Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the weapons of Condor Trilogy

I'm not entirely sure that the original Heavy Iron Sword was necessarily superior to its progeny, the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre (especially the latter, which had comparable weight and mass). When Gwok Jing and Wong Yung forged the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre, they did not rely entirely on the raw material provided by the Heavy Iron Sword. That would not have been enough to forge TWO new weapons of the combined weight and mass of the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. Additional metals were incorporated into the material that composed the Heavy Iron Sword, creating an alloy likely superior to that of the Iron Sword's.

Those were just expensive metals/gems: not even as strong as the material from the Heavy Iron Sword. If they were stronger, then they wouldn't need to melt the Heavy Iron Sword; they would just use more expensive metals to forge two new ones.

Originally posted by immakiku
    Those were just expensive metals/gems: not even as strong as the material from the Heavy Iron Sword. If they were stronger, then they wouldn't need to melt the Heavy Iron Sword; they would just use more expensive metals to forge two new ones.
    But the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre used all of the metal of the original Heavy Iron Sword PLUS those additional metals. How could they be any weaker? For what reason would Gwok Jing and Wong Yung dilute the chemical composition of what made the Heavy Iron Sword so durable to begin with? If anything, they'd work to enhance it.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    But the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre used all of the metal of the original Heavy Iron Sword PLUS those additional metals. How could they be any weaker? For what reason would Gwok Jing and Wong Yung dilute the chemical composition of what made the Heavy Iron Sword so durable to begin with? If anything, they'd work to enhance it.
    Adding extra metals to the original composition of the heavy iron sword to produce the heaven sword and dragon sabre does not necessarily make the later two stronger and better.

It could be just because there's not enough metal from the original heavy iron sword.

Yes, it could enhance them somehow but it could also make them weaker than the original heavy iron sword.

Is there an evidence or statements from the novel that support this arguments ?

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    They needed two blades from the materials found in one original. They diluted it with metals in a way to keep the blades at fairly large sizes but also at the same time not too much weaker than the original.

Think of a sword made of titanium. You then split the blade into two, having two dagger-sized blades. You then take one of those half-blades, melt it, and reforge with, say, iron. If you clash a pure titanium blade against the diluted titanium blade, the pure blade would obviously come out on top.

It is true that some alloys can be made into stronger alloys after being diluted, but this can't be the case with GJ and HR. One, they didn't know what metal the sword was. Two, the technology back then wasn't good enough to combine metals into better metals. Three, they more or less just melted the metal, studded and lined it with gems/metals, and hollowed the blades out.

apparently they mixed "fine gold" with the iron sword metal which would most likely be iridium because my sis, who read the chinese book, said that the metal was extraterrestial metal. i doubt that gold would make anything stronger, apart from enhancing the power to electrocute yourself.

Originally posted by Carefree Assassin
    apparently they mixed "fine gold" with the iron sword metal which would most likely be iridium because my sis, who read the chinese book, said that the metal was extraterrestial metal. i doubt that gold would make anything stronger, apart from enhancing the power to electrocute yourself.
    Extraterrestrial? So the additonal metal came from a meteor that had crashed on Earth?

Originally posted by Carefree Assassin
    Iridium is a chemical element in the periodic table that has the symbol Ir and atomic number 77. A heavy, very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family, iridium is used in high strength alloys that can withstand high temperatures and occurs in natural alloys with platinum or osmium. Iridium is notable for being the most corrosion resistant element known and for its association with the demise of the dinosaurs. It is used in high temperature apparatus, electrical contacts, and as a hardening agent for platinum.

The principal use of iridium is as a hardening agent in platinum alloys.

Iridium is found uncombined in nature with platinum and other platinum group metals in alluvial deposits. Naturally occurring iridium alloys include osmiridium and iridiosmium, both of which are mixtures of iridium and osmium. It is recovered commercially as a by-product from nickel mining and processing. Iridium is also found on meteors and asteroids.

So as it stands, the heavy iron sword is still the most powerful weapon of the condor trilogy.

Nope, if the metal that is used in addition with the base metal from YG heavy sword is indeed iridium and GJ or whoever forged the HS and DS knows what they are doing, then the alloy of HS and DS is definitely better.

I'd say DS is numero uno while HS is numero secondo followed closely by YG heavy sword.

I kind of rate the Dragon Sabre higher. Cuz, not only is it as heavy as the Iron Sword, but it's sharp too. It's not neccessarily any weaker than the Iron Sword just because it's mixed.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Sharp swords are flimsier than heavy swords. The Heavy Iron Sword was made to be never broken while the Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber was made to be broken. Besides, do you think JY would want his precious DGQB's sword to be weaker than HS and DS?

If you count people who are capable of using it to the max than that little stick of Dugu (don't think dirty) is the ultimate weapon in the Condor Trilogy.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Of course, Dragon Sword and Heavey Sword were only designed to be breakable by each others. It can meet head on to other weapons like the Fire Emblems without being damaged. It probably would not break if it meet head on with the Iron Sword.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Fire Emblems is nothing compared to the Heavy Iron Sword. It is a weapon designed to NEVER break even when an extreme amount of power is channeled through it without enforcing it.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Originally posted by Ardor
    Fire Emblems is nothing compared to the Heavy Iron Sword. It is a weapon designed to NEVER break even when an extreme amount of power is channeled through it without enforcing it.
    I don't think it was mentioned to be ever specifically designed for powring up large amount of internal energy in it without breaking. Both the DS and HS can do the same. And as much as the Iron Sword is invincible, HR and GJ melted it didn't they? While I think it wasn't possible for DS and HS to be distroy in HSDS without slamming them together.

Why do people assume Heavy Iron sword is automatically stronger because it's made of Iron? Iron isn't the the strongest metal for sword making... And the way the sword is forged makes a lot of difference in its strength.
    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Start

According to my little research, and if the info given by Carefree is accurate, iridium strengthens the metal from YG's sword thus making HS and DS stronger, more durable and corrosion resistant

Originally posted by Vicious
    Why do people assume Heavy Iron sword is automatically stronger because it's made of Iron? Iron isn't the the strongest metal for sword making... And the way the sword is forged makes a lot of difference in its strength.
    We call it the Iron Sword, but it's not actually iron......

Originally posted by Vicious
    Its some kinda steel i think instead of plain old iron. Iron is hard but brittle and rust very easily.

Originally posted by Xiao Feng
    According to my little research, and if the info given by Carefree is accurate, iridium strengthens the metal from YG's sword thus making HS and DS stronger, more durable and corrosion resistant
    Got anything to prove it ? If so, then we can change the ranking to :

1. DS
    2. HS
    3. HIS