Page 40 of 99 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by FishingPole View Post
    I really really REALLY want State of Divinity 96 bad!! With English sub ofcourse. Since I can't understand Cantonese the english sub will help. And yes I prefer it in Cantonese, but if there's a dvd of it in my language I would go for it as well. I LOVE State of Divinity 96 so much, it's one of the best and rare Jin Yong remake of the 90s by TVB. It's also the best adaption ever out of all the other "smiling proud wanderer/State of divinity" adaptation in my opinion.

So I look forward to some news and hope TVB will soon hear my wishes. I'm also gonna hang out in this thread more often now as well just to keep in touch, thanks guys for being helpful! If there's any information, please let me know.

Thanks again!!
    I know what you mean. It's the worse when you can't watch a show in its original language because it doens't have eng subs. I can understand canto, but mandarin is still kinda tough for me. I hate it when there are no english subs for a mandarin movie or series. I can sometimes get away with traditional chinese subs when watching mandarin, but it's still tough. I'm learning my chinese by watching TVB stuff with chinese subs.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I'm looking forward for The Breaking Point.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    I'm looking forward for The Breaking Point.

I brought the vcd for this and guess what? i didnt realise it was in Mandarin and there was no canto!!!!

will the dvd have canto???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelbabiie View Post
    I brought the vcd for this and guess what? i didnt realise it was in Mandarin and there was no canto!!!!

will the dvd have canto???!!!!
    You must have bought an alternate version or bootleg. I have BP on VCD and it's Canto on the the left channel and Mandarin on the right. The safest is to get the actual HK version.

If the DVD does come out, it will be in Canto and Mandarin.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I actually like watching only CHinese/Taiwanese series in Mandarin since it is weird to watch TVB series in Mandarin. Anyways, which other series are you guys looking forward to??? I am waiting for Fei Ying, Hier to the throne and some others..The TVB releases should have both though....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Here's how I think TVB is doing its DVD releases.

It randomly writes down the names of a dozen or so series that have been popular since the 1980s. It then tapes these names to the wall, and then it has a blindfolded Sir Run Run Shaw throw darts at the wall. Whatever series title the darts land on, that's what TVB releases.

Hey...it's as good an explanation as any other for the TVB release schedule so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Here's how I think TVB is doing its DVD releases.

It randomly writes down the names of a dozen or so series that have been popular since the 1980s. It then tapes these names to the wall, and then it has a blindfolded Sir Run Run Shaw throw darts at the wall. Whatever series title the darts land on, that's what TVB releases.

Hey...it's as good an explanation as any other for the TVB release schedule so far!
    Run Run Shaw doesn't have the strength to throw any type of darts these days I think Mona Fong took the shots herself.

I thought they did e knee meanie mine knee moe(oh gosh, did I even spell that right??)... I heard TVB say that they had a schedule that they followed and that they will ONLY release the classics... Hm.. I wonder what they consider a "classic"???
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I thought they did e knee meanie mine knee moe(oh gosh, did I even spell that right??)... I heard TVB say that they had a schedule that they followed and that they will ONLY release the classics... Hm.. I wonder what they consider a "classic"???

Yeah how do you spell that? Classic is a vague word. I doubt they will only release "classics". Heart of Greed is coming out, so pretty much anything be on DVD.

We all know Ken is waiting for the Bund. I am waiting myself for that too, but having Police Cadet 84 and 85 to my collection will make me very happy

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Yeah how do you spell that? Classic is a vague word. I doubt they will only release "classics". Heart of Greed is coming out, so pretty much anything be on DVD.

We all know Ken is waiting for the Bund. I am waiting myself for that too, but having Police Cadet 84 and 85 to my collection will make me very happy

watching 85 now on TVB weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sfccrx View Post
    watching 85 now on TVB weekend.
    I liked 85 more because Chow Yun Fat, Simon Yam and Tony Leung were all in one show. Simon Yam was a excellent A hole style villain. 84 will have a spot in my heart because I loved the training scenes. Tony Leung displays great acting as in 84 he was a immature person, but in 85 it was already about him being in the police force for 5 years. You can tell he totally matured up, but in reality the actual show was only 1 year apart. That's great acting.

I liked 85 more because Chow Yun Fat, Simon Yam and Tony Leung were all in one show. Simon Yam was a excellent A hole style villain. 84 will have a spot in my heart because I loved the training scenes. Tony Leung displays great acting as in 84 he was a immature person, but in 85 it was already about him being in the police force for 5 years. You can tell he totally matured up, but in reality the actual show was only 1 year apart. That's great acting.
    By 1985, however, which I think was Chow Yun Fat's last year with TVB as an actor, Chow had really begun to mail in his performances for the station. He had been unhappy with them for some time, as he was itching to get his film career underway. I feel that the last time that Chow Yun Fat gave a halfway decent performance for TVB where he actually looked like he was *trying* was probably in 1983.

But I think he's been mailing it in for most of his movie career too, despite having become a big international superstar.

I keep telling people: if you haven't seen the work Chow Yun Fat did for TVB between 1975-1982, you really haven't seen the best of his acting work. Forget Mark Gor. Forget the God of Gamblers. Forget Li Mu Bai. Forget that pirate he played in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN III. Chow Yun Fat was at the top of his game when he played Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND. It's been all downhill after that.

But as Hui Mun Keung, he was the greatest actor EVER.

By 1985, however, which I think was Chow Yun Fat's last year with TVB as an actor, Chow had really begun to mail in his performances for the station. He had been unhappy with them for some time, as he was itching to get his film career underway. I feel that the last time that Chow Yun Fat gave a halfway decent performance for TVB where he actually looked like he was *trying* was probably in 1983.

But I think he's been mailing it in for most of his movie career too, despite having become a big international superstar.

I keep telling people: if you haven't seen the work Chow Yun Fat did for TVB between 1975-1982, you really haven't seen the best of his acting work. Forget Mark Gor. Forget the God of Gamblers. Forget Li Mu Bai. Forget that pirate he played in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN III. Chow Yun Fat was at the top of his game when he played Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND. It's been all downhill after that.

What is mailing it?

Yeah, I haven't seen his acting during 1975-1982, and so the movies I've seen him in are not really great. His acting in them are not as stellar as I hope it to be. Is his Linghu Chong any good? I'm hesitant to watch since I've never quite enjoyed his acting thus far.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What is mailing it?
    "Mailing it in" is an American expression meaning to do a job, but to not give it 100% effort or care. The job gets done competently, but without the great dedication and craftsmanship that the worker is known to be capable of.

Yeah, I haven't seen his acting during 1975-1982, and so the movies I've seen him in are not really great. His acting in them are not as stellar as I hope it to be. Is his Linghu Chong any good? I'm hesitant to watch since I've never quite enjoyed his acting thus far.
    By the time Chow Yun Fat portrayed Ling Wu Chung in THE PROUD, SMILING WANDERER, he had already begun his period of "mailing it in." His performance as Ling Wu Chung was utterly flat.

I think THE FATES from 1981 was the last classic Chow Yun Fat TVB performance. He was never quite the same after that.

But his 1975-1981 work is enough to ensure his legend. Hell, THE BUND would ensure his legend even if that were the only thing he ever did in his whole career.

I disagree that it's been downhill after that. Mark Gor was the role that made him a superstar. Lets not forget that Chow made dramas too and was excellent in them. All About Ah Long, Prison on Fire and An Autumn's Tale were some great ones. Also, Chow can do comedies too.

I disagree that it's been downhill after that. Mark Gor was the role that made him a superstar. Lets not forget that Chow made dramas too and was excellent in them. All About Ah Long, Prison on Fire and An Autumn's Tale were some great ones. Also, Chow can do comedies too.
    I've seen these movies, but I felt that Chow's performance in each of them was a letdown compared to his best TVB work. Mark Gor did *not* have the transcendental cool of Hui Mun Keung; he was basically just a guy with a pair of guns (and don't me get me started on John Woo's cliched filming techniques; I freaking *hate* that stuff). In some of those other movies, Chow acted competently...not as badly as he did in his later TVB stuff, but also without the intensity and subtlety of his best TVB work.

But you know who has NEVER mailed it in as far as I know is Simon Yam. Now there's a guy who always puts 100% into his acting no matter what the role. Yam was never quite as good as Chow when Chow was at his best (Yam couldn't do Hui Mun Keung, I think), but on the other hand, Yam has been more consistently at the top of his game than Chow has been at his. Chow can reach heights that Yam can't (which doesn't mean that Yam is a poor actor), but on the other hand, Yam is much more reliable in delivering his top performance than Chow.

But you know who has NEVER mailed it in as far as I know is Simon Yam. Now there's a guy who always puts 100% into his acting no matter what the role. Yam was never quite as good as Chow when Chow was at his best (Yam couldn't do Hui Mun Keung, I think), but on the other hand, Yam has been more consistently at the top of his game than Chow has been at his. Chow can reach heights that Yam can't (which doesn't mean that Yam is a poor actor), but on the other hand, Yam is much more reliable in delivering his top performance than Chow.
    Yah, I agree, Simon Yam is very good in all the roles I've seen him in. Good and Villian type roles.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

watching them both in Police Cadet '85 now, Yam sure puts the E in evil.

Upcoming DVD Release:

都市的童話 Romance Beyond (1993)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id=1004862246/

金枝慾孽 War and Beauty (2004)
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004862307/