Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sword vs. Saber

Default Sword vs. Saber

In most of JY comics, sword reigned the throne as the king of weapon. The glorious moment of swordsmen was *probably* depicted in SOD. In Flying Fox, however, we see how Hu Fei preferred and handled saber and he was one among the first rate fighters in his era.

In wuxia comics like The Three Swordsmen (Dao Jian Xiao) and Crazy Guy (btw, that's the name of the comic series in my country, not sure if it's also the international name ), saber fighters were depicted as better than swordsmen.

Not too sure about GL, but perhaps in his universe swordsmen were also rated as better fighters than saber users.

What do you guys think, which one do you think is a better weapon, sword or saber? Which fighter do you prefer, a swordsman or a saber fighter? Which characteristics in the skills do you like more, a sword technique or a saber technique?

It depends on many factors. But, if I can choose, I think I prefer being a sword fighters. Obviously, I think sword techniques look more interesting. You can choose from wide range of technique. Sword technique seems to be more beautiful somehow.

However, as DGQB said, if you reached the pinnacle of kongfu, all the swords tend to be useless. You need neither sword nor sabre.

Personally, I prefer sabres.

Sword cuts both way, sabre cuts one way.

One emphasis on slashes and cuts. The other on thrushes and blocks.

Saber is easier to learn, harder to master.
    Sword is harder to learn, easier to master.

So for a beginner, saber.
    For an expert, sword.

Depends on the image I guess (everything is about image). Someone like XF would be better of with a big ol' bada$$ saber. Someone like LHC is better of with the prissy looking swords. YG has the best of both worlds, huge bada$$ sword.

Any opinion on Japanese Sword Art? Mostly when u see the way people training kenjutsu, it will not be as fancy as "Jian Fa" or "Dao Fa". But if u see those Japanese Samurai dramas, mostly they emphize on 1 strike kill. Not like those chinese wuxia where they exchange 100-200 stance .

Well maybe becoz Japanese way of telling story is mostly end with 1 strike . As for chinese way of telling story is to make it more interesiting by saying it fighting for almost 100-200 strike.

Any opinion?

Katana Characteristic
    - Usually 2 handed
    -Thrusting
    - Slashing
    - Drawing Slash
    Swordsmanship’s Ultimate Ideal

Swordsmanship’s first achievement is the unify of man and sword. Once this unity is attained, even a blade of grass can be a weapon

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart, when absent from one's hand. One can strike an enemy at 100 paces even with bare hands

Swordsmanship’s ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world

-Broken Sword- , Hero

Originally posted by Jian Shen
    Not like those chinese wuxia where they exchange 100-200 stance
    Except for GL's novels, perhaps.

Originally posted by Han Solo
    Sword cuts both way, sabre cuts one way.

One emphasis on slashes and cuts. The other on thrushes and blocks.

Saber is easier to learn, harder to master.
    Sword is harder to learn, easier to master.

So for a beginner, saber.
    For an expert, sword.
    well i m not lending u my sword if ur gonna use it to block...swordsman dont block, they parry
    and for sabre its slash and hack...

i disagree... sword is both harder to master, sabre is easier to master...as to learning...that all depends on ur wu xing...but generally sword is always harder because its double edged...

sabre or chinese broadsword is based on speed and power, sword is based upon grace and fluidness...

and just for the record i m a sword person, but i can use either :P

but look at di yun in lain cheng jue, he seemed to have incorporated xue dao jing with lian cheng jian...

with katana...the one hit kill is called iado...way of the sword (drawing) ...its all about how they draw the sword. it was outlawed in japan before because too many samurai killing each other in double k.o. 's ...

in japanese katana , the thrust is not a very common characteristic, but when they do thrust its always with the edge upwards

Originally posted by Zhang San Feng
    well i m not lending u my sword if ur gonna use it to block...swordsman dont block, they parry

i disagree... sword is both harder to master, sabre is easier to master...as to learning...that all depends on ur wu xing...but generally sword is always harder because its double edged...

sabre or chinese broadsword is based on speed and power, sword is based upon grace and fluidness...

but look at di yun in lain cheng jue, he seemed to have incorporated xue dao jing with lian cheng jian...

with katana...the one hit kill is called iado...way of the sword (drawing) ...its all about how they draw the sword. it was outlawed in japan before because too many samurai killing each other in double k.o. 's ...

in japanese katana , the thrust is not a very common characteristic, but when they do thrust its always with the edge upwards
    Well, some correction Iaido is the way of drawing sword ( maybe ur typo ). The other term was Battoujutsu.

The thrusting was often used by a group known as Miburo the Shogunate anti-rebel group. The Captain of 1st Party known as Okita Souji was known for his style "Tengen Risshin-ryu" and the technic was called as Hiratsuki. Hiraskuki was invented by the Miburo 2nd Commander Toshizo Hizikata becoz they need a "One Hit Kill" which will definetly kill off the opponent in one shot.

Well I neve see any real chinese swordplay or Saber b4 except from movie, their stance and technic was rather alot of fancy form and jumping here and there. While if u look at kenjutsu, it is just a simple and boring looking training which hardly "beautiful". Not like those demonstrate in Rurouni Kenshin

Swordsmanship’s first achievement is the unify of man and sword. Once this unity is attained, even a blade of grass can be a weapon

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart, when absent from one's hand. One can strike an enemy at 100 paces even with bare hands

Swordsmanship’s ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world

-Broken Sword- , Hero

i did say sword (drawing) :P

hmm.. kendo like japanese swordcraft is simple, theres just the main basic moves with slight variations...if u look at kendo, its too linear... and constricted... only above waist, and u cant circle around them...

chinese martial arts emphasises the flexibility and fluidness of the human body hence the "fancy" moves, but every move has a purpose just that some ppl dont see it... take the twohanded praying that starts shaolin hand forms...thats a move not just some fancy religious pose

Jian Sun

your sig is very cool is that based off hero with Jet Li? What part is it?

The first part sounds like the end of the wooden sword stage where all answer my call to be my sword.

The second part sounds like finally reaching the sword without sword stage.

The last part.......enlightment? Letting go of all matters..thats not a martial arts theory is it? It's just giving up the sword for peace...
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

i did say sword (drawing) :P

hmm.. kendo like japanese swordcraft is simple, theres just the main basic moves with slight variations...if u look at kendo, its too linear... and constricted... only above waist, and u cant circle around them...

chinese martial arts emphasises the flexibility and fluidness of the human body hence the "fancy" moves, but every move has a purpose just that some ppl dont see it... take the twohanded praying that starts shaolin hand forms...thats a move not just some fancy religious pose
    Maybe like what Du Gu Qiu Bai said " use simplicity to overcome complexity" .

-Broken Sword- , Hero

his sig is from the talk between wu ming (no name) and chang jian (broken sword) about not killing ying zheng (qin wang...the king guy) ...

its all based upon the main theories of swordcraft...

you shen you jian, wu shen wu jian (withouth spirit theres no sword)
    shou zhong you jian, xin zhong you jian (sword in heart and hand)
    shou zhong wu jian, xin zhong you jian (sword in heart, no sword in hand)
    then there are others...like

jian zai ren zai...u become very attached to ur sword :P, u and the sword become one
    ren zai jian zai ... u are the sword, you dont need a sword because ur perfectly capable of been a sword :P

then there are many others...

Originally posted by Jian Shen
    Maybe like what Du Gu Qiu Bai said " use simplicity to overcome complexity" .
    perhaps...but to do that u have to have an understanding of the sword styles to get this, why do u think dugu had to evolve from fast and aggressive to flexible before coming to simplicity... simplicity is not about brute force and stupid direct moves...u have to know where and when to hit too...

Originally posted by duguxiaojing
    Jian Sun

your sig is very cool is that based off hero with Jet Li? What part is it?

The first part sounds like the end of the wooden sword stage where all answer my call to be my sword.

The second part sounds like finally reaching the sword without sword stage.

The last part.......enlightment? Letting go of all matters..thats not a martial arts theory is it? It's just giving up the sword for peace...
    Hahaha , it was during the part where Emperor Qin was ready to be killed by Wu Ming. Then Qin Shi Huang turn arround and look at the word "Jian" written by Charn Jian. Then he finally realize that word "Jian" was not displaying his swordplay, instead it display the Swordsmanship Ultimate Ideal of Charn Jian.

Well the 3rd stage was also frequently told by my master(I learned Kenjutsu and Iaido, so maybe I will be alittle bias ). He keep telling me that " What I thought you is not for u to use to fight with people. Think this is like an excersice of health". "The sword skill I thought u is not suitable to be use anywhere, but the Way of respect I thought u can be use everywhere"." If got anything, just call the police, they will settle for u". " Try to work out without fight, if you are really force to fight, then only u fight, even you lose, u have tried ur best and u should not have any regret". "Let say during the Samurai day, you kill "Kenshin", then Kenshin friend Sanasuke will avenge him. Then when u are killed by Sano, your friend will come and kill him. Then His fren will kill your fren and your fren fren will kill his fren. It will keep going like the counter-technic I thought u. There will forever be a way to break one technic. So why dun we have peace and sit down for a cup of coffee "?
    Well the above is what my master always said when we chat after the class. Thus, for me, I found the final stage from Broken Sword is kinda true

-Broken Sword- , Hero

perhaps...but to do that u have to have an understanding of the sword styles to get this, why do u think dugu had to evolve from fast and aggressive to flexible before coming to simplicity... simplicity is not about brute force and stupid direct moves...u have to know where and when to hit too...
    Hmm...agree with you

-Broken Sword- , Hero

Hahaha , it was during the part where Emperor Qin was ready to be killed by Wu Ming. Then Qin Shi Huang turn arround and look at the word "Jian" written by Charn Jian. Then he finally realize that word "Jian" was not displaying his swordplay, instead it display the Swordsmanship Ultimate Ideal of Charn Jian.
    O I C thx.

its all based upon the main theories of swordcraft...
    Cool where did you read these from?

simplicity is not about brute force and stupid direct moves...u have to know where and when to hit too...
    I wouldnt say stupid but YG's IS art was based on basic direct attacks with brute force. Yg realized with enough speed and power backed into the sword even a simple stab could not be countered by the most ingenious technique or blocked(due to iron sword). Yet there is a sword art even above YG's IS. YG later realized with overbearing internal power and/or incredible speed due to technique it is possible to overcome iron sword with wooden.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

I am defintinely wrong but i thought that
    1) Sword: Slashes and cuts
    2) Saber: Hack and Thrust

Anyway, since a sword have two edged surfaces, it would be more flexible hence more offensive orientated enabling a practitioner to kill easier.

While a saber have only one edged surface, hence it is harder to kill.

Therefore, sword is easier to master than saber.

Don't understand, pls explain.

Originally posted by Han Solo
    I am defintinely wrong but i thought that
    1) Sword: Slashes and cuts
    2) Saber: Hack and Thrust

Anyway, since a sword have two edged surfaces, it would be more flexible hence more offensive orientated enabling a practitioner to kill easier.

While a saber have only one edged surface, hence it is harder to kill.

I dont really agree here. Although sword is more flexible, it doesnt have to enable the user to kill easier. Remember the damage caused by one slash/ thrust of saber is much more fatal than one that caused by sword.
    I would say sword user tend to aim vital nerves of his/her opponent while the saber user doesnt care much about it, bcos as long as the sabre touch the opponent, it will caused considerable damage.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Originally posted by ToOn99
    I dont really agree here. Although sword is more flexible, it doesn't have to enable the user to kill easier. Remember the damage caused by one slash/ thrust of saber is much more fatal than one that caused by sword.
    I would say sword user tend to aim vital nerves of his/her opponent while the saber user doesnt care much about it, bcos as long as the sabre touch the opponent, it will caused considerable damage.

Not really. Either those weapons will cause considerable damage when used with proper technique and force.