Thread: Absence of the sword from Buddhist martial arts in wuxia?

Default Absence of the sword from Buddhist martial arts in wuxia?

In wuxia novels, films, and TV series, one notable trend is that Buddhist martial artists tend to use a variety of weaponry *except* for the standard wuxia weapon: the sword. This is a curious trend. The Buddhist martial artists at the Shaolin Temple, for example, are known to be trained in a variety of martial arts weaponry, including cudgels, sticks, spears, sabers, and even projectiles...but no swords. Conversely, Taoist-based sects use the sword almost by default: there was a Cheun Jen Sect Sword Technique, an Ancient Tomb Sect Sword Technique, a Mo Dong Sect Sword Technique, an Ngor Mei Sect Sword Technique, a Kwun Lun Sect Sword Technique, and a Mt. Hua Sect Sword Technique...but *never* a Shaolin Sword Technique.

I have a theory that perhaps Buddhist martial artists eschew the sword because it is a uniquely deadly weapon that is inconsistent with their pacifist creed (then again, so are martial arts and weaponry in general), but sabers, sticks, cudgels, and even empty hands can be deadly too if wielded by a skilled martial artist. Is there a reason why sword skills seem to be lacking in wuxia Buddhist martial arts?

Default Re: Absence of the sword from Buddhist martial arts in wuxia?

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    an Ngor Mei Sect Sword Technique
    Is Mei Jue Shi Tai a nun? I think she is. Er Mei's martial artists are Buddhist.

Default Re: Re: Absence of the sword from Buddhist martial arts in wuxia?

Originally posted by Thai guy
    Is Mei Jue Shi Tai a nun? I think she is. Er Mei's martial artists are Buddhist.
    I think wat Ken Chang really want to emphize was why there are no big appearence of Sword Art from Shaolin Skool.

Well, the Shaolin also have their own sword art which are mention abit in HSDS which translated by Athena

"The Jade Swordsmanship was created by Lin ChaoYing, this style was not only swift and fierce but also refined, elegant and beautiful. All the monks never saw something that beautiful, they were all surprised and pleased. Because ShaoLin sword styles were firm and fierce, for example, LuoHan and DaMo Swordsmanship. This Jade Maiden Swordsmanship was hardly known throughout the world of martial arts, the essence of it is the opposite of ShaoLin styles but when it comes to superiority of the stances, it is not above ShaoLin Swordsmanship. "

Well, for my 2cent opinion
    1. The monk will look very odd caring a sword and walk in the jiang hu.
    2.Mostly I see monk will use stick as their weapon armed with the Shaolin Stick Style knowledge. Maybe becoz stick is much more cheaper then sword because sword is made out of iron and stick is mostly bamboo or tree

Hahaha
    Swordsmanship’s Ultimate Ideal

Swordsmanship’s first achievement is the unify of man and sword. Once this unity is attained, even a blade of grass can be a weapon

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart, when absent from one's hand. One can strike an enemy at 100 paces even with bare hands

Swordsmanship’s ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world

-Broken Sword- , Hero

There are Shaolin techniques for every weapon, just that most JY works don't focus on Shaolin kung-fu except for YJJ so they only get passing mentions.