Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Lu Xiao Feng, Book 3, Before and After the Duel

Are you silly? It'd be great to have more translators, but Moinllieon just updated it a few days ago on Chapter 11

Hm? Well, my point is that, it'll be pointless for me to do it - if he's doing it already. Plus, my work will most likely be slower and lousier than his. And i'm not planning on becoming a translator here. My real day job has more than its share of sickening translating to be done, and i dont want to translate any more than i have to.

(As of right now, my day job requires me to translate a "Wood Construction Training" manual from another asian language into chinese. Something i already feel very bothered by.)

Plus, my chinese reading level is worse than a grade school kid level. Thank god for softwares and dictionaries which helps a lot.

But if Moinllieon decides to give it a rest, the least i could do for paying back is to do my best and translate whatever little is left. (It seems little compared to what he has done, but after looking through at what's left, it's not little at all!!)
    Thanks for "Stellar Transformations" and "A Martial Odyssey" and all the hardwork of all the translators.

Quote Originally Posted by honaidy View Post
    Hm? Well, my point is that, it'll be pointless for me to do it - if he's doing it already. Plus, my work will most likely be slower and lousier than his. And i'm not planning on becoming a translator here. My real day job has more than its share of sickening translating to be done, and i dont want to translate any more than i have to.

(As of right now, my day job requires me to translate a "Wood Construction Training" manual from another asian language into chinese. Something i already feel very bothered by.)

Plus, my chinese reading level is worse than a grade school kid level. Thank god for softwares and dictionaries which helps a lot.

But if Moinllieon decides to give it a rest, the least i could do for paying back is to do my best and translate whatever little is left. (It seems little compared to what he has done, but after looking through at what's left, it's not little at all!!)
    If you hate translating then don't do it. No sense in laboring over something you are bitter about...
    --=={Grundle}==--

just a quick blurb here, for moin. in case you're wondering, there's a lot of people like me that don't often post in the translations threads, but are really cheering on the hard work you translators put in just for us non-chinese readers to be able to enjoy these stories. just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement and let you know that you do really great work, and don't sweat how long it takes.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

Cool

Oh come on! Cheer up this great translator! And pray to the gods that we can finally read the end of this story with such a wonderful guide!

Moinllieon, ra r! One in a million, ra ra ra!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

rarara! hahahaa :P
    Thats the spirit!

Thanks Moinllieon, the translation has been awesome! I love this book.. xiao feng is an awesome character. I have a funny feeling no one really knows how good he is in martial art...

Sorry for taking so long guys, but all the emperor talk in this part took a bit to wrap my fingers around. If all goes according to plan, four more sections to go.

September 15th, late night.

The moon was round like a mirror.

When the young emperor stirred from his dream, the moon was shining directly through his window and onto the jade colored bed curtains.

Under the moonlight, the fluttering bed curtains looked like a cloud or a mist. But within the mist, there seemed to be a shadow of a person.

This was the Forbidden City. The emperor was still young and never needed to be attended to at night. So what kind of a person would dare to spy at the emperor's bedside at this time of the night?

The emperor immediately leapt up. Not only was he able to keep his composure, but his moves were quite agile too.

"Who is there?"

"You humble servant Wang An, here to serve tea for Your Majesty."

The emperor has treated Wang An as a confidant ever since he was a young prince, so while he did not order tea tonight, he did not want to make his loyal servant look back either.

"No need for your services right now, you may leave." He dismissed the servant with a wave of his hand.

"Yes, sire."

Every sentence uttered from the emperor's mouth must be obeyed. If the emperor ordered someone to leave, even if both of his legs were broken, that man would still have to leave, by crawling if necessary.

The strange thing was this time Wang An did not leave. In fact, he did not even budge, as if he did not have any intention to leave.

"You haven't left?" The emperor frowned.

"Your humble servant has something to report."

"Speak."

"Your humble servant would like for Your Majesty to meet someone."

He dared to wake the current Emperor in the middle of the night to meet someone?

Did he forget who he was, that what he has done so far was already punishable by death?

Since becoming an eunuch at 7 and entering the palace at 9, he had always been a quiet and prudent man. Now that he turned 60, why would he suddenly change and do something like this?

Even though his face dropped, the Emperor was still able to remain calm.

"Where is this person?" He finally asked after a long pause.

"Right here." Wang An made a gesture with his hand and 2 lamps outside of the curtains were quickly lit.

Another man appeared along with the lamp light.

A proud and strong young man, wearing a yellow robe.

Even though the lamps were lit, the man still seemed to be standing in a mist.

The Emperor could not see clearly, so he parted the bed curtains aside and walked out. His expression suddenly changed. Changed to one of unspeakable horror.

For standing in front of him was a mirror image of himself - the same build, the same face, and even wearing the same clothes.

"Bright yellow robe, collar and cuffs in black but golden trim, on which sewn 12 silk dragons flying amidst five colored clouds. One each in front and back, one each on either side of waist, one each on the cuffs, one each on the shoulder, and four on the collar. The bottom of the robe opens in the center."

This was the Dragon Robe the Emperor wears to morning court.

There is only one Emperor, the Son of Heaven, Master of Everything and Everyone. Nobody would ever be allowed to passed off as his double.

Who is this young man? How could he have the same face and build as we, the Emperor? What is going on here?

Wang An silent stared at the 2 men in front of him, on his face was an indescribale smirk.

The young Emperor shook his head. Even though even his finger nails have turned cold, he was still able to gather himself.

He had the feeling that beneath Wang An's smile there hid a terrible secret.

"This is a close relation of the Emperor," Wang An patted the young man on the shoulder. "He is the son of the Southern Prince, and is the first cousin of his father's side to His Royal Majesty the Emperor."

{Translator's note: This title actually excludes the Ming dynasty as a possible setting for the Lu Xiao Feng story. Brothers of the Emperor were not given any titles during the Ming dynasty. Meaning the Lu Xiao Feng stories either takes place during the Qing dynasty, or isn't historically accurate.}

The Emperor could not help but give the young man another look up and down.

"Were you summoned to come?"

"No." The son of the Southern Prince's eyes were downcast.

"Do you know the penalty for entering the Forbidden City without summon?"

The son of the Southern Prince's eyes were even more downcast.

"Royal descendants are subject to the same laws and penalties as all royal subjects. Even though we are merciful, we still...."

"Still cannot grant clemency to such a crime." The prince's head suddenly snapped up and stared back at the Emperor.

"Correct."

"If you knew the law, then why did you break it?" The prince demanded.

"You..." The Emperor was angered.

But the prince would not allow the Emperor to finish his sentence.

"Knowing breaking the law makes the act even worse. Even though we are of heart to save you, but the rules our forefathers laid down would not allow it..."

"Who are you?" The Emperor shouted in anger. "How dare you treat us with such disrespect?"

"We are subject to the Mandate of Heaven, named by the past Emperor, none other than Son of Heaven and the Emperor."

By now, the Emperor's fists were clenched tight, but his entire body had turned ice cold.

He had finally realized how terrible of a conspiracy this was, but even now, he was having trouble believing it.

The prince continued: "Manager Wang."

Wang An immediately bowed: "Your servant."

"Take him away and execute him at dawn."

"Yes, sire."

"On the account he shares the blood of our fathers, grant him a complete corpse and then ship him back to the Palace of the Southern Prince."

"Yes, sire."

The prince then shot a look at the Emperor and sighed.

"I really can't understand it, passing up a life of luxury as a little prince and coming to the capital to die. Why?" He mumbled to himself.

The Emperor let out a cold laugh. By now, he had obviously realized the full scope of the conspiracy.

""Royal descendants are subject to the same laws and penalties as all royal subjects," Wang An spoke up. "Since you already know that, what more do you have to say for yourself?"

"Just one sentence."

"Well go ahead, I'm listening."

"Such a preposterous idea, how did you guys come up with it?"

Wang An blinked a couple of times before breaking out in laughter.

"I didn't want to tell you, but I can't keep quiet anymore."

"Go ahead."

"To be honest, this whole thing has been in the plans ever since the old prince visited the capital and I discovered that the young prince looks just like you."

"He bought you?"

"Not only do I live to gamble, I like to visit prostitutes."

When he got to here, that tired and worn face of his suddenly lit up in a proud smile. But then he purposely sighed a bit: "So I have quite alot of expenses and is always looking for an avenue to make money."

"You have quite a lot of guts too."

"No, almost none at all. If something wasn't a sure thing, I would never do it."

"And this is a sure thing?"

"I was originally very worried about Wei Zi Yun and those little rat bastards, but now I've found a way to distract them."

"Oh?"

"If a chess player hears there were two chess masters playing outside in the yard, would he stay inside?"

The answer is obviously no.

"Same with those who studies the sword. If they found out two world famous swordsmen were dueling out front at the Hall of Supreme Harmony, they wouldn't be able to stay inside either."

"Are you talking about Xi Men Chui Xue and Ye Gu Cheng?" The Emperor suddenly asked.

Wang An was quite taken aback by the question: "You know about these two men?"

"With their fame and skills, you can't really blame Wei Zi Yun and rest of them for getting tempted." The Emperor casually observed.

"Everyone is human." Wang An nonchalantly observed.

"Luckily, there are some around us that are almost not human."

Just as he finished the sentence, there was a quick crack on the 4 corner pillars as 4 secret doors slid open and 4 men stepped out.

These 4 men were all not even one meter in height, their face, build, and cloth were all the same.

Especially their faces, the small eyes, big nose, protruding forehead, and shrunken mouth came together to form a rather comical face.

But there was nothing comical about the swords in their hands.

Half a meter long, the reflections of the swords were blinding. Three of them had 2 swords and the fourth with just one sword. The seven swords flickered and filled the room with flashes that made it almost impossible for anyone in the room to see anything.

But even if you were blind, you would still know who these men were - Mount Heaven's Hate, Seven Star Pond, Flying Fish Fort's Yu Brothers.

These four brothers were quadruplets and even though they were not tall, their swords skills were top notch made even more formidable by a seemingly telepathic ability that they share. While it might not be the best 7 seven formation in the world, there were not many in the world who could defeat them when using their family's Flying Fish Seven Star Swords.

Not only were their styles were strange, but their personalities were even weirder. So it was quite a shock that they would actually enter the palace and become the Emperor's personal bodyguards.

The reflections shone onto the Emperor's face.

"Kill!"

The reflections immediately began to move like shooting stars and fell upon the son of the Southern Prince and Wang An.

But Wang An's expression remain unchanged as the young prince calmly waved his hand: "Break."

As soon as he said that, a streak of sword flashed across the room like lightning, but shone like the rainbow.

The flashes intersect and "bang", "bang", "bang", "bang", sparks joined the flashes before everything disappeared into one flash.

Only one singular flash remained, because only one single sword remained in tact.

A long and ancient sword.

Of course, this sword did not belong to the Yu Brothers.

The Yu Brothers' swords were already shattered, and the Yu Brothers themselves have already collapsed onto the floor.

This sword was in the hand of a man dressed in white. Snow white robe, pale white face, ice cold stare. This man's had an aura of pride about him, an aura that was even more suffocating than that of his sword.

This was the Fobidden City, the Emperor was standing in front of him.

Yet it seemed as if even the Emperor was but a spec in his eye.

The Emperor's matched him in calmness.

"Ye Gu Cheng?" He casually observed.

"Didn't expect the Heavens to have heard of such an average citizen from the wilderness like myself."

"Outter Heaven Angel, one strike breaks seven stars, quite a skill."

"Always has been."

"You were a good man, why turn to crime?"

"Those who win are king, those who lose are the thugs."

"Thugs are thugs."

Ye Gu Cheng let out a cold snicker and brought his sword up to his chest.

"En garde."

"En garde?"

"Your Majesty's knowledge and composure already has few equals in the martial world. Your Majesty would undoubtly be amongst the top ten masters if Your Majesty enters the martial world."

The Emperor laughed.

"Good eye."

"Right now, let the king not be king and the thug not be thug, between king and thug, let the stronger be the victor."

"Quite a 'let the stronger be the victor.'"

"My sword is in hand."

"Pity there's a sword in your hand, but none in your heart."

"No sword in heart?"

"The sword is straight, the sword is direct, the sword is strong. How could an evil heart hold a sword?"

The expression on Ye Gu Cheng's face changed a bit.

"In this moment, in this place, the sword in my hand is enough."

"Oh?"

"The sword in hand can injure others, the sword in heart can only hurt yourself."

The Emperor laughed, it was a loud and hearty laugh.

"Draw your sword."

"We have no sword in hand."

"Are you afraid to fight?"

The Emperor smiled: "Our skill is Son of Heaven's Sword, bringing peace to all under Heaven, calming the populous, ensuring good fortunes for one and all, and guaranteeing victories within a thousand miles. Our body is our sword. No blood dared to be spilled within 5 steps of the Son of Heaven."

He paused and stared straight into Ye Gu Cheng's eyes. "You should understand our meaning by now."

The pale white face of Ye Gu Cheng has turned green as his hand clenched his sword tightly.

"Are you not putting up a fight?"

"We are only subject to the Mandate of Heaven, dare you to make a move!"

The veins on Ye Gu Cheng's hand looked like they were about to pop as cold sweat gathered on the tip of his nose.

"With things at this stage, if you don't kill him, he will kill you!" Wang An could not keep quiet any longer and to coax Ye Gu Cheng to make his move.

"Don't worry," the young prince chimed in. "The world famous Master White Cloud Castle will not succumb to the weakness of a woman."

Ye Gu Cheng's face fluctuated between green and white before he finally stumped his feet and shouted: "I've never killed an unarmed man before, but I'll make an exception tonight."

"Why?" The Emperor replied.

"Because even though you have no sword in hand, there is a sword in your heart."

The Emperor did not reply.

"Like I said, the sword in hand can injure others, the sword in heart can only hurt yourself."

The sword in his head took off.

The full moon hung mid sky.

It seemed even rounder than usual.

Within the autumn breeze, the pure fragrance of the sweet olives floated. But carried within the fragrance was a murderous intent.

The wind breezed in through the window, the moonlight shone in through the window. Both wind and moon were cold.

But the sword was even colder.

Once the cold sword was unleashed, red hot blood must surely spill soon after.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

superb translation! Thank you for taking the extra time to make it just right

Now this is getting exciting.

Eh? The Emperor is good enough to be top 10 in wulin?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Very, very, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Eh? The Emperor is good enough to be top 10 in wulin?
    What Ye Gu Cheng said in Chinese was:

以殿下之见识与镇定,武林中以少有人及,殿下若下入江湖,必可名列十大高手之林。
    I read that quote as saying that the Emperor has the talent to be one of the top 10, but necessarily is already that good.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

the emperor did not posses high martial arts but if he had learned martial arts, with his composure, intelligence and ability to grasp events, he could have reached an incredible level.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

let me get this straight, the 4 Yu Brothers are secret guards for the Emperor, not part of the conspiricy?

and good news, today I found in a local market, 2 very worn copies of The Tale of Genji and Hsi Yu Chi english translations. I'm positive they are 1 of the earlier translation works, meaning they have a lot of value.

They are guardians, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    They are guardians, yes.

Also known as first class elite sword fodder.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

It is interesting that Yu Ge Cheng wanted the Emperor to pick up the sword, I wonder if the Emperor really does have some skills in the sword?

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    It is interesting that Yu Ge Cheng wanted the Emperor to pick up the sword, I wonder if the Emperor really does have some skills in the sword?
    Is this question even necessary?

A requirement for any prince or king in those days was that he would be trained/educated in literature, martial arts and other skills (especially during non-chaotic times.)