Page 34 of 99 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    The sound effects for weapons in action, however, have never been better. I was blown away by how *crisp* the sound of Yau Chui Gei's sword ripping forth from its scabbard sounded. It had never sounded like *that* before.

One thing that the relatively poor picture quality of the old VHS tapes did was hide a multitude of sins as far as bad makeup jobs was concerned. With the DVDs displaying everything in sharp, crystal clarity, certain flaws are now visible that weren't apparent in the fuzzier focus of VHS days.

The English subtitles are inconsistent. Some parts are great and very smooth. Others seem awkward and unnatural. There seems to be a lack of consistency from episode to episode as far as how certain names, etc., are translated.
    Yeah Sound fx are really good. It's only the dialogue that is muffled. I just don't know why it sounds ok on the VCD.

LOL, yeah the fuzzy days made it more magical. Now it's too clear hahahaha.

Yeah i rarely turn on the english subs. I watched a little with them on and they disappear really fast. I usually watch it with traditional chinese subs. This helps me learn reading chinese a lot faster.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

it sounded great when they played it on TVB couple years ago, wish I had my DVR then....................

almo, what do you do with all your vcd copies once you've replaced it with DVDs?

Please don't telll me you throw them away. I'll buy them from you.

Quote Originally Posted by hello me
    almo, what do you do with all your vcd copies once you've replaced it with DVDs?

Please don't telll me you throw them away. I'll buy them from you.
    haha of course i don't chuck em. Actually i don't sell em either. Im a collector and even though i have newer versions of movies, tv shows, etc..., i still keep the original. I have a bunch of first generation Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung movies that i still keep even though i have the remastered DVD's already.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

WOW! You must have a lot of space for things Almo! By the way, do you guys think they will release the series from the 70s on DVD?? I think they will, especially the classics like HSDS 78, LXF from the 70s, CLH 79, etc...It will just take time though...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    WOW! You must have a lot of space for things Almo! By the way, do you guys think they will release the series from the 70s on DVD?? I think they will, especially the classics like HSDS 78, LXF from the 70s, CLH 79, etc...It will just take time though...
    I sure hope so. The 1970s decade featured some of the best work TVB has ever done. Back in those days, they were the "little studio that could."

Not just wuxia adaptations. Chow Yun Fat's teledrama series from the 1970s are among the best modern period dramas that TVB has ever done.

I sure hope so. The 1970s decade featured some of the best work TVB has ever done. Back in those days, they were the "little studio that could."

Not just wuxia adaptations. Chow Yun Fat's teledrama series from the 1970s are among the best modern period dramas that TVB has ever done.
    Yeah I wanna see "Chun Ching". I think it was late 70s and i heard it was really good.

I have a good feeling that they will release classics from the 70s, but it will just take time.... Also, if we really wanted them to, then we can petition for them to can't we??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    Yeah I wanna see "Chun Ching". I think it was late 70s and i heard it was really good.
    That was a good one, but even better was its immediate predecessor, THE MAN IN THE NET (officially called THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY, but I've always hated that title because it was ripped off from a classic Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western from the 1960s, but I digress). That series, in addition to showcasing the acting talents of Chow Yun Fat, Dodo Cheng, and numerous others of TVB's 1970s stalwarts, was a perfect snapshot of life in Hong Kong as it was at the end of the 1970s and dawn of the 1980s. This series is considered such a landmark in the history of Hong Kong culture that there's an exhibit dedicated to it at Hong Kong University.

Default looking for ancient drama

Hello everyone, I need help with this ancient drama im looking for.
    It is a hong kong ancient drama but i've forgotten the title and the casts.

It was shown on channel u tv around 2003 and 2004 in singapore and the timing was during the after work hours.

It was about this dragon girl who fell in love with a mortal man(i tihink he is a student in a acedemy). She had two other elder dragon brothers(if i did not rmb wrongly) and her dragon dad who is the king of the a sea(if i did not rmb wrongly).
    I do not rmb the real name of the dragon girl but i rmb tt the dragon girl told the mortal man tt her name is Xiao Yu when being asked. She saw this carp swimming around and thus told the mortal guy her name is Xiao Yu(fish).
    This dragon girl will turn from her human form into her dragon when her feet touches water.

i rmb one part very clearly where it was the 1st or 2nd episode when a little boy was floated away off shore on a raft and Xiao Yu did not even think twice when she just went into the waters to save the boy, forgetting that she will turn into her dragon form. The mortal man comes along and helps save the boy. The boy safely went back on shore, and when the mortal guy turned to say thank you to Xiao Yu(they haven really know each other yet), Xiao Yu was nowhere to be seen because during the attepmt to save the boy, Xiao Yu's dragon tail had appeared in the waters and before she is seen by mortals, Xiao Yu quickly went underwater and swam back to her dragon palace in the sea

I really want to find back this ancient story becouse i really like this drama very much and i hope all of you will assist me in this search!
    THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by ange1yn
    Hello everyone, I need help with this ancient drama im looking for.
    It is a hong kong ancient drama but i've forgotten the title and the casts.

It was shown on channel u tv around 2003 and 2004 in singapore and the timing was during the after work hours.

It was about this dragon girl who fell in love with a mortal man(i tihink he is a student in a acedemy). She had two other elder dragon brothers(if i did not rmb wrongly) and her dragon dad who is the king of the a sea(if i did not rmb wrongly).
    I do not rmb the real name of the dragon girl but i rmb tt the dragon girl told the mortal man tt her name is Xiao Yu when being asked. She saw this carp swimming around and thus told the mortal guy her name is Xiao Yu(fish).
    This dragon girl will turn from her human form into her dragon when her feet touches water.

i rmb one part very clearly where it was the 1st or 2nd episode when a little boy was floated away off shore on a raft and Xiao Yu did not even think twice when she just went into the waters to save the boy, forgetting that she will turn into her dragon form. The mortal man comes along and helps save the boy. The boy safely went back on shore, and when the mortal guy turned to say thank you to Xiao Yu(they haven really know each other yet), Xiao Yu was nowhere to be seen because during the attepmt to save the boy, Xiao Yu's dragon tail had appeared in the waters and before she is seen by mortals, Xiao Yu quickly went underwater and swam back to her dragon palace in the sea

I really want to find back this ancient story becouse i really like this drama very much and i hope all of you will assist me in this search!
    THANK YOU!
    It is called 人龍傳說, "Dragon Love" (1999)
    http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=398

Upcoming DVD Release:

O記實錄 - The Criminal Investigator (1995)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004668175/

Quote Originally Posted by wargods
    Upcoming DVD Release:

O記實錄 - The Criminal Investigator (1995)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004668175/

Finally! I have been waiting for this one.

The TVB releases seem to be mixed around. Before, it seemed like they were only doing the classics from the 80s, but then they started to do the 90s series and even some of the 2000 series.. I guess they want a mixture of series from modern to ancient, new and old... So that means, they may/will release some from the 70s as well....

The TVB releases seem to be mixed around. Before, it seemed like they were only doing the classics from the 80s, but then they started to do the 90s series and even some of the 2000 series.. I guess they want a mixture of series from modern to ancient, new and old... So that means, they may/will release some from the 70s as well....
    Well I think they are releasing it just like they did for the VCD, but they are not releasing anything that was already on VCD except for the 80s Jin Yong series.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    Well I think they are releasing it just like they did for the VCD, but they are not releasing anything that was already on VCD except for the 80s Jin Yong series.
    It would be a mistake for them not to. After that absolute work of butchery that was the VCD release of THE BUND, TVB would stand to make a real sales killing to sell THE BUND again in complete, unedited, digitally remastered DVD format.

I would add that they owe it to their loyal viewers to do so.

It would be a mistake for them not to. After that absolute work of butchery that was the VCD release of THE BUND, TVB would stand to make a real sales killing to sell THE BUND again in complete, unedited, digitally remastered DVD format.

I would add that they owe it to their loyal viewers to do so.
    They harsh owe it to us loyal fans that spent so much money on this sorta thing!

I think TVB really owes it to all of the loyal fans to release the Bund(although I never liked that series at all and still don't understand why it is sooo popular, but everyone has different taste) on DVD and unedited, as well as a lot of the other classics. I think TVB released it on VCD edited on purpose so that people will spend money on that first, then now they are releasing the DVDs uncut so people can spend even more money. Maybe they think if the fans want it enough, they will not mind buying another set.... Boy, TVB is really annoying. THey just want to make money and that's it!!
    Last edited by Trinie; 04-19-07 at 08:17 PM.

I think TVB really owes it to all of the loyal fans to release the Bund(although I never liked that series at all and still don't understand why it is sooo popular, but everyone has different taste) on DVD and unedited, as well as a lot of the other classics. I think TVB released it on VCD edited on purpose so that people will spend money on that first, then now they are releasing the DVDs uncut so people can spend even more money. Maybe they think if the fans want it enough, they will not mind buying another set.... Boy, TVB is really annoying. THey just want to make money and that's it!!
    Well said Trinie. Even though you don't like the Bund, but you wish to see it released, that's thinking for the big group. About your theory on TVB releasing their stuff edited on VCD at the beginning and then on DVD, I have to agree with you. My friend was saying this a few years ago. He pretty much guaranteed that TVB will release DVD's to milk more money out of us. In HK it's a different story, they don't seem to have the same love for these series that we do.

I'm almost certain that's the case as well. It's not as if the TVB DVDs feature *mindblowing* technology for 2007. TVB could have easily released these DVD sets six or seven years ago when it was issuing those godawful VCDs.

I still remember the incredulous gape I aimed at the store clerk six years ago when she told me that TVB had "edited out the boring parts" of THE BUND.

Yeah, that's right, TVB: obviously I can't trust my own judgment on what's "boring" on the classic series that YOU made, so I need you to selectively edit it out for me.

Sometimes, I believe that TVB thinks its audience is STOOPID.