Thread: Voices

Default Voices

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.anniemania.com/cussieB/voices/voices.gif')

Forewords

If you had enjoys the mysterious twists and turns of “The Other Soul”, you’ll probably find the horror tale behind “Voices” suspenseful, chilly, and full of unexpected thrills. As the story unravels, you might find yourself more aware of sounds around you, especially during the quietest night (*effect may varies depending on what time of the day you read it ;oP ). “Voices” capture a terrifying buried family secret of the Yip that is dying to share with anyone that could hear its’ tale. Would you dare to listen?

Cast:
    Ivan Yip: (Louis Koo)
    Annabelle Ling: (Annie Man)
    Isabelle Ling: (Myolie Wu)
    Maxim Leung: (Wong Hei)
    Elizabeth: (Ada Choi)
    Mrs. Leung: (Helena Law)

Default Chapter 1

---characters in this chapter--- (age are in parenthesis)
    Ivan Yip (25)= Louis Koo
    Ivan’s father (71)= senior version of Louis ;o)
    Lizzy (14)= fictional fourteen-years-old

Heavy footsteps echoed down the vacant hallway of Primary Hospital. The ceiling lights seem extra dim during this late hour of four past midnight. His rushing footsteps ended when he reached his father’s ward. Stiffly, he placed his hand to hold the doorknob firmly. His eyes pierced through the small Plexiglas opening, staring straight at his ill father on the pure white sickbed.

He frozenly stood at the door with mixed emotions of pain and anger starting to gather. His adapted cold heart weakened an ounce to see the enemy of his mind lying there so fragilely. He had hated him and wanted him dead for so many years, but yet he felt so stranded to face him again when his wish is finally granted. His stirring heart kept urging him to go see his father for the last time, but he stubbornly held himself back.

Anger and hatred are fully shown in his pair of deadly still eyes. His face lack emotion, but yet it showed all his bitterness toward having any love left for his father. Silently, he stood to watch his father’s chest slowly rise and lower. His father’s head weakly turned to face him, but his eyes were tiredly closed. Looking at his father feature is like looking at a reflection of him self, but being seventy-one with shivery hair and crisp winkles of sin.

No matter how unwilling he is, his heart slowly given in because it pained him to see his father dying. Finally, he allowed his stiffen hand to turn the doorknob and opened the door to his father’s private patient room, which slightly caused a squeak.

“Ivan, is that you?” his father dry coarsen voice faintly muttered. “Ivan…”

Hesitated, Ivan finally decided to pity his father’s condition. He soundlessly walked in to stand next to the bed. He is looking down at his extremely ill father with his pair of lost empty eyes. Stubbornly, Ivan wouldn’t speak a single word.

His father weakly opened his eyes, but it was only a thin slit, since he had no strength left in his life. The corners of his father’s lips slowly curved up. “Thanks,” whispered his father, “I know you would come in the end.” He wetted his dry chapped lips before he continue to speak softly, “I’m sorry. I haven’t been a good father to you. I had done so much wrong. Please forgive me for not being there.”

“You are apologizing to the wrong person. And it’s too late anyway,” emptily replied the son.

“I know,” sighed his father. Then he coughed labouredly, but his son show no sympathy at all. He gazed at his son feature closely, than sighed with regret. “Ivan, don’t follow my footstep. Don’t be like me. Be truthful and loving when you found the one to trust. I’m sorry to make you the way you are now.”

Chuckled coldly, Ivan bitterly states, “I would have never imagines that those words could come from you…father…” His voice was so distanced and icy when he said ‘father’.

Sadness dwelled both suffering men. The old father gazed at his 25-years-old son closely. Unlike himself, he knows that his son is special. He is proud of his son for being so independent and successful in business, but there is always a price for having control. Seeing how harden those glassy eyes of his son are upon him, he could sees how his son had turned ambitious, cruel, aggressive, emotionless, and those drives he had for power. He doesn’t want his son to be bitter like this for the rest of his life. “Ivan, don’t let me effects you this much. You use to be so caring and sweet. I still remember how you use to smile when you were a young boy…”

“Well, everyone will mature no matter if he wanted to or not. Right, father?” Ivan cynically asked in a soft tone.

Suffering, his father gasped for breath. His lungs had been hardened from full bloomed tumors causes from the many years of cigars and alcohol. Ivan gazed down upon him with no emotion shown, but deep down his heart do bleed. His father reached out and held his hand as he spoke again, “Ivan, I know I don’t deserve your love and forgiveness, but please, please grant my last few wishes.” He panted labouredly while Ivan stood motionless. His father continues, “Twenty-five-years-ago, I had promised to leave Vinea forever un-touch. Please don’t sell that mansion no matter what happen. There are still a dozen servants there to serve the mansion, so don’t cut the monthly fund to Vinea. Promise me you’ll never go there for a visit. Leave it alone.”

“Why?” Ivan short question echoed. He had been wondering ‘why’ ever since his grandpa died and had told him the same.

His father didn’t reply immediately. He seems to be drawn back into time. Ivan curiously studies his father. After his long deep thought, Ivan’s father answered, “Vinea had been very important to us, Yip for years, but it’s no longer belongs to us. We mustn’t disturb it peacefulness and mustn’t stop funding it either, you understand?” He slightly turned to nudge his head on the white pillow to dry his tear as he whispered so faintly, “May all bad goes with me.”

“You know I had promised grandpa the same,” reminded Ivan.

“Stay away from it. Don’t let her visit there too. Don’t send her there,” muttered his father weakly. Ivan could barely hear what his father said. He doesn’t understand who his father meant. “Please promise me,” his father pleaded. Ivan didn’t give him an answer, nor did he nod, but from those eyes of Ivan, his father knows that he had agree, therefore his father smile with relief. But still there is one last wish that worried his father. Old Mr. Yip released his hand to reach out for a necklace on the bed-table. It’s a platinum necklace with a plain cross charm that is simple, but yet beautiful. He held it toward Ivan.

Curiously, Ivan held it in hand to examine. His father spoke again, “It’s for Lizzy. I had promised to celebrate her birthday with her, but I had missed it. Ivan, please help me give it to her. Please, please…” he panted more labored and even whizzed his few last words, “Take care of her…” His father arm dropped and the monitor loudly alerted a flat beep.

Ivan hand tightened on the necklace while his eyes are glued at his father’s pale lifeless face. He does not know who his father is talking about. He had never heard of Lizzy. With one last look at his father, Ivan turned to walk out.
    -----

A week later, Ivan is sitting in a large lawyer’s office. The lawyer had made an appointment with him to read his father’s Will. A respectful smile appeared on the lawyer face when he stepped into his office to greet his client, “How’s your day Ivan?”

“Will get better, I suppose,” a sharp smile slightly brightened Ivan’s face. He glanced at his watch and hurried his lawyer, “Sam, I have to be in an important meeting in an hour. So let get going.”

“No problem. I got your father’s Will here. All you need to do is read through it and sign here,” instructed the lawyer.

Impatiently, Ivan took the document and signed it without reading its’ content. His vision brushed across the name Lizzy on the Will. Suddenly those few lines of text seem like they are standing out boldly, like big highlighted sign to Ivan’s mind. His browse furrowed as he read the lines carefully. It stated that Lizzy Yip, daughter of Mr. William Yip will receive 10% of the stock to Yip Ling Cooperation. She will also inherit the flat at Willow Bay Housing. Her inheritance will be governed by her half-brother Ivan Yip, until she reaches the age of twenty-five.

“Daughter?” laughed Ivan while shaking his head in disbelief. “Sam, this got to be a mistake. You know that I’m my father’s only child.”

“I’m sorry Ivan, but I’m afraid to tell you that this Will is accurate and will be backed up by the law. Uncle Yip personally came in to see me about seven-years-ago to have his Will adjusted…”

“This is ridiculous! Why didn’t you tell me before hand?” furiously scolded Ivan.

The lawyer sighed with a guilty expression, “I’m sorry Ivan, but I really couldn’t do anything. Your father is my client and I must protect his privacy.”

“There is no way that my father would give one-third of my inheritance away to some stranger! That one-third of inheritance doesn’t even belong to him! Sam, you know that grandpa had changed his Will before he die. He wanted to give the entire inheritance to me!”

“He didn’t change his Will, Ivan. Yes, he had verbally told you that, but no one was there in the hospital with you two. There is no witness, nor did he sign anything. You know the law too, Ivan. I’m sorry, but his inheritance belongs to your father, therefore he had every right to split it however he wanted to,” the lawyer softly explained not wanting to trigger Ivan’s anger any further. Ivan hissed with his eyes darted hard at the Will. Sam muttered under his breath, “Why didn’t you come in to settle this with him after your grandpa’s pass?”

“I was only eighteen at the time; you think I had the ability to handle a multibillion-dollar-cooperation! How would I know that my own father would do this to me? For heaven sake I don’t even know who is Lizzy!” growled Ivan with displease.

Sam quickly searches through his desk to find a folder. He then hand it to Ivan. “Your father gave me this back than. Apparently, he claimed that Lizzy is his illegitimate daughter. Her mother is called Maryanne Kwan. She passed away about seven-years-ago too. Lizzy just turned 14 two weeks ago, which is why Uncle Yip had came in just a month ago to change the title of Willow Bay Housing to Lizzy. He said it was one of his gifts to Lizzy.”

Scanning through Lizzy’s document, Ivan frowned with disbelief that his father would leave behind a half-sister for him. For years, Ivan had known and hated the fact that his father was an obnoxious rich man that cares for nothing but his own pleasure, luxury, and games. A man who will do anything just to pleases himself. He still believes that his mother’s death was caused because of his father lack of emotion to see his mother’s suffering for love and attention. After knowing that his father had a second child outside, it made Ivan eyes flamed up even more. He doesn’t understand how his father could be so irresponsible and insensitive. But most importantly Ivan is angry because he thinks his father was a worthless man, who knows nothing but ruin his family and the family’s business. Since young, he witness how his father would throw money out to make people obey. He watched his father walked out of the family when trouble arrived. To Ivan, his father was nothing but a worthless jerk that depended solely on his family’s wealth.

Ivan eyes finally came across a photo of a young sweet girl. The photo was taken when Lizzy was seven, which is also the time Ivan’s father came in to change his Will. Looking at the photo, Ivan felt a bit confuse, like he had seen this girl before, but he can’t remember when and where. Her eyes are so round and full of spirit, which made Ivan expression cooled off a bit. She seems very bright and happy in the picture which triggered his memory. He remembers seeing a much younger girl looking like Lizzy at a gathering ten years ago. She was playful and mischievous, running around with her laughter. He remembered chasing after her for something, but he can’t remember what. He could barely remember teaching her and another girl how to play a game of sardine.

“Ivan?” called the lawyer.

Ivan pulled himself back out of his thought. “You have the address to where she lives?” Ivan asked. He wanted to see her, he wanted to know more.
    ------

“Hey Liz!” called a young and energize classmate of Lizzy as she ran to catch up with Lizzy. She yanked Lizzy’s headphone away. Lizzy immediately clasped her palms tightly against her ears. “Sorry,” sheepishly apologized her friend. She quickly places the music headphone back on Lizzy. Lizzy smiled forgivingly, while toning down her music a notch so she can hear her friend. “Why are you so glooms lately?” her friend questioned caringly.

“Nothing,” pouted the teenager as she continues to walk home. Her eyes suddenly brightened with an idea. “Maybe he is too busy to see me, but it doesn’t mean I couldn’t go see him, right?” she cheerfully exclaim.

“See who?”

“My daddy of course! Do you know how to get to Yip Ling cooperation? Daddy say he own the company and worked there as Vice President and CEO,” proudly grinned Lizzy. She had admired every aspect of her father, since other than her father she doesn’t have any other family. Her father had mention to her about Ivan, but also warned her to not let Ivan know about their relationship.

Her friend looked around the street and giggled, “As long as there is Taxi, I don’t see why we can’t get there even if we don’t know where it’s at. So are we going now?”

“No, let me drop off my backpack and tell nana that I’m going to your house,” she sneakily stated.

While her friend ran home to tell her mother, Lizzy ran home quickly. She rushed into the flat excitedly hollering as she pulled her headphone off and throw it on the sofa, “Nana, I’m going over to…” Her voice trailed off with her eyes enlarged and blinked several times at the first sight of her brother. “Daddy? What happen to your hair? You highlight it? But your winkles,” Lizzy is getting more confused as she questioned suspiciously.

Meanwhile Ivan just closely study Lizzy’s feature. Her black shinny hair, her round radiant eyes, and her flushing chubby cheeks reminded him of someone he once known. She looked really innocent and true unlike those people that had surrounded him for the past years.

“No, you’re not daddy. No plastic surgeon could be this good,” she teased with chuckle and confused eyes on the man. “Who are you?” Lizzy softly asked.

With no reply, Ivan just walked up to her and pulled his hand out of his pocket. Tangling on his hand is the necklace that his father asked him to give to Lizzy. Ivan slowly speak with his steady clear voice that lack emotion, “He wanted me to give this to you. He was sorry that he couldn’t make it to your birthday.”

“Where is he now? Are you Ivan?” Lizzy asked and nervously stepped back a step. Somehow she felt fearful now. She remembered that her father told her many times that Ivan wouldn’t like to meet her or know anything about her.

With a slight nod, Ivan stares motionlessly into Lizzy eyes trying to see her mind. He could smell and taste her fear which made him blinked and looked away not wanting to frighten her any further. “He will never come back again,” he dully replied almost in a monotone, since he doesn’t know how he should communicate with a sister, especially one that is eleven years younger than him. He turned to face her again before he continue, “You can continue to stay here with your nanny. I’ll take care of you like how he had been.”

“Where is daddy? Is he too busy with work? Being Vice President of the company do require lots of time, huh?” Lizzy tried hard to study her brother response, but she doesn’t like the feeling she is getting.

“Lizzy, right?” Ivan asked, while Lizzy nodded. Ivan walked closer to her and bent slightly to meet her eyes level. He cruelly whispered, “Don’t be so naïve, Lizzy. Never believe everything anyone ever told you. Not even your own father.” Ivan stood back up with a cynic chuckle. Lizzy pouted and glared at him. Ivan shook his head at his sister ignorance. “Your father is an useless man, Lizzy. He do nothing but spend money to manipulate naïve girl like you to think he is superior,” coldly exclaimed Ivan.

“That is not true!” protested Lizzy.

“Ask anyone you want at Yip Ling, see if you’ll find anyone supporting your belief…”

“Daddy would not lie to me…”

“That what I thought too when I was your age,” Ivan turned away.

Lizzy studied him closely and she started to frown. She could tell from those eyes of her brother, that he is only telling the truth. “Why would he lie to me?” she muttered so softly. “Where is he?” she questioned again for the third time. Lizzy heart wagered to see her brother emotionless expression. She had a feeling that something awful had happened to her father. Other than that she can’t think of a reason why her brother would be here. “Where is daddy?” she whispered again.

Instead of replying, Ivan took one last glance into Lizzy’s eyes. He than finishes, “If you need help, you could reach me with this phone,” he handed her the phone and turn to leave.

“Ivan…” called Lizzy, but Ivan wouldn’t stop walking out. That was Lizzy last and only sight of her brother for years to come.

Default Chapter 2

---chapter’s characters list---
    Ivan Yip (30)= Louis Koo
    Lizzy Yip (19)
    Isabelle Ling (22)= Myolie Wu
    Annabelle Ling (28)= Annie Man
    Joe (32)

---Five years later---

“Morning Sir,” greeted an old maid of Ivan once he stepped into the dinning room. As usual, Ivan response with a nod and settled down comfortably on his cherry oak chair. Another maid stepped up to offer him his black coffee, while the old maid handed him the newspaper. Like every morning, Ivan routinely read his newspaper before consuming his breakfast.

Once the sound of the phone rings, the old maid excused herself to retrieve the phone for him. “Sir, it’s Mr. Phil on the phone,” informed the maid humbly.

Ivan troubled eyes glanced up at the phone. With a soundless growl he answered the phone. “Hi Uncle Phil, what brought you to call this early in the morning?”

“Oh Ms Ling had some question about the company, that she would like me to help her gather information. She is getting quite nervous about her up coming 25th birthday. It is a big deal, I suppose. But I think she could handle leading Yip Ling cooperation with no problem, don’t you think so too, Ivan?” the voice of an old friendly lawyer annoyed Ivan’s every nerves.

“I’ll have to see her before I could answer your question,” Ivan replied as calmly as he could control himself to be.

“Oh no worry about her, I’m sure you two will get along great. You had been such a great help to her for the past twelve years. I’m sure with her lead and your brain nothing can stand in Yip Ling’s way. Don’t you agree?” asked Mr. Phil.

Ivan’s expression darkened. He can’t stand the fact that this so called Ms Ling is old enough to take over her inherited 55% of the company stock within a month. Now he is no longer able to decide on all decision freely. He had to go through her, even on the smallest project. Ivan growled in his mind with the same criticize cycling in his mind. ‘She is a young female, what does she know about business issues? She should just stick with her fashion shopping or those flower arrangement classes. What could she do in the company? All she will do is be in our way. Female,’ thought Ivan. Ivan just dread on meeting this Ms Ling at work next month.

“I would of hope,” Ivan replied, “Uncle Phil, I don’t like to spend my personal time dealing business matter, so let me answer all of yours or Ms Ling questions when I’m in my office. I’ll hear from you then. Bye now.” Without waiting for a reply, Ivan handed the phone to his maid.

Sipping on his bitter sweet coffee, Ivan returned to his paper. He got interested on an article when his eyes came across a photo of a seven-years-old girl. His temple quickly became crowded as he read the article. Idea immediately sparked in his curious mind. “That’s where I saw her,” Ivan whispered to himself.

Wanting to get to the bottom of this, he folded the newspaper and headed to his home office with it. He dialed a number to get his most trusted best friend, whom is a detective. “Jeff, this is Ivan. I need you to do me an immediate favor. Help me get every little detail you could find on Lizzy Yip.”

“Lizzy Yip? Isn’t she your half-sister?” Jeff asked. He is the only one who knows Ivan inside out.

“Yes. I want to know everything about her before she was fourteen, including a profile on her mother. Even every single places Lizzy use to live. Every little think such as which school she attend, which doctor she saw, which hospital she was born in, what blood type she have. Everything, you got that?” Ivan requested. “This is very urgent, so I need this done as soon as possible.”

“What’s her mother’s name again?”

“Maryanne Kwan,” Ivan replied with a wicked smile slowly appearing.
    -----

Two weeks from the day Ivan called Jeff, he had received Jeff’s report on Lizzy, which bring him both bad and good news. The bad news did gloomed and disappointed his heart, while the good news turned him greedy and cruel. But to a power driven brother he is, the reward of the good news had exceeded any price.

Impatient, Ivan had droves over to visit Lizzy that afternoon. Once he stepped into the enormous flat of Willow Bay’s Housing, Lizzy’s nanny directed him to the music room. As Ivan walked down the hallway, he begins to hear soft melody created by a piano. Even though he had not seen Lizzy since she was fourteen, he still knows everything that had happened since the past five years because he had kept a close eye on Lizzy through her nanny. Ivan knows that Lizzy like music because he was the one paying for her lessons, her tuition to attend a well know music school, and buy her all the instruments she had ever wanted.

Soundlessly, Ivan stepped into the room wanting to continue to listen and not interrupt her. The back figure of the nineteen-years-old sure show him that she had became a lady without him noticing. Seeing her again bring Ivan’s a mixture of warmth and anger.

Lizzy continue to manipulate her fingers along the keys to bring her emotion into the piece of music. Her melody climaxed and ended when she strokes her last key. “Nice to see you finally drops in Mr. Ivan Yip,” she said as she slowly stood up and turned to face her brother.

Her matured beauty caught Ivan by surprise. Her sweet round eyes, her rosy cheeks, and her pouting lips made her as cute and innocent as she was. Ivan tough expression somehow always mellow out a bit when he is with her. “I could tell I didn’t waste money to make your dream come true,” he exclaimed as he gently runs his fingers along the row of keys on the piano.

“Why, thanks,” brightly grinned Lizzy. After her father had die and ever since the first time she met Ivan, Lizzy had became more aware of her brother. Through the years of waiting for him to visit her again, she had collected news and article on him. She read everything about him that she could sink her teeth into. Lizzy had learns a great deal about Ivan. She became his little admirer that is so proud of his success in the business realm. She was thrill when she read the magazine with Ivan being on the front page. He had won this year most successful young businessman award. He had also recollected all of Yip Ling’s stock from people that his father had sold out to, except for Ms Ling, since she stubbornly wouldn’t sell her stock no matter how great Ivan’s offer were.

“I have a feeling that you are not here just to hear me play, since you could do so years ago,” Lizzy slyly analyzed.

“I see he passed you the same gene he passed me,” smirked Ivan with a crooked smile, but his eyes are on her so still with a bit of coldness. Lizzy chuckled with a proud nod. Ivan cleared his throat and glanced out the window. “Lizzy, for the past five years, I had given you everything you wished for. I had done everything I could to accomplish your dream…”

“I know you were the one behind my acceptance to Uni, since I messed up on my recital pretty badly,” she sheepishly admitted, while showing a cheerful smile because she is happy to have a brother that look after her.

Ivan just weakly smiled as he continues, “Which is why I’m certain you would make my dream come true too. I would give you anything that you could name, so I’m expecting the same in return.”

“I did wishes to see you for many years…”

“Well, here I am,” Ivan turned to look at her straight into her eyes. She always seems to be smiling so gleefully like this world had nothing but happiness.

“Alright. I do want to help you, but I don’t know anything about business,” Lizzy honestly admitted as she wonders how she could of help.

“No need know, no need at all,” replied Ivan. “All I need is for you to work with me and do exactly everything I asked you to for the next six years. Six years is all I needed to reach my dream and get everything that is rightfully ours back.”

“I don’t understand,” Lizzy muttered nervously to her brother’s meaning.

Ivan gave her an assuring smile as he promised, “Don’t worry, you are my blooded sister, there is no reason for me to harm you. I just want to get back everything that he gave away to the Ling.”
    -----

---Three years later---

The kiddy melody of “Baa Baa Black Sheep” is softly hummed in the living room of a spacious luxurious flat. The sweet muttered hum slowly became more define and whisper of the lyric filled the room. “Yes, sir, yes, sir. Three bags full,” joyfully sang the faint voice of an early twenty-years-old girl. Her eyes carry cheerfulness as she sings and paint at the same time.

Her voice had drawn her older sister Annabelle to peek out from the kitchen with a chuckle. Annabelle closed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich together. Unknowingly, Annabelle too was joyfully singing along with her sister as she sliced the sandwich in half diagonally.

Quickly and curiously, Annabelle took the snack out to the living room in hope to catch a gleam of her sister singing. But once her footsteps were heard, her sister instantly stopped singing leaving total silent between them. Annabelle saddens to see how her sister reacts to her being present. She doesn’t understand why her sister simply wouldn’t talk to her or anyone else. She wouldn’t even speak if she could get away without it.

Over the years of taking care of her sister, Annabelle had learns to not pressure her sister to talk by force. Putting back a smile on, Annabelle suggested, “Isabelle, come, let go wash your hands so you could have your PJ sandwich.”

Happily grinning like a hungry seven-years-old, Isabelle nodded to Annabelle suggestion. She quickly wiped the colorful paints on her dirty hands onto her white cloth apron. After she is done, she smiled brightly and shows her sister the two palms of her hand by waving them.

“That’s not good enough. Come on, don’t be lazy, head to the bathroom now,” instructed Annabelle as she start to help Isabelle clean up the mess she had made. Annabelle pick up the new painting that Isabelle had done from the floor to admire the colorful splashes and swirled scribble done by finger. It almost looked like she was drawing a beautiful flower field by a cool lake. It really amaze her how Isabelle had a talent with art and music even though her mind is immature.

Meanwhile, Isabelle reached out to grab her stuffed black sheep before she obediently heads to the bathroom. Her humming begins to become audible again when she was in the bathroom.

When Isabelle returned, Annabelle shook her head at the sight of Isabelle favorite buddy, which is dripping grayish water on the polished wooden floor. “I have to remember to tell Jane to throw that filthy black lamb of yours into the washer,” Annabelle said, then teased, “She might as well throw you into the washer too.”

Giggling, Isabelle knows that her sister is just joking. She offered half of her peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich to her older sister. They ate happily until Isabelle froze in position and dropped her sandwich back on the plate.

At that same moment the door swung open. Joe, Annabelle’s boyfriend stepped into the flat and looked toward the two sisters. Isabelle quickly gathered her black sheep and headed to her room. She never liked to stay around Joe because she knows he don’t like her much and she don’t like him being with her sister anyway.

“Belle, where are you going? You still haven’t finishes your snack,” Annabelle hollered after Isabelle, whom walked into her room and closed the door. Suspiciously, Annabelle turned to face her boyfriend. Walked over to wrap her arms around her boyfriend, Annabelle teased, “Tell me the truth, had you been abusing her behind my back?”

Joe hissed while loosening his tie. “Since when had you ever leave her side for me to abuse?” he questioned with a bit of irritation.

After hearing that tone of Joe, Annabelle playfulness disappeared. Offended, her face darkens with displease. She released her arms and walked to grab Isabelle’s snack plate. “I do not have time to argue with you. I need to go fix dinner now,” she warned. Hastily, Joe headed to their room and slammed the door shut in protest. “Men,” mumbled Annabelle with a disappointed pout.

Default Chapter 3

---Chapter’s characters---
    Katie
    Isabelle (Belle)= Myolie Wu
    Joe
    Annabelle (Ann)= Annie Man

“They are at it again…” whispered a worry child. “Belle, they are fighting. I’m scare…Belle…Belle…”

Struggling to sleep, Isabelle kept turning her head side to side, trying to eliminate those annoying whisper of the deep night.

“Belle!” angrily cried the voice of a little seven-years-old girl.

“I’m sleepy. Don’t bother me, Katie. I don’t want to listen,” mumbled Isabelle grouchily. She turned to the other side of her bed to snuggle into her pillow.

The distracting sound of the girl’s whining for attention slowly faded. Back to peacefulness, Isabelle’s breathing became relaxed, and soon she fallen back into deep sleep. She dreamt of heading out into a beautiful garden of daisy. In the center of the flower field, her father stood waving for her to come. Tempted, Isabelle’s hand reached out to grab the door knob of the glass door. Right when the lock clicked to her turning the knob, Isabelle alertly wakened.

Fully aware, Isabelle eyes popped open widely staring into the dark space of her room. She clearly recalls hearing the squeaky door of her room opened. Grumpily moody, she rolled to the other side of her bed with her deadly glare toward the opened doorway. Under the door frame, she sees the young girl in bright red dress, red shinny buckle shoes, and braided ponytail, stood stilly waiting for her in the middle of a pitch dark night.

Turned to her right darting at the red beam light of a sound monitor being on, Isabelle frustratingly shuts the monitor off before she fiercely scolded, “Leave me alone!”

Isabelle’s loud voice made the child tremble with tears. Katie sharp angry eyes beamed at Isabelle dryly. Her dry eyes are encircled with dark sunken rims. She pouted with guilt, but she also shook her head disapproving Isabelle for shouting at her. When she shake her head, her smooth thin neck clearly shows the large and deep purplish fingers imprints left behind by a pair of cruel heartless hands.

“They are fighting, Belle!” frustratingly repeated the depressed child. “Like how mommy and daddy were…” her teary frightened voice whimpered softly with shiver.

Isabelle glanced out into the dark hallway toward the dim light under the door of her sister’s room. The soft hum of the distance arguing noises made Isabelle sadden with guilt for what she had causes. It is her intention to stir up trouble for her sister and Joe, since she wanted to purposely get rid of Joe. She felt guilty because she know she is selfish to treat Annabelle this way, while all Annabelle ever thought of was to protect her.

“Belle, let go stop them,” suggested Katie with nervous weak voice. She rushed down the hallway with her buckle shoes making echoes of clatter that pounded into Isabelle’s guilty heart with uncertainty of what she done is right or wrong. She just doesn’t want Annabelle with anyone else other than her.

When Katie had gotten to the closed door, she turned to Isabelle with frowning sad expression. She waved for Isabelle to come. Slowly, Isabelle gave in. She quietly walked over to stand next to Katie. “Open it,” Katie urged Isabelle.

As soundlessly as she could, Isabelle opened the door slightly enough for one of her eyes to pierce in. She swallowed the hard lump on her throat when she saw them inflamingly not facing each other. Isabelle eyes start to turn glassy when she saw her sister trying hard to ignore Joe’s harsh words, while seated facing her makeup mirror sewing the torn ear of her black sheep back together. Isabelle vision shifted to Joe and it makes her felt terrible to see how frustrated he is with the situation. Angered at herself, her eyes became hard but confused when she returns to dart at her black sheep. She doesn’t know what to do.

She quickly, but gently, pulled the door shuts again, before she ran back into her room, not wanting to hear another word of it. The harsh voices and subject of the argument between Annabelle and her boyfriend made Isabelle’s heart felt unease and sinful. In anguish locked tears, Isabelle silently sobbed as she seated herself right behind her bedroom’s door. She felt awful for what she had done.

Meanwhile, Katie pouted at Isabelle for ignoring her and running back to her room instead of stopping the two. She finally decided to leave Isabelle behind and walk into the room to see what’s happening. Through the door, Katie walked up to look at the two inflamed adults that are almost twice her height. Her eyes are filled up with fear as she looked at them pleadingly. ”Ann, don’t fight, Belle could hear you, she is crying in her room,” she warned, but no one seem to care about what she said.

“Annabelle for crying out loud, she is twenty-two and still talks to her imaginary friends!” shouted Joe in frustration. He rushed up to Annabelle and yanked the black sheep from her. “Not to mention how ridiculous she looked when she carried this stuffed sheep everywhere she goes,” yelled the upset boyfriend of Annabelle. He is tired that there is no room or time for them to be alone, just the two of them. He had enough with how Isabelle been behaving toward him. “It’s always Belle this, Belle that! You devoted all your time to her, but does she appreciate it? Annabelle, wake up! She doesn’t even talk to you!”

Growling under her breath, Annabelle mumbled her words, “It doesn’t matter…”

Joe interrupted to continue firing his displease with Isabelle, “Yeah, it does not matter to her. If she does care, she wouldn’t have pretends to be dumb in front of us for all these years! She wouldn’t keep hurting herself to make you worry every minute of the day!”

Hissing with irritation, Annabelle walked away trying to ignore him, but her boyfriend trailed after her. “Can you just shut it!” she finally blurted demandingly.

“Annabelle, face it, she have a problem. There are such places called the Special Need’s Home. There are specialists there to take care of people like her for twenty-four-hours of the day…”

My sister is not retarded or disable like those people! She is normal! She does know how to take care of herself,” Annabelle furiously protested. It’s always offensive to her when people put Isabelle down.

“Take care of herself?! She haves a brain of a seven-years-old. You don’t even trust her enough to let her feed herself!” Joe barked.

Growled frustratingly, Annabelle shook her head at her boyfriend, “I don’t even understand you. What is wrong with you? Belle did nothing to you. She never even bothers you. Why do you hate her so much?”

“I don’t hate her, Ann. She is the one who hated me,” he mumbled under his breath than clearly stated, “I just want you to see that you need to get your own life back. You can’t let your sister runs your entire life. She will not get better. Are you going to take care of her for the rest of your life?”

“Joe, she is my sister! How could you say such a thing? She is the only family I have left now. You know how much she meant to me. It’s my responsibility to take care of her…”

“No, it’s NOT! It was an accident, stop burdening yourself with guilt. She is old enough to either take care of herself or find someone to take care of her. You can’t devote your life to be there for her. She is your sister, not your daughter,” Joe aspirated loudly, “I’m tired of this! Because of her, we never have time for ourselves. For heaven-sake we couldn’t even go out much because she wouldn’t even get out of this freaken flat! And all of her strange behavior and those crap that she is complaining about when she do open her mouth to us! Everything was perfect before she came!”

“STOP IT!” demanded Annabelle from the top of her lungs. In a softer tone Annabelle dreadfully stated, “She is just traumatized, Joe…”

“Your parents died when she was seven, I don’t even believe that she remember how they looked like. Even if she do, it had been fifteen years already, how much longer could she be traumatized?” Joe forced the question.

Annabelle eye’s enlarged on him hard, “I can’t believe you are this rude.” With an angry pout, Annabelle silently stares at her boyfriend with flame up to her head.

Joe sighed and turned to walk to a nearby chair. He sat down with his face buried into his palms, before he continue in a deep loving voice, “Ann, you know I loved you very much. But this is really getting out of hand. You are always so work-up with caring for Belle that you are exhausted by the end of each day. You have to admit that we have no interaction anymore other than sleeping in the same bed.” Joe let out a chuckle while slightly shaking his head. He continues, “You don’t even have time to argue with me, unless it’s at night and Belle is asleep.”

Annabelle turned to glance at her boyfriend with a bit of guilt. She softly asked, “Joe, what do you want me to do? You say so yourself, Belle think like a seven-years-old, how could you tell me to leave her to other? I’m her sister. All I have is her and all she has is me. I hadn’t been a good sister to her before, I really wanted to make up everything to her now.” She quickly turned away to blink her tears and wipe off any trace of it. Ever since her parents passed away, Annabelle had learned to be strong and never shows her tears to anyone, other than her only sister.

“This is not how dating suppose to be. It’s hard for me to see how our future would be, if we can’t even solve our issues now. I can’t see you finding anytime for kids, if we ever even get a chance to have some. Or maybe you wouldn’t even want any. Heck, I can’t even see you have time for me,” Joe pointed out.

With hardened eyes that carry trace of tears, Annabelle asked coldly, “So you want me to choose between you and my sister? Is that it, Joe? Is that how eight years of relationship boil down to?”

“It’s only five years that we really dated and loved each other, Annabelle. The rest don’t belong to us. Ann, I love you still, but I really can’t. I can’t continue with a relationship like this. I’m tired,” Joe weakly admitted.

Nodding while holding back tears, Annabelle briefly replied, “Fine.” She stormed to the bedroom door and hastily swung it open. Once she stepped out of the hallway she hear echo of sobbing down the hall toward Isabelle’s room. Her heart sunk to hear her sister cry. She shot her angry eyes back into her room at Joe, before she quickly dash down to Isabelle’s room.

Annabelle tries to turn the door knob, but she found out that it was locked. “Belle? Open the door for me,” she gently told her sister. After hearing no response, she knocked on the door, “Belle, everything is okay, please open the door for me.”

A few second later, Annabelle hear sniffling and the door slowly unlock. She quickly opened the door to reveal that Isabelle was sitting right behind it. Annabelle pulled her sister up and dried her tears. “Don’t cry, Isabelle. Don’t ever listen to a word he say,” Annabelle calmly said, but deep down she wanted to release her emotion so badly. She felt suffocated and needed to leave this place. Therefore, she grabs her sister’s hand and pulled her along as she rushed out her flat.

“Belle, don’t go,” Katie’s voice echoed loudly and slowly died down when Isabelle and Annabelle ran out of the flat.

The fast pace of Annabelle and Isabelle’s footsteps scuttled down the long stairway until Annabelle felt exhausted. Brakes to a complete stop, Annabelle slowly bent her sore legs to lower herself down to the step. She dug her face into her folded arms, but still she stubbornly wouldn’t let her weak side out. Isabelle silently stand with wordlessly still eyes on her sister’s back. Like the past three years of silent, Isabelle didn’t spoke a word to comfort Annabelle’s suffering. Seeing her sister like this made Isabelle eyes tears up with guilt.

Forbidden herself to shed a tear, Annabelle melancholy turned to face her younger sister. Gazed deep into Isabelle’s watery round eyes with her hurtful one, she gestured Isabelle to sit by her side on the step. Her eyes followed Isabelle, whom obediently settles down next to her.

After settled down, Isabelle emptily stares straight ahead at the stairway below instead of her sister. She doesn’t know how to react to Annabelle, since she know it was all her fault that Joe is so angry with Annabelle.

On the other hand, the sight of Isabelle’s coldness made Annabelle heart achingly filled with guilt and also ireful. Annabelle use to be so hopeful and definite that she is able to change Isabelle behavior as long as she is patient and loving enough, but now, her confident had been wobbled. “Why you still hate me so?” Annabelle soft questioning voice lingered. “I know, we had been lost for many years, but couldn’t you see that I truly cared for you? You know I had given up daddy’s business just to have more time for you…and now even Joe…” Annabelle voice became more tears as she muttered.

Those few words cause Isabelle’s heart to wither with sorrow. She glanced over to her sister then returned to the plain vanilla wall of the stairway feeling a bit shaky. A drop of her tear slowly trickled down her cheek. Her eyes carry glistering tears like she have so much to tell but she could not. Her emotion felt so mixed up that she doesn’t know what to do. She mouthed several time trying to force herself to apologize, but in the end nothing came out.

Seeking comfort, Annabelle leaned over to rest her head upon Isabelle’s lap. “I’m sorry,” Annabelle whispered feeling sinful. “I know that you’ll never forgive me, but will you please just talk to me again, just one sentence, just one word?” pleaded Annabelle.

Silent, silent was all that Annabelle could heard, which triggered her tears to run freely. Hearing Annabelle soft sobbing, Isabelle slowly raised her hand to gently pat her sister’s shoulder. That simple gesture of care help vanished a bit of Annabelle’s tears and also relief her guilty conscience.

“Thanks. I’m sorry to make you sad. Don’t worry Belle, no matter what, I’ll never leave you behind. We will move away from here, away from all these cruel people,” promised Annabelle as she wonders where would be the perfect place.
    07/02/04

wow, this is great. even though i hate louis koo but this is great writing. keep updating

Default Chapter 4: Welcome…

Thanks for reading and for commenting SkineePanda.

---chapter’s characters---
    Ivan Yip= Louis Koo
    Phil
    Annabelle Ling= Annie Man
    Isabelle Ling= Myolie Wu

Classical music of Mozart is played softly, but triumphantly in the largest office of the city. On the green tinted glass wall, a slight reflection of a small glass of scotch on rock is gently swirling. Transparent liquid strands from the melting ice slowly blended in with the tonic. With thousand questions to ponder, Ivan hummed to the music. His glass of Scotch stopped whirling when a knock is audible.

Business groomed, Ivan, whom is the vice president of the company, turned toward his office doorway. “Come in,” his steady voice ordered as he reached for his remote to tune down the music.

“Mr. Yip, Mr. Phil had arrived,” announced his secretary, whom walked a late-fifty-years-old lawyer into the office.

“Ivan,” the old man voice joyfully trailed after the secretary.

With palm gesturing the man to sit, while eyes signaling his female secretary to give them privacy, Ivan shined his charming smile along with his sharp eyes that could easily convince people of his ambition. “Uncle Phil, please have a seat. Care for some scotch or maybe gin?” he spoke with respect, but Phil knows his level of respect isn’t too deep.

“No, my doctor said my heart is getting too old for those. I’ll be fine, as I am, Ivan,” said Phil as he settles down. Phil pulled his handkerchief out to start wiping his sweat from his forehead, chubby flushed cheeks, and under his double chin.

Seeing the old man looking so worn out made Ivan slipped a faint chuckle of amuse. He turned his luxurious leather chair around to face his visitor before he sat down on it. He returned to play with his glass of scotch by swirling the ice cubes in circle. “Uncle Phil, please do tell me, you have good news,” his calm, slightly warm tone requested.

“Oh, no need to worry. Ms Ling had agrees to your three proposals. I had them all signed here,” assured the old man as he dig for them in his briefcase. Ivan weren’t that worry about his proposals, since he knows Ms Ling will always sign for whatever he asked for. “Sorry that I made you waited for me. We kind of lost track of time during the house hunt. Well, more of a hunt for isolated mansion,” explained Phil in a laugh.

“Uncle Phil, you’re moving…”

“Oh, not me, son,” answered Phil. “It’s Ms Ling. She wanted to move to a more peaceful and quiet place with her sister. They had been having some problem lately.”

“They are moving?” Ivan asked in surprise. Phil nodded to him. “I see. Are they planning to sell their flat?”

“Nooo,” Phil replied with his head shaking, “That flat is too meaningful to Ms Ling. That’s where most of her childhood memories lie. When her parents die, she rather sold the mansion they were living at the moment to move back to the flat. The flat seem to be the only place that could give her comfort for those years that she had lost her parents and sister. Now her younger sister had inherited the place, Annabelle would never sell it out even if she had to sell the company. But her sister is everything to her, even more than the flat now. The only reason for her to suddenly move is because she wanted to find a place more suitable for her sister. I guess she no longer needs the flat’s comfort, since she is no longer the only one left.”

Ivan just kept nodding with his lip slightly curved up knowingly. “Had Ms Ling found the place yet?” Ivan asked with plan starting to sketch.

“Oh no, not yet. She is quite picky when it comes to her sister. She want a place that is really quiet, which is kind of hard to find in a city.”

While Phil informed as he gather the documents, Ivan mind quickly clotted up with ideas. He had never met this Ms Ling before, even though he had been handling her share of the company too.

It was their grandfathers that first started this company together. Ivan’s grandpa was the president of the company and had done many successful improvements with the company. Even though Yip Ling Cooperation belongs to both family equally, but to many people eyes back then, it always seem like Yip Ling was powered by the Yip. But ever since Ivan’s grandpa retired and handed the business over to his son, matter had changed drastically.

Ivan’s father was never meant for business. His father had lived the life of a wealthy man since birth, therefore does not know how to cherish and control his wealth and power. As the company develops and heightens in status, the company power slowly drains from the Yip to the Ling, since his father had sold 20% of his company share piece by piece to other shareholder in return for favors.

Blinded by pleasure, Ivan’s father never really cared much to who had control of the company, especially since he had grew up and befriended with Annabelle’s father. He doesn’t see what is wrong with handing the power over to someone else while still gets paid enough to enjoy his luxurious live, keeping women, and enjoy the pleasure in games.

After Annabelle’s grandpa passed away over twenty-years-ago, the 50% of the company’s stock was passed down to her father. Unlike Ivan’s father, Annabelle’s father was a very intelligent and honored businessman, who was also humble to his clients and employees therefore he had earned lot of respect. When Ivan’s father had lost a great deal of money during investment, Annabelle’s father tries to buy as much of the stock as he could back because he don’t want to leak it out of the hand of the Yip or Ling. But because the majority of his money was also frozen by investment, he could only buy 5% of it back, which give him the control of the company and become president.

It was because of an accident fifteen years ago that took both Annabelle’s parents live, leaving an inheritance giving her the entire 55% share of the company. Annabelle’s father had arranged in his Will that the company share couldn’t be split during inheritance to insure the status of the company control. Since Annabelle is his eldest daughter, he given the responsibility and control of Yip Ling to Annabelle, while Isabelle gets the family mansion, the old flat, and other materialize wealth.

Since young, Annabelle’s father had also told her that in the future when she needs to pass her inheritance to someone else, she needs to follow three rules. One was that the Ling’s share of the company’s stock must be passed down in whole, without splitting the share. Two was that she must elect a person that is related to her by blood or at least it have to be her husband. Three was that she can’t give her inheritance of the company stock away unless she died.

At the moment of her parents’ death, Annabelle was only thirteen therefore she was incapable of handling a large business like Yip Ling. It was also in her father’s Will that if she was not mature enough to handle the responsibility, than the Yip family could help her take care of the company matter until she reaches the age of twenty-five. And during that period of time, Annabelle’s father best friend and lawyer Phil will be the middle person to help her take care of the legal matter and help her collect her share of the company’s profit.

At the time Annabelle aren’t ready to carry so many pressure, she too was traumatized herself. She had witness her parents’ death and lost her sister on the same day, leaving her alone in a huge business world that add more burden to her guilt. Most of her time was spend looking for her sister and learning business. No matter how much she had hated business she forced herself to be mature and took responsibility. She forced herself to major in business instead of art, which she had love since young. It’s also because she had to be independent at a very young age that causes her to become strong willed, independent, stubborn, and aggressive.

Even though she was arranged to take over Yip Ling on her twenty-fifth birthday, but in the end, because of Isabelle, Annabelle had decided to let go of the company. She continues to request Ivan to help her with the company matter, but since the majority of share belongs to her, she had to approve all projects. Therefore she had appointed Phil to continue to be the middle person hearing Ivan’s request and bringing her documents to sign. Usually, Annabelle just signs all of his proposals without reviewing them, since she trusted his judgment.

To everyone’s eyes, Ivan seem to have the power of the entire company, since he had control of the 30% from his father and purchased back 15% from the past years, and also the 55% that Annabelle allow him to take control, still this is not what would satisfy the hunger of Ivan’s ambitious soul. He want something that is real, he want true power to control. He knows that whenever Annabelle wishes, she could just get back all her power with a snap of her finger. Ivan wants more at least more than 50% of the company’s share to be under his name and on paper. He wants the company to be under his fingers tip without getting her signature every time he has idea for projects. He doesn’t see how it’s fair that he do all the work while she earn majority of the profit. In his mind, Annabelle is a fat greedy pig that is waiting for him to slaughter.

“Ivan?” Phil called when he realize Ivan wasn’t listening. Ivan gave him a smile after his attention return. “What’s on your mind? Another wild projects? Which company is it this time?”

Tapping his index finger on his glass of scotch, Ivan shook his head, “Actually no, I just thought of a wonderful mansion that might interest Ms Ling.” He finally said after debating whether or not he should sold the place his father and grandpa had told him to stay away.

“Really? Where is it at? Who does it belong to?”

“It’s in a rural land nearby. Quiet and peaceful enough since the property expand with the radius of three blocks. It even have its’ own name called Vinea,” lured Ivan.

“Oh, that sounds like a classic mansion. What would be your price for it?” Phil asked.

Ivan gave him a smile as he shook his head, “Let not talk about money now. It’s too soon. We’ll talk about the price for it once Ms Ling is happy with it.”

After a few second of thought, Phil suddenly remembered, “Vinea? The mansion that belong to your grandpa?” He curiously wonders, since he had heard lot about how beautiful Vinea was.

“Yes, the mansion belongs to my grandpa. He designed it and built it for my grandma a hundred years ago. My father grew up there and it even got remodeled the year before I was born. Too bad I didn’t get to live or visit there yet. I simply had no time. My father did mention it was the best place anyone can afford. I had seen pictures of it. That mansion and its’ garden could surely amaze any eyes. But still he decided to move back to the city to look after grandpa’s business. Or should I say father like more noise,” Ivan paused to slipped his grin showing those handsome faint dimples.

With a gulp of his tonic, he continue, “Even though we hadn’t return to it for thirty-three years, Vinea is still being maintained on a daily bases by a dozen of servants. The mansion is very important to us, Yip, therefore I had even promised him and my father that I will never sell it out. But I don’t see why I should leave it isolated like this for years to come. I’m too locked up by business that I could never see myself living there. I don’t want such magnificent mansion going to waste either.”

Ivan smiled handsomely, but if anyone would look deep behind his eyes, they would find a craving soul that is thrust for his prey to take his bait. “Therefore I’m willing to make an exception if Ms Ling is interested, but with one condition, which is that all servants stay with the mansion. I don’t think that would be an issue. I’m sure Ms Ling needs helper to take care of that large of an area anyway if she decided to keep the house.”

“She would love the idea that it’s remote. She had been stressed because of her younger sister having problem socializing. She was hoping to find a quiet place so her younger sister could feel at ease,” Phil told Ivan. Ivan grinned knowingly as he nodded slightly to Phil. Ivan is positive that the mansion will be able to captivate Annabelle interest. “I bet this mansion of your might capture their heart. I’ll need to talk to her about it. Maybe it’ll be better if I drive her there for a look. Would you mind, Ivan?” asked Phil.

“Of course not,” Ivan smiled slyly. He gulped down the entire glass of scotch before he continue, “She is free to look as long as she want. I bet she’ll fall in love with it at the very first sight.”
    -----

It was a five hours drive toward north to get to Vinea from the city. So far Annabelle is pleased with the roadside scenery, since it seems like endless green field. Their father’s dearest friend is the driver. He told all that he heard of Vinea to Annabelle, whom sits next to him in the front passenger seat. In the back seated Isabelle, whom had reluctantly agrees to come along. She draws herself comfortably leaning against the car’s window humming softly in her mind. In her arms she cradled her black sheep. Her eyes had been closed since the minute she enter the car. She wishes to hear nothing and see nothing.

Every once in a while Annabelle turns to check on her sister. A soft smile always appeared each time she sees Isabelle being relaxingly calm and humming cheerfully. ‘Hope this will be our answer,’ she thought to herself.

Annabelle had been too tired with life’s disappointments. She wanted a worry free place to rest her mind. A place where no one will criticizes Isabelle’s behavior. A place where time is free for her to gains more understanding of Isabelle’s muteness in order to help her. A place where nothing remind her of Joe or her parents.

Unlike most female of her age of 28, Annabelle priority concern is not love or career, but its’ Isabelle. It hurt to felt the end of her relationship with Joe, since they been together for many years, but somehow the pain she felt doesn’t torn her heart for long. Maybe it’s because she never truly handed her heart to Joe to begin with.

“I think we are here,” Phil exclaimed as he turned left onto a pebbled small road. Annabelle curiously looked around. There is no house or people anywhere in sight. The pebbles road seems to lead down toward a distance large tree. But that so called tree slowly transform into a gated mansion as Phil drove down farther. Annabelle mouth slowly opened as she gasped her breath to see this magnificent mansion. It’s huge beyond her imagination, but it also looked old and rustic like no one had visited for years. Built in grayish black stone with blossoming vines creeping upon its’ walls and windows, this gigantic mansion stood tall and proud.

“Belle, could you believe that there is such house exists?” Annabelle asked with amazement. She was raise in a rich family and had lived in huge mansion and luxurious flat, but none looked as mystic and classical as this. This mansion look like it came right out of her childhood fairytale book.

Curious to her sister’s awing voice, Isabelle eyes finally opened to peek out the car’s window. She gazed up with her expression daunted by her sight. By the look of this tall dark building, Isabelle had a feeling of unease. She felt like she isn’t supposes to be here. Her gut feeling told her that this is the place that she was warns to stay away when she was young.

A faint smoke appears on the east chimney, bringing this visually isolated mansion some warmth to the eyes. As Phil drove closer, Isabelle eyes unnervingly climbed the tall wall looking at those large windows. Those huge windows are crisp clear allowing her to peek into the shadow of the room behind patterned curtains. The room was the highest one of all allowing its’ owner to oversees everything below. Isabelle leaned back on her seat not daring to take another look of the mansion. She pulled her hands up to cover her ears tightly and also shuts her eyes firmly close.

Meanwhile, Annabelle was joyous. There is something about this mansion that charmed her liking. As Phil drove, her eyes followed the pebbled pathway that lead up to the mouth of the mansion, where a heavy black iron gate ended their ride. Each carved spoke of the iron gates with sharp arrowhead tip stood at least fifteen feet high guarding the mansion from trespasser. Each spiraled iron spoke had detailed engrave design of grape’s vine, giving the mansion a classical touch of elegant.

Hundreds years old willow trees grow right next to the gate; each separated from each other at about ten feet away. Those huge trees seem to form a barrier for the mansion with their shades.

Right when Phil’s car pulled up in front of the huge closed gate, Isabelle eyes instantly popped open alertly. Her ears twitched when she hear a low voice echoed “Welcome,” from a distance. She looked around the huge gated mansion for the source, but there was nobody nearby at all. Isabelle made her reality check by studying the reaction of the two accompanying her. From their expression, she knows that she was the only one that heard it. The fear of the unknown waiting for her sent shiver down Isabelle’s spine.
    07/06/04

Sneak preview of next chapter:

A sudden loud pounding of her window startled Isabelle to jump. “Ah!” she screamed when she turned to face her side of the window to see a dark figure standing there with his palm wide spread on the window, pounding on it fiercely. She couldn’t see him clearly since his face is under the shadow of his jacket’s hood. Isabelle eyes are locked into his mysteriously deep one. All she could sees was the faint reflection of herself from his pupil and nothing else but dark shadow of his face. After a few seconding of staring at each other, the stranger stopped pounding on her window. His eyes are still on her like he hadn’t seen a human being for years. His eyes are so still and sharps that she felt he is looking deep into her soul.

Cool, Kay's new story!!! I haven't started reading this yet. But the poster looks very interesting though. It's probably gonna be as good as The Other Soul, right? Well, c ya, I'm gonna start reading now.

Default Chapter 5: The Mansion of Secret

Hey jeh, nice to see you around again! Thanks for checking my fanfic out. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as The Other Soul

Right when Phil’s car pulled up in front of the huge closed gate, Isabelle eyes instantly popped open alertly. Her ears twitched when she hear a low voice echoed “Welcome,” from a distance. She looked around the huge gated mansion for the source, but there was no body nearby at all. Isabelle made her reality check by studying the reaction of the two accompanying her. From their expression, she knows that she was the only one that heard it. The fear of the unknown waiting for her sent shiver down Isabelle’s spine.

“Hmmm… Ivan told me he have a dozen servants here to maintain this mansion, so where are they?” Phil pondered out loud as he put his car on park.

Still admiring the mansion, Annabelle absentmindedly whispered, “They probably didn’t expect visitors.” This mansion had captivated all of her attention. She quickly opened the car’s door and stepped out to stretch her sight. This grand mansion looked like a piece of historical cites, which Annabelle thought should worth a great deal in the market. She dug down to look back into the car at Isabelle as she encouraged, “Belle, it’s beautiful out here. You want to go look around with me?”

Hearing the muffling sound of her sister’s through her covered ears, Isabelle shook to Annabelle’s question without removing her hands from her ears nor did she opened her eyes.

Annabelle is a bit worried to see her sister behavior. She doesn’t understand why Isabelle always gets so nervous and act strangely when she goes out to new places. “Belle, there is noting to be afraid of. There is no need to be shy. There is no one around to bother you,” Annabelle assured thinking that Isabelle is acting this way because she is shy. With a sigh, Annabelle nodded to Isabelle stubbornness. “Alright, you stay put here. I’ll be back very soon to get you once we get someone to open the gate for us,” said Annabelle. She walked off with Phil following right after.

The crackling sounds of tiny pebbles rubbing against each other were audible with every footstep of Annabelle and Phil. “Oh, Ivan really didn’t lie about this place at all. This place is breath taking,” commented Phil while wiping his sweat under his chubby chin and also his forehead.

Once Annabelle reached the gate, her hands reached out to grab the iron spoke of the gate. The coldness of the blackly painted iron sent a creepy quiver through her body. “Hello?” her calm crisp voice echoed passes the gate. There was no reply other than the fluttering of birds causing those heavily branched willow trees to sway. “Hello?” she bravely repeated again. “Is there anyone here to get the gate for us?” Annabelle hollered louder. Her voice seems to echo endlessly causing more birds to flee for their live.

After her echo die everything settles and the deep silent return. Annabelle’s eyes curiously look beyond the heavy gate. Her vision followed the pebble driveway that goes pass the gate and end at the front door. In front of the mansion she saw a dried up fountain about ten feet in diameter. In the center of that deserted fountain is a statue of two cupids tilting a vase-like pitcher.

“I’m going to walk around to the back,” Annabelle informed with her mind already lost. Phil nodded and started to walk around the other side.

Curious with the enchanted place, Annabelle followed the iron spike, while she peeked into the garden. She saw octagon-shaped red bricks set on the ground as stepping stones. Filling the gap in between those stepping stone are tiny white pebbles. They form pathways leading to the mansion, garden, driveway, backyard, and even to the white swing that is beneath the wooden gazebo. Tendrils of vine hook tightly upon every open space between the checkerboard designs of the gazebo’s roof. With a pleased sigh of admiration, Annabelle ‘awed’ in her thought as she continued her path of discovery.

Meanwhile in the empty car, Isabelle watches the two parts their separate way. Her eyes followed the back of Annabelle until she could no longer see her. She gulped when she realize that she had been left alone now, with no one but her eerie heart. Looking through the windshield curiously, Isabelle round eyes study the soundless mansion. It seems as if it were asleep for century. Bravely, she released her hands from her ears to listen, but oddly to her surprise there were absolutely no noises coming from the mansion. This discovery made Isabelle uncomfortable, since it’s very unlikely for a home this big to have no soul.

A sudden loud pounding of her window startled Isabelle to jump. “Ah!” she screamed when she turned to face her side of the window to see a dark figure standing there with his palm wide spread on the window, pounding on it fiercely. She couldn’t see him clearly since his face is under the shadow of his jacket’s hood. Isabelle eyes are locked into his mysteriously deep one. All she could sees was the faint reflection of herself from his pupil and nothing else but dark shadow of his face. After a few seconding of staring at each other, the stranger stopped pounding on her window. His eyes are still on her like he hadn’t seen a human being for years. His eyes are so still and sharps that she felt he is looking deep into her soul.

“Belle, are you alright?” concernedly echoed Annabelle’s voice from a distance.

The man blazing eyes shifted toward Annabelle’s voice. He glanced back at Isabelle’s fearful face before he quietly rushed toward Annabelle’s direction.

Hearing her sister cried, Annabelle ran quickly back to the car. Her sprinting pace slowed down to a complete stop when she saw that same man Isabelle saw. “You live here?” Annabelle unnervingly asked after clearing her throat in her mind. Annabelle examines his feature. He was in black from head to toe. His head was covered with the hood of his black jacket, keeping his head in the shadow. His face seems to be hidden behind some metallic or porcelain mask because Annabelle couldn’t see his feature other than his pair of eyes that didn’t look directly at her.

He didn’t reply at all. Instead he soundlessly studies her while wondering why there are so many visitors. Slowly, he slightly raised his vision to motionlessly look at Annabelle’s face. His eyes became more focus and froze upon her feature. The sight of her had taken his voice away. Never in his life had he witness such elegant beauty. Her natural creamy light skin tone, her perfectly thin rosy lips, her attractive vivid eyes with soft fine curved lashes, her shiny long soft hair that cascaded three inches below her shoulders, and the fact that she don’t uses makeup, made her seem beautifully pure to his eyes. His dark chocolate eyes gazed into her eyes.

A bit frightened by his still eyes, Annabelle took a step back. She was right. He is wearing a solid black porcelain mask that shine a reflection of her when the golden ray of the sun hits it surface. The mask covered the lower half of his face, right below his pair of cold eye, but it didn’t totally covered up the dry wrinkled marking of his facial scar by his right temple. Not being able to see his face from behind the mask made Annabelle felt even more fearful of him, since she don’t know how deformed his face really looked. He seem very mysterious and dangerous to her. “Who are you?” Annabelle repeated her question after seeing his still eyes continuously kept on her unmoved.

“Shouldn’t I be the one who ask you that question?” he finally replied, but with a very low and hoarsen voice that trailed with hollowness. With one last glance into her deep eyes, that show curiosity and fear, the guy’s face darkened at her unwelcomingly before he turn to walk away from her. Somehow he too felt fear and discriminated from those set of frighten eyes of Annabelle that were upon him. Such beauty will never belong to him, he had learned since young.

Annabelle silently gathers her courage to continue with her question while following close behind him, “Do you live here? Are you a servant of Vinea?”

“Leave. Vinea does not open for visitors,” his scarred deep voice unwelcomingly said.

“You do live here then,” Annabelle concluded. “Haven’t your employer, Mr. Yip, told you that I’ll be here to look at the mansion?” She suddenly panicked when she recall Isabelle’s scream. “What did you do to my sister?” she angrily accused. He did not answer her nor did he turn around to glance at her. He just kept walking back toward the front of the mansion with disappointment that like everyone else, Annabelle judged him by his appearance.

“Maxim!” a very loud holler of an old lady sounded. She had opened the front gate for Phil to enter. “Young Master Yip just called this morning telling us to be prepares for visitors. They are here to see the mansion,” she explained.

“Annabelle, this is Mrs. Leung, the head maid of Vinea. Maxim is her grandson,” explained Phil, whom just knows about their relationship. He is curiously studying Maxim’s hidden feature. “Come, let go in for a look,” Phil barely audible voice told Annabelle.

Annabelle nodded. While the two servants lead Phil into the front garden, Annabelle head back to the car for Isabelle. “Come on Belle, let go in for a look. This seems like a nice place, except for that strange servant,” Annabelle reached her hand out for her sister.

Hesitated, Isabelle followed along. She too is a bit curious to what soul this mansion withheld. Right when Isabelle was ready to follow the pebbles path, Annabelle pulled her elbow to bring her back. “Belle, your sheep,” Annabelle reminded with a chuckle, “You never leave your sheep behind. You must be really amazed by the mansion too, huh?”

With a frown hanging on the corners of her lips, Isabelle shook her head. She cuddled on her black sheep once Annabelle gave it to her. Annabelle just chuckled at her childish behavior. Her sister sometime seems so mature, but at other time, she is just a child. She held her hand out to gesture Isabelle to hold it. At last the two sisters followed the fading trail of whisper and entered Vinea, the mansion of secret.

“Please excuse our delay in welcoming you, Ms Ling,” kindly apologized the late-seventy-years-old housemaid. “Please do excuse Maxim’s manner too, it’s my fault. I was too busy with shinning every spot of the mansion since this morning that I had forgotten to inform him about expecting visitors,” she humbly explained and nudged her grandson, “Maxim, you odd to apologize, dear.”

Her grandson did nothing but slightly nodded his bow to Annabelle as a “sorry”. Mrs. Leung shook her head at her grandson and quickly apologize again in a cheerful laughter, “Sorry Ms Ling, Maxim had always been shy, since birth. He hardly ever talks to anyone, especially stranger. He really meant no harm at all.”

“It’s alright,” Annabelle finally speak up to ease the old maid’s worry. She turned to smile and winked at Isabelle. “Maybe you two will understand each other more,” she teased in a whisper.

Pouted at her sister’s comment with the tip of her tongue sticking out, Isabelle beamed her curious eyes at the masculine figure of Maxim ahead. She is curious to why he wouldn’t talk either. Is there some deep reason or secret that causes him to be soundless? The way he dress, the expression of his eyes, and the way he look does frighten Isabelle. She couldn’t help but wonder how he looked like beneath his disguise.

When they walked pass the dried fountain, Annabelle curiously asked, “How come the fountain is dry?”

Isabelle too looked at the fountain with interest as they all stopped to take a closer look. Her eyes traced the detail of the creamy gray fountain up to the face of the two cupids. Their feature looked innocent with chubby cheeks and thin smile. Their soft eyes seem to gaze down upon where the water suppose to flow. Their expression made them look seriously in thought.

While her ears hear Mrs. Leung explanation muffled in the background, Isabelle eyes gazed into the eyes of the top cupid with amazement. Those eyes looked so real to her, like it’s looking back at her and into her soul, seeing her every thought, her every fear. Isabelle’s pupils constructed when she thought she saw those stony pupils of the cupid harden at her. She quickly blinked her eyes and took a step backward. She gasped softly and tightened her grip on Annabelle when she notices that the cupid is smiling at her with eyes that are directed at her. Isabelle’s eyes nervously darted at the darken smile and eyes of the top cupid. “Ann,” her quivering voice barely murmured her sister’s name for the first time as she jerked Annabelle arm for attention.

Shocked with surprise, Annabelle’s face brightens up once she heard the very faint calling of Isabelle. It’s her first time hearing Isabelle called her name after fifteen years. With eyes confusedly at Isabelle, Annabelle wondered if she really heard it right. Her lips begin to curve heartwarmingly as she became more certain. Annabelle hopingly asked, “Belle, did you just call me? You say ‘Ann’ didn’t you?” She looked at Isabelle anxiously wishing that her sister will proof her right by calling her name again.

“She did?” Phil asked in surprise, but since he didn’t hear it, he doubts it being true. Meanwhile the two servants had no clue why they are so excited.

“Say my name again, Belle. I know you did,” Annabelle joyfully requested, while Isabelle gave no response. She kept her wide open eyes at the face of the stony statue of cupids. “She did, Uncle Phil. I’m most definite!” protested Annabelle joyfully, but deep down she too wonder if it was just her mind, since she had always wanted to hear Isabelle addresses her.

Sensing how soundless Isabelle is, Annabelle finally gave her full attention to Isabelle’s need. “What’s the matter?” Annabelle softly asked with worried voice. The last time Isabelle face paled with that scared expression was the time she first set foot into the flat that they lived in.

Isabelle kept pointing toward the cupid. Everyone confusedly examine the fountain with lost eyes to what she trying to say. “Is Ms Ling alright?” Mrs. Leung couldn’t help but asked with curiosity.

“She is fine and you may call her Isabelle or she won’t answer to you,” explained Annabelle. Holding onto Isabelle’s hand tightly, Annabelle called, “Belle, Belle...Belle!” Expressionless, Isabelle slowly turned to face Annabelle. She blinked and returned to dart at the statue, which smiled at her teasingly. Annabelle followed her sister eyes and confusedly looked at the fountain wondering why Isabelle is staring at it unblinkingly. “You don’t like the fountain?”

Shaking her head stubbornly, Isabelle held her sheep toward the cupid, like shield. Annabelle than understand fully to what Isabelle trying to said. Her shoulder slumped in relief as she let out a soft chuckle, “Belle, it’s just a fountain. It’s a bit old and covered with moss, probably because it hadn’t been use for so long, but there is nothing scary about it. Look at it, it’s not a monster. Your imagination is just so wild.”

Isabelle shook her head before she looked at the fountain again. This time, it had return to it original pose. Those friendly innocent soft eyes gazed down while the soft smile lit its’ stony face. Isabelle gulped on the chilliness that she felt. She is positive that what she saw a moment ago is real. It’s not the first time that she sees things that her sister can’t. But what she doesn’t understand is why is she witnessing strange thing without hearing voices first? Unless the ‘welcome’ that she heard was from it.

“See, nothing to be afraid of, right?” Annabelle asked with her head slightly nodding, hoping that Isabelle will do the same for her answer. Isabelle nodded to ease her sister’s worry. Gently, Annabelle brushed her palm on Isabelle’s hair, pampering her like a child. Isabelle bravely took in a deep breath and aspirating it slowly to settle her rapid heartbeat. She repeatedly reminds herself that nothing will harm her on purpose. They are only mean because they are afraid; she kept trying to convince herself.

Curiously, Maxim watches the two interact. He is a bit surprise that a rich charming girl like Annabelle would have such caring heart toward her sister, but most of all, what interest him and his grandma was how Isabelle just reacted. They could easily tell that Isabelle is abnormal, especially through how she behaves, how she hadn’t say a word, and how she walked close behind her sister’s every step.

Smiled, Mrs. Leung questioned mannerly, “Should we continue?” Annabelle nodded, so they begin to walk toward the mansion again. “Vinea had never been this alive before. I mean with so many visitors. Well, deliverymen do come and goes on a regular base with our food and supply, but I wouldn’t consider them as visitors,” said Mrs. Leung with a warm smile displaced at her new guests.

“Really? I would have thought that Mr. Yip would have comes visit once in a while. I would if I have such beautiful place,” Annabelle spoke her mind out loud.

“Young Master Yip? No, his heart is never once here with Vinea. If not for the call he personally made to me this morning, I wouldn’t even heard of his voice before or know that Master Yip had passed away eight years ago,” Mrs. Leung voice sounded sad with mind that wandered elsewhere.

Frowning, Isabelle listened with full interest as she looked around the mansion. She watches Maxim pushed the heavy maple door open to reveal a grand living room that spread ‘awing’ expression on every new visitor. The tall forty feet high ceiling seems so opened that it makes the mansion look spacious and grand. Anxiously, Isabelle listened for sound of the forgotten, but there was none.

“We haven’t had visitor since about 33 years ago, when old Master Yip decided to move out with his son and his unborn grandchild,” said Mrs. Leung, like it just happened yesterday.

“You mean Ivan Yip’s grandpa?” Annabelle asked as she studies the interior of the mansion. Lured, Annabelle set foot into the mansion. Multicolor glistered from the eight feet wide crystal chandeliers, when Annabelle gazed up toward the huge stained glass skylight window, where the Chandeliers hang five feet beneath it. How they are so far up but still looked spotless, made Annabelle curious to how they kept them clean and speck. So far she is totally satisfy with this place. At least she thought it would be a great place for Isabelle, since she did start calling her by name once she got here.

“Yes, Young Master Yip’s grandpa. Back then our Mistress was expected with him,” smiled Mrs. Leung, while her eyes seem to be lost in time and her temple slightly wagered as she recall vivid memory of the day they left.

Meanwhile, Isabelle hesitatingly leaped her foot pass the front door. She expected something to happen, but to her surprise, there was nothing, nothing at all. She senses that something is very wrong. She doesn’t understand or know how to interpret how her heart felt bothersome. She had a feeling that whatever it is, it likes game. Releasing Annabelle’s elbow, Isabelle bravely begin to explore on her own. She is afraid, but she also wanted to clear thing up and get it out of the way, like how she had dealt with Katie in the pass.

Annabelle is very satisfies to witness Isabelle felt at ease to be on her own. She too wanted to wander the mansion to discover it hidden treasure, but a set of footstep distracted Annabelle to turn around. She displayed a friendly smile at a young girl that is about Isabelle’s age, whom is walking toward her carrying a silver platter with three teacups.

“Please have some tea Miss and Sir,” politely offered the sweet young maid with a cheerful smile and round bright eyes.

“Thanks,” both Annabelle and Phil say at the same time.

The young maid glanced toward Isabelle, whom ignored her offer. She was about to head over to Isabelle, but Annabelle informed, “She don’t like tea. Could you bring her a glass of milk or any kind of juice will be fine. What’s your name by the way?”

“I’m Joy,” she grinned happily, while studied the two girls with interest.

Walked up to stand next to Joy, Mrs. Leung introduced, “Joy this is Ms Ling and Mr. Phil.”

“That is a sweet name,” Annabelle complimented.

“Thanks, I’ll go get the milk now, Ms Ling,” she said and hurried away.

“Please excuse her manner, Ms Ling. Joy is the newest one here, she hadn’t learn all the rules yet,” explained Mrs. Leung.

“No need to worry Mrs. Leung, she is perfectly fine the way she is,” Annabelle pointed out. She couldn’t help but wonder how many years Mrs. Leung been a maid here. She seems to be too serious, too mannered, and too uptight with rules. Even though Annabelle been raise with maid taking care of her, never once had she met a maid as strict and serious as Mrs. Leung. Mrs. Leung practically apologized within every three sentences that she spoke. Personally, Annabelle rather not be so restricted by manner and rules. She had always loves to take care of her own need than depend on other.

Walking around, Annabelle stepped up to an old family painted portrait that hangs proudly in the center of the living room. “Isn’t he Ivan Yip? But you say he never been here,” she questioned with lost mind. Annabelle is most certain that the painting of Ivan’s father is Ivan, since she had seen many photo of Ivan in magazine and newspaper articles.

Pushed his glasses higher, Phil shook his head, “No, that isn’t Ivan. It’s his father, William Yip. Ivan looks exactly like his father, if not for their personality.”

“Really?” Mrs. Leung interestedly asked because she had wondered how Ivan looked like after hearing his voice this morning. Her eyes took a glance at the painting to join her guests’ interest. Joy walked out with the milk. She stood silently aside to listen as she searched her surrounding for Isabelle, but she fail to found her. Politely, she waited rather than barge in on their conversation. She too looked at the painting with a proud smile. It’s she that is in charge of wiping the golden wood frame of that painting every single day to keep it looking new.

Phil nodded, since he knows a bit about both the Ling and the Yip’s family. “I could tell the different between Ivan and William by their eyes. Ivan had this eyes that is very intimidating, which his father lack. Plus I could recognize Mrs. Yip here; she is a beauty of her own,” commented Phil with finger pointed toward a woman that stood gracefully next to Ivan’s father. “Here is old Mr. Yip and the one sitting next to him must be his wife. But who is this pregnant female standing next to William?” curiously wondered Phil, “I don’t recall William have any sibling…”

Mrs. Leung sighed, “She is not his sister. She was a maid here that once dream of being a mistress. Only such naïve girl like her would think it’s possible for a master to truly love a maid, if she bears him a son. My, I really shouldn’t gossip about my master’s family in this manner. It’s very impolite and unprofessional of me. Beside, everything had passed so long that there is really no point to bring it up again. Ms Ling, I think you better go check on Ms Isabelle.”

Annabelle puzzled mind on the painting quickly shifted back to reality. “Belle!” she hollered when she notice that Isabelle is no longer with them, nor Maxim.

“She had went ahead to explore the upper levels. No need to worry, I had signaled Maxim to goes after her. He will watch out for her. Ms Ling, why don’t you go ahead and join them. Joy please go ahead and lead them the way. I’ll be with you all in just a while after I go get everyone some bakery…”

“Mrs. Leung, where are the other servants? Ivan told me that he have a dozen maintaining the place?” Phil curiously questioned.

Smiled kindly, Mrs. Leung patiently explained, “There use to be a dozen at the time they left, but now there are only five of us. Not many people would like a job that require every minutes of their time no matter how great the paid are. Only orphan like Joy wouldn’t mind to stay with us old servants. Other than my grandson, Joy, and me, there are another maids and a male servant. Martha is currently cooking in the kitchen; if you would like to meet her, I’ll send her out shortly. As for Tomas, he is around the mansion somewhere doing more repairs. He is quite busy all the time since this mansion is huge and do get a bit fragile due to it age. You’ll probably bump into him sooner or later. Ms Ling and Mr. Phil please do excuse me for a moment. Joy, please led them the way,” the old head maid excused herself while Annabelle and Phil nodded in respect as they followed behind Joy.

“So Annabelle, what you think of this place?” Phil asked after he watches Mrs. Leung exit the room.

Smiled, Annabelle reply with her definite voice, “I think you’ll have to schedule an appointment with Ivan to talk about the price.”

“You really wanted to settle here?”

“I don’t see why not. This place is gorgeous, tidy, quiet, and the servants are passable. Her grandson is a bit too quiet and strange, but it’s also because of his quietness that I like. If he doesn’t talk much then he won’t be bothering Belle, which make him a perfect candidate to look after Belle for me, when I needed his help. Belle seems to like the place too. Not many places could fascinate her enough to leave my side. She even called my name for the very first time. I’m very certain that this is where our answer lies,” Annabelle stated with hopeful eyes as she continue to explore.

Phil nodded understandingly. “I’m afraid that Ivan will ask for a great deal for this place…”

“Money is not my first concern. As long as he is willing to sell, I’m willing to buy,” Annabelle aggressively settled Phil thought.

“I’m afraid that money is not what Ivan would go after. Annabelle, you shouldn’t trust Ivan too much…”

“Uncle Phil, why must we revisit this subject? The way I see it, is that I couldn’t judge him since I couldn’t handle Yip Ling any better than he could. Plus, he is a Yip, I’m most certain that he don’t want Yip Ling to fail,” exclaimed Annabelle. Joy didn’t say a word to interrupt them. She just continues to lead them up the stair.

“I’m not questioning his ability, Annabelle. It’s his ambition that I worry about. He will probably ask for the company’s share for this grand mansion,” Phil voice carried concern. He had helped Annabelle for fifteen whole years and had treated Annabelle like daughter, therefore he certainly don’t want to see anyone taking advantage of Annabelle.

Annabelle paused to look at Phil with a wink, “Uncle Phil, I totally trust and had faith in you to take care of this for us. You know my bottom line very clear.”

Phil laughed, “Yes, but a mansion this huge…”

Glanced around the place, Annabelle added, “Alright, tell him I won’t sell more than 4% of the stock.”

“You are not serious! Annabelle, had you forgotten what your father had said in his Will? I would of sell the flat instead,” scolded Phil.

“The flat belong to Isabelle. Its’ daddy and mommy’s only gift to her, you know I wouldn’t sell it. Calm down Uncle Phil. The whole purpose of daddy’s Will was that the Ling keep control of Yip Ling. Even if I sold 4% of the share to Ivan, I still hold 51% of the share. Yip Ling’s control still belongs to me, and he couldn’t do anything about it,” Annabelle smirked and encouraged her daddy’s best buddy, “Uncle Phil, just let me break the rule just this once. I’m sure daddy would agree too if he is here.”

Sighed, Phil nodded to Annabelle’s request. “I’ll see what I could get out of Ivan,” mumbled Phil reluctantly.
    07/08/04

Default Chapter 6: Awakening

---Two months later---

Victoriously, Ivan smirking smile never faded as he drove his silver Mustang in high speed wounding up the mountain. Even though it was only the first move of his chess game, but he could already taste the sweetness of victory. His speed declined a notch when his phone rings. “Where had you been for the pass three months?” Ivan scolded disappointedly. He knows exactly who the caller is, since this phone is privately just for her.

“What are you up to Ivan? Why you send me here? I can’t believe you sold daddy’s Vinea to her,” the whispering voice of Lizzy heated with disbelief.

Chuckled faintly, Ivan smiled at the bright road ahead, while his mind wandered off with greedy thought. “I see you finally met Vinea and them. Is it as beautiful as what you had imagines? Or is it…”

“Why you sold daddy’s Vinea to her?” Lizzy firmly pressed the question on her brother again.

Pulled his car aside for a rest, Ivan snickered, “It doesn’t matter, Vinea belong to me now.”

“No, you sold it to her! It’s no longer yours, Ivan!” corrected his sister with angry hiss, but she quickly softens her anger to a whisper again, “How could you? It was daddy and grandpa last wish.”

“Don’t worry; sooner or later it’ll belong to us again. The only one you should care about is Ms Ling. Has she suspects you, or has anyone else?” Ivan asked, but he doubts it after hearing report of Lizzy’s progress.

“No, she is not how you think she is, Ivan. Ivan, there is something not right about this place. I kept felt like something is following me. Daddy told me…”

“Lizzy, it’s just a mansion. Don’t forget what you had promised me. I depend on you. The Yip family depends on you,” manipulated Ivan.

A soft sigh was heard from the phone, than finally Lizzy spoke up again, “What should I do now?”

“No need to be impatient. Allow her to explore Vinea for a while first, than I’ll tell you exactly what to do when the time come. You better return to them now, or they’ll suspect you. Lizzy, don’t ever ignore my calls again. I know it may be hard sometime, but you need to reach me back once you are able to or I’ll be worry about you,” Ivan stated.

“Will you really?” Lizzy questioned with emotion. Her impression of Ivan had been wobbled a bit within the three years. She started to have second thoughts about her brother’s character. There is no doubt that he is clever, but she fears that he is too clever that he don’t know how to stop himself.
    ------

Meanwhile back in Vinea, tan moving boxes are scattered here and there. Its’ servants are busily wiping every corner to their new mistress liking. All old gloomy drapes of cranberry and navy colors are ordered to be taken down and replace it with soft silky see-through curtain of white and pastel blue. Large crystal vases of arranged fresh cut flowers cheerfully stood in almost every corner of the main level to chase off the mansion dullness. More modern rugs are spread under the coffee table, the hallways, and up the stairs. Dinning table is set with new placemat along with new gold trimmed china and wineglass. New stainless steel cookware dominated the kitchen’s counter.

Every single room that used to be locked because lack of occupant is now opens to welcome their new owner. Maids rushed in and out of each room to pull white flat-sheets away from bed, sofa, bookcases, desk, mirror, and other furniture that had occupied the room for a century. Furniture is rearranged so they fit better into their lifestyle. Dusts are scrubbed away into wet cloth leaving behind shinny polished oak furniture. The fumes of cleaning detergent made each room give out the aroma of pine.

Annabelle had instructed her servants to replace all old style bedding and comforters with new one that she had purchase. Like the huge windows of the main level, she wanted all the heavy curtains of all rooms to be taken down and replace with one that are lighter in color. She instructed Mrs. Leung that she wanted all curtains to be pulled back and all windows to be opened during daytime to welcomes light and fresh air; only at night would she allow them to be drawn close.

With two moving men, Maxim helped unload all of Annabelle’s and Isabelle’s belonging into the mansion. As for Tomas, Annabelle had requested him to scrub off all the mosses from the fountain and bring it back to life. Once it’s clean, she will free her Kois that she had brings with her from her flat.

“Ms Ling, let me help you with those,” offered Joy with a friendly smile when she saw Annabelle walked pass her with a stuffed leather portfolio, several wooden cases, and a wooden easel.

“I’m fine, I got it. Where had you been? Mrs. Leung was looking for you,” informed Annabelle.

“I went to throw the old curtains away,” politely replied Joy, “And I had answered to Mrs. Leung order. She wanted me to help you out.”

“I rather handle my artworks myself. Why don’t you go carries Isabelle’s two boxes of stuff animals to her room. It’s seated by the living room’s lamp,” Annabelle’s voice puffed as she climbed the stair for the twentieth times.

Cheerfully, Joy nodded, “Alright.”

When Annabelle walked pass Isabelle’s room, she paused to curiously watch what her sister is doing, since Isabelle seems to be mumbling to herself with frustration. It worried Annabelle more when she saw tears begin to spill from Isabelle’s eyes for some reason. Dropped her art material at the doorway, Annabelle knocked on Isabelle’s opened door before she step in. “Belle, are you alright?” caringly asked Annabelle.

Annabelle’s voice startled Isabelle to jump into standing position and immediately dropped her black stuffed sheep, which rolled under her bed. Isabelle quickly turned away to wipe her tears as she shook her head gesturing Annabelle that she is okay. With patient, Annabelle walked up and sat down on Isabelle’s bed. She bends over to pull Isabelle’s favorite buddy out from under the bed. With a warm smile toward Isabelle, Annabelle patted on the bed on the spot beside her. Looked at the black sheep anxiously, Isabelle stepped forward and sits next to her older sister.

Soothingly, Annabelle rubbed on her sister’s back as she softly urged, “Tell me what’s bothering you, Belle. You know I’ll help you take care of anything you needed. Are you missing our old flat?”

Without a word, Isabelle looked at Annabelle with her shaking head, stubbornly cueing that everything is fine. With an assuring smile spread on her face, Isabelle lean over to give Annabelle a quick embrace. She do missed the flat, especially Katie, since she can’t come with her, but there is something else that kept tugging on her bothersome heart.

While Annabelle still skeptically observe her, Isabelle had returned to unpack her belonging and ignore her sister being there watching her. Annabelle let out a very weak sigh, she don’t know what she needed to do to make Isabelle talk to her again. Only if she would have taken her out that day instead of lying to her and left her behind, than they would probably be more closes, Annabelle had thought.

Silently, Annabelle walked out of Isabelle room and headed up to the south corner of the third floor and entered a room that had become Isabelle’s craft room. From that room, Annabelle pulled a hidden ladder down, so she could climb up to a pure white painted room where she unloads all of her paintings and painting material. Mrs. Leung had told Annabelle that this room use to be Ivan’s father thinking room. Mrs. Leung explains that he painted it pure white and installed white ceramic tile so that it help him concentrate. She also told Annabelle that Isabelle’s new craft room use to be an office.

By the time Annabelle had hangs all of her artworks on the four walls of the room, it’s nearly dinnertime. She was about to head down for dinner, but what held her back was the picture of Joe and her just fallen out from one of her painting. Squatted down, Annabelle picked the picture up, the flat line of her lips slowly curved down while her eyes seem trapped in memories. The silent and the soft breeze passing through the window softly ruffling the hemp of the white see-through curtain, made Annabelle felt even more lonesome. She slowly dropped to sit on the cool tile floor leaning back against a high wooden stool as she gazed into the picture.

He is her first boyfriend, whom shared many first time experiences with her during the eight years that they dated. She had no doubt that he will be the one, especially since they are able to survive through college and still be a pair in the end. She had naively thought that with him, she will never felt lonesome in this world and that he will be willing to be with her forever and ever no matter what happen. She was so definite about him that she insisted him to move in with her five years ago. Once she is certain about something, she never cared how other people interpret her decision. She had her heart set to marry him.

To think of it, Annabelle started to realize that their relationship was so concrete and stable that she actually forgotten how falling in love suppose to feel like. They had gotten so use to being with each other that they became like old married couple that couldn’t be bother to share deep feeling by words, therefore expecting each other to pay attention to body language or moody expression.

A drop of tear trickled down Annabelle’s cheek when she questioned how much her words really weight, when she say ‘I love you’ to him each time he leave for work or returns home. She had abused those three words so much that they had become as dull as ‘hello’ to them.

Sniffed to lock in the rest of her tears, Annabelle shuts her eyes to calm her gloomy mood and her headache of exhaustion. Her hand that is holding onto the photo slowly tightened into a fist, crashing her naïve fairytales believe of happy ever after. She pumped her fist so tight that numbness tingles spread on her palm, but each time when a sweet memories of Joe passed her mind, her fist would relax and a regretful tear will leak.

The whiteness of the room made her felt so isolated that she had the greatest urge to bawl her emotion right out. It still felt so unreal that they are no longer a pair. She can’t believe that he would walk out that door the morning after their argument and never once return to say good-bye or see how she is doing. She can’t believe that eight years of dating and trusting someone to be there forever would suddenly doesn’t exist or matter much anymore.

The worst thing is that she felt he made the right choice to end their relationship. She felt so hollow and lost inside as she kept wondering how she had wasted eight years on a relationship that would end this way. She cried not because of heartaches, instead it’s because she is not use to being without him. Exhausted by the move and her loneliness, Annabelle slowly drifted off to sleep.
    -----

Hours later, Isabelle begins to search for her sister, since it’s very unlikely of Annabelle to not check on her for so long of a period. Isabelle walked through the narrow stairway that wounded up to the third floor. Ever step of her movement created a creaking sound of old wood to vibrate down the vacant hallway of the third floor. Glancing at the dark shaded design of wallpaper, Isabelle continues down this empty floor. It was so soundless that she could hear nothing but the softest whisper of winds that fluttered curtains to slightly sway in every room she walked pass.

As patient as Isabelle could manage, she glanced into each room for her sister, but there was no luck at all. Every few minutes she would walk back to the hallway’s railing to look down upon the main floor to make sure she is not alone in this voiceless mansion before she continues her search. She has a very eerie feeling to hear no sound at all. To calm her nervousness, she begins to hum softly to herself as she walked. She purposely ran her fingers along the wooden spoke of the railing as she walks to create some company.

When she came to the end of the hall and made a turn toward south, Isabelle felt a breeze passes by her. Her footstep paused to turn around for a look. There was nothing but a dead end where two walls meet to from a corner. The hallway where she just came from was also empty. There was no window or a room nearby that could explain where the breeze she felt originated. Bravely she continues to walk with head kept straightforward, but her eyes are suspiciously glancing around, while her ears perked up alertly.

Before she knows, Isabelle begins to hear a second set of footstep walking from behind her in a hurry. She quickly turned around with furious alert eyes, but there was nothing, nothing at all. The sound of the footstep died once she stopped walking, returning her to the softest sound of breeze from a distance room. Her hand firmly clenched on her stuffed black sheep as she darted into the vacant hall searching for the unknown.

With a deep breath, Isabelle returns to search for her sister. Within second of her silent walk, once again she begins to hear the sound of another footstep that sounded like it running from behind her. A chill shivered her to know that she is not that alone after all. This time Isabelle didn’t stop walking, she continue to walk and study the sound of the second footstep. She could tell that it had walked along her left side now. “I know you are here. What do you want?” Isabelle firmly asked with her head sharply turned to glare at the empty space of her left. There was no reply, which irritated Isabelle. She wanted it to talk to her so she could at least have the advantage to see it.

It gave her no response other walking by her side making Isabelle a bit inflamed. Isabelle finally stopped walking and shouted with irritation, “Talk to me or stop following me!”

“Ms Isabelle is that you?” hollered Maxim from the main floor. Isabelle heart dropped when she thought it finally talks to her, but it was just Maxim. The footstep that she heard quickly dashed down the hallway causing the wooden floor pieces to vibrate. Isabelle eyes followed the sound and the faint movement of the wooden floor pieces as it disappears down the hallway.

“Ms Isabelle?” Maxim hollered again. Isabelle returned her attention to Maxim’s voice. She stepped closer to the railing to look down toward Maxim, who stood two floors below her. “Are you alright?” Maxim asked with still eyes studying her.

Isabelle just nodded to him and rushed away heading down the hall in a fast pace trying to catch up with it, but it had vanished. Curious to the fact that it would run away like that, Isabelle walked out to look pass the hallway’s railing again. Her eyes are kept on Maxim’s back. He is walking away from her sight. She doesn’t understand why it would be afraid of Maxim’s voice. Is it because Maxim could hear and see it too?

A soft thumping sound caught Isabelle’s attention. She looked into the opened doorway of her new art and craft room. She walked in and notices that the stair up to the isolated white room was opens, therefore she knows that Annabelle must have walked up. With a relieved smile, she headed up to found out that Annabelle had fallen asleep leaning against the wall. Isabelle walked around to check out the room and her sister’s painting. She knows the only common and connection that Annabelle and her have is the love for art.

Quietly, Isabelle walked up to her sister and squatted by her side. She than notice in the palm of Annabelle’s loosens hand is a crumbled photo. Curiously, Isabelle took it and opened it up to reveal that it was a picture of Annabelle and Joe. A frown immediately spread on Isabelle expression. “Sorry,” she softly said to Annabelle, “I hope you are not mad at me. I know it’s not your fault and you deserve Joe’s love. I know I’m the one that causes your problem with Joe. I do really want to talk to you and explain everything, but I really just don’t want you to know too much about them or you’ll be bothered. I know you won’t think of me as a sister if you know what I had done…” Isabelle voice fainted. She quickly turned toward the doorway when she heard a creaking sound of wood.

“You do talk…and quite maturely,” Maxim voice steadily added while his eyes looked deep into Isabelle for a reason. Isabelle heart pounded louder as she darted at him. “Why…” before he could ask, Isabelle had hurried out of the room to not wake her sister up. Maxim dashed after her and pulled her to a stop when they are out in the hall way.

“Let go of me! You’re hurting me!” cried Isabelle with tears dwelled into her eyes.

“Why are you pretending you couldn’t talk?” Maxim puzzlingly asked.

“Please let go of me,” pleaded Isabelle as she twisted her elbow trying to loosen Maxim strong hand.

“What are you up to? Why are hurting your sister in this way?” Maxim asked.

“I won’t hurt her!” offensively shouted Isabelle.

Meanwhile, Annabelle was awoken by the squabbling of Maxim and Isabelle; she hurried out of the room and Isabelle’s art room to get into the hallway. Furiously, she jerked Maxim away and stood in between him and Isabelle, protectively sheltering Isabelle. “What you think you are doing? You stay away from my sister!” Annabelle furiously warned, she than turned to face Isabelle, who are sniffling. She wiped Isabelle’s tears away and demanded for an answer, “Did he do anything to you?” Isabelle shook her head and hides behind Annabelle.

“Ms Ling, I didn’t do anything to her. I found her talking to you when you were asleep. She talks quite well in fact, so I just wanted to ask…”

“It does not matter you if Isabelle could talk or not. I know she could talk. Maxim, you need to remember your position in this mansion. I do not want to see you scaring her like this again,” warned Annabelle, “You heard me?”

A bit defeated, Maxim nodded, “Yes, Ms Ling.”

Default Chapter 7: Original Sight

“Ms Ling,” humbly greeted Joy with a slight nod when she saw Annabelle walked out of her room. In her hands she held a glass of wine that Annabelle requested, and a glass of milky brown fluid. Her smile was so pleasant and heartwarming to Annabelle. She handed the glass of wine to Annabelle.

“Thanks,” said Annabelle as her eyes curiously looked at the other glass in Joy’s hand, “Is it for Isabelle?”

With a nod, Joy smiled kindly, “Yes. I thought Ms Isabelle would like something to drink, since she didn’t have much of a dinner.”

Chuckled softly and sipping on her wine, Annabelle complimented, “You are quite thoughtful and a very hardworking girl, I must add.”

“My brother had always told me that we must work extra hard to get what we wanted,” replied Joy.

“You have a brother? I thought Mrs. Leung said you are an orphan,” curiously asked Annabelle.

With her ever so sweet smile fainted a bit, Joy nodded with a frown, “Both he and my dad passed away when I was young. It was because of a car accident.”

“What about your mom?” curiously questioned Annabelle as she drinks her wine. She had always likes to have a glass of wine before bed.

“She die when I was so young that I couldn’t remember her,” Joy sadly said. She glanced toward Isabelle’s room than to Annabelle with her smile widen a bit more almost forcedly. “I should get the chocolate milk to Ms Isabelle before she fallen asleep,” Joy said as she waited to be excused by Annabelle.

“I’ll go with you,” Annabelle offered and they walked to Isabelle’s room. “Belle, it’s time for bed,” announced Annabelle when she saw Isabelle sitting by the window gazing out the huge dark night. Her black sheep is thrown aside sitting in the middle of the carpet. Isabelle turned to glance at her sister and walked over to her bed obediently.

Caringly, the older sister holds the younger one’s hand with a warm squeeze. “I know you probably couldn’t sleep, since it’s our first night here. Joy brought you some chocolate milk to fill you up. They will probably help you sleep better too,” informed Annabelle.

“Ms Isabelle,” mannerly said Joy as she handed the glass of brown milk to Isabelle.

Slowly, Isabelle brings the glass realm up to her closed lips. As her eyes begins to shut, her lips parted to gulp down the milk. Meanwhile, Annabelle and Joy watches her finishes the milk. Annabelle too finished her wine and handed it over to Joy, so did Isabelle with her empty glass.

After Isabelle is done, Annabelle tucked her in and walked over to pick up her stuffed sheep to place into Isabelle’s arms. “Good night. Don’t think too much about this place. There are no such things as monster or ghost in this world. Sweet dream and I’ll see you in the morning,” said Annabelle with a soft peck on Isabelle’s forehead. Before she left, Isabelle held her hand and gave it a squeeze before she let it go. That gesture brings a smile to Annabelle, because it’s one of Isabelle small cue of love and care.

Softly, Isabelle shut her eyes with her heart fully alert to Annabelle and Joy’s movement. Once she heard their footsteps headed out of the room, her eyes popped open. She looked down at the black sheep in her arm. With a sigh of sadness, she removed it and let it row off her bed. Restlessly, Isabelle turned to lie on her side and gazed at the wall until she felt her eyelids heavy and extremely sleepy.
    -----

Early next morning, Mrs. Leung was the first to wake up to get ready for the day. When she walked out of her servant room and to the living room, she gasped with large eyes at the curtains. Immediately, she rushed to her grandson’s room to wake him up. “Maxim wakes up! You have to take a look. Hurry Maxim, come with me,” she anxiously pushes on her grandson’s arm.

“What’s the matter?” Maxim asked as he stirs.

“Come see the living room,” Mrs. Leung said as she dragged him out. They hurried toward the living room. Maxim eyes became instantly alerted and became puzzled. “The new curtains that Ms Ling ordered to put up are gone and the rugs too. Everything return back to how it was,” said Mrs. Leung as her voice begins to shake. “I knew we shouldn’t change anything. I had warned her about this,” sighed Mrs. Leung.

Then the other three servants awoken and joined the grandmother and grandson. “Who changed the curtains?” Joy asked, “I throw these away already, how did it…” Her voice trailed off when they heard a loud sound of glasses being shattered coming from Isabelle’s room.

“Ms Isabelle!” Mrs. Leung called. She quickly rushed up to the second floor along with the rest of the servants.

At the same moment, Annabelle eyes startled open because of the loud shattering sound. Her expressions quickly drowned by puzzle, since all she sees around her are white drape surrounding her bed. All she could see is faint shadow of distance object behind those drapes. “What kind of joke…” before Annabelle could finish, she was distracted by the servants’ footstep rushing up and Mrs. Leung calling Isabelle.

“Belle!” Annabelle alertly gasped with worry that something had happen to her sister. She quickly scooted to edge of her king size bed and pushed the white drape away. Her heart nervously pounded while she gulped to realize that it was not just her bed that was covered with white drapes; every single furniture is covered with white drapes. They are also pushed back to how they were like when she first steps into her room.

The flowery silky curtain of her room had been replaced with it original gloomy dark patterned curtains. Her room’s curtains and decoration had all disappear, while old drippy curtains and white sheets covered all the furniture, returning her room to exactly how it originally was. Annabelle is lost to what is going on around her.

“Go get Ms Ling!” Annabelle heard Mrs. Leung shouted with urgency from the room next door.

“Belle,” mouthed Annabelle as she quickly rushed out of her room and ran to the room next to her. She bumped right into Joy, who was sent to get her. “What’s wrong with Belle?” she urgently asked while her eyes saw that Isabelle’s room is too covered with white drapes.

The other four servants are all surrounding Isabelle. Annabelle quickly headed up to her sister’s bed, while Joy explains, “We don’t know, Ms Ling. Ms Isabelle had a breakthrough of red rashes.”

The servants stepped aside for Annabelle when she gotten to the bed. Gasped with fright, Annabelle quickly reached out for her sister’s hand. “Belle, wake up,” Annabelle cried as she reached her hand out to feel for Isabelle’s temperature, which is quite warm. The sight of Isabelle with red patches and blister all over her face, limbs, and body made Annabelle both angry and worry. She angrily darted at her servants, especially Martha, “What did I say about keeping everything clean from shellfish? What did you put in last night dinner?”

“Ms Ling, I swear to God that nothing from last night consists of shellfish. I even washed all cookware, china, and silverware spotless to make sure no trace of shellfish being left behind,” Martha said with definite.

“What’s wrong with Ms Isabelle?” Tomas asked curiously.

Rubbing Isabelle’s hand trying to awake her, Annabelle answered, “She is having a severe allergic reaction. Isabelle can you hear me? Wake up, Belle. Come on open your eyes,” pleaded the sister.

Feverishly, Isabelle heavy eyelids opened and close. Her vision is so blurred today that she could only see fuzzy image of her sister. She started to groan in discomfort and pain while drifting back to sleep. She had tried hard to wake up earlier, which is why she had knocked her night lamp off the night table that causes the loud shatter earlier. Her tired body kept putting her back into sleep.

Sighed with relief that Isabelle is conscious, Annabelle asked her servants with a firm voice of anger, “Who idea is it to put up all these drapes and changed all the curtains back to the old one?”

The servants became silenced and glanced at each other. Mrs. Leung stepped forward to speak up, “Ms Ling, I believe none of us did it. As a servant we wouldn’t do such a thing to provoke our mistress.”

“Furniture does not cover themselves with drapes and Isabelle do not just get an allergic reaction for no reason,” Annabelle snapped.

The expression of Mrs. Leung became darken a bit as she defensively reminded, “Ms Ling, I had warn you about making too much change to Vinea. She does not like to be change…”

“Are you telling me that this house have its’ own spirit? Or are you hinting that there is such thing as ghost?” Annabelle hard eyes stilly look into Mrs. Leung with intimidation. Mrs. Leung kept quiet and slightly dropped her head. Annabelle looked at each of her servants with warning, “I’m going to let this insistence go this one time, but let me warn whoever that is behind this to be aware. Even though I had promise Ivan Yip to keep all of you here, but if this happen again, I will take action. You all understand?” Her servants nodded.

Letting the matter go, Annabelle ordered, “Joy go get me a basin of cool water and a large stack of bath towels. Mrs. Leung goes to the medicine cabinet in my bathroom to get a bottle of oatmeal ointment and Belle’s medicine. Tomas pull all the white drapes and throw them all away. Maxim takes all of those curtains down. I do not want to see any of them around, I don’t care if you have to burn it. Then go buy new curtains; I want those that I had chosen earlier. Martha replaces all the cookware, china, glasses, and silverware with new one. Also wash and clean the entire kitchen once again.”

“Yes, Ms Ling,” they all replied and walked out of the room.

While walking down the stairs, Martha walked up to whisper to Mrs. Leung, “Who do you think is behind this? Do you think it’s possibly Mistress Elisab…”

“Shh…” hushed Mrs. Leung immediately, “Don’t talk of her name, I don’t want anymore trouble. I had warned Ms Ling all that I could, but she don’t want to believe, than let her be.”

“If it’s not her, I can’t explain who else would do this. This hadn’t happen since…” her voice trailed off not wanting to bring the subject up. “Mrs. Leung, maybe you should pray and have a word with her, or give her a worship ceremony. She is y…” Martha immediately shuts her month when she saw Mrs. Leung harsh eyes on her. Martha sighed and changed the subject, “What a waste to replace all of the dinning ware and kitchenware. I’m most certain that it’s clean of shellfish.”

“Just do as you are told. She is rich and has all the money to waste,” Mrs. Leung bitterly said, “Unlike Elizabeth poor soul.”

“Who is this Elisabeth, you are talking about Mrs. Leung?” Joy asked.

“No one of the important now child, hurry and go get what you are asked of,” shooed Mrs. Leung.

They all part their way to accomplish their task. Joy and Mrs. Leung returned to Isabelle’s room with water, towel, and medicine. Under Annabelle’s instruction they helped Annabelle apply the oatmeal ointment on Isabelle’s breakout, covered her body and limbs with the slightly cool wet towels and also given her the medicine. That day, Annabelle didn’t step foot away from Isabelle’s room until she sees Isabelle recover from her rashes and that her fever had reduced.
    08/09/04