Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

See, I don't care for the English subtitles in these new DVDs. I do care that they be in Cantonese. The only reason I want them in DVDs is the picture quality. I have been trying to find The Grand Canal in VHS that is in very good condition and transfer them to DVD myself. So far, no luck.

Has anyone here seen the ROCH 06? I got the Tai Seng version with cantonese and I must say the dialog is horrible. I don't know if they really screwed up the dubbing or the original script had really dumb dialogs. Watching that drove me back to watch ROCH 96.

Oh, anyone knows the English title to the old movie about the Young family? It is the one with Andy Lau as son #6.

DCT

Quote Originally Posted by wutang_monkey
    Oh, anyone knows the English title to the old movie about the Young family? It is the one with Andy Lau as son #6.
    The Yangs' Saga (1985)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/asianmv_1943_410594290')
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1000023723/

Quote Originally Posted by wutang_monkey
    See, I don't care for the English subtitles in these new DVDs. I do care that they be in Cantonese. The only reason I want them in DVDs is the picture quality. I have been trying to find The Grand Canal in VHS that is in very good condition and transfer them to DVD myself. So far, no luck.

Has anyone here seen the ROCH 06? I got the Tai Seng version with cantonese and I must say the dialog is horrible. I don't know if they really screwed up the dubbing or the original script had really dumb dialogs. Watching that drove me back to watch ROCH 96.

DCT
    Ya that's pretty much how I am. The original cantonese track must be good and the picture quality has to be superb. If you want to transfer Grand Canal to DVD, you might as well wait for it to re run on TV and record to straight to DVD.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Ken here with what I believe to be a musical cue change on the LOCH '82 DVDs.

In one of the episodes, wherein Temujin officially gains the title "Genghis Khan" and is about to award Gwok Jing the title of Golden Dagger Prince Consort of the Mongol Empire, the scene wherein Princess Hua Jeng served wine to the celebrating Mongol leaders (who had just defeated their enemies, the Kereit tribe) originally used the haunting theme music from the 1982 ABC (USA) miniseries MARCO POLO, about the 14th Century Venetian explorer of the same name. That miniseries was a bit of a dud in the ratings (especially compared to the phenomenally successful SHOGUN series from a year earlier), but the theme tune was memorable. Anyway, TVB at the time must have figured that since this theme was used in a miniseries about the Mongols during the time of Kublai Khan, they would recycle it for use in the LOCH '82 adaptation to provide a similar "Mongolian" atmosphere. TVB probably figured that few members of its Hong Kong audience would ever see the American miniseries and hear the Mongolian-themed music.

That was back in 1982. Flash forward twenty-five years. The LOCH '82 DVD is released to a global audience, and copyright laws are *far* more stringent now than they were back in 1982. Perhaps wary that someone in the legal department of ABC Television in the USA might see LOCH '82 and hear the music that ABC used for the MARCO POLO miniseries, TVB cut this music out of the scene on the DVD...letting the dialogue of the scene (literally) speak for itself.

WOW...TVB will release Cherished Moments (1990) next month....is this a surprise or what?

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004710351/

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    WOW...TVB will release Cherished Moments (1990) next month....is this a surprise or what?

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004710351/
    Is it just me, or does TVB's selection of past series for DVD reissue just seem completely random these days?

That's what I think too.... Their releases are just random...I have been noticing that for a long time, but I thought that it was just me...
    Last edited by Trinie; 04-29-07 at 05:43 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I think TVB already had a list of series in mind that they really want to release on DVD....they are just waiting for a good timing to release it, hence the sellings for that particular serial would be good....

Adding to my collection:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1370/dsc00701vw0.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5255/dsc00702rj5.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5591/dsc00703ty8.jpg')

Criminal Investigator has a awesome box art. Can we say the best so far? I'm watching it right now and Felix Wong is such a badass. I love it. I've seen this series once many years ago, so it's refreshing now.

DGSD seemed to move away from the previous boxart themes. It's totally different but still really good.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

WOW, thanks for sharing Almo!!! Are these the official TVB releases?? Did you buy them at the store or at Yesasia?? I think the boxart is nice for both of them...How is the quality and sound so far??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    WOW, thanks for sharing Almo!!! Are these the official TVB releases?? Did you buy them at the store or at Yesasia?? I think the boxart is nice for both of them...How is the quality and sound so far??
    Both of these are official HK versions from HK as the Canadian version are not yet available. I bought this at a local store. It's the only way I can get the HK version. I can't buy from yesasia as it's only available to US customers. Will let you know about the quality when im done watching.

Thanks and how much did you get each set for?? I am just curious if it is cheaper or not...Really?? I think you can buy at Yesasia if you live in Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Thanks and how much did you get each set for?? I am just curious if it is cheaper or not...Really?? I think you can buy at Yesasia if you live in Canada...
    I forgot the exact price. Maybe if i can find a receipt somewhere. Usually the Canadian version are cheaper, but lately Yesasia has been really cheap. Like those 25 bucks US Tai Seng versions. I opted for HK version cause it would be faster and I was willing to pay more to get it right away. As for not being able to buy on Yesasia, certain sets are limited to only US. Technically speaking, I think it's illegal for me to buy Tai Seng versions. Right now when I go to Yesasia, most of the DVD sets say "This product is no longer for sale". I lucked out on Angels and Devils and From Act to Act as I was able to pick them up at Yesasia for 25 bucks a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Adding to my collection:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1370/dsc00701vw0.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5255/dsc00702rj5.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5591/dsc00703ty8.jpg')

Criminal Investigator has a awesome box art. Can we say the best so far? I'm watching it right now and Felix Wong is such a badass. I love it. I've seen this series once many years ago, so it's refreshing now.

DGSD seemed to move away from the previous boxart themes. It's totally different but still really good.
    I wish the Tai Seng boxes were like that, I'll take pics of it when I get home from work.

too lazy to take pics, but this is how the Tai Seng box of the DGSD is, gotta take out the odd numbered disc to watch the even number, it is the sux, at least the videos are great.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2395/domd27uv.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/193/picture025wi1.jpg')

Wow, didn't know that Criminal Investigators was out. Felix does look like a badass with that shotgun! I've seen part 2 but never seen part 1 so I guess I'll be getting this. On another note, I hope they release State of Divinity 96 pretty soon....
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

Quote Originally Posted by sfccrx View Post
    too lazy to take pics, but this is how the Tai Seng box of the DGSD is, gotta take out the odd numbered disc to watch the even number, it is the sux, at least the videos are great.
    Yeah Tai Seng seems to be using the "Regular" plastic boxes inside even for the Jin Yong series. What sux is that the disks are overlapping each other, making it hard to take out.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Wow, didn't know that Criminal Investigators was out. Felix does look like a badass with that shotgun! I've seen part 2 but never seen part 1 so I guess I'll be getting this. On another note, I hope they release State of Divinity 96 pretty soon....

Felix is the total badass, but Sunny Chan is not the badass the box shows him to be. He's a total pansy in this series haha.

Default Yeung Hong, filial loyalty, patriotism, and...orange juice?!

Hilarious blooper in LOCH '82 discovered thanks to DVD picture clarity:

I've never noticed this before in all my times in watching LOCH '82, but in Episode 18 of Part 1 (the second-to-last episode of Part 1), about fifteen minutes in, there's the scene wherein Yau Chui Gei attempts to force Yeung Hong to acknowledge Yeung Teet Sum as his true father. Well, in the foreground of that scene, on a small table, there's evidently an OPEN CAN OF ORANGE JUICE...complete with plastic drinking draw sticking out!

Apparently, somebody had been drinking orange juice on the set before taping began. Whoever was responsible for the set forgot to remove the orange juice can before the tape started to run. I don't know if the editors just failed to notice, or noticed but decided it wasn't worth retaping the scene, but that orange juice can is in the scene...plain and clear on the DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Hilarious blooper in LOCH '82 discovered thanks to DVD picture clarity:

I've never noticed this before in all the times in watching LOCH '82, but in Episode 18 of Part 1 (the second-to-last episode of Part 1), about fifteen minutes in, there's the scene wherein Yau Chui Gei attempts to force Yeung Hong to acknowledge Yeung Teet Sum as his true father. Well, the foreground of that scene, on a small table, there's evidently an OPEN CAN OF ORANGE JUICE...complete with plastic drinking draw sticking out!

Apparently, somebody had been drinking orange juice on the set before taping began. Whoever was responsible for the set forgot to remove the orange juice can before taping began. I don't know if the editors just failed to notice, or noticed but decided it wasn't worth retaping the scene, but that orange juice can is in the scene...plain and clear on the DVD!
    That's wicked!! Good ol 80s! On the other hand, maybe Yeung Teet Sum likes to drink orange juice?