Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    That's wicked!! Good ol 80s!
    I wonder if somebody in the cast or crew left the can of juice there as an "Easter Egg?"

That's wicked!! Good ol 80s! On the other hand, maybe Yeung Teet Sum likes to drink orange juice?
    Well, he was certainly drinking alot in LOCH '82, but he was drinking something considerably stronger than orange juice!

WOW Ken, you are really observant!!! I have never noticed that... I have seen LOCH too many times to count and did not ever see that can of orange juice. I need to rewatch that scene again sometime... I guess the directors and crew didn't think people would notice so they didn't re film the scene...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    WOW Ken, you are really observant!!! I have never noticed that... I have seen LOCH too many times to count and did not ever see that can of orange juice. I need to rewatch that scene again sometime... I guess the directors and crew didn't think people would notice so they didn't re film the scene...
    I'd never noticed it before either, but with the fuzzy picture quality of old VHS tapes, to the extent that I might have noticed it, I probably thought it was a prop piece such as a chopstick holder or something like that. With the DVD's crystal clarity, there was no mistaking what it was: a can of orange juice.

I finished watching Criminal Investigator. Picture quality was by far the best I've seen so far out of all DVD sets. The colour levels were really nice and they didn't brighten up the picture like in the other sets. The sound was good as usual.

The series itself was awesome. I haven't seen it in a long time and it was very refreshing. I liked Felix Wong in this one a lot. It was a one man show. Now im working through DGSD
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

hey almo

where in vancouver are you buying your dvdsets from? and how much?

i'm heading up there next week and would like to pick up some dvd sets....

thanks!
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    hey almo

where in vancouver are you buying your dvdsets from? and how much?

i'm heading up there next week and would like to pick up some dvd sets....

thanks!
    I get all my stuff at MX Square at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond. Usually the prices are cheaper than MAL. MAL is rip and I never go there anymore. Lately MX Square has been a little more expensive because the Canadian Distributor has been slow as sh*t, so the boss is getting some of the latest sets directly from HK. So when you go there, you'll see the price range for DVD sets varying.

Right now cheapest is Yesasia. They are selling their sets for 25 bucks US a set, but you might not be able to get them in Canada. I lucked out on From Act to Act and Angels and Devils.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Finished part 1 of DGSD. The video looks weak at some places. Mainly the exterior scenes. The stuff that was shot in the studio sets were generally good. Sometimes you would see some tracking problems. You thought you were watching VHS, but it was nothing major and expected from an old series. I love Leung Kar Yan. Damn he just kicks everybody's @$$

Finished part 1 of DGSD. The video looks weak at some places. Mainly the exterior scenes. The stuff that was shot in the studio sets were generally good.
    DGSD '81 was one of the last times that TVB used either 16-mm or 35-mm film (not sure which) to shoot exterior scenes while using videotape to do studio shots. That was common practice at TVB in the 1970s and the very early 1980s (until 1982, at least). The transition between the two formats was often jarring. DGSD '81 used both 16/35-mm film and videotape for its exterior scenes. Not sure exactly why (probably some kind of editing and effects issue).

A year later, when TVB did LOCH '82, it had gone to ALL videotape (no more film) for external and studio shots. That's the way it's been ever since (although TVB probably uses DAT these days).

I love Leung Kar Yan. Damn he just kicks everybody's @$$
    Heh. Yeah, I'm a fan too. Brian "Beardy" Leung (Ga Yan) is one of the underrated wuxia actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    DGSD '81 was one of the last times that TVB used either 16- mm or 35-mm film (not sure which) to shoot exterior scenes while using videotape to do studio shots. That was common practice at TVB in the 1970s and the very early 1980s (until 1982, at leas). The transition between the two formats was often jarring. DGSD '81 used both 16/35-mm film and videotape for its exterior scenes. Not sure exactly why (probably some kind of editing and effects issue).

A year later, when TVB did LOCH '82, it had gone to ALL videotape (no more film) for external and studio shots. That's the way it's been ever since (although TVB probably uses DAT these days).

Heh. Yeah, I'm a fan too. Brian "Beardy" Leung (Ga Yan) is one of the underrated wuxia actors.
    Yeah I noticed that the early TVB stuff was shot in film when they were outside. You can totally tell as the lighting and framerates are so different.

In regard to LOCH going to all video tape, what about those in the "pool" shots for those water scenes. Those looked really film to me.

In regard to LOCH going to all video tape, what about those in the "pool" shots for those water scenes. Those looked really film to me.
    Do you mean the underwater scenes? Those were probably done on film...probably only because in 1982, there wasn't yet a video camera that could operate underwater (or if there was, TVB didn't own any).

Do you mean the underwater scenes? Those were probably done on film...probably only because in 1982, there wasn't yet a video camera that could operate underwater (or if there was, TVB didn't own any).

Yeah thought so. It was so obvious that those were shot inside a pool.

So Ken, have you been working on those DVDs? I've been ripping through them everyday.

So Ken, have you been working on those DVDs? I've been ripping through them everyday.
    Yeah, but I have a strange habit when it comes to watching TVB series...be it on VHS or DVD. I only do one episode per day, on weekdays only...just like people in Hong Kong would have watched the series on broadcast television back in the day. I find that by pacing myself like that, I don't burn out the series' appeal for me (also, it helps me drink in the details better).

Tonight, I've reached the halfway point of LOCH '82: Episode 10 of Part II (which would be Episode 29 of the series overall). This is where both Gwok Jing and Au Yeung Hak arrive on Peach Blossom Island to compete for Wong Yung's hand in marriage, and where Gwok Jing meets Chow Bak Tung for the first time.

I started watching the series on DVD six weeks ago.

Yeah, but I have a strange habit when it comes to watching TVB series...be it on VHS or DVD. I only do one episode per day, on weekdays only...just like people in Hong Kong would have watched the series on broadcast television back in the day. I find that by pacing myself like that, I don't burn out the series' appeal for me (also, it helps me drink in the details better).

Tonight, I've reached the halfway point of LOCH '82: Episode 10 of Part II (which would be Episode 29 of the series overall). This is where both Gwok Jing and Au Yeung Hak arrive on Peach Blossom Island to compete for Wong Yung's hand in marriage, and where Gwok Jing meets Chow Bak Tung for the first time.

I started watching the series on DVD six weeks ago.
    I'm the opposite. I rip through as many as i can. It's just as addicting when rewatchin.

My TV viewing schedule is as regular as a diet.

Monday to Friday nights: one episode of a classic TVB wuxia series (40 minutes) + one episode of a classic 1970s/1980s anime sci-fi series (i.e. STAR BLAZERS, ROBOTECH, or GUNDAM) (22 minutes).

Saturday night: one episode of an old 1970s Japanese or American superhero series (JINZO NINGEN KIKAIDA or SHAZAM!) (22 minutes) + one episode of an old 1980s action/adventure/espionage/sci-fi series (AIRWOLF) (one hour)

Sunday night: either a movie or just a break from watching anything

In between, I might catch a news program, a PBS documentary, one of the late night talk shows (i.e. THE TONIGHT SHOW or LATE NIGHT), etc., but other than that, I don't watch much television (HATE so-called "reality" shows).

My TV viewing schedule is as regular as a diet.

Monday to Friday nights: one episode of a classic TVB wuxia series (40 minutes) + one episode of a classic 1970s/1980s anime sci-fi series (i.e. STAR BLAZERS, ROBOTECH, or GUNDAM) (22 minutes).

Saturday night: one episode of an old 1970s Japanese or American superhero series (JINZO NINGEN KIKAIDA or SHAZAM!) (22 minutes) + one episode of an old 1980s action/adventure/espionage/sci-fi series (AIRWOLF) (one hour)

Sunday night: either a movie or just a break from watching anything

In between, I might catch a news program, a PBS documentary, one of the late night talk shows (i.e. THE TONIGHT SHOW or LATE NIGHT), etc., but other than that, I don't watch much television (HATE so-called "reality" shows).
    You got good taste in TV shows............................ where did you get Shazam? I'm waitng for Isis July 24 and Voyager on July 17, I love Airwolf, got most so far and waiting for Season 3 this Tuesday. I love all the Macross and Robotech. I'm an 80's freak myself. Grew up on A-Team, Airwolf, and Knight Rider, wish TVB would come out with the Police Cadet series.....................

Quote Originally Posted by sfccrx View Post
    wish TVB would come out with the Police Cadet series.....................
    WORD! I grew up watching Police Cadet. I always wanted to become a cop because of this. I remember myself doing those routines and trying to beat Kit Low's 100+ push ups.

You got good taste in TV shows............................ where did you get Shazam?
    Heh. Thanks. Most people would probably say that my TV tastes are weird, but I don't give a damn.

SHAZAM! is not commercially available on DVD yet (at least not in professional, high quality form). I've got bootleg VHS tapes that I bought at the San Diego Comic Con a few years back. These certainly *look* like they date from the 1970s.

I grew up with that show, however, so as corny as it is, I still dig it.

I love Airwolf, got most so far and waiting for Season 3 this Tuesday.
    So am I. I'm hoping that even Season 4 (the season where Stringfellow Hawke is replaced by his brother, Saint John) will be released soon.

f. Grew up on A-Team, Airwolf, and Knight Rider, wish TVB would come out with the Police Cadet series.....................
    I've watched all those shows too. A-TEAM wasn't my bag, but I loved KNIGHT RIDER (for the car; never did like Michael Knight/David Hasselhoff that much). I'm waiting for TVB to release THE BUND on DVD myself.

A friend of mine who has been working at TVB for quite a while told me that TVB will release the following in DVDs very soon, they are:

- 他來自江湖 (The Justice of Life), 1989
    - 都市的童話 (Romance Beyond), 1993
    - 龍兄鼠弟 [Overseas: 追日者] (The Edge of Righteousness), 1993

The first one on the list is probably one of the most anticipated DVD releases.
    The second one is popular as well, but I am really surprised that TVB would release The Edge of Righteousness. I guess The Key Man DVD release did very good selling.
    Last edited by wargods; 05-22-07 at 10:54 PM.