Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Thumbs up

OOH!! "dai see doi" is my all time favorite tvb drama. kudos to u for watching this series.

tell me about it - i'm just watching Drive of Life and i have to keep reminding myself to watch it because its a large production, historically important, involves big cast across both lands, its meant to be busines orientated thats why its at times so drone, lots of money, .... just so I keep watching. Greed of Man had me at the start and I was so determined to be bored by these old series.

Despite its extremeness at times, it feels so much more real than those big classy family dramas like HOG and Family Link

Again on the soundtrack issue:

Things sound just fine and in the correct balance when I watch the DVDs on my portable DVD player using headphones. Although the original soundtracks for these series were taped in mono back in the 1980s, it's possible that they have been somehow remixed for stereo or 5.1 sound in the DVD mastering process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Again on the soundtrack issue:

Things sound just fine and in the correct balance when I watch the DVDs on my portable DVD player using headphones. Although the original soundtracks for these series were taped in mono back in the 1980s, it's possible that they have been somehow remixed for stereo or 5.1 sound in the DVD mastering process.
    I'm pretty sure it's not 5.1 when we watch it. It's mono, but u could be right that they could be messing around with the sound during the DVD mastering process and then converting it back to mono again when on DVD. Either way, LOCH sounds the worse out of all DVD sets. DGSD which is older, but doesn't have any sound issues. Because of this, I doubt age has to do anything with it. This stuff sounded fine on VCD. So i agree with u that they could be experimenting with the sound during the mastering process and messed up. The sound fx are loud and crisp. It's just the dialogue.

I'm watching Edge of Righteousness right now. The DVD transfer is decent, but nothing to rave about it. It looks really bright. I have a feeling that all of the 90s shows will have this look. The show itself is pretty good. Just finished half of it. I don't remember anything, so it's like watching a new show.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

With China's XIN SHANGHAI TAN renewing interest in its famous predecessor, TVB must, I urge, release THE BUND (1980) to DVD as soon as possible. It's imperative.

They've got to strike while the iron is hot.

Yea, that is true Ken!!! I wonder if they will?? I think if they are smart they would since the VCDs were heavily cut from what I heard...

By the way, what is the latest release on DVD?? I haven't been updated lately..
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Yea, that is true Ken!!! I wonder if they will?? I think if they are smart they would since the VCDs were heavily cut from what I heard...

By the way, what is the latest release on DVD?? I haven't been updated lately..
    The latest release should be Justice of Life. I will get some pics of my set soon.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Thanks for the info Almo! I wonder when the next ancient classic series will be released???
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Not getting Justice of Life because I just rewatched it not too long ago. Other than Justice of Life, there is the newer stuff like Point of No Return, To Catch the Uncatchable on it's way. Honestly, nothing interests me for the time being, that I mean the new stuff. It's almost like they are releasing a bunch of newer series then 1 or 2 old series every 1-2 months.

I wouldn't buy the newer series not because they are horrible, but I have pretty much seen all of them not too long ago. I just keep my eyes out for the older releases and even some of those old series might not be of much interest.

I just finished watching Edge of Righteousness. Overall I'm very impressed with the series. I thought Alex Man did a superb job playing this psycho. Near the end, they try to portray Alex Man as the villain, but in the end, he was willing to sacrifice his life for justice which was very meaningful. It's been a while where I watched a series where I was so intrigued by the main character. I remember watching this on TV when I was a kid, but I didn't get it. Now that I rewatch it, I get it. His principle was always "I'm a doctor, I don't kill people. I just save them".

Hey Wargods, do you have any news on some of releases coming soon that i should be jacked up about?

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Hey Wargods, do you have any news on some of releases coming soon that i should be jacked up about?
    A Taste of Love (2000/2001) will be released after Point of No Return and To catch the uncatchable. Thats about it. TVB is currently producing those entertainment shows lately, like On the Road II, Be my guest I & II and Secrets of Soups. Thats about it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    A Taste of Love (2000/2001) will be released after Point of No Return and To catch the uncatchable. Thats about it. TVB is currently producing those entertainment shows lately, like On the Road II, Be my guest I & II and Secrets of Soups. Thats about it for now.
    Thanks for the update. I won't be picking up those titles. I guess Justice of Life will be last purchase for the next little while. I finished one episode and it's pretty darn good. I never use to be a Alex Man fan, but he's really growing on me.

Thanks for the update. I won't be picking up those titles. I guess Justice of Life will be last purchase for the next little while. I finished one episode and it's pretty darn good. I never use to be a Alex Man fan, but he's really growing on me.

I like him in Tai Chi Master and Return of Luk Siu Fung.

Young Heroes of Shaolin is coming out! Here's the link:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1005031395/

This will for sure be in my collection. Been waiting for ages to see this show.

Young Heroes of Shaolin is coming out! Here's the link:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1005031395/

This will for sure be in my collection. Been waiting for ages to see this show.
    It was quite a popular series back in the day...showcased up-and-coming stars such as Felix Wong and Michael Miu *before* they became TVB legends.

Still, I'm finding TVB's release pattern for old series utterly bizarre. They're ignoring some of the obvious big ticket classics. Maybe they're building towards something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It was quite a popular series back in the day...showcased up-and-coming stars such as Felix Wong and Michael Miu *before* they became TVB legends.

Still, I'm finding TVB's release pattern for old series utterly bizarre. They're ignoring some of the obvious big ticket classics. Maybe they're building towards something?
    It seems like TVB was trying to promote Tung Wei in the early 80s, but didn't see more of him later. What happened? Didn't look like he became a big star.

I'm jacked up to see Tung Wei's fight scenes. Michael Miu has always performed well in fight scenes for a non martial artist. I was always impressed with Wong Hung Sau's fights for a female. She's also an eye candy

As far as I know, Tung Wei is now a director and works behind the scenes. I heard Sharen Yeung also works behind the scenes. Did you guys see Tung Wei and Miu perform some stunts on one of the TVB anniversary shows?? very nice!! I wonder if they will ever release bloopers, deleted footage and anniversary shows on DVD?? Those would really cool to watch!!

Glad to know that Young Heroes from Shaolin is finally coming out... I can't believe that one took this long to release. Yea, what is up with their releasing schedule??It is so wierd.

I wonder when they ever will be releasing Fei Ying on DVD? I just saw some of it on VCD and am sooo mad about all of the scenes that they cut....

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    As far as I know, Tung Wei is now a director and works behind the scenes. I heard Sharen Yeung also works behind the scenes. Did you guys see Tung Wei and Miu perform some stunts on one of the TVB anniversary shows?? very nice!! I wonder if they will ever release bloopers, deleted footage and anniversary shows on DVD?? Those would really cool to watch!!

Glad to know that Young Heroes from Shaolin is finally coming out... I can't believe that one took this long to release. Yea, what is up with their releasing schedule??It is so wierd.

I wonder when they ever will be releasing Fei Ying on DVD? I just saw some of it on VCD and am sooo mad about all of the scenes that they cut....
    Yeah Tung Wei has been behind the scenes for many years now. He does a lot of action choreography. I was just wondering why he never became a bigger start as an actor in the mid to late 80s. I would love to see some old TVB stuff on DVD.

haha it's not unusual for VCD's to cut. I stopped watching them since DVD's were released. What happened to the Jin Yong collection? I still want to add Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain and Smiling Proud Wanderer to my collection.

It seems like TVB was trying to promote Tung Wei in the early 80s, but didn't see more of him later. What happened? Didn't look like he became a big star.
    In additional to his martial arts prowess, Tung Wai was also a decent actor. He could handle the dramatic work as well as the martial arts work. I think TVB was grooming him to be their new Wong Yeun Sun (i.e. the actor who portrayed Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Ah Fei during the 1970s).

He was quite popular with audiences in the early to mid-1980s, then...whoosh! He just sort of vanished from the scene. As said, he's still active behind the scenes, but it's amazing how quickly he vanished from the limelight. He's kind of a forgotten man in HK entertainment these days.