Page 48 of 99 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by sfccrx View Post
    Here's another goodie coming out on September 28

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1005031395/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i3.yesasia.com/assets/95/313/l_p1005031395.jpg')
    This is the link for The Young Heroes of Shaolin which almo posted on the previous page. Maybe what you meant was the following:

鑽石王老五 (1986) A Taste of Bachelorhood
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004963599/

I think TVB is lacking too many things these days that I just cannot pin point exactly what it is... I just know that they are going to be losing more and losing viewers and fans if they continue on like how they currently are... So sad but true...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    鑽石王老五 (1986) A Taste of Bachelorhood
    http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004963599/
    I remember this series, and like I said, even back in the 1980s, TVB made a whole bunch of mediocre stuff (except back then, it was balanced out by lots of great stuff). This is one of those mediocre efforts.

For goodness sakes, A TASTE OF BACHELORHOOD is coming out on DVD now and TVB *still* can't get around to putting out THE BUND? Something stinks here...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I think TVB is lacking too many things these days that I just cannot pin point exactly what it is... I just know that they are going to be losing more and losing viewers and fans if they continue on like how they currently are... So sad but true...
    TVB is still having 90% of tv viewers in HK. They are not going to change anything until ATV is improving. You cannot blame them, because they are still doing very well on the business side. Nothing will change until they start losing viewers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I remember this series, and like I said, even back in the 1980s, TVB made a whole bunch of mediocre stuff (except back then, it was balanced out by lots of great stuff). This is one of those mediocre efforts.

For goodness sakes, A TASTE OF BACHELORHOOD is coming out on DVD now and TVB *still* can't get around to putting out THE BUND? Something stinks here...
    I have no idea why they decide to release this either....this is just an average series. Why would anyone buy this? I don't get it. The theme song is popular back then, but that's it.

As for the Bund, I think it is because TVB doesn't want to piss off the customers who bought the VCD version. Or perhaps they are still spending time on the English subtitle. These are the only excuses I can come up with. I think TVB just doesn't have enough workers that speak English fluently. Just look at all those series for the past few years, tons of series name in English are poorly created, like "To Grow With Love", "At Home with Love". There's just simply no creativity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    As for the Bund, I think it is because TVB doesn't want to piss off the customers who bought the VCD version.
    Actually, they're pissing us off by NOT putting out the DVD. The VCD version had the holy hell edited out of it. We want the DVD because it'll make THE BUND available as it was originally meant to be seen...not that godforsaken act of butchery that was the VCD edit. Ugh!

TVB can be so stoooooopid sometimes!

Or perhaps they are still spending time on the English subtitle.
    If that's the reason, then I'm more willing to be patient. Some of the translations in the 1980s LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS were unintentionally hilarious.

These are the only excuses I can come up with. I think TVB just doesn't have enough workers that speak English fluently. Just look at all those series for the past few years, tons of series name in English are poorly created, like "To Grow With Love", "At Home with Love". There's just simply no creativity at all.
    To be fair, their English titles back in the 1980s were no great shakes either.

They ought to hire me to do the translations/English titles. I'd give them some awesome stuff.

Actually, they're pissing us off by NOT putting out the DVD. The VCD version had the holy hell edited out of it. We want the DVD because it'll make THE BUND available as it was originally meant to be seen...not that godforsaken act of butchery that was the VCD edit. Ugh!

TVB can be so stoooooopid sometimes!

If that's the reason, then I'm more willing to be patient. Some of the translations in the 1980s LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS were unintentionally hilarious.

To be fair, their English titles back in the 1980s were no great shakes either.

They ought to hire me to do the translations/English titles. I'd give them some awesome stuff.
    Yes! Not putting the Bund out on DVD is pissing me off! And it's been like 7 years already. Bund was TVB's first VCD release, so I think it's fair that it gets DVD treatment. Ppl that got the VCD, they can keep that crap if they want or upgrade.

About english subs, I never use them cause it's too hard to understand. Jin Yong shows are the worst for english subs.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I think TVB is just randomly releasing series and not basing on whether the series is popular or not. I am guessing that they just release what they want to release... It does get frustrating that they are releasing these really average series that a majority of people don't care for.... But hey, we can complain all we want since it is not up to us....Hey guys, be patient.. I have a good feeling that the Bund will be one of the next releases... My gut feelings usually come true....

TO Wargods,
    Yea, I guess you are right... WOW, they still have that many viewers in HK?? I guess that is why most of the people in HK don't collect series. They just watch it on TV and that's it... TVB is still a powerhouse in HK and overseas to a lot of viewers I guess. I have to admit that there are still very loyal fans and viewers that refuse to watch anything that is not a TVB production. THey refuse to watch China, Singapore or Taiwanese series and will only watch TVB.

I thought some of the English titles for the TVB series were pretty good back then, but yea... It is true that they weren't directly related to the actual Chinese title though so there were a lot of times I was confused by the English title and which series it belonged to... For example, I liked the English title for Bi Xue Jian back in the 80s which was the Sword Stained with Royal Blood. But the title for the remake was the Crimson Sabre... What the heck??? There wasn't any sabre in Bi Xue Jian!!!!
    Last edited by Trinie; 09-15-07 at 04:25 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Yes! Not putting the Bund out on DVD is pissing me off! And it's been like 7 years already. Bund was TVB's first VCD release, so I think it's fair that it gets DVD treatment.
    I don't get TVB's judgment sometimes.

Here they are: sitting on top of the ONE series that, nearly twenty-eight years on, can still hold its own against anything that China, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, or South Korea has put out during the past three decades. It featured Chow Yun Fat at the absolute peak of his abilities as an actor, and it was so great that to this day, other studios in other parts of Asia are clamoring to *remake* the series.

So what does TVB do? Release forgettable piffle like A TASTE OF BACHELORHOOD.

I don't get TVB's judgment sometimes.

Here they are: sitting on top of the ONE series that, nearly twenty-eight years on, can still hold its own against anything that China, Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, or South Korea has put out during the past three decades. It featured Chow Yun Fat at the absolute peak of his abilities as an actor, and it was so great that to this day, other studios in other parts of Asia are clamoring to *remake* the series.

So what does TVB do? Release forgettable piffle like A TASTE OF BACHELORHOOD.
    I don't get it and it drives me nuts. We can only hope they are in the process of making it a special release in the future.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

You guys need to be patient and just remember, "Good things come to those who wait". If you have all been waiting for 7 years, then waiting a little bit more won't hurt, right??

I don't get it and it drives me nuts. We can only hope they are in the process of making it a special release in the future.
    The only way it's justified is if it includes a separate "Making of" and "Interview" disc featuring interviews with the cast (including Chow Yun Fat, Ray Lui, Angie Chiu, and Lau Dan) and crew (including director Chiu Jen Keung), and lots of commemorative bonuses. Not that it's particularly realistic to expect any such things, of course.

I'll settle for the original series, cleaned up and COMPLETE with no strange edits, at a reasonable price. If they'd like to throw in THE BUND II and THE BUND III as bonuses, I'd welcome those as well.

Ok, I just want to tell you guys that even the Viet version of The Bund has been out, so I am guessing that the Chinese will be out sooner or later since it is a classic series.... You guys don't need to worry... Honestly, I think you would only need to be worried if it is a series that you like and is NOT popular. However, the Bund is a classic series loved by many viewers. Therefore, I don't think TVB is stupid enough to not release it... They can make big bucks with that series...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    Ok, I just want to tell you guys that even the Viet version of The Bund has been out, so I am guessing that the Chinese will be out sooner or later since it is a classic series.... You guys don't need to worry... Honestly, I think you would only need to be worried if it is a series that you like and is NOT popular. However, the Bund is a classic series loved by many viewers. Therefore, I don't think TVB is stupid enough to not release it... They can make big bucks with that series...
    That's true. I mean even average shows are getting released, so it's only a matter of time before the Bund gets a release.

That's true. I mean even average shows are getting released, so it's only a matter of time before the Bund gets a release.
    EXACTLY!! So, remember "Good things come to those who wait". I am almost positive based on what I know about DVD releases that the Bund will get released sooner or later.... Therefore, save your money now...

I won't be surprised if The Bund is released anytime soon. Currently, the Mainland China versions starring Huang Xiao Ming has received good feedbacks and somewhat successful. The new version has been aired and released on DVD so I would imagine TVB re-releasing the original soon for the old audience and new audience who enjoyed the new version and want to see the original. Who knows...

I still have the original on the good old VHS somewhere around the house (some tapes damaged though). Poor picture quality but still watchable so I would get it if its re-released with good treatment. By that, I think some of these TVB series, especially the classics, need to have good features and given the same treatment like DVD movies.... more makings, behind-the-scenes, interviews.. whatever.

At the moment though, I don't like the idea that they are releasing them variety shows/ TVB programs on DVD. Honestly, I can't imagine people buying them, watching them and rewatching them. They should leave out those and pay more attention to series. Otherwise, it would be better to consider some of them old and better shows like 'TVB Anniversary' shows or them 'All Singers TVB anniversary' shows.... oh, and what about TVB Tele-movies? I know them anniversary shows have been released before on VCD but I won't mind tele-movies, I remember there was some decent ones by TVB
    Last edited by Maz999; 09-16-07 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maz999 View Post
    I won't be surprised if The Bund is released anytime soon. Currently, the Mainland China versions starring Huang Xiao Ming has received good feedbacks and somewhat successful. The new version has been aired and released on DVD so I would imagine TVB re-releasing the original soon for the old audience and new audience who enjoyed the new version and want to see the original. Who knows...
    They need to capitalize on this while XIN SHANGHAI TAN has made the original BUND hot again. They shouldn't let this opportunity slip away.

Here's my personal wishlist for TVB DVD releases.

1. THE BUND TRILOGY (yes, the two sequels as well).

2. THE SHELL GAME I & II

3. THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (MAN IN THE NET)

4. THE FATAL IRONY

5. LUK SIU FUNG I, II, III (they can throw in the 1980s Alex Man series as a bonus, I suppose).

6. THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER)

7. THE BROTHERS

They need to capitalize on this while XIN SHANGHAI TAN has made the original BUND hot again. They shouldn't let this opportunity slip away.

Here's my personal wishlist for TVB DVD releases.

1. THE BUND TRILOGY (yes, the two sequels as well).

2. THE SHELL GAME I & II

3. THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY (MAN IN THE NET)

4. THE FATAL IRONY

5. LUK SIU FUNG I, II, III (they can throw in the 1980s Alex Man series as a bonus, I suppose).

6. THE ROMANTIC SWORDSMAN (LITTLE LEE'S FLYING DAGGER)

7. THE BROTHERS
    That's my wish list right there, but I'm not sure what Fatal Irony is and I don't think I would get Siu Lay Fei Do. Although it would be nice for TVB to start a Gu Long set starting with Luk Siu Fung.

That's my wish list right there, but I'm not sure what Fatal Irony is.
    A very early TVB series (dates to 1974)...the first one I ever watched. Lee See Kei starred in this one. This was the first TVB series to ever have its own Cantonese theme tune (Joseph Koo).

I would never get Xiao Li Fei Dao from TVB.. Gosh I hate that 70s adaption(no offense to the fans of it).The 90s version was even worse. I like more of the ancient series from the 80s. Some of the ones from the 70s that I do like are Book and Sword and The God of Sabre..
    Last edited by Trinie; 09-22-07 at 05:08 AM.