Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Power of Love

It is the same disease featured in Lorenzo Oil! I guess that's where they got the inspiration.

I'm not sure why it became 38 episodes. Probably they did some editing when the slow pace in the beginning was putting people off. I hope if they ever release the serial on VCD, they will consider making it the full 40 episodes.

They will eventually find a donor. Mary. Though she is a bit reluctant to donate.

But in Lorenzo's Oil, there was no cure, not even transplant or anything BUT consuming or using the oil was enough to stop the illness and let the children lead full and healthy lives. If it is the same disease, shouldn't the oil be of more practical and best cure?
    PointEntertainment @ http://point2e.com [all about Reviews.Comments.Opinions].

Originally posted by Funn Lim
    But in Lorenzo's Oil, there was no cure, not even transplant or anything BUT consuming or using the oil was enough to stop the illness and let the children lead full and healthy lives. If it is the same disease, shouldn't the oil be of more practical and best cure?
    Only if the symptoms have not developed. The oil does not really cure the illness. It only prevents the symptoms from occurring.However, it seems that Yongheng already have the symptoms, so it is too late for him to have the oil.
    Last edited by convoy; 08-27-04 at 05:10 AM.

Any idea wat is the end theme song for the show?

the name of the song is 爱就是这样
    den the singer is Yang Shang Bing~

Funn Lim, Yongheng was given Lorenzo's Oil in the serial. But Lorenzo's Oil is not a complete cure. Lorenzo Odone, the real life person the movie was based on, can only communicate through the blinking of his eye right now.

http://www.myelin.org/aboutlorenzo.htm

Can ALD be cured?
    Unfortunately, there is as yet no complete cure for cerebral ALD. However, there are several methods being tried that seem to slow down the destruction of the disease. One method is the use of Lorenzo's oil and a very low fat diet. Unfortunately, Lorenzo's oil has not proven to be as effective as first thought. Researchers are still trying to understand the complex relationships among fats in the body, and how Lorenzo's oil could be further modified to be more effective.

A second treatment, being tested experimentally, is an anticholesterol drug called Lovastatin. Researchers aren't clear exactly why this drug seems to help, but are working on understanding the processes involved.

A third method for treating cerebral ALD is bone marrow transplant. The idea is to replace cells that have a defective ALD gene with cells that have a normal ALD gene and will break down fats.

As for adrenomyeloneuropathy (AMN), no treatment has yet been developed. If an adrenal disorder like Addison's disease is present, long-term hormone replacement provides treatment.
    http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/ald/a/041301.htm

Some afterthoughts of the serial.

The serial started with an accident and had Stanley and Kara rushing to be good samaritans. The serial also ended with that. It's abit comical.

The whole 风暴 (storm) started with the arrival of Yongheng, and it ended with a story arc on Yongheng.

The scriptwriter really did a very good job wrapping things up nicely in the end. A good script together with good actors, we get good entertainment.

But in Lorenzo's Oil that boy was much too late to be cured at all which is really sad. But he is getting better.

Anyway synopsis for the last episode please?

Wuchang, I like to thank you for all the wonderful screencaps and synopsis, because I didn't get a chance to watch this series and your screencaps helped a lot. I felt like I watched it all. And having downloaded a few episodes, I agree with you that the story is really nothing fantastic or new but the performances were good, most of them anyway. A pity though Esther had to be dubbed because I find dubbed voices a bit annoying and distracting. I also like the fact, and from what i can observe from the screencaps of the last episode, the writer seemed to wrap things up nicely, without anything hanging or as if there's a sequel when there can't be one. A big happy ending which is great because like you I was depressed looking at the screencaps of the 37th episode.

The ending is quite poignant isn't it? I think Yongheng narrated the ending right? I thought I read he saw a mother in Kara, or maybe I misread it. But it's nice to watch a series where a son accepts another genuinely as his mother and vice versa. But in restrospect all those heart ache about (I hope I got her name right) Jiang Yue and Stanley's affair and Stanley's guilt suddenly just disappeared? Probably because they have been through almost death twice and because of Yongheng?

And from teh episodes I downloaded, I really like the children's performances. My favourite though is Coco, she is cute. But that boy who plays Yongheng gave a very matured performance. I wonder where they found these children?

I look forward to watching this series. As nowadays I place more emphasis on performances rather than story, I am sure I will enjoy watching this series as much as I have enjoyed viewing teh screencaps and asking all my persistent questions about the plot.

And yes yes I started this because of my obsession with Shaun Chen and frankly, I think I like him even more.

Thanks again Wuchang for everything. I hope I get your permission to reconstruct this entire series in my website with your sccreencaps. I just wished you have posted bigger screencaps for the first few episodes.

And I am still quite irritated that MediaWorks is not doing anything online to promote this series though I wonder are they doing anything to promote it in Singapore?

When is the VCD coming out, if ever??
    Last edited by Funn Lim; 08-27-04 at 01:28 PM.

hey wuchang, thanks a lottt for the screencaps.
    heh. this series is pretty cliched. i wish they had elaborated more on how yongheng actually safely came out of the jaws of death though.
    mm. but i agree it was quite well filmed, especially the ending. and even though the acting was quite high- brow and serious, adrian pang and quan yi feng really lightened up the atmosphere a lot.
    where can you download the episodes, by the way?
    Last edited by wishwand; 08-28-04 at 12:09 AM.
    -

Thanks Wuchang for all the screencaps!

I am wondering if you have the screencaps for the first 5 episodes...

Thanks!

Actually it was fun making the screencaps. The production crew of "Power of Love" really went out of their way to create a certain look for the show. You can see that the sceneries and camera angles they chose were unmistakenly very beautiful to the eyes. Pure eyecandy at times. Though I just wish they didn't use the Fullerton Hotel as the backdrop for most of the night scenes to death.

Well Funn, you can use my screencaps.

nidive, I only started making the screencaps from episode 7, so what you all see here is all I have. At first I was more concerned with bandwidth issues, ie if the pictures were too big, it might be a pain to come into this thread for those who are not on broadband.

wishwand, you can wish. I don't think you can download the episodes anywhere now. We just have to hope Mediaworks wil come out with the VCDs.

thanks so much for the screen caps!!! shall all of us sms to sph and ask them to produce vcd as soon as possible

Default Songs on this show

Can anybody help me!!!! I like the song on this show that was played most of the time and during the ending credits of the last episode..... can anyone tell me what the title of the song is in hanyu pinyin and who sang it???? Eternally grateful

Main Theme Song: Wo Jiu Yao by Xin Xiao Qi

End Theme Song: Ai Jiu Shi Zhe Yang by ???

Secret Of The Moon ??? Yeah, I love this melody. Is there a complete version out there?

Song:爱就是这样
    Singer:杨尚斌

anybody know the singer to the song "ai jiu shi zhe yang".... anybody know the hanyu pinyin ?

yang shang bin

Last episode synopsis.

SPOILERS !

Mary invites Kara and Yongheng out for lunch. While on their way home, Mary discovers that she has left her handbag back at the restaurant. Kara goes back to collect it for Mary leaving Yongheng behind with Mary. Mary suddenly feels pain in her abdomen she asks Yongheng to call for help. Yongheng runs to find help but due to his medical condition, he struggles at the physical exertion. He finally finds a security guard, tells him about Mary and fainted. Both Yongheng and Mary are rushed to the hospital.

Mary gives birth prematurely and Yongheng is found to be fine,just over exertion that's all. Yongheng is discharged. Kara, Stanley and Yongheng visits Mary and the baby. Frankie has an inspiration after Stanley says something about babies bringing hope. Frankie takes the left over umblical cord blood and tests it for acceptance with Yongheng's blood.Frankie finds that it matches and is exhilarated. Frankie then finds that Mary is an even better donor. He immediately informs Stanley. The family is overjoyed.

Stanley warns Yongheng that before he goes for the transplant operation, he has to be subjected to 2 weeks of chemotheraphy and drug treatment. It will be tough on his body and his immune system will be weak thus the need to be isolated. Yongheng is determined to endure it in order to live and spend more time with the family. Kara asks if there's anything he wants done before the treatment.

Yongheng requests for a family potrait. He remembers that Stanley and Kara had a pact to have another bridal shoot on their 15th aniversary. He likes them to do it earlier. So they go for a photo shoot. Liu Yun and Pauline joins them. Yongheng also asks Kara and Stanley to prepare gifts for his grandparents and Paco and Maggie's baby.

Yongheng treatment starts. Soon it's time for the transplant operation.

Mary chickens out before the operation and locks herself up in the toilet. Frankie is unable to persude her to come out. Kara finds out about the situation and begs Mary to help Yongheng. Mary finally relents.

The transplant is a success.

Pauline visits Yongheng in the intensive care unit. Yongheng takes the chance to persude her to get back with Liu Yun. He says Liu Yun is an important person in his life and reminds her of her promise to take good care of Liu Yun.

Liu Yun and Pauline has a dinner date that night. Liu Yun is going to propose to Pauline. Pauline realises that Liu Yun is going to propose and is reluctant to meet him. Liu Yun makes many calls to Pauline to no avail. He leaves the restaurant. Pauline finally meets Liu Yun next to the river. Pauline reveals that she knows about Liu Yun's intention to propose and says that she missed the dinner and used the time to consider the proposal. She accepts Liu Yun's proposal. She is willing to leave behind her career in Singapore to follow Liu Yun to the US.

Yongheng's condition makes a turn for the worse. Stanley makes frantic attempts to revive him. As everyone is screaming Yongheng's name, the scene cuts.

We then see a concert hall where a children's cancer charity event is being held. We see shots of Stanley and family except Yongheng and Jiale. We then see Jiale alone on stage. However, a healthy Yongheng finally appears.

Yongheng then narrates the ending. He says that during the brief period where he was struggling for his life, he felt that he met his real mother, Jiang Yue. Jiang Yue seemed to have told him she is finally reassured in leaving him in the care of Kara as Yongheng is a real member of the family now.

Paco is enjoying his life as a father surrounded by 3 women. Frankie and Mary are expecting another baby. Pauline and Liu Yun have settled down in the US. His grandparents are becoming more like kids as they age. Kara and Stanley are still as loving as before. Right at the end, we hear the sound of a car crash. Just like the first episode, we have Stanley and Kara rushing to the crash site to help put. We again see Kara removing her high heels to run bare footed. With that, "Power of Love" ends.