Page 36 of 99 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bigben85
    the quality depends on the transfer. If they do a good transfer, it will still look better than dvd. Films don't have limited resolution...however, that being said, if they transfer it from tap instead of remastering it for HD, it won't look much better than dvd.
    It looks good enough on DVD. I'm not sure I *want* it in any higher resolution. TVB makeup and props were kind of crappy back in the day, but the relatively poor resolution of VHS helped to mask that somewhat. On DVD, with crystal clarity, the shortcomings of the makeup and props are much more apparent.

any idea what's getting released next? Flying fox (old one)?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    How many people would actually pay another big amount for the same series on Bluray or HDVD???
    i would =)

is it my imagination that disc formats are slow to take off in SE Asia?
    VCD is still in use,
    DVD titles were quite rare a couple of years ago..
    and Blu-ray/HD is non existent..
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

I guess maybe you are one of the few because I wouldn't pay so much more money for another set. I think DVD is already good enough. As long as it is uncut and pretty good quality, there is no use in me buying another set since it just takes up space and costs money...Unless I will sell my other sets, but then again.. who will buy them??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

but then maybe they will do another real, full, uncut version. just think about it

I don't get what you mean?? Do you mean one with the deleted scenes that none of us have ever seen before?? I highly doubt that...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I mean even the uncut versions that are released/being released are still missing some scenes from the original broadcast. What if they release versions that will have all the scenes intact...now that's cash milking

Quote Originally Posted by bigben85
    I mean even the uncut versions that are released/being released are still missing some scenes from the original broadcast. What if they release versions that will have all the scenes intact...now that's cash milking
    I have, by no means, finished watching my LOCH '82 DVD, but I know every inch of that series backwards and forwards. Up through Episode 10, at least, all that was missing was an unnecessary and redundant commercial break bumper or two.

I finished a long time ago and don't remember anything major missing at all... I think it was all in there, so I wouldn't pay more for an HD or BlueRay set...

I don't get what you mean?? Do you mean one with the deleted scenes that none of us have ever seen before?? I highly doubt that...

I heard the video rental store told me that he saw the Uncut of LOCH82. And still missing some part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I have, by no means, finished watching my LOCH '82 DVD, but I know every inch of that series backwards and forwards. Up through Episode 10, at least, all that was missing was an unnecessary and redundant commercial break bumper or two.
    I pretty much know every inch like you Ken and I didn't notice any cuts except for the commerical breaky bumper which I thought they shouldn't have removed. Only Grand Canal had noticeable cuts and all the other DVD sets appear to be uncut to me. I know that the Jin Yong sets say Uncut and the other DVD sets don't. Does this mean the regular sets are cut. From the sets I have, I don't see any cuts made. Can anybody confirm?
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Well, one of the modern series with Canti Lau and Noel Leung wasn't cut on DVD either... My friend said that she compared it with the VHS version and every part was intact....Yea, the grand canal was cut. Gosh, I was all looking forward to everything being intact just to get disappointed...

TO Bluesky,
    Which uncut version are you referring to? The VHS one??? Or did he see a version that was uncut on DVD?? I know that the Viet version on DVD is uncut since they just transfered it straight from the original tape source to the DVD. EVERY part is in there including all of the breaks, commericials,songs,etc....The quality on the Viet DVD is pretty good, but is still not as good as the CHinese version.
    Last edited by Trinie; 04-24-07 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89
    I pretty much know every inch like you Ken and I didn't notice any cuts except for the commerical breaky bumper which I thought they shouldn't have removed.
    Yes. TVB removed one commercial bumper from Episode 10 of Part I of LOCH '82. Gwok Jing (Felix Wong) was talking to Wong Yung (Barbara Yung) about hunting in Mongolia when he suddenly remembers that he's the Prince Consort of the Mongol Empire. Between his realization and his admission of such to Wong Yung, there was supposed to have been a commercial break. The bumper was removed, causing a somewhat odd segue between two scenes (which was not noticeable before because of the bumper).

Also, earlier in the same episode, the music on the first bumper was replaced. In the original VHS version, the normal theme music for the bumper was replaced by what I call the "LOCH Action Music" (which is usually played during huge battle scenes between armies, and during the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament in Part III). In the DVD, however, TVB has put the normal theme music back in place here (which was kind of a shame, because the modified version with the "Action Music" from the VHS sounded really cool in that context because it was in the middle of Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's first adventure together).

What bumper are you guys talking about?? I honestly don't remember....I guess even though I saw LOCH many many times, I don't have it memorized like you guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Yes. TVB removed one commercial bumper from Episode 10 of Part I of LOCH '82. Gwok Jing (Felix Wong) was talking to Wong Yung (Barbara Yung) about hunting in Mongolia when he suddenly remembers that he's the Prince Consort of the Mongol Empire. Between his realization and his admission of such to Wong Yung, there was supposed to have been a commercial break. The bumper was removed, causing a somewhat odd segue between two scenes (which was not noticeable before because of the bumper).

Also, earlier in the same episode, the music on the first bumper was replaced. In the original VHS version, the normal theme music for the bumper was replaced by what I call the "LOCH Action Music" (which is usually played during huge battle scenes between armies, and during the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament in Part III). In the DVD, however, TVB has put the normal theme music back in place here (which was kind of a shame, because the modified version with the "Action Music" from the VHS sounded really cool in that context because it was in the middle of Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's first adventure together).
    haha I know what you mean Ken. The thing is that with new series, they can get away with putting in one bumper per episode because the editing is better. With the older series' like LOCH, the bumpers were almost part of the show with the music blending into the next scene. When this bumper is removed, the music just kinda ends abruptly making it look and sound really weird.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Dan and I am a new member. I have been searching for information about old TVB series that are coming out on DVDs. You guys have been extremely helpful.

Secondly, I'd to say that it is about time someone mentions wanting State of Divinity 96 in DVD. I am really looking forward to that happening. That and The New Adventure of Chor Lau Heung (with one with Miu Kiu Wai).

Hearing all the butchering of the Grand Canal series is disheartening. I was THIS CLOSE to getting it on ebay. But without the last 5 minutes of the ending...blah.

Lastly, I have a question for all you faithful TVB fans on here. I am looking for the name of an old TVB series starring Miu Kiu Wai as a son who evently grows up and leads an army to defend his country. The kicker is, he was given a special piece of cloth that makes him impervious to fire and such. The series name has 2 words, and it sounds like this in cantonese "dick ching". Sorry for the possible bad word. Does anyone know the english title to this series?

DCT

you actually named the title it is The Legend of Dik Ching.

http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=160

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3797382384')

Hi Dan and welcome to this thread and forum! ABout that series, yea as sfccrx already mentioned it is called THe Legend of Dik Ching and no it has not been released in CHinese on DVD yet. THere is a Viet dubbed version out on DVD with all of the parts intact, but not one in Chinese yet. You are going to have to wait and be patient for CLH and SOD 96 to be released later on...

Hi Dan and welcome to this thread and forum! ABout that series, yea as sfccrx already mentioned it is called THe Legend of Dik Ching and no it has not been released in CHinese on DVD yet. THere is a Viet dubbed version out on DVD with all of the parts intact, but not one in Chinese yet. You are going to have to wait and be patient for CLH and SOD 96 to be released later on...
    I don't know if they are any plans to release 90s Jin Yong series, but I think they should definitely think about Gu Long sets.

You should be more positive Almo89! I honestly didn't even think they would re-release these series on DVD unedited and they are finally doing it and with English subtitles as well. I didn't think they would at all and they did!!! Therefore, anything is possible!!! TVB also wants to make money so I think they more likely will sooner or later....