Thread: A random thought on wuxia comics

Default A random thought on wuxia comics

A thought occurred to me while looking at the GL comic pics. Why does wuxia comic look so... American? I mean, all the ppl are ripped buff x1000 exaggerated like they do in Marvel or DC. It's like taking a page out of Marvel and dressing up Wolverine in period costume. Not just GL comics but other comics like Tony Wa or Ma comics (HSDS, Storm Riders) all have the hugely exaggerated musculature a la Superman.

Is this a norm in HK/Taiwan/China? If it is, why? It's the exaggerated musculature that's driven me away from American comics in the first place and it's kinda weird seeing them again as wuxia heroes.

I do not care that much about the muscles, but what turned me away from buying those comics was more on the clothing (especially on girls) and the dyed hair of the characters. Looks pretty weird to me.

Because comics is the extension of ones imagination, everything in it tends to be larger than life and exagerated somewhat. Men seem bigger, stronger...fights that tear down a whole city block, etc.

Just like in Cantopop, HK 'creative' people like to rip off from the West?

Well, it's just kinda weird. Cantopop has lots of j-pop influence, but not the comics. Manga has its share of buff guys, but there are many more Bruce Lee type defined, cut but svelt buff than X-Men buff in manga. That's the type I like. I don't like Arnold buff that seems to predominate the American comic and wuxia comic.

Weird HK/Taiwan comics aren't more like manga.

I tried to get into the Stormriders but those enormous pecs kinda drew me away.

i think HK comics are unique in thier own ways. as fake as they seem to be, some pictures in there sometimes look really real to me, almost like they putting a portait of someone in the comic once in a way. unlike D.C or any american comics, you can always tell its fake. even when alex rose draws it. you can tell HK comic drawers from american onces. i like the way they draw it. sometimes u need to make characters look more interesting. its really boring to see the same old crap over and over.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

i prefer HK comics style of drawing over the others... it's alot better, or shall i say more realistic... The drawings of JDSJ (Legendary Siblings) are fabulous too..
    Any Singaporeans interested in buying swords? Go here http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=KR-6&LOCATION=PHOTOS I'm looking for someone to split the Shipping Cost =) PM me...

Okay, to be honest some of them look rather good. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer *traditional looking* comic character like in these image 1, image 2, image 3 images, rather than *modern looking* comic character like in this image. Pretty good drawing, I must admit, but look weird to me nevertheless.
    Last edited by rabadi; 06-08-04 at 03:25 AM.

To each their own I guess. I think they are cheesy but cool. Hey it is a friggin' comic! Its all in the name of good ol' fantasy and fun.

they draw what sells, look at the ROCH and HSDS comics from comic one, they are okay, hong kong drawings, trying to be as "American" as possible, I think it has help just a little bit. but still, I think I am the only person buying them.
    JUST HERE TO ANNOY!!!!

Originally posted by JUST BOB
    they draw what sells, look at the ROCH and HSDS comics from comic one, they are okay, hong kong drawings, trying to be as "American" as possible, I think it has help just a little bit. but still, I think I am the only person buying them.
    I mentioned above that all those things "turned me away from buying those comics" but they do not necessarily turned me away from borrowing those comics from friends