Page 18 of 99 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by wargods
    TVB HK did not release Vengeance. Taiseng did it themselves. I saw the DVD at a friend house, and it is horrible. I am a perfectionist so I know what I see.

Here is a picture off the DVD, I am sure all of you saw something at the bottom of the picture.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://jul31.imghost.us/fstlfo.jpg')

Since TVB HK released ROCH first, Taiseng's release would be just as good.

The reason the DVD sets that are produced by Modern Audio (TVB HK) are more expensive is because they are made in HK. Anything that is imported to the other countries will always be expensive. Since Taiseng made the release in the United States, it will always be cheaper.
    If the HK version exists, is the Taiseng version exactly the same as the HK version except for the packaging? I'm afraid to touch Taiseng stuff, I've been buying Vietnamese versions from Taiseng and the quality is atrocious.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    Well if ur a purist like me, it would be pretty obvious. Luckily they didn't do it too much in ROCH. I still have to watch LOCH to find out if they messed around with it. Regarding about ur other question about Taiseng stuff in Canada, I live in Vancouver Canada and I don't think I have ever seen Taiseng TVB stuff on sale. I see the odd Taiseng dvd movie or some stuff like that but i think Taiseng is mainly US.
    What I mean is can I buy it online like from Yesasia even if I'm not from the US? Would Yesasia let me buy the Taiseng version?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    What I mean is can I buy it online like from Yesasia even if I'm not from the US? Would Yesasia let me buy the Taiseng version?
    I doubt that you can buy the Taiseng version if you don't live in the US but I think you might want to check with Yesasia with that. If you live in Canada, you don't need to buy the Taiseng version anyways.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Thanks a lot for the links... About the menus, are you saying that the Taiseng menu is different than the TVBI version? As for the packaging, I prefer the book version, the plastic box is basically a keep case (yeah I know, I'm pretty anal but that's what you become when you like anything DVD) and it's more solid then a Digipak. I especially like the tranparancy; never saw that for a multi-disc holder.
    No, I'm not saying Taiseng menu is different from TVB version. I was just asking if it was. I also prefer the book version due to the pretty factor (I like you, am anal about packaging), but I also prefer the official "TVB" products more too, so there's irony to it.

I bought ROCH DVD when I was in HK a few months ago. After watching the series, I would love to get LOCH DVD, but is there much of a difference in quality for the set sold in HK as opposed to outside of HK?

For those that own both sets, is the quality the same (english sub font, audio, video) for both series? I've seen ROCH and I loved the quality of the release and hope that LOCH is the same.. if there are a few video glitches then I can understand because of the time it was filmed

Also, is the LOCH DVD uncut as they say? I've read that they were cut, but wanted to make sure
    Last edited by xcvmvcx; 08-01-06 at 11:45 AM.

I doubt that you can buy the Taiseng version if you don't live in the US but I think you might want to check with Yesasia with that. If you live in Canada, you don't need to buy the Taiseng version anyways.
    I'm kind of interested in the Taiseng version because it's less expensive or am I wrong?

I think Yesasia price is way too high, they mark the price very high and still say there a discount 50% to 60%, so you think the price is cheap. For example ROCH06 Taiseng version, I can get it for $55.00 instead from Yesasia $69.99

Wow I'm surprised that the Taiseng DVDs look like VHS since their DVD of Fist of Power looks pretty decent. Here's a screenshot from it: $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/ryuuranger/FistofPower.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Wow I'm surprised that the Taiseng DVDs look like VHS since their DVD of Fist of Power looks pretty decent. Here's a screenshot from it:
    Some of the viet DVDs do look decent ...like The Condor Heroes Return, The Mystery of the Condor Hero.....but others are pure CRAP. Some of the recent releases are horrible...such as Born to Be A King, Twilight of A Nation, Soldier of Fortune.

For all the viet DVDs, some of them are encoded from MASTER copy and others are just straight conversions from videocassettes. Therefore the quality of those viet DVDs is pretty inconsistent.

I posted a screenshot from the Vengeance DVD on the previous page, you can see it's not as good as your screenshot.

Some of the viet DVDs do look decent ...like The Condor Heroes Return, The Mystery of the Condor Hero.....but others are pure CRAP. Some of the recent releases are horrible...such as Born to Be A King, Twilight of A Nation, Soldier of Fortune.

For all the viet DVDs, some of them are encoded from MASTER copy and others are just straight conversions from videocassettes. Therefore the quality of those viet DVDs is pretty inconsistent.

I posted a screenshot from the Vengeance DVD on the previous page, you can see it's not as good as your screenshot.
    Actually mine is not taken from a Viet DVD but from the movie cut version released for Western viewers in Cantonese/English.

Actually mine is not taken from a Viet DVD but from the movie cut version released for Western viewers in Cantonese/English.
    WOW, I havent heard of this movie cut version stuff for a long time since 1988 on hong kong newspaper. You must be living in Europe/UK. heh
    How long is the movie (Fist of Power) and is it only on DVD?
    Last edited by wargods; 08-01-06 at 02:23 PM.

WOW, I havent heard of this movie cut version stuff for a long time since 1988 on hong kong newspaper. You must be living in Europe/UK. heh
    How long is the movie (Fist of Power) and is it only on DVD?
    Actually I live in the US. Fist of Power was actually a 20 episode TVB series from 1993 but Taiseng just cut it down to 205 minutes on DVD for Western audiences but it gots Cantonese and English dub included. The full series is only for sale in Viet I think.

The major problem with the Viet DVDs is the smearing due to the abuse of the noise filter. The first few titles were acceptable to me; there were some noise but the picture was sharp enough and the noise was not too bad IMO considering the age of the material. After the 5th or 6th release, Taiseng started to filter the noise but that added the adverse effect of smearing or motion blur. I just CAN'T stand motion blur and it gets worse during dark scenes. This is why I am doubful of Taiseng's products. I think it's safer to go with the HK version despite the higher price. The only positive thing about the Viet DVDs is that they're uncut except for one tiny scene at the beginning of HSDS '86.

Actually I live in the US. Fist of Power was actually a 20 episode TVB series from 1993 but Taiseng just cut it down to 205 minutes on DVD for Western audiences but it gots Cantonese and English dub included. The full series is only for sale in Viet I think.
    Damn...I guessed wrong...I thought cutted versions are only available in Europe.
    The series is from 1995 actually, but anyway I was surprised they would cutted it into a short DVD, cuz I thought they stopped doing this.

Does the shorrt version have the opening intro with theme song and ending rolling credits as well? I am just curious to know. heh

Damn...I guessed wrong...I thought cutted versions are only available in Europe.
    The series is from 1995 actually, but anyway I was surprised they would cutted it into a short DVD, cuz I thought they stopped doing this.

Does the shorrt version have the opening intro with theme song and ending rolling credits as well? I am just curious to know. heh
    Oh the DVD says 1995 too but the old VHS at my aunt's video store said 1993 so I just went with that. Yeah the short version has the intro and ending roll credits too.

The major problem with the Viet DVDs is the smearing due to the abuse of the noise filter. The first few titles were acceptable to me; there were some noise but the picture was sharp enough and the noise was not too bad IMO considering the age of the material. After the 5th or 6th release, Taiseng started to filter the noise but that added the adverse effect of smearing or motion blur. I just CAN'T stand motion blur and it gets worse during dark scenes. This is why I am doubful of Taiseng's products. I think it's safer to go with the HK version despite the higher price. The only positive thing about the Viet DVDs is that they're uncut except for one tiny scene at the beginning of HSDS '86.
    Whoa, I never expected them to do that. I thought it would be decent cause their DVD movies look good, especially compared to their earlier DVD movies.

BTW, I think I know why The Grand Canal DVD is cutted from 60episodes into 58 episodes.

TVB has just released the August TV schedule for TVB Xing He Channel. It's a TVB satellite channel that is available in Mainland China, Russia and other Asian and Oceanian countries. The channel is going to air The Grand Canal, but on the TV schedule it says 58 epsiodes. It led me to believe that the original version of The Grand Canal has some sensitive contents which the Chinese government do not like. Therefore TVB must cut it before they release it in China back in 1987. Is that the reason why the Grand Canal DVD is cutted into 58 epsiodes? I am not sure because I am not familiar with the Chinese government. And I havent watched The Grand Canal before.

I believe the Mainland China edition of The Grand Canal is the only edition that has
    3 different opening intros and only has 58 episodes.

Please discuss.
    Last edited by wargods; 08-01-06 at 05:47 PM.

BTW, I think I know why The Grand Canal DVD is cutted from 60episodes into 58 episodes.

TVB has just released the August TV schedule for TVB Xing He Channel. It's a TVB satellite channel that is available in Mainland China, Russia and other Asian and Oceanian countries. The channel is going to air The Grand Canal, but on the TV schedule it says 58 epsiodes. It led me to believe that the original version of The Grand Canal has some sensitive contents which the Chinese government do not like. Therefore TVB must cut it before they release it in China back in 1987. Is that the reason why the Grand Canal DVD is cutted into 58 epsiodes? I am not sure because I am not familiar with the Chinese government. And I havent watched The Grand Canal before.

I believe the Mainland China edition of The Grand Canal is the only edition that has

Please discuss.
    I haven't seen The Grand Canal but I do know that Mainland China does sometimes cut series they broadcast. Heck, they even cut their own series for broadcast. So you might be right about this all.

Please discuss.
    I mean can't they just release a HK version and a Mainland chinese version? I mean the cuts they made on the DVD looks like bush. Makes TVB looks so stupid.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I mean can't they just release a HK version and a Mainland chinese version? I mean the cuts they made on the DVD looks like bush. Makes TVB looks so stupid.
    Sure, that would be the best case. But if Mainland ppl know that there are two different versions of The Grand Canal, do you think they would still buy the 58 episodes version? I dont think so. Some crazy ppl might even travel to HK and buy the longer version since it is now easier from them to travel from Mainland to HK. But anyway I am just spectulating the possible reason why they released the 58eps DVD instead of 60eps. I could be wrong and I hope someone can email TVB and ask for the official reason.

I also dont think they did any edit on the DVD release other than the title screen and episode number after the opening intro. Less edit = less work. The DVD should be identical to the Mainland version, unless they went out of space on the DVD. heh
    Last edited by wargods; 08-01-06 at 10:16 PM.