Page 14 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Shu Chang

Yeah, competition in mainland IS really intense. But SC's acting skills are, IMO, much better than many others, and at such a young age, too. She really shows a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it seems like her looks aren't the type that directors and producers really go for a lot, even if I think she's quite pretty. (Then again, I'm a girl, and most directors/producers are guys, so they probably have quite different mindsets! ) But it brings me back to the eyecandy point--there is so much female eyecandy around because lots of the male directors etc. go for them, and they know that male audiences love them too. Take LYF, for example--yes, I heard that her acting improved SUBSTANTIALLY in ROCH, but honestly, when she started (like in "Jin Fen Shi Jia" and TLBB), I was seriously unimpressed by her acting. Sure, she's really pretty, but I felt that the large roles she was getting just didn't match up with her talent. For SC, it's the opposite--the little roles she's getting also doesn't match up with her talent, and I think she's only marginally less pretty than LYF (actually, from some angles, I think SC's more beautiful).

For guys, it's different. Male actors can't land roles by looks alone (which is the way it should be done, IMO). They have to have talent to get large roles, and a lot of the times, very good-looking actors are less talented than average-looking actors, so the average-looking ones get the roles. Again, this is the right way to go (though I wouldn't mind some eyecandy, either! ). It only irks me because there are different standards for actors and actresses, which is supremely unfair. But hey, this isn't going to change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake
    So yeah, the next series she'll be appearing in is basically these two modern series, no news of what she's going to do next...
    oh... i prefer seeing her in ancient and fighting!

I don't think she should go in Taiwan productions... haven't been any good ones for ages

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    oh... i prefer seeing her in ancient and fighting!

I don't think she should go in Taiwan productions... haven't been any good ones for ages
    There is a series out there called "精卫填海" where Shu Chang acts as the daughter of the Sun God. I thought the series was good and Shu Chang was the leading female actress in there so you might like it. There is action in there but mostly CGI action but Shu Chang was great and funny in the series. I could upload an episode if you want and you can try it out.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/SilverOverlord/U92P28T3D541944F326DT20041023195831.jpg')
    If you started, you must finished.
    If you do it, you must give it all.

Yeah, competition in mainland IS really intense. But SC's acting skills are, IMO, much better than many others, and at such a young age, too. She really shows a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it seems like her looks aren't the type that directors and producers really go for a lot, even if I think she's quite pretty. (Then again, I'm a girl, and most directors/producers are guys, so they probably have quite different mindsets! ) But it brings me back to the eyecandy point--there is so much female eyecandy around because lots of the male directors etc. go for them, and they know that male audiences love them too. Take LYF, for example--yes, I heard that her acting improved SUBSTANTIALLY in ROCH, but honestly, when she started (like in "Jin Fen Shi Jia" and TLBB), I was seriously unimpressed by her acting. Sure, she's really pretty, but I felt that the large roles she was getting just didn't match up with her talent. For SC, it's the opposite--the little roles she's getting also doesn't match up with her talent, and I think she's only marginally less pretty than LYF (actually, from some angles, I think SC's more beautiful).

For guys, it's different. Male actors can't land roles by looks alone (which is the way it should be done, IMO). They have to have talent to get large roles, and a lot of the times, very good-looking actors are less talented than average-looking actors, so the average-looking ones get the roles. Again, this is the right way to go (though I wouldn't mind some eyecandy, either! ). It only irks me because there are different standards for actors and actresses, which is supremely unfair. But hey, this isn't going to change anytime soon.
    Some people find it very offensive when I say "She doesn't have leading role looks" There are quite a lot of actresses out that looks better than SC. Talent or not, many more people want to see eye candy actresses and actors. If you put SC and the other actresses(GYY, YM, etc)...those actresses will make more money for the movie or series. Even if you have a lot of talent, but if you cant get the big roles or parts you want...your talent is just a waste....it really sucks...but that's life.

She hasn't improved too much with her acting at all (Lyf that is) but she still gets all the limelight and attention cos shes the most flavourable thing currently.
    They kept her for series cos they know 13-15 year old boys are obsessively attractive to her and 50 year old paedophiles too. The producers knew they were gonna make money from her no matter how crap the series is.
    Tne theory works like this:
    Have millions of worthless slow mo close up shots of lyf, don't give a flying fook about the storyline, just more shots on lyf = Big money

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    She hasn't improved too much with her acting at all (Lyf that is) but she still gets all the limelight and attention cos shes the most flavourable thing currently.
    They kept her for series cos they know 13-15 year old boys are obsessively attractive to her and 50 year old paedophiles too. The producers knew they were gonna make money from her no matter how crap the series is.
    Tne theory works like this:
    Have millions of worthless slow mo close up shots of lyf, don't give a flying fook about the storyline, just more shots on lyf = Big money
    yea. good producers out to make series with good actors and actresses never seem to make a lot of money

There were so many pointless shots of LYF in roch... bascially 'display of beauty' Maybe that's why Shu CHang isn't making it big, whcih is really stupid -.-

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    They kept her for series cos they know 13-15 year old boys are obsessively attractive to her and 50 year old paedophiles too.
    ROFL. Haha, that's actually so true though.

But really, I don't even mind THAT much that Shu Chang isn't as big as some other actresses right now. I mean, sure it'd be great if she could get bigger roles (and she definitely deserves it, for sure!). However, she's still young (even younger than LYF I believe), and she already got this far, which is no easy feat considering she's an orphan with not nearly the amount of support that other actresses (*cough*LYF*cough*) get. Besides, she's still much more well known than many other actresses in China, no matter how unfair it seems compared to the big-name actresses. I'm sure she'll get more opportunities in the future. Plus, she can work her way up out of the limelight. Sometimes I feel sorry for very famous actresses like Vicki and LYF--tabloids are over them like crazy. I was personally shocked at some of the accusations that LYF got--ranging from she's actually older and lying about her age, to she was pregnant and got an abortion at age 15. Just--WHAT?! It's totally unfair to her and I wonder how she reacts to all of those unfounded rumours.

But back to SC--I do hope she keeps working hard and doesn't get discouraged if she doesn't land the big roles immediately.

Whew--I meant to stop here and post a quick answer to a question...I think I've gone a bit overboard here with the discussion. Apologies if I went off-topic several times...

Apologies if I went off-topic several times...
    Ha, don't we all

as for the fame thing, well shu chang has a small but strong fan base and most people enjoy watching her act. She's well known in china, but the directors have been ignoring her. I guess it'd be bad if she was in the same position as LYF... LYF too much hype right now

LYF rumours are crappy. 1 says she is a transexual(male->female) another says she got an abortion...very contradicting...

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    Ha, don't we all

as for the fame thing, well shu chang has a small but strong fan base and most people enjoy watching her act. She's well known in china, but the directors have been ignoring her. I guess it'd be bad if she was in the same position as LYF... LYF too much hype right now
    hype or no hype.... put LYF and SC in the same series and role....LYF would make more money for the productions and more people will want to see her in it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    hype or no hype.... put LYF and SC in the same series and role....LYF would make more money for the productions and more people will want to see her in it.
    That would be because LFY looks prettier tan Shu Chang in the eyes of most auidence. People these days are just perverted bastards who loves eyecandy on the screen.

correction: pedophiles prefer lyf
    shu chang is talented and there are people who prefer her beauty and enjoy her talent except they're not as vocal, they're generally more mature and don't go to other actresses threads to trash that particular actress.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Godslayer
    That would be because LFY looks prettier tan Shu Chang in the eyes of most auidence. People these days are just perverted bastards who loves eyecandy on the screen.
    perverted? i dont know about that...there are quite a lot of ladies that prefer to see LYF over SC.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    correction: pedophiles prefer lyf
    shu chang is talented and there are people who prefer her beauty and enjoy her talent except they're not as vocal, they're generally more mature and don't go to other actresses threads to trash that particular actress.
    I know you're referring to me.

Correction: pedophiles prefer LYF but what about the millions of her female fans?

I have nothing against SC. I'm just stating facts.

Between LYF and SC, LYF will make more money for the productions.

perverted? i dont know about that...there are quite a lot of ladies that prefer to see LYF over SC.
    You know what I mean. You don't have to take my comments literally.

Correction: pedophiles prefer LYF but what about the millions of her female fans?

Some crazy lesbians out there yah? OR bisexuals.. The world may never know
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

The girls just dream of being like LYF because of her popularity among the boys.
    Who wouldn't want the looks/popularity she has?
    the people who look the most innocent often aren't

Ok, LYF gets producers lots of money, blah blah blah, yada yada yada. WE ALL KNOW THAT. Now can we get past this moot point of discussion? Because frankly, I don't think any of us here about it that much, it certainly doesn't make me less of a SC fan just because her series don't make as much money.
    Besides, I don't think her millions of female fans are half as crazy over her as her male fans are--at least, I'm sure they don't drool over her every picture (uh...unless they're lesbian, of course...as Sugar pointed out. )
    (Yeesh, you're making me sound like I'm against LYF or something...when I'm really not--she still ranks as one of the top actresses on my list.)

Anyways...I guess SC fans are just less shallow than some other people out there...*whistles innocently*

Anyways...I guess SC fans are just less shallow than some other people out there...*whistles innocently*
    hehe perhaps lar

Well.. i am a sucker for underdogs. Anyone that is not popular but clearly does have talent.. i feel bad for
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07