Thread: Question about YG and XLN

Default Question about YG and XLN

This there anything on them after Return of the Condor hero? for instance their children if they had any? btw....Did GJ's youngest daughter ever find them?

GX never found YG and XLN. Searched until she was 40 before stopping. GJ and HR died defending Xiang Yang around 10 years after ROCH. In HSDS, it was suspected that a yellow dressed lady might possibly be a decendant of YG and XLN.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

another question, i read in two different translation one said that XLN was 3 years older than YG and another said 4 years--so how much older was she? I am confused.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

I think it was four, or at least very close to 4. Cuz XLN was 20 when YG was 16.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

XLN was 18 when she met the 14 year old YG.

I just got confused because I read two different editions. The first one mentioned that YG was 14 when he entered QZ sect and then met XLN--later on it mentions that she was past 20 leaving the Ancient Tomb--but during the Heroes Banquet the book says that she is still only 20.

Another book said YG started practicing the Jade Maiden Manual with XLN when he was 16 and she was near 20 at the time. Argghh all these versions. Anyone know if the entire book is translated into English--all I found was 6 volumes of it by comicsone corporation and I don't think the story is finished yet cause a reviewer says that the first 6 volumes only covers 1/3 of the novel.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Jin Yong has a tendency to play fast and loose with continuity at times, so it would not be surprising if he goofed on Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl's relative ages here. If you go by the timeline of LOCH, Wong Yung *had* to be older than Gwok Jing, but she never, never called her "Jing-gor gor" her "Jing-dai-dai".

Given that they were only 4 years apart more or less, why didn't XLN call YG as "Guo-di" but as "Guo-er" instead? Other than the fact that XLN was YG's teacher and that YG was saved by XLN's elder maid (that granny, I forget her name, and YG called her as granny), why did YG have to call XLN as "Gu gu"? Why not as "Simu (sp?)" (Female teacher)?

Originally posted by rabadi
    Given that they were only 4 years apart more or less, why didn't XLN call YG as "Guo-di" but as "Guo-er" instead? Other than the fact that XLN was YG's teacher and that YG was saved by XLN's elder maid (that granny, I forget her name, and YG called her as granny), why did YG have to call XLN as "Gu gu"? Why not as "Simu (sp?)" (Female teacher)?
    I think Yeung Gor ended up calling Little Dragon Girl "goo goo" (i.e. "auntie") instead of "see fu" (i.e. "teacher") because he associated that title too much with Chiu Tze Ging (Yeung Gor's Cheun Jen Sect teacher), whom Yeung Gor hated. I do think that "jeh jeh" (i.e. "older sister") would have been more appropriate considering their relative ages.

Yup, "jie jie" would have been more appropriate.

Edit: sorry if all the terms I mentioned were in wrong spelling In Hokkienese they would be:
    Suhu = Sifu (Male teacher)
    Subo = Simu (Female teacher)
    Kouw-kouw = Gu gu (Aunt)
    Ciecie = Jie jie (older sister)
    Last edited by rabadi; 06-25-04 at 11:18 PM.

I still like gu gu more--since he did call XLN's maid granny so it is appropriate to call XLN gu gu--calling her jie jie would raise his status since he is after all her student.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Originally posted by superboy
    GX never found YG and XLN. Searched until she was 40 before stopping. GJ and HR died defending Xiang Yang around 10 years after ROCH. In HSDS, it was suspected that a yellow dressed lady might possibly be a decendant of YG and XLN.
    Until she was 40!!!! It seems like she cared about YG and XLN more than she cared about her own parents. My question is why is that? Why was she spending a lot of time looking for them?

From an online article I read critiquing JY's works, it states that the yellow dressed lady is YG's daughter---it shows a timeline about how the daughter looks younger because of the Ancient Tomb's kungfu---it has about 5 pages supporting this argument. Hmmm, how many years passed since YG met up with XLN till the time the yellow dressed lady arrived? The article states:
    Kubilai Khan r(1260-1294) appears in ROCH when he was about 26 or 7 so that makes it the year 1252(3) when YG meets him for the first time, According to the novel, YG and XLN reunites about 17 years later so it is 1269(70) AD. GJ and HR dies about 10 years later in 1279(80). YG and XLN helped GJ and HR protect Xiang Yang before they left about the year 1269(70))Then they get married and have a child (girl). [immediately the author presumes]. At the end of HSDS, Chu Yaun Chang consolidates power and drives the Mongols back from the years 1360-1368. ZWJ most likely met the yellow dressed lady during this time frame (1358-60) so her age would be at most in her mid 70's (again it is presumed she is about 50 to 60). By the ancient tomb sect kungfu the lady would only look half her age---so from mid 20's to her mid 30's (assuming YG and XLN did not have a child right away). Thus by the end of HSDS this makes it 99% correct that the lady is YG's daughter. YG and XLN would be around early and a bit in the 100's (maybe dead or alive we never know). The author of this article points out a lot of clues in the novel and has a much more detailed description of events then I summarized. The article continues on using the different techniques in kungfu to draw on the fact that the girl is in fact YG and XLN descendant.(Thanx to Kevin Si Cheung for his article)

Dunno about you guys but I prefer the lady to be the granddaughter and hopefully XLN and YG is still alive (maybe since they practice the Jade Heart Manual making them younger especially XLN)
    Last edited by hkopinions; 06-28-04 at 12:58 AM.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

But I actually think the chance of her training Ancient Tomb martial arts are slim. You'll need to rid yourself of all emotions and be like a piece of wood. Would YG and XLN want to make their daughter someone that does not have emotions?

Originally posted by hkopinions
    The article continues on using the different techniques in kungfu to draw on the fact that the girl is in fact YG and XLN descendant.(Thanx to Kevin Si Cheung for his article)
    Where can I find the full text of this article? Is it available in English?

Originally posted by hkopinions
    GJ and HR dies about 10 years later in 1279(80). YG and XLN helped GJ and HR protect Xiang Yang before the left about the year 1280(81)

I am not sure whether YG and XLN went to help GJ and HR in the last batter with Mongols army or not. It is doubtful why GJ and HR died but YG and XLN could survive.

The article is available on sina.com. (I dont have exact link) I managed to get a copy of it from school because it was part of a dissertation paper by a film student.

I haven't finished the novel yet but I think the author is referring to the last battle when YG and XLN met after 16 years and not the battle when the Song dynasty fell---hehe I made a mistake on the typing (will fix it now) not the aftermath when they left. In the article, there is also a very good timeline (detailed) of all major events from DGSD to HSDS era with approximate dates by using all the novels. (article is in English)

About forcing their descendants to practice the kungfu--I dont think they were forced---the author states that after XLN left YG for 16 years she probably did not practice this but still remained young after their reunion. Maybe a part of the manual requires purging all emotions but love may also allow youth and thusit might be okay?
    Last edited by hkopinions; 06-28-04 at 01:02 AM.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Default quick question

I have completey forgotten everything i knew about ROCH (better dig out the tapes). Since we're talking about YG i have a question about him: What was his most powerful stance in the story?