Thread: If Yi Deng were in Shaolin

Default If Yi Deng were in Shaolin

If Yi Deng instead of going to the temple that he'd gone, but instead entered, Shaolin, what do you guys think his martial arts will be? Sweeper Monk said that the kinder your heart is, the more of the 72 techniques of Shaolin you can master. One monk in DGSD mastered 13, but finally got paralyzed due to pushing himself too hard. As an enlightened monk, and as one of the most talented mart art trainer, do you guys think that he would have been able to master more than 13 arts of Shaolin?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

1D of the *young* (back when he first learnt XTG from WCY, when he was still the King of Dali) might have some ambition to learn martial arts, whereas 1D the monk was much wiser IMHO. He after all skipped the 2nd Hua Shan Tournament because he didn't think of pursuing fame anymore. Granted he still liked martial art back then, and supposedly if he was admitted to Shaolin he could be more powerful. But I'm not sure whether or not he would learn more than 13 Shaolin skills, not because he might not be able to master them, but more because he might not be too ambitious anymore to learn many martial arts.

learning more of the shaolin 72 arts doesn't necessarily mean he'll be more powerful, granted that 1YZ is one of the most powerful thing in the world and TXG is probably nothing inferior to shaolin arts. afterall, it's quality, not always quantity that counts, right?

If he chose to learn and master JGZ, there is a possibility that in turn he could strengthen his YYZ, thus he would be able to write on stone Okay, that's just my own imagination on which among the 72 Shaolin skills he should choose. No supporting evidence, of course.

i really doubt he would considering tian long shi is the pinnacle monastery for dali kings.

Default Re: If Yi Deng were in Shaolin

Originally posted by superboy
    Sweeper Monk said that the kinder your heart is, the more of the 72 techniques of Shaolin you can master. One monk in DGSD mastered 13, but finally got paralyzed due to pushing himself too hard.
    I don't think it got anything to do with being kind, but rather it is ambition. The less ambition ones have to master martial art, the more he could learn.

and I agree with phillp that more doesn't mean better.

I think more would mean better in some cases if you actually mastered them instead of being half a bucket each. I think the monk that mastered 13 of shoalin's arts had the highest martial arts in Shaoling comparing to his martial art brothers. The more of Shaolin arts you can master also means the more able you are to learn and use shaolin art.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

I still can't get it, how come the kinder one's heart, the more likely he master 72 arts or something. anyone can enlighten me ?
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

I wonder if 1 Deng could have learned much in the way of martial arts from Shaolin during the L/ROCH era. This was a dark period in Shaolin's history. Any one of the Greats was probably far superior to any Shaolin monk in martial arts at the time (unless there was another Janitor Monk-type hiding in the Shaolin Temple). Shaolin was considered a has-been/also-ran martial arts sect during this period, and that wouldn't change until the time of HSDS.

Couldn't 1D learn by himself... okay, that would make him like that Fire-Worker Monk

The fighters of Shaolin was weak at that time, but the 72 arts of shaolin are still there.

Originally posted by ToOn99
    I still can't get it, how come the kinder one's heart, the more likely he master 72 arts or something. anyone can enlighten me ?
    It's not really kindness, but Buddhist enlightenment that is the 'key' to mastering Shaolin martial arts. One must not 'want' to succeed.

I reckon 1Deng would actually pick a few skills and work towards perfection. Jingang zhi is likely to be learned, to see if there is any transferable ideas to his YYZ I guess. YJJ, since it is so coveted. I guess that would actually be all.