Page 95 of 99 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899 LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1978

Thread: TVB Released VCD/DVD Questions

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Maybe Michael since his sunglasses business didn't do too well from what I heard.
    The sunglasses business was successful for many years, but for some reason (perhaps competition from retailers in the mainland), the business dried up by the early 2000s, which basically forced Michael Miu back into showbiz. He certainly wasn't doing it out of nostalgia or a yen for acting again.

I doubt Felix needs the work. Wasn't he in mainland China doing some stuff? He probably makes more there.
    That was a few years ago; I don't know if he's done any work in the mainland more recently.

Andy Lau at least still makes the odd appearance on TVB programs.
    Which is gracious of him, or maybe his thinking is "a job is a job; it's nothing personal." TVB probably treated Andy Lau the worst of all of its former stars (what it did to him in the mid-80s was pure b.s.), and yet, he's made many guest appearances on TVB programs over the years.

Andy Lau is either a *really* forgiving guy or the ultimate publicity w-h-o-r-e. :P

Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung haven't looked back at all. Johnnie To likes to diss TVB when he has the chance haha, but he knows that it was Wong Tin Lam that gave him a chance and made him the director he is now.
    I know that when Chow Yun Fat is asked about his TVB days, he's gracious towards his former co-stars and the production crew folks (e.g. the rank and file), but when it comes to TVB's bosses...Chow's silence speaks VOLUMES.

TVB is well known for screwing their actors, but a lot of them got their big break because of TVB. It's give or take I guess. Like Gallen Law when he became a big star, came back years later to do a series for TVB again. Sometimes you don't want to burn your bridges unless your a superstar like Chow Yun Fat or Tony Leung
    TVB has been an important stepping stone for many Asian stars who made it big in international media, but I think honestly, all of them would privately admit that the place is a meat grinder for actors.

What did TVB do to Andy Lau back then? To me he seems genuinely a really nice guy. I don't think anybody has ever had something bad to say about this guy. I like how he sorta thinks he's still part of the 5 tigers even though he's moved on to much bigger and better things. You see him make appearances with Michael, Felix and Kent every now and then, but Tony Leung who is more of a private guy prefers to stay away.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

What did TVB do to Andy Lau back then? To me he seems genuinely a really nice guy. I don't think anybody has ever had something bad to say about this guy. I like how he sorta thinks he's still part of the 5 tigers even though he's moved on to much bigger and better things. You see him make appearances with Michael, Felix and Kent every now and then, but Tony Leung who is more of a private guy prefers to stay away.
    When Lau's contract with TVB came up for renegotiation around 1986 or so, TVB wanted to bind him to an exclusive five year contract that would preclude him from doing any other projects. Since he was beginning to get pitched movie roles during this time, Lau naturally didn't want to hogtie his career to TVB, and refused to sign the contract under those terms. TVB responded by blacklisting him.

I think that was a b.s. move by TVB. If I were in Andy Lau's position, I would have refused to have anything to do with them after they pulled crap like that. It's not like Lau *needed* TVB after his film and music career took off in the late 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    When Lau's contract with TVB came up for renegotiation around 1986 or so, TVB wanted to bind him to an exclusive five year contract that would preclude him from doing any other projects. Since he was beginning to get pitched movie roles during this time, Lau naturally didn't want to hogtie his career to TVB, and refused to sign the contract under those terms. TVB responded by blacklisting him.

I think that was a b.s. move by TVB. If I were in Andy Lau's position, I would have refused to have anything to do with them after they pulled crap like that. It's not like Lau *needed* TVB after his film and music career took off in the late 80s.
    Man that's brutal. I'm surprised that he still continued to show up on their programs over the years. I would told TVB to F off.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Man that's brutal. I'm surprised that he still continued to show up on their programs over the years. I would told TVB to F off.
    When they're being candid, most TVB actors will tell you that working for TVB is more like indentured servitude than the glamour of showbiz.

haha they aren't even releasing their new shows on DVD, I doubt they will release anything on blu ray. It would be a treat though that's for sure. I just want to see some classic shows like Police Cadet, Shell Game, The Bund and all of those released uncut.

I'm not sure what's really going on with TVB because for a while they were releasing current shows on DVD, but it looks like they stopped that too. I wonder if Wargods has any inside info on this.
    Sorry...no news man.....I don't know what to say.......

For recent DVD releases, see:
    http://b.tvb.com/tvbi/category/dvd-vcd/

I'll wait for you review for New Adventures if you do plan on getting it
    Got it today! Shipped pretty quickly, considering it came all the way from Hong Kong to me in San Francisco (took about 7-8 days). Popped it into my Playstation 3 and did a quick evaluation of it on my 46" Samsung LED-TV.
    It's packaged in a standard multi-disc case that (not like the first batch of releases that came also with a sturdy box that wrapped around the DVD case).
    There are 8 DVD-9s, so 5 episodes per DVD. The bitrate (I used my Playstation3, and that shows the bitrate) seems pretty good, varying between 4-7Mbps depending on the scene. The picture quality is quite clean and vibrant for a 1984 series, and the sound quality is sufficient too. Basically, it LOOKS like DVD quality for an old series (not a shoddy, pixelated transfer, but it does understandably have some slight grain and small discolorations from time to time).... I think it looks great quality-wise, and is probably as good as we're going to get for this.

The bad: yes, it's not a perfect release. My main gripe is the beginning title song sequence, and the end-of-episode credits and song are edited out from MOST of the episodes. On each DVD, the first episode has the title song sequence included, and the last episode has the end credits included, but all the other episodes in between have them eliminated, and those episodes just fade into each other. It's kind of knit-picking I guess, but I'm a completist and I like to have the WHOLE thing untouched, with all the songs and titles included. As it is for this set, you get the beginning titles only for episodes 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, 36, and you get the end credits and sub-theme song only for episodes 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40. I hope that made sense. Kind of pisses me off that I don't get to hear Roman and Lisa's sub-theme songs more often at the end of each episode. Essentially, each DVD's structure is each episode is a Chapter (5 chapters total), and those 5 chapters / episodes is one continuous Title (around 3h15-20min). As far as I can tell, other than the beginning song and end credits, each episode is uncut.

Overall, I think this is a decent, and probably pretty good release. For me, it's not completely satisfying because of what I mentioned in the above paragraph. But if you're looking to just watch this series in decent quality without any editing that changes the story, this would be the set to pick up.
    Last edited by Alzarius; 07-28-11 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzarius View Post
    Got it today! Shipped pretty quickly, considering it came all the way from Hong Kong to me in San Francisco (took about 7-8 days). Popped it into my Playstation 3 and did a quick evaluation of it on my 46" Samsung LED-TV.
    It's packaged in a standard multi-disc case that (not like the first batch of releases that came also with a sturdy box that wrapped around the DVD case).
    There are 8 DVD-9s, so 5 episodes per DVD. The bitrate (I used my Playstation3, and that shows the bitrate) seems pretty good, varying between 4-7Mbps depending on the scene. The picture quality is quite clean and vibrant for a 1984 series, and the sound quality is sufficient too. Basically, it LOOKS like DVD quality for an old series (not a shoddy, pixelated transfer, but it does understandably have some slight grain and small discolorations from time to time).... I think it looks great quality-wise, and is probably as good as we're going to get for this.

The bad: yes, it's not a perfect release. My main gripe is the beginning title song sequence, and the end-of-episode credits and song are edited out from MOST of the episodes. On each DVD, the first episode has the title song sequence included, and the last episode has the end credits included, but all the other episodes in between have them eliminated, and those episodes just fade into each other. It's kind of knit-picking I guess, but I'm a completist and I like to have the WHOLE thing untouched, with all the songs and titles included. As it is for this set, you get the beginning titles only for episodes 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, 36, and you get the end credits and sub-theme song only for episodes 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40. I hope that made sense. Kind of pisses me off that I don't get to hear Roman and Lisa's sub-theme songs more often at the end of each episode. Essentially, each DVD's structure is each episode is a Chapter (5 chapters total), and those 5 chapters / episodes is one continuous Title (around 3h15-20min). As far as I can tell, other than the beginning song and end credits, each episode is uncut.

Overall, I think this is a decent, and probably pretty good release. For me, it's not completely satisfying because of what I mentioned in the above paragraph. But if you're looking to just watch this series in decent quality without any editing that changes the story, this would be the set to pick up.
    Thumbs down for taiseng, that's why I hate them. The problem is there are no other alternatives.

FYI, I actually checked the whole series to see what songs were played at the end of each epsiode few years back.
    Here are the results:
    theme song: 9,10,12,18,20,24,26-28,32,34,36-39
    sub1 (duet): 1-8,11,13-17,19,21-23,25,29,40
    sub2 (Liza): 30,31,33,35

Heck I'm still waiting for Cold Blood, Warm Heart. It was released in VCD years ago but no DVD. The stores sell it but since it's a 3 vol set, you can only get 1 & 3 but no 2. Same in yes asia. What the heck, don't they produce the same amount of sets? Why is #2 always missing. But yes, if they can get that into DVD I would happy.

Hello TVB

we all are eagerly waiting for following TVB series in HINDI dubbed Language.. DVDs

1) The Blood Stained Intrigue
    2) The Legend of The Condor Heroes
    3) Land of The Condors
    4) The Other Side of The Horizon
    5) The Hunters Prey
    6) Brother Under The Skin
    7) The Zu Mountain Saga

please give Hindi dubbed dvds or start to air this program again in India.
    once a devil always a devil - Zu Mountain Saga

Hi,

Can someone tell me where I can get my hand on File of Jusice 1-5 viet dub? I've looked on yesasia and it seems like they don't have it. Thank you.
    I’m beggin you please, give us one more try
    You know we were so good together
    Girl I need a kiss
    Not a kiss goodbye
    A memory, now and ’til forever

A few months ago Journey to the West part I and II were release on DVD on YesAsia. Now it's out of print. Any idea on when it will be release again or another place I can purchase it?

Default tvb dvd

tvb dvd may be released again as link .
    http://www.malmusic.com/detail.asp?P...=&prev=&lang=E
    When Heaven Burns [Episodes 1-30] -End-

Hello TVB

we all are eagerly waiting for following TVB series in HINDI dubbed Language.. DVDs

1) The Blood Stained Intrigue
    2) The Legend of The Condor Heroes
    3) Land of The Condors
    4) The Other Side of The Horizon
    5) The Hunters Prey
    6) Brother Under The Skin
    7) The Zu Mountain Saga

please give Hindi dubbed dvds or start to air this program again in india

Hi Guys
    just wondering if anyone knows whether 螳螂小子 mantis kid tvb series is available on DVD. any info gratefully received!

Alex

how can i request to TVB for "Hindi" dubbed Dvds?

we are big fans of TVB classic drama series.. from India

a little island east of america and west of europe

Quote Originally Posted by rocky007 View Post
    how can i request to TVB for "Hindi" dubbed Dvds?

we are big fans of TVB classic drama series.. from India
    I don't think TVB will do it themselves as it's a lot of work for them to serve a 'minority' market as their bread and butter is in Hong Kong. You'll have to find a local distributor who will pay for the licence and do the work for you, but from what I know, the licensing agreements don't come cheap!! :P

I just downloaded a DVD ISO (DVD9) of The New Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre ('86) that has Vietnamese, Cantonese and Mandarin audio tracks and also subtitles in traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese and English. It is on 10 discs and each disc has 4 episodes. This is new to me, I was not aware that this DVD boxset existed. Do any of you know where I can buy this boxset and other titles of the same release type? I don't want the crappy DVDs from Tai Seng.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm mainly looking for DVD with Vietnamese dubbing.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-01-12 at 11:38 PM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Em View Post
    I don't think TVB will do it themselves as it's a lot of work for them to serve a 'minority' market as their bread and butter is in Hong Kong. You'll have to find a local distributor who will pay for the licence and do the work for you, but from what I know, the licensing agreements don't come cheap!! :P
    hmmmm local distributor?

rocky i saw some clips of those dramas on youtube and trust me the dubbing is really bad there is no chorus music played in most of the scenes. it really sound funny and awful , better wait for cantonese audio with english subtitle