiu by his right arm and was floating on a plank on the surface of the ocean --- Xiao Feng was standing on the ground.

4. Mentality:
    SPT was in normal mode --- Xiao Feng was in rage mode.

5. The catchers:
    Bai Zizai is probably slightly better than Elder Xu in MA.

Bai Zizai took 1 step back, made a big hole on the deck and flopped down but managed to catch and hold Granny Shi --- Touching the stick, Elder Xu felt as if being struck by lightning so he had to let go of it, his catch did NOT have any effect on the stick, it continued to plunge into the ground.

=> SPT wins 3 out of 5 comparative criteria so his feat more impressive than XF's by a rate of 3/2 .
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 02-15-07 at 03:23 AM.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

let's just compare XF's and SPT's cases:

1. the thrown objects:
    Granny Shi: 45+ kg (standard for an Asian woman) and has big shape --- The Dog beating stick: 3 kg (guess so, since i'm not sure, but in LOCH it's said to be rather light) and rather small and smooth.
    3kg for a small bamboo stick? Try 800g or thereabout.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."