Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Have anyone bought The Demi-Gods & Semi-Devils? It came out yesterday. I sure hope they made the picture quality good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Have anyone bought The Demi-Gods & Semi-Devils? It came out yesterday. I sure hope they made the picture quality good.
    that's been postponed....................

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I also seem to be having issues with Episode 11 of Part 2 of LOCH '82 (the episode wherein Gwok Jing competes against Au Yeung Hak for Wong Yung's hand in marriage). This episode just plain won't play. Anybody else have similar problems?

"Sigh."
    Try burning it to a DVD-R.

"If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Well, getting all my TVB DVDs to perform satisfactorily took some finagling.

I needed to get a new DVD player to work the LOCH DVDs. That set me back around U.S. $50.00

ROCH '83 I was able to get replaced because I showed the merchant the defective product, and she was cool about exchanging it for another.

I'm going to pass on DGSD '81. I have the cheapo ripoff DVD that was made from the TVBI VCDs and sold for about $20.00 a pop a few years ago. The picture quality isn't superb, but the series wasn't edited as badly as I feared (it wasn't diced and butchered the way the THE BUND was), so rather than shell out for the TVBI DVDs at this point, I'll be happy with the cheapo knockoff set.

I'll be waiting eagerly for TVBI to release the complete, uncut, fully remastered and subtitled THE BUND, however, if they ever get around to it.

I got this in my e-mail March 17, it is being released on April 18.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images6.theimagehosting.com/DGSD.jpg')

Well, getting all my TVB DVDs to perform satisfactorily took some finagling.

I needed to get a new DVD player to work the LOCH DVDs. That set me back around U.S. $50.00

ROCH '83 I was able to get replaced because I showed the merchant the defective product, and she was cool about exchanging it for another.

I'm going to pass on DGSD '81. I have the cheapo ripoff DVD that was made from the TVBI VCDs and sold for about $20.00 a pop a few years ago. The picture quality isn't superb, but the series wasn't edited as badly as I feared (it wasn't diced and butchered the way the THE BUND was), so rather than shell out for the TVBI DVDs at this point, I'll be happy with the cheapo knockoff set.

I'll be waiting eagerly for TVBI to release the complete, uncut, fully remastered and subtitled THE BUND, however, if they ever get around to it.
    Glad to hear that ur new DVD player fixed the LOCH DVD and that you were able to get ROCH replaced.

Ur not getting DGSD? I'm pretty anal when it comes to DVDs. If I had a cheap DVD version, I will still get this. Right now im hoping to replace all my VCD's in to DVD if they do come out. And yes BUND really needs to come out. It's such a classic and the VCD treatment it got was a crappy heavily edited version.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

it's coming out Friday.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004686971/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u318/sfcsi/l_p1004686971.jpg')
    Last edited by sfccrx; 04-11-07 at 09:35 PM.

Default <倚天屠龍記> Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1978 on DVD?

Does anyone know if TVB's 1978 version of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre starring Adam Cheng is available on collector's edition on Dvd like Legend and Return of the Condor Heroes complete with behind the scenes and english sub? It would be really helpful if someone can confim this.

Quote Originally Posted by filmbuff87
    Does anyone know if TVB's 1978 version of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre starring Adam Cheng is available on collector's edition on Dvd like Legend and Return of the Condor Heroes complete with behind the scenes and english sub? It would be really helpful if someone can confim this.
    As far as I know, there's currently no DVD version of HSDS '78 yet, only VCD is available.
    ♥ Adam

This series has not been officially released on DVD yet... I think it will be sooner or later and that it will be uncut.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I have a gut feeling that the 70s stuff won't be released. I hope I'm wrong. I was very surprised when I saw the whole series on VHS just a few months ago. I wasn't expecting a lot, but Adam Cheng's performance was worth it.
    Last edited by almo89; 04-13-07 at 11:50 PM.

I have a feeling that at least some of the 70s series, especially the popular ones will be released sooner or later. I mean, if they can make money, why wouldn't they do it right??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    It's mainly part one that sounds bad. Really soft and muffled.
    I forgot to tell you this, but I don't think it's the DVD that's the problem. It might actually be the original master tape from TVB that is the source of the sound woes. I just remembered that on the old VHS tapes from the 1980s, LOCH '82 Part I did have problems with muffled dialogue in parts. The problem is over twenty years old, and even the DVD has "inherited" this problem from the original master (I wonder if they could have remixed the audio track when remastering the tape for DVD transfer).

I've found tiny little anomalies (mysterious lines that appear for several seconds) in bits and parts of the first four episodes of LOCH '82. Nothing major that interferes with the watching experience in a major way (the anomalies appear only for a few seconds), but still annoying.

I forgot to tell you this, but I don't think it's the DVD that's the problem. It might actually be the original master tape from TVB that is the source of the sound woes. I just remembered that on the old VHS tapes from the 1980s, LOCH '82 Part I did have problems with muffled dialogue in parts. The problem is over twenty years old, and even the DVD has "inherited" this problem from the original master (I wonder if they could have remixed the audio track when remastering the tape for DVD transfer).

I've found tiny little anomalies (mysterious lines that appear for several seconds) in bits and parts of the first four episodes of LOCH '82. Nothing major that interferes with the watching experience in a major way (the anomalies appear only for a few seconds), but still annoying.
    I still have the VHS and i've been watching it all my life. I can tell you that im positive that it didn't sound muffled like that. Either way, it just ruins the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    I still have the VHS and i've been watching it all my life. I can tell you that im positive that it didn't sound muffled like that. Either way, it just ruins the experience.
    My VHS tapes have always had dialogue sound problems sporadically in Part I, particularly Patrick Tse's (Yeung Teet Sum) dialogue from the middle episodes of Part I. So far, the DVDs are demonstrating parallel sound problems.

TVB did two issues of LOCH '82 on VHS...the initial 1983 printing and the 1987 printing. I do believe that my VHS copies (Pirating! Shhh!) come from the 1987 printing.

My VHS tapes have always had dialogue sound problems sporadically in Part I, particularly Patrick Tse's (Yeung Teet Sum) dialogue from the middle episodes of Part I. So far, the DVDs are demonstrating parallel sound problems.

TVB did two issues of LOCH '82 on VHS...the initial 1983 printing and the 1987 printing. I do believe that my VHS copies (Pirating! Shhh!) come from the 1987 printing.
    I have 2 copies on VHS. One was recorded off rental tapes back in the 80s. My dad did them. Then I recorded a copy when they did re runs in the 90s. The only differences was picture quality. Sound was good on both.

I saw some of the VCD version, and I don't remember it having this problem.

The sound effects for weapons in action, however, have never been better. I was blown away by how *crisp* the sound of Yau Chui Gei's sword ripping forth from its scabbard sounded. It had never sounded like *that* before.

One thing that the relatively poor picture quality of the old VHS tapes did was hide a multitude of sins as far as bad makeup jobs was concerned. With the DVDs displaying everything in sharp, crystal clarity, certain flaws are now visible that weren't apparent in the fuzzier focus of VHS days.

The English subtitles are inconsistent. Some parts are great and very smooth. Others seem awkward and unnatural. There seems to be a lack of consistency from episode to episode as far as how certain names, etc., are translated.