Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on Mystery of Condor Heroes by JY

This series is actually pretty enjoyable though it kind of messed up on the timeline. Huang Rong's mother was revealed to be a Han later on in the story so that's why she didn't marry the Jin general.

There's also another side-story, I think it was Rise of the Taiji Master

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jian Shen
    What do you think about "Ashes of Time"? It was a story about young WYS,H7G and OYF.

Cast
    WYS = Tony Leung Ka Fai
    OYF = Leslie Cheung
    H7G = Jacky Cheung

eh, i thought it's Tony Leung Chiu-Wai

edit: nevermind, looked it up on IMDB and that guy is really in it, my mistake
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109688/
    Last edited by shanghai girls are hot; 12-04-05 at 08:45 AM.

OOT, does Jacky Cheung's H7G in Ashes of Time resemble his same role on The Eagle Shooting Heroes? Is he even a little bit funny? Does he include references to HL18P or his Dog Beating Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by yeung gor 2
    There's also another side-story, I think it was Rise of the Taiji Master
    Here are all of the side-stories/prequels made by TVB in the 90s:

Rage and Passion (1993)
    The Mystery of The Condor Hero (1993)
    Condor Heroes Return (1994)
    The Legend of The Golden Lion (1993)
    Rise Of The Taiji Master(1995)

Not a 90s, but there is also
    1989 Kim Mo Tuk Ku Kau Pai (Jian Mo Dugu Qiubai).

Quote Originally Posted by - L1n -
    te one thing i have agaibst this prequels r y do they always use the god damn same cast eg Wayne Leung starred as zbt in Mystery of condor hero's, Rage and passion(wong Zhong yang story), Condor hero returns (about Sotuht emperor and northern beggar) and also bloddy roch 95 if i recall correctly, was he in loch 94. But anyways what the heck this guy played all the zbt's. And fiona played in 2 of those, while Ekin Chan played in r&p and CHR. I mean is it really that god damn hard to pik 1 person to suit the roles.sighs it's a real turn off whenu see the sdame person playing in so many side stories that should relate to the jy condor hero's trilogy.
    Liu Kai Chi played Zhou Botong in Jiu Yin Zhen Jing (Mystery), although Wayne was ZBT in LOCH 94. It's fine if they cast the same person for continuity, but Wayne Leung is a complete miscast and just plain irritating in that role. Would that they had cast Chun Wong for all of them.

Now if only they had cast David Chiang as HYS in LOCH 94 instead of Lok Ying Kwan - I wouldn't have minded that continuity.

Mystery had a wonderful themesong, though, so I guess that's a positive contribution to the Condor Heroes series. The bit I really couldn't stand was Qu Lingfeng, Lu Chengfeng, Feng Mofeng and Wu Renfeng voluntarily crippling themselves out of respect to their teacher before leaving him - as if it was in bad taste for the main hero, David Chiang, to do what Huang Yaoshi did.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 12-04-05 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    Liu Kai Chi played Zhou Botong in Jiu Yin Zhen Jing (Mystery), although Wayne was ZBT in LOCH 94. It's fine if they cast the same person for continuity, but Wayne Leung is a complete miscast and just plain irritating in that role. Would that they had cast Chun Wong for all of them.

Now if only they had cast David Chiang as HYS in LOCH 94 instead of Lok Ying Kwan - I wouldn't have minded that continuity.

Mystery had a wonderful themesong, though, so I guess that's a positive contribution to the Condor Heroes series. The bit I really couldn't stand was Qu Lingfeng, Lu Chengfeng, Feng Mofeng and Wu Renfeng voluntarily crippling themselves out of respect to their teacher before leaving him - as if it was in bad taste for the main hero, David Chiang, to do what Huang Yaoshi did.
    About the themesong, I've noticed that the one on my VCD set is different from the themesong/themevideo for download. However, the one for downalod sounds so much better than the one on VCD.

Mystery had two excellent wuxia themesongs, and confusingly, both of them were used for the opening theme during the serial in various episodes. Both were by George Lam and Sally Yeh, so the only way I can think of to differentiate them is to embarrassingly describe them.

The first one starts with Sally's "Tou fa piu.." or "Peach Blossom floats..." followed by a verse starting with George Lam's "Tou fa dou.. or "Peach Blossom Island". When this one is played during the theme you can hear background effects with the Huashan tournament, the jumping sounds, clashing sounds, palm sounds, Ouyangfeng's toad exhale sound etc. This is supposed to be the main theme, and you can find it in one of Sally's old albums. It's got a very mysterious, exotic, jungle air to it, with a very beautiful flute piece at the beginning.

The second one is less exotic for me, but still an excellent wuxia song. Can't remember the verse but the chorus starts with "Ngo oi lei, ngo oi lei..." or "I love you, I love you..." and when this song is played during the themesong the background effects are silent - e.g. you see Huang Yaoshi and Hong Qigong clashing but it's all silent and the song is uninterrupted. This one can be found in George Lam's album.

Which is the one you seem to like better?

Mystery had two excellent wuxia themesongs, and confusingly, both of them were used for the opening theme during the serial in various episodes. Both were by George Lam and Sally Yeh, so the only way I can think of to differentiate them is to embarrassingly describe them.

The first one starts with Sally's "Tou fa piu.." or "Peach Blossom floats..." followed by a verse starting with George Lam's "Tou fa dou.. or "Peach Blossom Island". When this one is played during the theme you can hear background effects with the Huashan tournament, the jumping sounds, clashing sounds, palm sounds, Ouyangfeng's toad exhale sound etc. This is supposed to be the main theme, and you can find it in one of Sally's old albums. It's got a very mysterious, exotic, jungle air to it, with a very beautiful flute piece at the beginning.

The second one is less exotic for me, but still an excellent wuxia song. Can't remember the verse but the chorus starts with "Ngo oi lei, ngo oi lei..." or "I love you, I love you..." and when this song is played during the themesong the background effects are silent - e.g. you see Huang Yaoshi and Hong Qigong clashing but it's all silent and the song is uninterrupted. This one can be found in George Lam's album.

Haha Ian, you make me want to whip out my copy of the series and rewatch it. I like the first one esp the beginning. It's very nice. From what I recall, I think the second one is where it ends with HYS fighting a line of people and theres a bloody ending?

Why does TVB have such an interest in making one of the characters falling love with a foreign country who happens to be opposite of Han? I mean in Rise of the Tai Chi Master, Cheung Sam Fung had to fall for Yung Yerk, who was a replacement Jin Princess--who turn out not be a real jin princess after all. Is it because they want to give reason for C3F to become a taoist? Or because his grand pupil, Cheung Mo Kei paired up with Chiu Min, whose a foriegner too. So TVB had an idea of making C3F falling for a "jin princess"? BTW, I really found Eddie Kwan really annoying in this role. I guess it was just disappointing that he got all depressed after his sifu died and Yung Yerk "died". How could he give up like that just b/c two people he loved most died? Maybe it is understandable to some extent but really, do you really want a whole hour worth of the series wasted on it?

Sometimes I wish TVB had kept Gwok Seung in the story and it maybe a unrequited love for C3F but still more accurate than what they had with Eddie and Fiona.

Then in Mystery, Fiona also played a similiar role where she's really adopted and not really Jin.

MY Goodness TVB can be so stupid when it comes to love stories in these prequels. As for the inaccuracy for the other details, it may not always be that annoying but when it comes to the love element of the story, it really sucks alot.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I like the first song better than the second but it's probably because I heard the first themesong prior to watching the series that had the second themesong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    I like the first song better than the second but it's probably because I heard the first themesong prior to watching the series that had the second themesong.
    Nah, the first song IS better... that booming echo beat at the beginning, with the jungle cries, then the beautiful smooth flute with HYS pouring wine over his sword... it was just a classic song!!! One of the best I've ever seen for a wuxia series, and it wasn't even a particularly good serial. The second one is a bit short, and they tried to fit the same scenes into the song, so it looked rather rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Haha Ian, you make me want to whip out my copy of the series and rewatch it. I like the first one esp the beginning. It's very nice. From what I recall, I think the second one is where it ends with HYS fighting a line of people and theres a bloody ending?
    The scenes were the same, although the order was a bit different. I think they both ended with Fiona Leung looking rather sad. The first song did have a musicless part at the end where HYS charges a bunch of people in slow motion and goes slashslashslash.... I really want to check out my video (I taped all the wuxia songs I watched when I was younger) but I don't have a video player anymore =(

How does the legend of the golden lion go? What kind of stuff did they make up for that series?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu
    How does the legend of the golden lion go? What kind of stuff did they make up for that series?
    This series to me was Crap with a capital C.

I thought the Golden Lion story was by ATV? I recon it was an OK story, it tells the story of how white brow eagle, yeung xiu and tse tsun all met. And later on it shows bout Tse Tsuns master and stuff, and how he eventually came to have yellow hair. Pretty cool i think....it was many years ago i can't really remember it.....
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Quote Originally Posted by kamii
    I thought the Golden Lion story was by ATV? I recon it was an OK story, it tells the story of how white brow eagle, yeung xiu and tse tsun all met. And later on it shows bout Tse Tsuns master and stuff, and how he eventually came to have yellow hair. Pretty cool i think....it was many years ago i can't really remember it.....
    Nope it was TVB. I think TVB ran out of ideas during the 90s so that's probably why they made the prequels to LOCH/HSDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Do you know which album? I want to hear the song in its entirety.