Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Power of Love

thanks again wuchang for the screencaps!
    apple hongs character in this series potrays her as such a weak and gullible person. she doesnt seem like someone who could raise a child singlehandedly, from the way she leaves her daughter with the babysitter all the time. yet the relationship between her and her daughter is really close. kinda strange.
    about the pacing of the show, i suppose there must be a reason for it all...
    ll wish*wand ll
    -

Probably she needs to work to earn a living so she leaves her child with a babysitter. Even in reality a child sometimes is close to a mother who even abandons her, the emotional attachment is there.
    PointEntertainment @ http://point2e.com [all about Reviews.Comments.Opinions].

Funn Lim, this is a rough summary of what happened in episode 13. I'm using the characters' names in the series.

Maggie (Apple) was contemplating telling Roy (the jerk) about his daughter Coco. As she was about to bring Coco to him, Roy (Christopher Wee. To convoy, thanks for the name of the actor playing Roy!) called and lied that he was very ill. Maggie rushed to his hotel room without Coco. Coco was upset that Maggie decided not to bring her to see her real father. She called Paco (Shaun) and told him about it. Paco was playing tennis with Pauline (Michelle) at the time. After Coco's call, Paco was distracted and was unable to concentrate on his game. Pauline got upset and ended the game prematurely. Paco apologised and with Pauline's blessings, rushed to find Coco. Paco then brought Coco to Roy's hotel.

Meanwhile, after tricking Maggie into his hotel room, Roy began to make his advances on her. Just when Maggie was about to give in to Roy, the doorbell rang. Clearly irritated, Roy reluctantly opened the door. When Coco saw Maggie, she ran to her and called out "Mommy!". Roy's face turned ashen.

When all was revealed, Roy was stuttering about how it was all too abupt and he was finding it difficult to accept Coco. Paco got impatient and asked Roy point blank how long he intends to take. Maggie then cuts in and declare however long it takes, she is willing to wait for Roy. Paco was incredulous. They then left Roy to think it over. Paco and Maggie got into a quarrel about how Paco handled the situation.

While visiting her mother (who was slightly deranged and thus living in a hospice), Pauline found out that Liu Yun(Cao Wei Yu), regularly visited the hospice and entertained the residents with the keyboard. Pauline questioned Liu Yun whether he was doing it to get into her good books. Liu Yun rebuted that he was not one who did things for ulterior motives.

While Kara (Esther), Stanley (Guo Liang) and kids were preparing to eat out for dinner, Gigi (a reporter) barges into the house with a camera crew. Gigi began to ask alot direct personal questions. Kara and Stanley were clearly upset. Whole thing started because Kara is a DJ, and thus a public figure. Ever since the existence of Yongheng was revealed, Kara's listeners bombarded the station with questions about how she was able to accept Stanley's infidelity. Gigi wanted to capitalise on that and see if she can get any scoop by bringing a camera crew to Kara's home. To test whether Yongheng has accepted Kara, Gigi wanted Kara to pick a score for Yongheng to play. Kara picked the score "Requiem". Yongheng reluctantly played the piece. Later when Gigi finally left, Yongheng ran to a corner of the house to cry.

It turned out that "Requiem" was the last violin piece Yongheng played for his Mom (Sun Li). His mum, while dying on the hospital bed, asked Yongheng to play that piece, promising that she'll get better after hearing it. However, in his nervousness, Yongheng broke a string while playing. Unrelated to that, his mum died at that moment. Yongheng swore never to play that piece ever again.

Last edited by wuchang; 09-26-04 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks for the rather detailed summary. I do wonder about 2 points;

1. how long did it took Kara to accept that little boy and come to terms with her husband's infedility or that it never crossed her mind whether to accept or not accept, that to preserve her family right now she simply had to go with the flow? Is the relationship between that little boy and her a reluctant relationship or based on some love?

2. that relationship between Paco, Maggie and Pauline. From the screencaps it seems that he seems to care more for the single mother than his girlfriend. Did that affection come from that little girl (which means he cared for the girl and so he cares for the mother) or perhaps it's something bigger; that he is actually falling in love with that single mother and thus neglecting his girlfriend? Is it through this mother and little girl that he learned about responsibility (I assume he is an irresponsible playboy) or maybe this series never touched in such deeper level?

3. One more; what was the reaction of family and friends of kara when they found out about the illegitimate son? I don't mean his children but brothers and sisters? Close friends and relatives? Did the acceptance by her children a reluctant acceptance or the conflict has yet to arise since it's still early?
    Last edited by Funn Lim; 07-26-04 at 12:43 PM.

To answer

1) It took around 4 episodes for Kara to accept Yongheng (ep 5 - 8). How many days that is, I can't really tell. But there were lots of crying all round. It was more of a sense of doing the right thing that made Kara decided to accept Yongheng. Especailly since the only kin Yongheng has left in this world is Stanley. However, things are progressing now to the point that there is real love and understanding between Kara and Yongheng.

2) It's a bit of many things. Pauline's workaholism. Paco and Coco's closeness. Pauline's fear of letting Paco know about what kind a man her father is. Paco's growing affection for Maggie. Pauline's growing affection for Liu Yun.

Pauline and Paco will break up in the next episode.

About reponsibility, that part of Paco's character is revealed with the Roy character. Paco is the type of playboy who plays the field but have genuine affections for everywoman he beds. Or so he claims. And I think it's alluded that he is only with one woman at any point in time. ie no two timing, unlike Roy.

3) Paco was the first to know. His advice to Stanley was to hide the fact from his sister. As for the children's acceptance, it is a drawn out affair. Neither of them have fully accepted Yongheng though Jiale is close to doing so.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v310/wuchang/pol-relations1.jpg')

What kind a man was Pauline's dad?

From your summary I think I like the idea that this series takes its time to flesh out the character but I may hate its slowness when I actually watch it!

It's interesting though that her own brother asked his bro in law to hide that fact. I expect punches but I guess modern day mature men rarely punch one another.

Anyway who breaks up with who? I suspect Pauline breaking up with Paco? Do give a summary on this one. I enjoy this part of the story.

By the way nice chart.

Last edited by wuchang; 09-26-04 at 12:04 PM.

Pauline's father is a money swindler. Exactly what great evil he did to her and her mother is not clear yet. But it seems that he regularly extorts money from Pauline in exchange for not seeing her mother. Her mother's slight madness may be due to him.

As for the actual point of breakup, there were no scenes of that. In episode 15, both of them just declared they have broken up in a matter of fact way when questioned. It was foreshadowed in the previous episode. There was a lovemaking scene between the two. But there was no passion and it appears forced for the both of them. In the end they stopped and just laid on the bed, side by side in silence. We were only shown that. The next time we saw them, they were already apart.

Wuchang, I didn't see those scenes in your screencaps? Self imposed PG Rated screencaps?

Anyway still didn't explain why they broke up, but they just did because of reasons not shown. I dislike such abruptness but I can see from the screencaps that Maggie confronted Pauline about this? Is Maggie in love with Paco at all? By the way these few episodes have been about this triangular love, so what is going on with Kara and husband, children and all? Anything new since everybody is getting along? And who is that bearded man I saw in the screencaps? Any relations with any characters in here?

It was too dark, nothing much to see anyway. Besides, it was an anticlimax.

The love faded. There was nothing specific to cause the breakup. It's not abrupt. At least to me it's not. You have to watch it.

I think that's one of the themes of this series. ie love needs maintenance. Pauline was too busy with work to spend time with Paco. When Pauline was finally free, Paco was too busy helping Maggie deal with Roy. Pauline's work invovle producing Liu Yun's (that bearded man) debut album. The growing attraction between Pauline and Liu Yun, Paco and Maggie was shown in many scenes.

As for the rest, there is always a new spanner in the works in each new episode. Everytime a problem is resolved, a new one appears. For eg, Kara and Yongheng are really close now but because of that, Yongheng is telling Kara more about his mother. Kara is starting to compare herself with her. This is causing friction between her and Stanley.

There is still Frankie and Mary.

I'm beginning to like this series very much.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/wuchang/pol-relations2.jpg')

to tell all of you, the sight of stanley
    i think kara is a noble woman~~~ i think this show is wonderful~~~ by the way i think pauline and paco broke up because they each had their own 'target' liao~~~ pauline had liu yun and paco had maggie~~~

can i ask a stupid question??? who do all of you think is the best actor and actress in this show???

Last edited by wuchang; 09-26-04 at 12:05 PM.

Wuchang, where are the next set of screencaps? Eagerly awaiting! Yeah, who are the best actor and actress? No doubt all may name Esther as the best female actress!

Man! You beat to this. I posted this and then I saw the screencaps! Somewhere in this world we are posting at the same time!

Originally posted by estherrulz

can i ask a stupid question??? who do all of you think is the best actor and actress in this show???
    It's a perfectly legitimate question estherrulz. Nothing stupid about it.

I think it would have to be Guo Liang and Esther. This two are very convincing in their roles as husband and wife.

Wuchang, you have gotta give me a brief summary of episode 17!

Originally posted by Funn Lim

Man! You beat to this. I posted this and then I saw the screencaps! Somewhere in this world we are posting at the same time!
    Ha! I had some other screencaps to post so was slightly delayd.

Originally posted by Funn Lim
    Wuchang, you have gotta give me a brief summary of episode 17!
    Alright then. But now I'm wondering will you still watch the show after knowing the plot details?

Wuchang!

Oh yes, if I have the chance I will watch it. The beauty of knowing the plot and then really watching the series is I can then concentrate on well, other details other than plot.

Can I place my orders now?

I WANT! I want more screencaps like those first few ones of episode 17 preview so that I can post them in my website and promote this series more. I still find the promo lacking. Nobody is doing any media files and I am dead curious how Shaun Chen sounds like. Disappointing actually because can't even find decent trailers!

Eh, thanks by the way. I thought your relationship chart was very informative. This series is how long? 40 episodes? Now only 16 episodes and already some characters have been through 2 relationships? I wonder what more is in store?

seems like all of us are depending on wuchang for the news~~~

wuchang, the china fans hope that you can capture more of Esther and Guo Liang picture~~~ can you? just asking~~~

how did you manage to capture these screen caps??? they are clear for everyone to see~~~