Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Update on the ROCH DVDs!! Ok, I just found out that the ROCH DVD set is UNCUT!!! It has 12 DVDs, but the last 2 DVDs have 5 eps on each disc and the picture quality is VERY clear!!!!! Therefore, all 50 eps are included. There is also the making(which I have seen before)and a gift of 3 bookmarks. YOu can see the pix of these bookmarks and of the box at:

http://cylo.erinle.com/news/2006/0209.htm

I wish I had the money to buy it now....But sadly I need money for other purposes. Anyway, whoever is buying it, ENJOY!!!!
    ROCH only has 42 episodes. I think 10 disks is correct with the last 2 disks having 5 episodes, making the total of 42.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Yea, I am sure that it is 50 eps and UNCUT. Also, there are 12DVDS, NOT 10DVDS as previously stated.I am sure because my friend has the set. Every disc has 4 eps, while the last 2 discs have 5 eps for a total of 50 eps. EVERY bit is in there. MY friend and I were just watching the last disc yesterday to make sure that the ending and everything was in there and it was!! The making is also included in the first disc, but it is the same one as the as the one that was on the VCD so it is nothing new. Also, some of theDVD releases for this year will be:
    Duke of Mount Deer(may also have English subtitles)
    Tai Ping Tian Guo
    Tian Long Bat Bu(may also have English subtitles)
    Square Pegs(newer TVB series)
    -Love is Beautiful
    and some others.

LOCH will not be out this year yet. I think it will come out next year.... Even though the Grand Canal is cut, that does not mean that ROCH and other releases are or will be cut. I know for sure that ROCH isn't though(or at least almost sure since I haven't watched the whole thing from beginning to end yet, but just looking at the number of eps and the menus, you can be pretty sure that it is uncut)... The subtitles are also pretty good and the quality is EXCELLENT!! IT is as good as it gets!!!
    Last edited by Trinie; 02-20-06 at 05:48 PM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by GooGoo
    I just got the TVB Grand Canal on dvd thinking it would be uncut. Not the case. For some reason the last scene of the end was cut! The ended it 1-2 mins short. I assume they're might by other missing scenes since there were some weird transitions on the dvds. Don't understand why they did that to the ending but it really makes me wary on getting the ROCH dvds cause the description on yesasia saids MOST of the deleted scenes from the vcds will be on the dvd set...not all! Hope to get a review by someone who bought it before I get it cause I don't trust yesasia.
    I got Grand Canal too. I saw the weird transitions too. Like instead of using the original mono for the opening theme they used stereo so that's why the transition at the end of each song is kinda weird since they go back to mono when they show starts. Kinda stupid i think. They should just use original titles and mono for everything since that was the way it was.

Racing Peak didn't have these weird cuts as everything seemed to be in tact.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I know some sites where you can get Tvb series dvds ^_^ it says it's authentic,from HK .I can't afford it so not even gonna ask them hehehe....

www.VnnMall.com and Saigoncd.com

If you're rich enough,knock yourself out...hehehe....
    "ONE MORE DAY
    ONE MORE TIME
    ONE MORE SUNSET,MAYBE I'D BE SATISFIED
    BUT THEN AGAIN
    I KNOW WHAT IT WOULD DO
    LEAVE ME WISHIN STILL,ONE MORE DAY WITH YOU"

Quote Originally Posted by ETERNAL HAPPINESS
    I know some sites where you can get Tvb series dvds ^_^ it says it's authentic,from HK .I can't afford it so not even gonna ask them hehehe....

www.VnnMall.com and Saigoncd.com

If you're rich enough,knock yourself out...hehehe....
    There's no way they're from HK. The authentic TVB DVDs in Viet come from the US, made by Tai Seng and the quality is very subpar to what we usually are familiar with DVD quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Yea, I am sure that it is 50 eps and UNCUT. Also, there are 12DVDS, NOT 10DVDS as previously stated.I am sure because my friend has the set. Every disc has 4 eps, while the last 2 discs have 5 eps for a total of 50 eps. EVERY bit is in there. MY friend and I were just watching the last disc yesterday to make sure that the ending and everything was in there and it was!! The making is also included in the first disc, but it is the same one as the as the one that was on the VCD so it is nothing new. Also, some of theDVD releases for this year will be:
    Duke of Mount Deer(may also have English subtitles)
    Tai Ping Tian Guo
    Tian Long Bat Bu(may also have English subtitles)
    Square Pegs(newer TVB series)
    -Love is Beautiful
    and some others.

LOCH will not be out this year yet. I think it will come out next year.... Even though the Grand Canal is cut, that does not mean that ROCH and other releases are or will be cut. I know for sure that ROCH isn't though(or at least almost sure since I haven't watched the whole thing from beginning to end yet, but just looking at the number of eps and the menus, you can be pretty sure that it is uncut)... The subtitles are also pretty good and the quality is EXCELLENT!! IT is as good as it gets!!!
    I have a friend who bought it and here's what he had to say about the DVD set.

- 4 episodes per disc, with the first having 5 episodes (the extra being The Making of)
    - Total number of discs: 12
    - Audio tracks: Cantonese, Mandarin
    - Subtitles: Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, English
    - The menus are entirely in Chinese
    - White-foreground subtitle text, not very distracting but hard to see in some particular scenes
    - English sub does not sound too ridiculous
    - Colors relatively vivid for something 23 years old (might have been retouched), washed out and/or having a greenish hue at times
    - Encoded relatively well, no visible artifacts in fast-action scenes, but don't sit too close to the TV
    - Some slow-moving scenes are a bit blurred, and background grainy textures visible sometimes
    - Scratches on original 35mm transfer also visible sometimes
    - Worth the money? Yes

Default I'll Bite the Bullet

Thanks for the reviews Trinie & Canuck21! I'll guess I'll pick it up from yesasia then since it's uncut.

It was either the last discs or the first discs that had 5 eps, sorry for the mistake. I thought the quailty is as good as it gets for an Asian made DVD. However, I am easy to please, so I am satistied with the quality. But some of you may not be...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I expect the quality not to be top notch since it's an older tv series. It just makes me mad that even though they can fit 5 episodes onto a disc, they put only 4 & then delete some scenes & make weird cuts instead of keeping the series whole.

Keep up the good work folks. I find this thread really helpful and hope people will confirm if a tvb series is cut or not. Hate to spend 150 bones & find out later it was cut like I did with Grand Canal

I expect the quality not to be top notch since it's an older tv series. It just makes me mad that even though they can fit 5 episodes onto a disc, they put only 4 & then delete some scenes & make weird cuts instead of keeping the series whole.

Keep up the good work folks. I find this thread really helpful and hope people will confirm if a tvb series is cut or not. Hate to spend 150 bones & find out later it was cut like I did with Grand Canal
    Ya Grand Canal didn't really have lots cut out it was just the weird cuts that make me sick. I seriously have this problem with redoing the titles with new fonts and colours. I remember for the Duke of Mount Deer VCD, they totally redid it with animated titles in english and chinese. The original titles were real letters that were blocky and i assume it was made out of plastic or something. Hope somebody knows what im talking about.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    There's no way they're from HK. The authentic TVB DVDs in Viet come from the US, made by Tai Seng and the quality is very subpar to what we usually are familiar with DVD quality.

So is there a place where they sell those online or somethin?....
    "ONE MORE DAY
    ONE MORE TIME
    BUT THEN AGAIN
    I KNOW WHAT IT WOULD DO

Do you mean the DVDs in Chinese or in Viet? IN Chinese you can buy them at www.yesasia.com

for the Viet version you can buy the DVDs at:
    www.go2viet.com
    www.saigoncd.com

The DVDs in Chinese are from Hk while the ones in Viet are made in the US by Taiseng.

To GooGoo,
    You are welcome and I am glad this thread is helpful! Thanks for letting us know about Grand Canal. I am shocked that it is cut on DVD as well. Gosh, I hope all of the later releases will not be. DOMD is one of the next releases that hopefully will not be cut and will have English subtitles.

oh ok...thanx...now I save money for originals ^_^
    "ONE MORE DAY
    ONE MORE TIME
    BUT THEN AGAIN
    I KNOW WHAT IT WOULD DO

I'm extremely tempted by ROCH... but hell, its too expensive for me. I'll just have to pray that after I graduate from high-school, I could do part-times and save the extra for buying it.

Btw.. are they only available online? I don't hope so.. because.. I think offline stuff are cheaper?

Actually, LOCH was listed as one of the next releases, but it may or may not be out this year... LOCH will be even more expensive than ROCH.

Sometimes offline stuff are a lot cheaper. I have listed some sites where you can order the DVDs above.

Anyone saw the China version of the ROCH?

I saw a 17-discs version, list price 280 RMB.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.smallapple.net/reviews/roch1983/roch83_china_dvd-tn.jpg')

Thumbs up Just got ROCH dvds from YesAsia

Just got it in the mail today. I put in the first & last disc just to check them out. My early impressions are positive. Trinie's descriptions of the quality of the dvd set is right on the money. The video quality is 10 times better then my old vcds. From what I could see of the english subtitles, it was alittle off but acceptible in getting the story across. It might bother me if I didn't understand cantonese and had to rely on just the subtitles.

Definitely worth the money if you can afford the 140 bones they charge for it on YesAsia.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Just got it in the mail today. I put in the first & last disc just to check them out. My early impressions are positive. Trinie's descriptions of the quality of the dvd set is right on the money. The video quality is 10 times better then my old vcds. From what I could see of the english subtitles, it was alittle off but acceptible in getting the story across. It might bother me if I didn't understand cantonese and had to rely on just the subtitles.

Definitely worth the money if you can afford the 140 bones they charge for it on YesAsia.

Sounds like you're really satisfied with this YesAsia version of ROCH. I'm still wondering if I should invest my money in it since I have other things I want to use my money on.

Hi GooGoo!
    Glad you got the DVDs. I would get them if I didn't have other stuff that I wanted. I am thinking of getting the China version instead since I heard it is pretty good. Of course the subtitles will be off, but it is better than nothing if you don't understand Mandarin or Cantonese. My friend is currently watching it and is kind of lost since has never seen ROCH before and is relying on the subtitles only.

To TommyH,
    I am in the same dilemna as you are since I have other things I need to use my money on and other things I want. However, if you really can afford it and really want it, then you may get it. But if not, then I think you should use your money for other stuff that you need. This one is worthwhile since it isn't cut and has great quality. In my case, I alraedy have 2 sets of it so I don't want to have another one to carry around....

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Sounds like you're really satisfied with this YesAsia version of ROCH. I'm still wondering if I should invest my money in it since I have other things I want to use my money on.

It will really depend on how much u think it's worth to you. Im a crazy collector for legit DVDs so i rather spend less on other things and save up for movies and tv series