Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    I only got it for $104 CDN taxes included already. That's why I waited instead of getting the actual HK version.
    nahh, Nothing better then the HK version IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam-Freedom
    nahh, Nothing better then the HK version IMO
    It's actually the same except for the label that says "For sale outside HK SAR and Macau SAR". If there are other differences, please let me know.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Based on my experience buying LOCH DVD from Ebay, the one which sold much cheaper than at yesasia.com, is probably the fake version. The quality of the disc not so good (In my case, the subtitle looks blur when playing on the dvd player, while it's OK when played on computer). Better wait for the Tai Seng version.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky
    Has anyone buy DOMD from Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by kurniawan20062000
    Based on my experience buying LOCH DVD from Ebay, the one which sold much cheaper than at yesasia.com, is probably the fake version. The quality of the disc not so good (In my case, the subtitle looks blur when playing on the dvd player, while it's OK when played on computer). Better wait for the Tai Seng version.
    Thank you, than I'll just have to wait until Taiseng release it. Since I bought my LOCH & ROCH from Taiseng and very happy with it. I just hope everything went ok and it doesn't take so long like LOCH.

Thumbs up very glad to know you all of you!!!

Hi all, I got a place can buy the latest drama and very low price, all the DVDs, so happy

Quote Originally Posted by lovebaby
    any singapore TVB fans here?????????? could you tell me where you can get the TVB DVDs normally? I can not stop chasing TVB drama, the latest drama "DU CHENG FENG YUN" is very nice drama, want to share my best love TVB drama here
    You may get poh kim vcds, at a high price, i would say, or just go ts to rent the show. Otherwise, even with scv, there are plenty of shows that you are unable to watch...

I'm back! Has anyone heard any news of any upcoming Barbara Yung DVDs? Thanks

I'm very pleased with the quality of the LOCH '82 and ROCH '83 DVD boxed sets, both of which I have recently acquired. For once, TVB has pulled out all the stops and delivered a high quality product.

I'm hoping that eventually, they'll get around to giving HSDS '86 the same grand treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I'm very pleased with the quality of the LOCH '82 and ROCH '83 DVD boxed sets, both of which I have recently acquired. For once, TVB has pulled out all the stops and delivered a high quality product.

I'm hoping that eventually, they'll get around to giving HSDS '86 the same grand treatment.
    Yeah, generally all the TVB DVD's so far have been great except for Grand Canal. It was so heavily edited that it was laughable.

I want Luk Siu Fung to come out on DVD. I don't know what's with me lately, but I have this crave for it. Seeing Adam Cheng playing a villain excites me. I watched a bit of this show when I was a kid and was bored cause there was so much talking and no fighting. When there was a fight, it was slow as hell. I'm 21 now and I actually want to sit down and enjoy the series since it gets rave reviews. I saw the theme video on Youtube and it looks so damn cool. I have to see this.

I started watching the old HSDS with Adam Cheng on VHS and so far so good.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

My expectations for these DVDs, as is usual when it comes to TVB products (I'm talking about the merchandise, not the actual dramas themselves), were pretty damn low going in. Having previously purchased some of TVB's VCD collections, I was totally preparing for some cheaply and thoughtlessly assembled, halfbaked affair with defective discs, inexplicable and wholly unnecessary edits, poor video/audio quality, and slipshod packaging.

I was totally blown away by what I saw on the LOCH '82 and ROCH '83. Shocked. I was wondering if I were dreaming or if somebody had murdered TVB's merchandise department heads and replaced them with, you know, real professionals.

The picture quality was...wow, I've never seen LOCH '82 or ROCH '83 in such crystal clarity before...not even when the series were new back during the 1980s. I think TVB actually spent time and money using state of the art technology to digitally remaster the original videotapes before transferring them to disc. The sound was also cleaned up. Every episode worked and was *complete*. There *were* edits, but they were additions rather than cuts (I have bootleg copies of the series on VHS that I've watched numerous times, and I noticed certain things that had not been on the VHS releases were edited back into the DVDs). The options menu was actually well-designed and planned out: attractive, simple to navigate and use, and cool. The clincher was the English subtitles. I was completely expecting a comedic litany of poorly translated dialogue. To my surprise, the English subtitles actually made sense and conveyed the correct meanings in most cases. There were one or two cringe-inducing oddities, but overall, it was a much better translation job that I had expected.

I was amazed. I didn't know TVB had it in them to actually deliver a product of such high quality (mostly because I'm accustomed to their delivering *crap*). They actually went and did what I thought they would never do: actually invest time and money into developing a product that people would actually want to buy. They actually sat down and said, "Let's design and market a product that will really give consumers value for their dollars" instead of "Let's try to rip people off by charging them top dollar for crappy, cheap repackaging that'll cost us nearly nothing!"

So yes, the LOCH '82 and ROCH '83 DVDs come highly recommended, even if they are a bit expensive (got mine relatively cheap from a local vendor who charged about half of what Yesasia is asking for the sets). For once, it's actually worth it.

I want Luk Siu Fung to come out on DVD. I don't know what's with me lately, but I have this crave for it. Seeing Adam Cheng playing a villain excites me. I watched a bit of this show when I was a kid and was bored cause there was so much talking and no fighting. When there was a fight, it was slow as hell. I'm 21 now and I actually want to sit down and enjoy the series since it gets rave reviews. I saw the theme video on Youtube and it looks so damn cool. I have to see this.
    The bad news is that there's just as much talking between the fight scenes as you remember there being. The good news is that because you're older now, those talking scenes will actually have some meaning rather than just being noises to fill the dead air between fight scenes.

The dialogue for the LUK SIU FUNG series is among the very best for a TVB wuxia novel adaptation ever...mostly because TVB basically just used Gu Long's original novel for its script. In those early days (LUK SIU FUNG, 1976, was just TVB's second attempt at making a wuxia series), TVB didn't stray from the source material much. The studio basically just reproduced the dialogue of the novel, word for word.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    The bad news is that there's just as much talking between the fight scenes as you remember there were. The good news is that because you're older now, those talking scenes will actually have some meaning rather than just being noises to fill the dead air between fight scenes.

The dialogue for the LUK SIU FUNG series is among the very best for a TVB wuxia novel adaptation ever...mostly because TVB basically just used Gu Long's original novel for its script. In those early days (LUK SIU FUNG, 1976, was just TVB's second attempt at making a wuxia series), TVB didn't stray from the source material much. The studio basically just reproduced the dialogue of the novel, word for word.
    Damn i really wanna see it now. I'm waiting for a uncut DVD version cause all the VCDs are heavily edited. I don't mind the slowness. I'm watching HSDS Adam Cheng version and it's so much slower than the Tony Leung version, but I still like it. Dialogue is kinda campy though. Whatever, Adam Cheng rocks hahah

Damn i really wanna see it now. I'm waiting for a uncut DVD version cause all the VCDs are heavily edited. I don't mind the slowness. I'm watching HSDS Adam Cheng version and it's so much slower than the Tony Leung version, but I still like it. Dialogue is kinda campy though. Whatever, Adam Cheng rocks hahah
    Adam Cheng was a cool Yip Goo Sing. The casting for that series was flawless. TVB had the Midas Touch for casting in those days.

The LUK SIU FUNG VCDs are among the better ones as far as editing is concerned. Because the LUK SIU FUNG series was so short to begin with (the first part was only ten episodes; the second part eight episodes), TVB didn't feel so compelled to cut corners to save money on production costs (unlike longer series such as LOCH '82, where TVB basically butchered the series to save money). I have old VHS tapes of LUK SIU FUNG from when the series was broadcast by TVB in the 1980s, and the VCDs actually put scenes back *in* that were cut from the broadcast version. The only thing against the VCD, of course, is the relatively inferior quality of the pictures (decent, standard VCD quality, but true videophiles will prefer DVD qualilty).

Finally released: DVD HSDS 1986 (Tony Leung), uncut 40 episode, English Subtitles:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1004559736/

Now is complete: 3 of the best TVB TV Series ever: LOCH 1982 - ROCH 1983 - HSDS 1986, uncut, in DVD format with English Subtitle. Total : 15 + 12 + 10 = 37 disc or 59 + 50 + 40 episodes = 149 episodes.

Finally released: DVD HSDS 1986 (Tony Leung), uncut 40 episode, English Subtitles:

Now is complete: 3 of the best TVB TV Series ever: LOCH 1982 - ROCH 1983 - HSDS 1986, uncut, in DVD format with English Subtitle. Total : 15 + 12 + 10 = 37 disc or 59 + 50 + 40 episodes = 149 episodes.
    YAY! Time to add to my collection.

After you get it, please inform us the picture and the sound quality. Thank you.

YAY! Time to add to my collection.

After you get it, please inform us the picture and the sound quality. Thank you.
    No problem! Lately the store I get my TVB stuff has been kinda slow, so somebody might give mini review before I do.

Hallelujah! The saga is now complete! I didn't think TVB would act so quickly on this. Somebody in their marketing department must be reading SPCNET daily.

$110.00 is a pretty steep asking price. There are a few vendors in my area who will probably carry it for 70% of that price or less, but nobody knows if or when they'll actually get it in stock. I might wait a week or two and see.

just a heads-up that fivestarlaser.com has HSDS and DOMD for $50 each.