Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1978

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

What is going on? TVB releasing 2 80s classics in a row? No way get out of here. Okay these 2 were like the all time classics, but it beats any of the stuff they have been releasing lately. And ken is right, even if the show was crap, the themesong saves it . ie Smiling Proud Wanderer even though i thought the series was very watchable.

Oh and I'm slowly watching Wild Bunch, but had to stop for some Saved by the Bell. Wild Bunch has to be one of the poor video quality releases in quite some time. Night shots are barely visible and outdoor shots are very soft. The indoor shots are okay, but still doesn't look right.
    Last edited by almo89; 03-13-09 at 12:13 PM.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    I am guessing the version you saw is viet dub?
    If yes, then it might have to do with the fact that few scenes were cutted, and poor translation.
    No, I saw the Chinese AND Viet dubbed version. I don't remember any scenes being cut in the Viet version though. The Viet versions should not have any scenes cut at all.In fact the Viet versions came out on DVD UNCUT before the Chinese versions came out. But it has been many years since I have seen that series so I may not remember everything. The translation was actually ok but off at times in the Viet version. I always watch both to see how accurate the translations are. And no I still don't really like the series even after seeing the Chinese and Viet versions. THe series itself just isn't good to me. It is not bad either, but just average. However, it seems to get a lot of attention because Barbara is it in and she has passed away. Therefore, every series that she is in seems to be considered classic and good even though some of them aren't so great.
    Last edited by Trinie; 03-13-09 at 02:54 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Well, I think having Fearless Duo and Yang's Saga is definitely good news. Both of these titles were previously done on VCD, as I recall, so this tells me that at least TVB is interested in getting some older classics re-issued in the DVD format (more than just the Jin Yong stuff). Hopefully they'll do it right... as in the full uncut series in their regular episode format. I'm having my fingers crossed that they'll do The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung. I soooooooooo want that out on DVD.

To be really pedantic, the episodes technically aren't 100% uncut as the break bumpers are edited out .

But its great to see them coming out on DVD format where the improvement in picture quality should be a big one over the VCD's

Quote Originally Posted by MLAM168 View Post
    To be really pedantic, the episodes technically aren't 100% uncut as the break bumpers are edited out .
    LOL u are right about that. There is usually one break bumper near the middle of each episode though. All the other ones are edited out. They should have kept it for the 80s shows cause it's really awkward when they edit them out.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    LOL u are right about that. There is usually one break bumper near the middle of each episode though. All the other ones are edited out. They should have kept it for the 80s shows cause it's really awkward when they edit them out.
    Absolutely,

I've been watching "The Lonely Hunter" so far and on the whole, the missing break bumpers aren't that obvious but there is one in Episode 7 where it was a bit rough in terms of the editing for it and made it stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Oh and I'm slowly watching Wild Bunch, but had to stop for some Saved by the Bell. Wild Bunch has to be one of the poor video quality releases in quite some time. Night shots are barely visible and outdoor shots are very soft. The indoor shots are okay, but still doesn't look right.
    Sounds like TVB didn't do any remastering for that series, or the tapes they sourced for this series were in poor shape.

Or it could be simply, it was shot and the director didn't notice the pickup of lighting on the camera's is poor, but by then it was too late to re-shoot. Could also be a case of cheap grade tapes aswell perhaps.

Sounds like TVB didn't do any remastering for that series, or the tapes they sourced for this series were in poor shape.

Or it could be simply, it was shot and the director didn't notice the pickup of lighting on the camera's is poor, but by then it was too late to re-shoot. Could also be a case of cheap grade tapes aswell perhaps.
    It could have been a combination. I believe that the original master tapes were probably in poor condition and not much remastering could have been done.

The Good, the bad and the ugly on DVD? http://www.fivestarlaser.com/movies/19515.html

I guess this is the Tai Seng release as previewed on the Bund dvds, but strange that it states it's only 46 episodes. Thought this was an 80 episode series..

Quote Originally Posted by NetDragon View Post
    The Good, the bad and the ugly on DVD? http://www.fivestarlaser.com/movies/19515.html

I guess this is the Tai Seng release as previewed on the Bund dvds, but strange that it states it's only 46 episodes. Thought this was an 80 episode series..
    The Optimist says: maybe this is just Vol. 1 of a two-volume set, with the second volume to follow in the near future.

The Pessimist says: TVB/Taiseng's editing butchers strike again!

The Realist says: We'll just have to wait and see, although I find myself agreeing with the Pessimist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The Optimist says: maybe this is just Vol. 1 of a two-volume set, with the second volume to follow in the near future.

The Pessimist says: TVB/Taiseng's editing butchers strike again!

The Realist says: We'll just have to wait and see, although I find myself agreeing with the Pessimist.
    Hehe, I do want to fall against the optimist view though. Was this series originally divided into 2 parts when broadcasted? Actually on the preview of The Bund dvds, the Man in the net title has another under-title, maybe indicating it's part I. Strange that Taiseng divides it in 2 volumes though, when they released all 3 Bunds in one set...aiyaya...sick people I'd say :P

Edit: Oh sorry for spamming, I see now that this has been discussed a few pages ago hehe. Darn to hear that a 46 episode version has been broadcasted...less chance that this is the uncut version. When you add it up, the running quite seems equal to the 30 vcd set that tvb released some years ago...
    Last edited by NetDragon; 03-15-09 at 06:40 PM.

HWas this series originally divided into 2 parts when broadcasted?
    Nope. It was a straight, 80-episode series broadcast under a single title (no sub-title) for sixteen weeks from August, 1979 to January, 1980.

Actually on the preview of The Bund dvds, the Man in the net title has another under-title, maybe indicating it's part I.
    The inclusion of that sub-title is what causes me to believe that there should be a second volume. Otherwise, why bother?

Edit: Oh sorry for spamming, I see now that this has been discussed a few pages ago hehe. Darn to hear that a 46 episode version has been broadcasted...less chance that this is the uncut version. When you add it up, the running quite seems equal to the 30 vcd set that tvb released some years ago...
    This is what bothers me. If they're just going to serve up the butchered VCD version again, then why bother? It's not like they've beautifully remastered the DVD for far superior picture quality. There would be effectively no difference between the VCD and the DVD.

God, tell me Taiseng isn't that stupid...or thinks that *we're* that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    This is what bothers me. If they're just going to serve up the butchered VCD version again, then why bother? It's not like they've beautifully remastered the DVD for far superior picture quality. There would be effectively no difference between the VCD and the DVD.
    Wow, I really wondered what TVB did cut from the original version to fit on those 30 vcds that were each about 65 minutes. This means over 1500 minutes (more than 30 episodes?) were cut out, that is, if taken in consideration that each episode is 45 minutes, including opening and ending credits. The vcd set I watched, seemed so complete. Wondered how the heck they could butcher so much, and still the storyline was in flow. Because as I remembered, there was no noticeable glitch and discontinuity in the plotline when I watched it....waah...dangerous, vicious and intelligent series butcherer...:P

Wow, I really wondered what TVB did cut from the original version to fit on those 30 vcds that were each about 65 minutes. This means over 1500 minutes (more than 30 episodes?) were cut out, that is, if taken in consideration that each episode is 45 minutes, including opening and ending credits. The vcd set I watched, seemed so complete. Wondered how the heck they could butcher so much, and still the storyline was in flow. Because as I remembered, there was no noticeable glitch and discontinuity in the plotline when I watched it....waah...dangerous, vicious and intelligent series butcherer...:P
    TGTBaTU was a series that like THE BUND, constructed its scenes and characters with very meticulous attention to detail. Taiseng could conceivably cut away all that material and still preserve the plot, but the depth of the series (and its artistic integrity) will definitely be severely affected.

That's the problem with Taiseng: they wouldn't know art if it hit them between the eyes.

Raise the hands those who will buy TGTBaTU dvd set, watch it and tell us if it is cut or not, because it sure hell ain't gonna be me :P Unless they suddenly confirm it is only vol.1..then maybe hehe. It is out now though...buy..buy...suckers...hehe..just kidding..

Raise the hands those who will buy TGTBaTU dvd set, watch it and tell us if it is cut or not, because it sure hell ain't gonna be me :P Unless they suddenly confirm it is only vol.1..then maybe hehe. It is out now though...buy..buy...suckers...hehe..just kidding..
    I'll buy it out of A). morbid curiosity, B). a reasonable retail price (all things considered), and C). this might be the only chance to own this series in ANY form, but my expectations are set extremely low.

I definitely would not buy it to just to satisfy a curiosity. The way it is described, and even the thumbnail picture available on some sites (such as yesasia) for the DVD product suggests that this is simply the VCD version transferred to a DVD medium- without remastering. Of course, there is a really small chance that the websites have been too lazy to actually picture the "real" thing and just used the VCD thumbnail and description.... but this hasn't happened in the past so I'm going to guess I'm almost 100% sure that this isn't the complete thing we've all been hoping for. The next time I'm out near Chinatown, I'll go check out a store to see for myself.

What a shame, really. And you know what.... they know some people out there (the lay public) will be ignorant enough to buy it to watch. I know plenty of relatives who probably wouldn't care if they got the whole thing or not, as long as it plays in their DVD player.

Hands up to those who is going to buy "The Shell Game I and II" here on the newly released Tai Seng DVD's?

Hands up to those who is going to buy "The Shell Game I and II" here on the newly released Tai Seng DVD's?
    I am really considering this one, but have to say that I hate the ending of Shell Game I. Part II is better, but I wonder if the vcd set that tvb released a few years ago is really that cut. It was 13 vcds, and they even kept the musical scenes in between the episodes. Anyone know if anything significant was cut from part II? Part I was butchered on the vcds, but I dont really care :P

From what I have seen from Taiseng, they don't ever really edit anything major out. IF they do, it is mostly those previews which I don't think is a big deal at all. FOr the most part, Taiseng is pretty good about the editiing stuff...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.