Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the film 2046

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Every single Wong Kar Wai films is praised like the moon, made is sound as if is the best thing on earth since, well, sliced bread. And despite this, he has yet to get himself an Oscar nomination.
    This is not true since he won Best Director at canne 1997 for "Happy together" and even if he hasn't won anything that doesn't mean that he's better or worst than anyone who have won it. Steven Spielberg for example has won only the award for "Best screenplay" at canne. Does that make him worst director than Tarantino who won a "Palm d'or" at canne, of course not. Mozart works was not understood by those of his time and now it became a classic. Go look at imdb and you will see that Wong Kar Wai has so much nomination and awards. Recently, Sofia Cappola said that she admires WKW a lot and was very influence by it. Nicole Kidman has praised his works and will be working with him in Lady of shanghai. Steven Sodenberg wanted to work with him so much and they made Eros.

but his works are so usually reek of pretentiousness (especially the later ones) that in the end, I feel that his movies do not have the sincerity he once had anymore. And when people accuse him of being a guy who made the films solely for the awards, I find it difficult not to disagree.

Now that everybody's hopped onto his bandwagon without even watching the particular movie before, I am starting to feel even more apprehensive.

All I can say is this, thanks to 2046, the other movies shown in Cannes get no love.
    I don't think that WKW is the only director that wants an award, every artist wants recognition but saying that he does a movie just to win the award is not true and not true for most artists. He's not like that because those that are like that would have not done a movie like 2046. Movie that always won at canne are movies about wars or sex with big drama. His works are just something that is very simple, it come from his experiences and culture, but he tell it in a very unique way. Every stories that he have done has always share the same theme. 2046 is a lot like Days of being wild but as WKW have said that his vision of life have change and evoluated with time thus making him wants to tell his story in a different way.

Anyhow now 2046 is playing a France and the reviews and respond has been great. For me I prefer 2046 to In the mood for love because the story is so much more touching and Gong Li is in it.

Hm. Apparently, my lines were taken out of context, and that whatever praises I gave him subsequently were ignored.

Fine, a person cannot be judged solely by the awards he had won, but it is ridiculous that every Tom, Dick or Harry who won the Palme D'Or over a WKW movie had to be accused of being undeserving. And all of a sudden, WKW had became everyone's darling and favourite director in this forum, and that he didn't win anything thus he was ROBBED and all. It must have felt great undermining the achievements of the winner. 'Oh, looky looky, some other movie beside WKW's stuff won the award! THEY SUCK! THEY DON'T DESERVE AWARD AT ALL!! WKW FOREVER!!!'

To you, he is merely an artist trying to show people his vision, merely trying to tell a story, show people a piece of life, to me, although I do agree with some of that, appreciate it even, to me, his movies are STILL pretentious. Many apologies, but I just don't share everyone's affection of his works. I may get his works, I might have even tried emulating some of his techniques for my entry in my uni's short film competition, but I don't think they are the best thing in the world since sliced bread.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 11-06-04 at 12:33 PM.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Bah. Wong Kar Wai can just make a movie about him taking a dump .
    Sounds like Wong Kar Chng (Too bad if you dont understand hokkien)

I don't understand Hokkien.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Kar Chng is hokkien word for anus.

i finally got to watch this movie yesterday. hey it's good! i really pity zhang zi yi here!
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)