Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: baseball again

Default baseball again

It looks like the original was deleted.

2 months into the season... I think I did jinx the cubbies by picking them hahaha. Prior down, Wood down, and Zambrano possibly later on as well.

MVP predictions: Berkman, looking good. Beltran, recent slump plus bad team = bad pick.

ROY: Neither Matsui nor Greinke looking like great picks, but not much competition.

Div picks: NYY, KC, OAK, BOS - looks like I get half of these right, but the A's could make a 2nd half run, esp if they get Beltran

PHI, CHN, SD, HOU - 2 maybe 3 out of 4 right. Pettitte's down again, but HOU still has deep, though fragile pitching. HOU should be winning more than it is now. The Reds are on top???

KC slump was a surprise for me... but I am a Twins fan so I didn't pick them to win the central. I think it is because of their pitching which is pretty bad. While the Twins surprise everyone with their punch 2 closer... which people thought they lost with the off season.

Pujlos is not doing as good this year too... which I really thought was an another suprise.

I really thougth the Mariners will pull thru the slump but I got a feeling that team might be splitting up soon as they stay in the bottom of their division and realize they can't do much to save the season.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

You left out how Sosa got on the DL for sneezing too hard.

Actually... I shouldn't laugh... it probably hurts real bad.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

That sosa injury's better than David Wells injury sustained while chasing his friend around the house. I wonder if it was a "lady friend."

James, sorry bout the Mariners, but they are done. I don't care about them anyway, oh well.

Surprise teams: Reds and Rangers. I don't think either can sustain unless they trade for an ace. Graves has 20 saves. Unbelievable. He's almost saved every single CIN win. So lucky.

But, Moose, Cheater, Giambi are some Yanks strugglin'. Nice!

Originally posted by flyingfox2002
    That sosa injury's better than David Wells injury sustained while chasing his friend around the house. I wonder if it was a "lady friend."
    I've a couple more "good" injuries. Kevin Mitchell (one of the biggest waste of talent I've ever came across) once injured himself by eating a cupcake too soon after it came out of the microwave.

Another pitcher (don't remember the name) once injured himself sleeping. He was on a rocking chair and his hand fell off underneath one of the rockers.

Graves has 20 saves. Unbelievable. He's almost saved every single CIN win. So lucky.
    Only on pace for 80 saves this season. Whoever picked him up on their fantasy team is buying a lottery ticket as we speak.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by flyingfox2002
    But, Moose, Cheater, Giambi are some Yanks strugglin'. Nice!
    Who is Cheater? Jeter?
    Flame on I am gone...

Speaking of fantasy baseball, my team stinks this yr. 9th out of 16 teams as of today. I drafted Klesko, Edgar Martinez, Wilkerson, Hinske, and Kearns. Yuck. At least I still have 4 months to turn thangs around. I picked Contreras off waivers and I will be a big yankee fan tonite as he's pitching... I am not confident about it at all LOL.

James, I have nicknames for a lot of the Yanks. Swinebrenner, Joe Sorry, Payrod, etc.

As for unbelievable baseball injuries. One player once missed games because of a strained eyelid. This one takes the cake.

The most pleasant surprise for me this season is Berkman. The guy is looking like a slightly lesser version of Barry Bonds out there. Great patience at the plate and mashes when he does make contact. How the Hell is he hitting #5 in the Astros lineup is beyond me. Then again, how could Bonds be hitting #4 is beyond me too...

Also, the Cubs medical staff seems to be either imcompetent or lying. It seems that they ALWAYS understate the extent of their injuries. Got to be annoying for Cubs fans.

I don't see how the Reds and the Rangers can keep up. Both are playing much better than their talent level would indicate. Both pitching staffs are bound to just implode in a another months or so, unless a lot of pitchers start having miraculous career seasons.

I've a couple more "good" injuries. Kevin Mitchell (one of the biggest waste of talent I've ever came across) once injured himself by eating a cupcake too soon after it came out of the microwave.

Another pitcher (don't remember the name) once injured himself sleeping. He was on a rocking chair and his hand fell off underneath one of the rockers.
    Then there's Jeff Kent, who managed to hurt himself while "washing his truck". You know, you really do expect these people to figure out good lies. I mean, at least ask the doctor for advice on these things.

I always consider the batter on the #4 slot the one that can hit for power and get on base... assuming that if the batters in front of you can get on base (clean up hitter)... and if the batters can get on base you are the next one up. But so far you see a lot of clean up hitting that can't tear up the base.

1 - Lead off hitting - just get on base plz (speed is the key)
    2 - Move the lead off hitting to scoring position (great bunter sacrifice hitter)
    3 - Drive in runners but should also a great extra base hitter (HR, Triple are great but Double is what I think is good here)
    4 - Clean up hitter... this guy should be scary... he should be able to drive everyone on base home plus if they are all home either hit homerun himself or get on base and causing havoc.
    5 - Another of those Clean up hitter but with much more speed (Insurance if the other team walk your clean up hitter so you have another threat to drive in runs)
    6 - Just get on base and try to score player #1 (average hitter and speed runner)
    7 - Just get on base and try to score player #2 (average hitter and speed runner)
    8 - Just get on base and try to score player #3 (average hitter and speed runner)
    9 - If you are in the National league this your pitcher slot if you are in the American league just get on base and try to score player #4 (average hitter and speed runner)
    Flame on I am gone...

Wow the National League Central looks really tight anyone can come out on the top there...
    Flame on I am gone...

We should see three 3 div races in the NL. Not too sure if we'll have great races in the AL because the difference between the haves and havenots are greater in the AL. Just watch the Yanks feast on the O's. It's sad. Expect more of the same in this upcoming series.

If Beltran gets traded to ANA or CHA, my prediction of Beltran for AL MVP could become true. My NL pick Berkman is doing great so far. If HOU wins, he should get MVP.

How many outfielder does ANA have now... if they get Beltran?
    Flame on I am gone...

I think ANA only has Figgins, Devannon, and Jose Guillen healthy among OF's. They do need Mondesi. ANA really has only 1 star hitter left - Vlad... and Guillen is a marginal star.

I still think OAK will win, but they just lost Chavez... it's all up in the air now.

All Star voting already started and here are the people who are leading for each of the position

AL so far
    C - Rodriguez (tigers) - not suprise, took Marlins to WS last year
    1B - Giambi (yanks) - not a bad choice
    2B - Soriano (rangers)- Leading AL voter so far
    SS - Garciaparra (red sox)- surpise since he hasn't play this year
    3B - Rodriguez (yanks) - do they have a good 3B in the AL beside A-rod?
    O1 - Ramirez (red sox) - Cool
    O2 - Damon (red sox) - Must be the beard and the long hair
    O3 - Guerrero (angels) - good choice glad he plays for a contender now.

NL so far
    C - Piazza (Mets) - Not a great catcher but a great hitter
    1B - Pujols (Cards) - had a slow start but picking it up
    2B - Kent (Astros) - I think since Sandberg, he is pretty good RBI machine
    SS - Everett (Astros) - no idea
    3B - Rolen (Cards) - Popular since NCAA baseball days
    O1 - Bonds (Giants) - Leading NL voter so far
    O2 - Sosa (Cubs) - Slamming Sam is popular
    O3 - Griffey Jr (Reds) - would be awsome if he become a starter one of the best fielder ever I have ever seen played.

Edit: for stupidity
    Last edited by James Ko; 06-02-04 at 04:18 PM.
    Flame on I am gone...

IROD is with DET, not Yankz. Everett is a sucky player who is playing over his head right now. But then the usual good NL SS's aren't having good yrs so far. Jack Wilson (PIT) is still more deserving than Everett though.

The fan voting is retarded. Most of them don't know anything about players on other teams except for the big name players, so obviously Nomah gets the nod now that PAYROD is a 3B and Cheater started slow. I suspect Cheater will be the starting SS in the game once the fans find out Cheater has broken out of his slump. If based on performance alone, Carlos Guillen of DET should be the starter.

Let's see the leading vote getters who don't deserve it:

AL: Giambi, Nomah, and Damon - looks like lotsa peeps from the East Coast stuffed the votes.

NL: Everett, Sosa, and Griffey. Sosa and Grif are just popular contests, while I'm surprised fans even know who Everett is. I thought goddam 95 year old Barry Larkin would be leading.

---

PS, the best hitting AL 3B thus far has been Melvin Mora (and arguably the best hitter, period), but there's no chance he's getting more votes than Payrod.
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 06-02-04 at 04:20 PM.

I think lot of younger generation have forgotten Larkin who start after the retirement of Ozzie... but after his MVP season he has been hurt a lot and there was always talk of him retiring.

And jack wilson is just playing in a small market team. I can name like 3 other Pirates that should be in the All Star this year but probably wouldn't.

One of the Surpise is where have all the Ichrio's fan go... he was the leading vote getting for 2 years I think... and he is not doing that bad this year either... 50 hits in May... wow.

I wonder when they are going to allow the public to vote for pitchers...
    Flame on I am gone...

Originally posted by Meh
    Also, the Cubs medical staff seems to be either imcompetent or lying. It seems that they ALWAYS understate the extent of their injuries. Got to be annoying for Cubs fans.
    That's an understatement. Considering how badly the Cubs have been bombarded with injuries thus far this season, I'm almost thankful that they're where they are in the standings.
    I'm looking forward to the St. Louis-Houston series this weekend. I hope they beat each other up and give the Cubbies a chance to move up.

How about the Pirates' Wilsons? They've both got very impressive batting averages more than a quarter of the way through the season. Who would have thunk it, eh?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Pujols is putting on some bad display now.... how many hr did he have for the last few weeks.

Isn't he the leading HR hitting now?
    Flame on I am gone...

Originally posted by James Ko
    Pujols is putting on some bad display now.... how many hr did he have for the last few weeks.

Isn't he the leading HR hitting now?
    Yep, he's been rocking. He definitely helped to power the Cardinals to their big sweep over the Pirates this week.

Omg, it's sooooo nice to finally have Mark Prior back in the Cubs' pitching rotation again. Unfortunately, his very impressive debut this season was marred by the bullpen. Grrrrrrr....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Adam Everett leading the votes just means how few good SS there are in the NL. Even so, I'm still amazed at how many votes he's getting. Perhaps they're being made by Yankees fans. I'd guess that when you're used to watching Derek Jeter, Everett must look like a superman playing shortstop.

Fan voting has always been stupid, but then again, it's about marketing. Not fairness. Everett might not crack the top 10 in terms of usefulness on the Astros team(with Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman, Hidalgo, Kent, Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt, Miller, Dotel, and possibly Ensberg having better seasons). If he makes the All-star team, there might be debates about whether he's the worst player to ever make the team.