Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    A friend of mine who has been working at TVB for quite a while told me that TVB will release the following in DVDs very soon, they are:

- 他來自江湖 (The Justice of Life), 1989
    - 都市的童話 (Romance Beyond), 1993
    - 龍兄鼠弟 [Overseas: 追日者] (The Edge of Righteousness), 1993

The first one on the list is probably one of the most anticipated DVD releases.
    The second one is popular as well, but I am really surprised that TVB would release The Edge of Righteousness. I guess The Key Man DVD release did very good selling.
    The first one is a surprise since it's already out on VCD. I hope this is a good sign to release some of the other series on VCD to DVD. Stuff like Police Cadet 84, The Bund and The Shell Game which has been HEAVILY edited. I have all 3 of those on VCD and haven't been so disappointed in my life.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Heh. Thanks. Most people would probably say that my TV tastes are weird, but I don't give a damn.
    I've watched all those shows too. A-TEAM wasn't my bag, but I loved KNIGHT RIDER (for the car; never did like Michael Knight/David Hasselhoff that much). I'm waiting for TVB to release THE BUND on DVD myself.
    Your tastes are definitely not weird! Wasn't there a release for THE BUND in Japan some years ago?
    A lot of posters seem to be from the west coast. Have any of you heard of Akihabara video club in Vancouver? Is this place still around?

I finished DGSD a few days ago. It's weird, I have no more DVD's to watch right now. It's just movies for now, but I have to wait until TVB releases something good. I didn't get their 2 latest releases. We need more shows. keep em rollin.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

OT a bit.

Can any1 tell me wats the critera that TVB use to decide whether to make DVD version for the series which are broadcasted.

The shop staff which i bought the TVB dramas told me dat not all TVB dramas has DVD version & I was very disappointed lol.....since i had tot DVD disks can be stored longer & easier to watch s no need to change disc so often lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by puffins View Post
    OT a bit.

Can any1 tell me wats the critera that TVB use to decide whether to make DVD version for the series which are broadcasted.

The shop staff which i bought the TVB dramas told me dat not all TVB dramas has DVD version & I was very disappointed lol.....since i had tot DVD disks can be stored longer & easier to watch s no need to change disc so often lol.....
    Unless we work at TVB, we will never know the criteria. If you check previous releases, they are as random as it gets. So far the shows that were already on VCD, aren't released on DVD>. The only exceptions are 80s Jin Yong series'. Yeah VCD's piss me off. I like watching one eps at a time and each DVD holds 4 episodes.

Just Found out from TVB.com that Heart of Greed is coming out on DVD.

According to kymak @ Tower 3A forum, TVB will release the following DVDs next:

Against the Blade of Honour 圓月彎刀 (1995)
    The Edge of Righteousness 龍兄鼠弟 (1993)

My friend was right after all

According to kymak @ Tower 3A forum, TVB will release the following DVDs next:

Against the Blade of Honour 圓月彎刀 (1995)
    The Edge of Righteousness 龍兄鼠弟 (1993)

My friend was right after all
    Does ur friend know what else could be released?

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Does ur friend know what else could be released?
    I will let you know, as soon as more info becomes available.
    Last edited by wargods; 06-03-07 at 09:44 PM.

Will these be uncut and with English subtitles?? I wonder if they will be releasing more classics?
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Those new releases won't have english subtitles....
    They will be releasing more classics for sure, but you will need to wait.

Those new releases won't have english subtitles....
    They will be releasing more classics for sure, but you will need to wait.
    Good to hear that there will be more classics. I will wait patiently.

About Eng titles, i always wondered why they don't have it. Is it that hard?

Thanks wargods! Of course I know we all need to be patient. That is what I have always been telling other people.

I actually don't need English subtitles since I understand Chinese and all. I was just asking for some of my friends that don't. They always ask me if there are any classics released on DVD uncut and with English subtitles. I think they don't do English subtitles for every series because they do take a lot of work to do if you want to have good ones. I have seen pretty bad English subtitles...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

青出於藍 Shine On You (2004, with English subtitle of cuz) should be released after Against the Blade of Honour and The Edge of Righteousness.

The other two series I mentioned will probably be released after Shine On You and other releases that I may not know.

So the releases from almo89's Yesasia list should come out very soon.
    Last edited by wargods; 06-12-07 at 12:35 AM.

青出於藍 Shine On You (2004, with English subtitle of cuz) should be released after Against the Blade of Honour and The Edge of Righteousness.

The other two series I mentioned will probably be released after Shine On You and other releases that I may not know.

So the releases from almo89's Yesasia list should come out very soon.
    Thanks! Just out of curiousity, how come they are releasing english subtitles for some series only?

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Thanks! Just out of curiousity, how come they are releasing english subtitles for some series only?
    They are probably too lazy to translate those old series.

Jin Yung releases = good sales guaranteed = DVDs with english subtitles

"Shine On You" DVD that is available for renting purpose has subtitles included....thats why.

They are probably too lazy to translate those old series.
    "Lazy" being the operative word. Often, the subtitles were all right, but there were many moments where you *knew* somebody hadn't run Spellcheck or checked for typos. Also, a few translations could have been thought out a little better.

But it's not just TVB. Even big, professional U.S. media companies such as CNN, which *should* know better, are letting their employees get away with murder as far as grammar and spelling are concerned. There seems to be no respect for the language anymore.

Anyway, that's the end of my English teacher's rant.

What I have been trying to say was, if TVB thinks one particular series has potential to produce great sales numbers, they wouldnt mind wasting money and time on translating dialogues from old series into english subtitles.

So far only the new Series (2003 and beyond) and Jin Yung releases have eng subs.

What I have been trying to say was, if TVB thinks one particular series has potential to produce great sales numbers, they wouldnt mind wasting money and time on translating dialogues from old series into english subtitles.

So far only the new Series (2003 and beyond) and Jin Yung releases have eng subs.
    Thanks for keeping us updated with the info. Looking forward to hear more exciting news about TVB DVD's.

I really really REALLY want State of Divinity 96 bad!! With English sub ofcourse. Since I can't understand Cantonese the english sub will help. And yes I prefer it in Cantonese, but if there's a dvd of it in my language I would go for it as well. I LOVE State of Divinity 96 so much, it's one of the best and rare Jin Yong remake of the 90s by TVB. It's also the best adaption ever out of all the other "smiling proud wanderer/State of divinity" adaptation in my opinion.

So I look forward to some news and hope TVB will soon hear my wishes. I'm also gonna hang out in this thread more often now as well just to keep in touch, thanks guys for being helpful! If there's any information, please let me know.

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by FishingPole; 06-13-07 at 12:20 AM.