Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Adventures of Lu Xiao Feng, Book 3, Before and After the Duel

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    Is this question even necessary?

A requirement for any prince or king in those days was that he would be trained/educated in literature, martial arts and other skills (especially during non-chaotic times.)
    MysteriousX, I know what you mean but is it possible that the Emperor's skills is higher than what others think. Is it possible that he could be rate in the top 10. I mean, someone like Yu Ge Cheng won't just kill someone that average skills that can be done by any good martial artist.

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    MysteriousX, I know what you mean but is it possible that the Emperor's skills is higher than what others think. Is it possible that he could be rate in the top 10. I mean, someone like Yu Ge Cheng won't just kill someone that average skills that can be done by any good martial artist.
    I think YGC meant it as (at least) if the Emperor were not the emperor but a member of Wulin, with his intelligence, patience, discipline and other factors he could be within the top 10(%) of skilled martial artists.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Eh? The Emperor is good enough to be top 10 in wulin?
    I have a strong suspicion this "Emperor" is not the emperor after all. Probably LXF in disguise or some such thing. Doesn't sound like the emperor at all and is much to well informed. Next piece of the translation we will probably see him snatch the sword between his fingers.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
    It is by the beans of java that thoughts aquire speed,
    the hands aquire shaking,
    the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenFortunes View Post
    I have a strong suspicion this "Emperor" is not the emperor after all. Probably LXF in disguise or some such thing. Doesn't sound like the emperor at all and is much to well informed. Next piece of the translation we will probably see him snatch the sword between his fingers.

I'm gonna say this, you are absolutely WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenFortunes View Post
    The emperor probably wouldn't snatch the sword with his fingers, so I happen to agree with MysteriouX. But I also have a feeling that this guy is way too cool for an emperor. Unless they are some historical figures, the emperors are portrayed as corrupted and bully his people or just so-so personalities in most of the wuxia novels. Maybe this emperor has some tricks in his sleeves and confident that he can escape from this situation. Or maybe he realizes that he's gonna die so trying to die with dignity in order to save face.

Thanks for update, Moinllieon. Really like this novel. Wonder Yu Ge Cheng and Xi Men Chui Xue will get to have a duel at one point of this story =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracing Traveller View Post
    The emperor probably wouldn't snatch the sword with his fingers, so I happen to agree with MysteriouX. But I also have a feeling that this guy is way too cool for an emperor. Unless they are some historical figures, the emperors are portrayed as corrupted and bully his people or just so-so personalities in most of the wuxia novels. Maybe this emperor has some tricks in his sleeves and confident that he can escape from this situation. Or maybe he realizes that he's gonna die so trying to die with dignity in order to save face.

Thanks for update, Moinllieon. Really like this novel. Wonder Yu Ge Cheng and Xi Men Chui Xue will get to have a duel at one point of this story =)

Another wrong, this emperor is a cool character.

Man this must be a big section in translation since Moinllieon is taking a bit of time. I am dying to find out what happens to the emperor and how the 4 eye-brow boy is going to expose the plot.

Thanks Moinllieon, I really appreciate you translating this book it has been so addictive. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon View Post
    {Translator's note: This title actually excludes the Ming dynasty as a possible setting for the Lu Xiao Feng story. Brothers of the Emperor were not given any titles during the Ming dynasty. Meaning the Lu Xiao Feng stories either takes place during the Qing dynasty, or isn't historically accurate.}
    Didn't Yongle have a title before he became Emperor just by being a son of the previous Emperor? They may not have had automatic titles granted, but perhaps the uncle had scored some merit before and got awarded the title?

That's not the only dynastic blooper, though. Lu Xiaofeng does refer to the Taihedian - the Hall was named Taihedian by Kangxi when the Qing decided to rename everything in the Forbidden City - during the Ming it was called the Fengtiandian.

I'd rather believe that Gu Long doesn't do his homework as well as Jin Yong, than accept that Lu Xiaofeng and Ximen Chuixue had pigtails, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracing Traveller
    The emperor probably wouldn't snatch the sword with his fingers, so I happen to agree with MysteriouX. But I also have a feeling that this guy is way too cool for an emperor. Unless they are some historical figures, the emperors are portrayed as corrupted and bully his people or just so-so personalities in most of the wuxia novels.
    Actually, the Ming Emperors weren't all that bad a bunch. Even Wanli, the worst of the lot and main cause of the eventual downfall of the dynasty, had a decent first half of his reign. Jiajing was weak and indifferent but at least trusted good ministers, while Chongzhen really tried very hard but just lacked wisdom. Chenghua abetted corruption among his staff while Zhengtong was paranoid and insecure, but they still managed to run the country adequately. Zhengde was probably the only one with no redeeming features, but Jiajing and Longqing after him still managed to have decent reigns. I've always wondered which Ming emperor this one was - my guess would be Hongzhi or Xuande.

Moinllieon, I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you for undertaking this massive task of translating the Lu Xiao Feng books. I happened to sit down one lazy Sunday, and completed your excellent translations of the first two books in one sitting! Really looking forward to the rest of Book 3 And yes, I registered to SPCNET just to post this. (Have been otherwise lurking in the forums)

And one more thing, Moinllieon, I currently have some time on my hands. Unfortunately, I can't read Chinese well enough to translate anything, but if you need someone to help out with copy-editing the reminder of the Book, I'm all up for it. Pls PM me.

But at the precise moment, a person suddenly flew in through the window.

His body seemed lighter than the breeze, ligther than the moonlight itself. But his name was as heavy as Mount Tai in the martial world.

Only one person can stop Ye Gu Cheng's poised strike.

Only one person can shock Ye Gu Cheng.

"Lu Xiao Feng!"

Ye Gu Cheng shouted. "What are you doing here?"

"Because you are here."

Ye Gu Cheng suddenly let out a long and tired sigh. "Why did I come here? Why did you also come here?"

Lu Xiao Feng replied with a sigh of his own. "You shouldn't have come here, I didn't need to come here. Pity both of us are here now."

"Pity."

"A real pity."

Ye Gu Cheng sighed again, but the sword in his hand once again turned to flash.

A sword from the west, an angel from the outter heavens.

But this sword flash was not directed towards Lu Xiao Feng.

As Lu Xiao Feng braced himself, the flash of the sword had already broken the window as the man followed closed behind, as if his sword and his body had turned into one.

Speed isn't just a stimulus, it is a very enjoyable rush.

Fast horses, fast boats, fast cars, and flying can all give a person this type of incredible pleasure.

But when you are running for your life, you would not be able to enjoy this rush.

Ye Gu Cheng loved speed. At White Cloud Castle, on nights when the moon was bright and the breeze fresh, he always enjoyed throwing his body against the wind as he flew underneath the moonlight.

It was always at those moments thta he felt the most at peace in his heart and mind.

At this moment, the moon was bright and the breeze fresh, and, surrounded by golden pavilions and jade bricks, he was running at his fastest, yet his heart was a mess.

He was running. And there was so much he did not understand--

Where did this plan go wrong? Where was the flaw?

How did Lu xiao Feng discover the secret? Why did he show up?

Nobody could answer those questions for him, just like nobody knew where the wind that was blowing by his face came from.

The moonlight looked wretched and lost, as if in a mist. Ahead, in the shadows of the imperial city, a person stood, as if clothed in white snow.

Ye Gu Cheng did not get a clear view of this person, all he really saw as a shadow of a person that was whiter than the mist, whiter than even the moonlight.

But he already knew who this person was.

Because he suddenly felt an irrepressable sense of aura, as if an invisible mountain had just crashed down upon his shoulders.

His pupils dilated, his muscles tensed.

Other than Xi Men Chui Xue, no other human being could possibly made him feel such pressure.

By the time he clearly saw Xi men Chui Xue's face, he had stopped.

Xi Men Chui Xue had his hand on his sword, but his sword was still in its sheath. The sword aura did not emanated from the sword in the first place.

He was far sharper than his sword, far more lethal.

when their gaze met, it was like two swords meeting point to point.

Neither one moved, for this type motionless pressure was far stronger and more frightening.

A falling leaf drifted into the scene with the wind. It floated between the two men and immediatel fell straight to the ground, for not even wind could move between them.

This pressure and intensity might be invisible, but it is far from immaterial.

"Do you study the sword?" Xi Men Chui Xue suddenly broke the silence.

"I am the sword."

"Do you know where the essence of the sword lay?"

"Do tell!"

"Sincerity."

"Sincerity?"

"Only when your heart is sincere and just can you scale the summit of the sword. The insincere are noth worthy to study the sword."

Ye Gu Cheng's pupils dilated once more.

But Xi Men Chui Xue held his gaze.

"You are not sincere."

Ye Gu Cheng did not say anything for a long time.

"Do you study the sword?" He suddenly asked.

"Study has no limits, the sword even more limitless."

"Then you should know that those who study the sword need only be sincere to the sword and not to other men."

Xi Men Chui Xue did not say any more, for all that had to be said was said.

At the land's end is Tian Ya, at the word's end is the sword.

{Translator's note:Tian Ya literally means Heaven's Limit (or End). It's the proper name in Chinese for the end of the world. I left it in Chinese because the phrase would sound redundant in English. If there are any suggestions for how to translate this phrase better, please don't hold it back.}

The sword was in hand, ready to be unsheathed.

At this moment, there was a sword flash, but not their swords.

Ye Gu Cheng looked up. Only now did he realize that he had been surrounded on all side by a veritable human wall. Several dozens of cold and unfeeling swords flashed about, literally creating the links in this net.

Not only was there a sword net, but there was a forest of lances and a mountain of sabres.

Moonlight reflected off of the polished blades and shone cold light onto the metal armours. The power and intimidation of the Forbidden City was something unimaginable for any ordinary human.

Even the ever calm and collected Wei Zi Yun had drops of visible cold sweat on his nose. With long sword in hand, he directed the troops into formation, eyes lever leaving Ye Gu Cheng.

"Master of White Cloud Castle?" He demanded, gravely.

Ye Gu Cheng nodded in reply.

"Master resides outside of the clouds, your sword was divine, you were divine, why must you soil thyself with greed for the dirt of this world and do such an unwise thing?"

"You don't understand?"

"I don't."

"No, you wouldn't understand." Ye Gu Cheng coldly replied.

"Perhaps I never would, but...."

"But we do understand that the treason you committed means death to you and your family." Eyes beaming like a hawk, Tu Fang, "the Divine Eagle of the Steppe", shouted out from his position behind Wei Zi Yun.

Even though he made his name as a youth with his lightness kungfu and the eagle claws, he had been a swordsman since turning fourty.

His sword was long but narrow, thus looking very similar to the swords used by the Southern Seas Sword Sect, but in reality, his moves came from the true teachings of the Kun Lun Sect.

Ye Gu Cheng shot a look at his sword out of the corner of his eyes.

"Do you know what your crimes are?" He sneered.

Tu Fang did not understand the question.

"You didn't make it studying the sabre, isn't good enough with the sword, and yet you dare to treat me with such disrespect. That crime also carries th epunishment of death."

Tu Fang's face dropped as the tip of his sword quivered in anticipation as he prepared to charge forth.

Once he charged force, others would surely follow. Ye Gu Cheng's unparalleled sword skill would matter little as he would surely be cut down in a bloodbath.

But before Tu Fang could charge forth, someone had already stopped him.

"Wait!"

Xi Men Chui Xue suddenly interjected.

"Wait for what?"

"I want to say something."

At this moment, at this place, even though the swords have been drawn and the bows have been pulled, if Xi Men Chui Xue wanted to say something, nobody could say no.

Wei Zi Yun nodded ever so slightly and Tu Fang put his charge on hold.

"If I joined forces with Master Ye, is there anybody in the world who can stop us?"

Nobody!

And there was nobody who did not know the answer either.

Wei Zi Yun took a deep breath as sweat drops appeared on his nose again.

Xi Men Chui Xue maintained his gaze at Wei Zi Yun.

"Do you understand my meaning?"

Wei Zi Yun shook his head in reply.

Of course, he understood what Xi Men Chui Xue was saying, but he would much rather pretend to not understand. He had to buy some time to think of a plan.

"I began studying the sword at the age of seven, and made my bones in seven years. I've yet to meet a worthy foe." Xi Men Chui Xue continued.

Ye Gu Cheng suddenly sighed and interrupted Xi Men Chui Xue. "'Only I fear in porphyry towers, under jade eaves, in those high places the cold wind would be more than I could bear'.... The loneliness that one knows at the top, how could these men understand it? And why do you bother trying to explain it to them?"

{Translator's Note: Ye Gu Cheng quotes a famous Chinese poem here written by Su Shi (aka Su Dongpo). The poemm is about the loneliness he felt as he drank by himself on August 15th, the Mid-Autumn's Festival, with only the full Harvest Moon to keep him company. He starts off by asking whimsical questions at the moon and concluding that he would love to fly up to the moon, only he was afraid that it would be too cold up that high. A most appropriate lament for this occasion. The poem have been converted into song and sang by both Teresa Teng and Faye Wong. Full Chinese text with English translations here.}

Xi Men Chui Xue's gaze returned onto Ye Gu Cheng. His face froze in an indescribable expression. Only after a long time did he speak again: "Tonight is also a night with a full moon."

"Yes."

"You are Ye Gu Cheng."

"Yes."

"You have a sword in hand, as do I."

"Yes."

"So I finally have found a worthy foe."

Wei Zi Yun spoke up: "So you aren't willing to let him be executed according to the law?"

"Are you a subject to the Mandate of Heaven, to His Majesty the Emperor?"

"At this moment, I only wish for a duel with Master Ye. Life, death, fame, and shame means nothing to me."

"In your eyes, this duel isn't just more important than the law, but life itself." Wei Zi Yun concluded.

Xi Men Chui Xue's gaze shifted once more, this time to something far away.

"'What's to celebrate about life? What's to fear about death?' If I find someone who truly understands me, then I can die without regrets. To have a foe like the Master of White Cloud Castle here, it would be even more so."

{Translator's note: The questions Xi Men Chui Xue poses here is taken directly from Liu Tang of the Heroes of the Water Margins fame.}

To a person like him, a true foe really was more desirable and even harder to come by than a true friend.

Seeing the deep and faraway loneliness on his face, an indescribale expression appeared on Wei Zi Yun's face as well.

"Life and death might be light as the feather of a swan, but the law is as heavy and unmoving as the mountains." He sighed. "Even though I understand your meaning, I..."

"Are you going to force me to help him fight our way out before having our duel?"

Wei Zi Yun's fists clenched has sweat began to drip off the tip of his nose.

"This duel is going to happen, so you better make up your mind soon." Xi Men Chui Xue stated matter of factly.

But Wei Zi Yun could not possibly make up his mind under these circumstances.

He had always been calculating and decisive, never a step behind, never a moment of hesitation. But this time he simply could not take the risk.

Suddenly, out of the forest of humanity, someone walked forward. And it seemed everyone was able to let out a little sigh of relief upon seeing this person.

For if there was anybody who could solve this matter, then that person would have to be Lu Xiao Feng.

There seemed to be a mist, yet there was no mist.

The bright moon was slowly setting to the west, yet the fog had not appeared.

Lu Xiao Feng walked into the scene with the moon hanging over head, his eyes locked squarely on Xi Men Chui Xue.

Xi Men Chui Xue's eyes were not looking back at him.

Lu Xiao Feng suddenly broke the silence: "So this duel really must happen?"

"Mm."

"And afterwards?"

"And nothing afterwards."

"So you are saying that, no matter if you win or lose, you won't meddle with this matter anymore?"

"Yes."

Lu Xiao Feng suddenly broke out into smile, turned around, and patted Wei Zi Yun on the shoulder.

"Still can't make up your mind?"

"I...."

"If I were you, I would be begging for them to get the duel started as soon as possible."

"Explain."

"Because no matter which one of them win or lose this duel, there's only good in it for you guys. What are you still waiting for?"

Wei Zi Yun was still mulling it over.

"The good I'm talking about here is good that happened to the old fisherman."

{Translator's Note:Lots of allusions in this portion of the story. What Lu Xiao Feng is referring to here is a famous folk tale about a clam and a snipe (a type of bird) had each other within their respective shells and beaks and refused to let go until an old fisherman came by and caught both.}

Lifting his head, Wei Zi Yun looked at Ye Gu Cheng, then at Xi Men Chui Xue, finally at Lu Xiao Feng, and let out a long and tired sigh.

"Tonight might have a full moon, but this isn't atop of the Forbidden City."

"Are you saying you are going to allow them to go back to the Hall of Supreme Harmony?"

Wei Zi Yun actually smiled.

"If this duel is going to happen, then why let those who went through all the trouble to come here go back empty handed?"

Lu Xiao Feng smiled too.

"'The Hunan Swordsman' indeed! So very free and easy-going."

Wei Zi Yun patted Lu Xiao Feng on his shoulder and smile.

"And Lu Xiao Feng really is Lu Xiao Feng."

ETA: End of Chapter 11, one more to go!
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 07-24-07 at 07:58 PM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Didn't Yongle have a title before he became Emperor just by being a son of the previous Emperor? They may not have had automatic titles granted, but perhaps the uncle had scored some merit before and got awarded the title?
    I think this was the reason why Ming emperors don't give their siblings titles and lands. Because Yongle used his land and power to usurp the throne, they are all very wary of it happening again. The Song emperors were all very wary for their generals getting too powerful because that's how they came to power. Maybe that's why Ming emperors were so tight pursed when it comes to titles for their relatives.

That's not the only dynastic blooper, though. Lu Xiaofeng does refer to the Taihedian - the Hall was named Taihedian by Kangxi when the Qing decided to rename everything in the Forbidden City - during the Ming it was called the Fengtiandian.

I'd rather believe that Gu Long doesn't do his homework as well as Jin Yong, than accept that Lu Xiaofeng and Ximen Chuixue had pigtails, though.
    I'd agree with that. The dynamic of the story would be completely different if the story was set in the Qing dynasty. The overt racial tension nowhere to be found in Lu Xiao Feng.

And they are queues not pigtails (closer to ponytails anyways). Pigtails is a pejorative for that hairstyle.

Actually, the Ming Emperors weren't all that bad a bunch. Even Wanli, the worst of the lot and main cause of the eventual downfall of the dynasty, had a decent first half of his reign. Jiajing was weak and indifferent but at least trusted good ministers, while Chongzhen really tried very hard but just lacked wisdom. Chenghua abetted corruption among his staff while Zhengtong was paranoid and insecure, but they still managed to run the country adequately. Zhengde was probably the only one with no redeeming features, but Jiajing and Longqing after him still managed to have decent reigns. I've always wondered which Ming emperor this one was - my guess would be Hongzhi or Xuande.
    It's not Yongle, that's for sure. I think I'd go with Xuande as well, since I feel Hongzhi was a bit too old by the time he became an Emperor for the timeline to make too much sense. Xuande was 17 when he ascended to the throne, fitting in quite nicely with the timeline as described in the book.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by hallothere View Post
    And one more thing, Moinllieon, I currently have some time on my hands. Unfortunately, I can't read Chinese well enough to translate anything, but if you need someone to help out with copy-editing the reminder of the Book, I'm all up for it. Pls PM me.
    I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm just concentrating on translating and finishing the book before turning around the copy-edit all 3 books. So I'll definitely keep ya in mind once I finish.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

cool cant wait for the actual duel

Thanks so much Moinllieon, a brilliant job as always.
    I spotted a couple of typing and word errors in the translation, I hope you don't mind me pointing them out.

It was always at those moments thta he felt the most at peace in his heart and mind.
    I am assume that "thta" = 'That'

A falling leaf drifted into the scene with the wind. It floated between the two men and immediatel fell straight to the ground, for not even wind could move between them.
    "immediatel" should be "immediately"

"Only when your heart is sincere and just can you scale the summit of the sword. The insincere are noth worthy to study the sword."
    "noth" should be "not"

At the land's end is Tian Ya, at the word's end is the sword.

{Translator's note:Tian Ya literally means Heaven's Limit (or End). It's the proper name in Chinese for the end of the world. I left it in Chinese because the phrase would sound redundant in English. If there are any suggestions for how to translate this phrase better, please don't hold it back.}
    'word' should be 'world'. Curiously for the translation for the part of "At the land's end is Tian Ya, at the world's end is the sword", I was wondering if it is sounds better as the following, "Where the land ends is Tian Ya (Heaven's End); where the world ends is the sword." Just a suggestion.

"You didn't make it studying the sabre, isn't good enough with the sword, and yet you dare to treat me with such disrespect. That crime also carries th epunishment of death."
    "th epunishment" should be "the punishment"

I hope that helps. Thanks so much again Moinllieon. It is so sad the book is about to end soon..

overjoy71
    I'm not gonna condemn or say anything, and I'm sure Moinllieon wouldn't complain or say anything here, but I want to politely say that please be careful about posting something like this here, he knows you're trying to be helpful...

There are a lot of arrogant, overzealous, self-centered, self-rightuous people on this forum who will try to blame you for posting corrections such as these. They are going to tell you things like "give it a break, Moinllieon is busy translation as fast as he can, he is doing a great job, he is putting in a lot of effort..."

Anyways like you I am sad that this book is gonna come to an end soon. I hope Moinllieon decides to translated the remaining books too.

Awesome work Moin!

As for the exchange between Ximen Chuixue and Ye Gucheng, I had made an attempt to translate that a couple years back as well. Here's what I came up with:

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12687

西門吹雪不再說話,話已說盡。
    陸的盡頭是天涯,話的盡頭就是劍。

Ximen Chuixue did not say another word. There was nothing left to say.
    All roads lead to the horizon. All words end with the sword.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

I also wanted to say that your Lu Xiaofeng translations were one of the reasons I started translating (=
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Awesome work Moin!

As for the exchange between Ximen Chuixue and Ye Gucheng, I had made an attempt to translate that a couple years back as well. Here's what I came up with:

西門吹雪不再說話,話已說盡。
    陸的盡頭是天涯,話的盡頭就是劍。

oh good, its about the verbal exchange, thought u meant the sword exchange...haven't been spoiled yet then

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    Thanks so much Moinllieon, a brilliant job as always.
    I spotted a couple of typing and word errors in the translation, I hope you don't mind me pointing them out.
    Wow, I had a terrible day with typos. Thanks alot.

Only thing I can say is that the "word" one you said was meant to be "word".

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    wesome work Moin!

西門吹雪不再說話,話已說盡。
    陸的盡頭是天涯,話的盡頭就是劍。

Thanks. That sounds alot better.

I also wanted to say that your Lu Xiaofeng translations were one of the reasons I started translating (=
    Really? You are doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.