Page 63 of 99 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1978

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Yeah the whole grainy look really added some good feel to it. It's something that only works in those old shows.
    TVB should try doing a current series on 16mm film just to see what the audience response would be.

If they remastered the 16mm stuff, we'll see more orange juice than ever
    I don't know. Is it even possible to remaster 16mm film? I imagine what we would get would be...enhanced graininess.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    first Blu-ray DVD set perhaps?!? heh
    Don't get excited, I'm just speculating.
    Blu-rays are usually widescreen, hence the 1080p(1920 x 1080) resolution. To make it like a true Blu-ray transfer, the top and bottom would have to be cut off, meaning that you are missing more than before. Might as well just have the DVD remastered and watch it upscaled so you don't miss a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    TVB should try doing a current series on 16mm film just to see what the audience response would be.

I don't know. Is it even possible to remaster 16mm film? I imagine what we would get would be...enhanced graininess.

Yes it's possible to remaster 16mm. 16mm is still film and would actually look pretty good if they digitally remastered it. Not sure if TVB still has the original film though because most of that stuff is already transferred to video.

Blu-rays are usually widescreen, hence the 1080p(1920 x 1080) resolution. To make it like a true Blu-ray transfer, the top and bottom would have to be cut off, meaning that you are missing more than before. Might as well just have the DVD remastered and watch it upscaled so you don't miss a thing.
    Not really. Nothing has to be cropped. Blu Ray's can handle 4:3 stuff. You'll see black bars on the side which is fine as long as I don't lost any footage and the original aspect ration is kept.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Yes it's possible to remaster 16mm. 16mm is still film and would actually look pretty good if they digitally remastered it. Not sure if TVB still has the original film though because most of that stuff is already transferred to video.

Not really. Nothing has to be cropped. Blu Ray's can handle 4:3 stuff. You'll see black bars on the side which is fine as long as I don't lost any footage and the original aspect ration is kept.
    I know Blu-Ray can handle it but I'm just judging from certain releases that were originally in 4:3 and were cropped to 16:9 for HD releases(Star Trek on HD-DVD and Dragon Ball Z movies on Blu-Ray). TVB could just release it in 4:3 if they ever go Blu-Ray, just that I don't think they would want to advertise 1920 x 1080 resolution on the back case.

I have this show on VHS & just recently purchased the dvd.

I love this show.

Smile Chor Lau Heung 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Boshox View Post
    I have this show on VHS & just recently purchased the dvd.

I love this show.
    Hi Boshox. Do you have the complete 65 episodes (45 minutes per episode) for this series by Adam Cheng?

As for the DVD, as far as I know, the complete uncut version has not been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kris2099 View Post
    Hi Boshox. Do you have the complete 65 episodes (45 minutes per episode) for this series by Adam Cheng?

As for the DVD, as far as I know, the complete uncut version has not been released yet.
    Hi. Yes I have the Adam Cheng one & the Michael Mui one both on dvd.

I found a store just an hour away from me that has a bunch of old classic shows on dvd.

Hi. Yes I have the Adam Cheng one & the Michael Mui one both on dvd.

I found a store just an hour away from me that has a bunch of old classic shows on dvd.
    Hi Boshox. Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering for Adam Cheng's Chor Lau Heung (1979 TVB production), are they 45 minutes per episode (uncut version with theme song at the start and credits at the end of each episode) or is it about 30-33 minutes per episode? And how many episodes are there?

Whereabouts are you? US/Canada/HK/Taiwan/Singapore/Malaysia?

Hi Boshox. Thanks for the reply.

I am wondering for Adam Cheng's Chor Lau Heung (1979 TVB production), are they 45 minutes per episode (uncut version with theme song at the start and credits at the end of each episode) or is it about 30-33 minutes per episode? And how many episodes are there?

Whereabouts are you? US/Canada/HK/Taiwan/Singapore/Malaysia?
    The version I have has 30 episodes & they're each about 71 minutes per episode. Only the 1st & last episode has the theme song & credits.

I'm from Canada.

Moonlight Resonance = first 16:9 TVB DVD release
    Last edited by wargods; 08-30-08 at 12:40 PM.

Moonlight Resonance DVD = first 16:9 tvb dvd release
    woohoo! It's gonna look great for sure. I don't know why some korean dramas that TVB released were only letterboxed and not 16:9

Oh I just finished Greed of Man. After watching in its entirety for the first time, I would have to put this up there as one of the greatest TVB shows ever. Almost every episode I would go like "TVB would never do this today". All lot of controversial stuff in here. The show was dark, gritty and realistic. There was violence and vulgar language that would not be accepted today in HK TV. I won't spoil any of the classic scenes for those who haven't seen it, but yeah go see it. Highly recommended.

The DVD transfer was excellent. I don't think I have seen a better transfer for a 90s TVB show. Black levels were great. It definitely added to atmosphere.

The box and box art was really well done. Way better than the VCD set. They used the same style box they used for the HK releases of the Jin Yong series.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

woohoo! It's gonna look great for sure. I don't know why some korean dramas that TVB released were only letterboxed and not 16:9

Oh I just finished Greed of Man. After watching in its entirety for the first time, I would have to put this up there as one of the greatest TVB shows ever. Almost every episode I would go like "TVB would never do this today". All lot of controversial stuff in here. The show was dark, gritty and realistic. There was violence and vulgar language that would not be accepted today in HK TV. I won't spoil any of the classic scenes for those who haven't seen it, but yeah go see it. Highly recommended.

The DVD transfer was excellent. I don't think I have seen a better transfer for a 90s TVB show. Black levels were great. It definitely added to atmosphere.

The box and box art was really well done. Way better than the VCD set. They used the same style box they used for the HK releases of the Jin Yong series.
    I heard some violent scenes from EP1 were cutted. They were shown in HK when it was first aired in 1992. TVB never showed those scenes again when the drama was replayed.

I heard some violent scenes from EP1 were cutted. They were shown in HK when it was first aired in 1992. TVB never showed those scenes again when the drama was replayed.
    Serious? Since it's a DVD release, they shouldn't have to worry about censors and all that. Any idea what exactly they cut out?

Serious? Since it's a DVD release, they shouldn't have to worry about censors and all that. Any idea what exactly they cut out?
    I have no idea, but I think TVB needs to pass the restrictions so it can sell the identical release through all countries. (I'm really not sure if it is available in China)

As I said before, TVB's xinghe satellite version of "The Grand Canal" is only 58eps long. Thus, the DVD set is also 58eps long (instead of original version's 60eps). Xinghe is only available in China, Australia and other Asian countries.
    Last edited by wargods; 08-30-08 at 01:25 PM.

I have no idea, but I think TVB needs to pass the restrictions so it can sell the identical release through all countries. (I'm really not sure if it is available in China)

As I said before, TVB's xinghe satellite version of "The Grand Canal" is only 58eps long. Thus, the DVD set is also 58eps long (instead of original version's 60eps). Xinghe is only available in China, Australia and other Asian countries.
    Yeah that makes sense. Still sux though

The version I have has 30 episodes & they're each about 71 minutes per episode. Only the 1st & last episode has the theme song & credits.

I'm from Canada.
    Hi Boshox. The DVD version you have is the cut version. I have the VCD version of it and it also has 30 episodes. So they must have done a direct transfer from VCD to DVD.

What about your videotapes of Chor Lau Heung 1979? Are they 65 episodes (45 minutes per episode)?

Hi Boshox. The DVD version you have is the cut version. I have the VCD version of it and it also has 30 episodes. So they must have done a direct transfer from VCD to DVD.

What about your videotapes of Chor Lau Heung 1979? Are they 65 episodes (45 minutes per episode)?
    I don't have the 1979 version on VHS. I have the 1984 one on VHS though. The one with Michael Miu.

this is probably my favorite series with miu kiu wai in it...he was simply charming and magnetic in every single way possible. i also thought simon yam was very charismatic in his own ways...what a great villain he turned out to be. and who can forget barbara yung as the spoiled but lovable and kind hearted princess? what a fantastic cast...i've seen it so many times already and still love it to this day.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    this is probably my favorite series with miu kiu wai in it...he was simply charming and magnetic in every single way possible. i also thought simon yam was very charismatic in his own ways...what a great villain he turned out to be. and who can forget barbara yung as the spoiled but lovable and kind hearted princess? what a fantastic cast...i've seen it so many times already and still love it to this day.
    It's one of the first tv series I watched. It's so obvious that it's Simon Yam to the viewers, even if he's wearing his veiled mask. But I think duo personality type roles are convincing.

Kwok Fung or what's his name who acts as Barbara's bodyguard, I keep expecting him to be somebody corrupt or evil, but he remains loyal. I guess it comes from him being so crazy in the Fearless Duo series (also with Barbara and MKW).
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Smile Looking Back in Anger DVD

Does anyone know when TVB is releasing "Looking Back In Anger" on DVD -- uncut? If I am not wrong, there are a total of 50 episodes.