Thread: .::.T.h.e. A.b.s.c.o.n.d.e.r.::.

Default .::.T.h.e. A.b.s.c.o.n.d.e.r.::.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v258/huanle/ta4.jpg')

*hey ppl! i decided 2 post my story here, hope u read it and enjoy it! comments will be greatly welcomed!*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 1
    Very Good News and Very Bad News

-The streets of Chang An (the capital), Tang Dynasty-

The sunny midday streets were teeming with busy people. Traders and merchants sold pottery, produce, clothes, and toys while enthusiastic customers wandered around trying to get the most out of their money. Among them were true normal businessmen who wanted to earn a living to support their families and those who lived greedily by bilking others.

An old white-haired man stood behind a tattered and ragged counter covered with a worn-out tablecloth. His clothes were filthy and shabby, but the fresh baskets of fruits atop his counter looked ripe and delicious.

“Fruits, Fruits, Come get your fresh fruits!” the old man yelled out. “Apples are only fifty cents a pound! Oranges are forty cents a pound!”

Soon, a young woman approached his counter. Lustrous raven hair framed a cream-colored almond shaped face blushed with rosy red cheeks. Beneath her long dark eyebrows were two chestnut eyes that glistened with delightful vigor. A shiny silver sword embellished with colorful gems hung from the belt of her silky white dress. An adorable young boy (her brother), bald with only a small patch of hair close to his forehead, followed a few steps behind her. She skimmed the fruits closely and finally picked out a shiny red apple.

“How much is it for one apple, sir?” she asked politely.

“Ten cents,” the old man replied. “Would you like to buy that one, miss?”

The girl nodded and fished out a coin from her pocket. “You can keep the change, sir.”
    She walked off and handed the apple to her brother, who began munching on it ravenously.

Before they got very far, two officers arrived at the old man’s counter.

“Pay up the taxes, old man!” they demanded.

“What taxes?” the old man questioned unsurely. “I just paid them last week.”

“The governor is demanding double the amount of taxes this year. Pay up or else you will be arrested!”

“But I barely earn enough money to make a living. My wife is sick and I still have to pay for her medication.”

“Do you think we care? The governor’s orders have to be obeyed! Now give us the money!”

“I’ve only earned twenty cents today; I don’t have enough to give.”

One of the officers grabbed the old man by the collar and thrust him on the hard dirt floor.

“We don’t have time to waste with you. If you can't pay, then you can no longer make business in the market!”
    He kicked the old man with all his might. The old man let out a painful cry.

“Who do you guys think you are?” The girl, who had seen and heard the whole thing, proclaimed as she and her brother walked towards the scene. “Have you no sense or humanity inside those ugly and putrid heads of yours?”

“Huh! What rights does a measly girl like you have to insult us? You ought to be severely punished!” the officer responded angrily.

“Why, for stating the facts? You all are picking on an innocent and defenseless elderly man; I think you are the ones who should get severely punished!" The girl pulled out her sword and pointed it at them. “Release him!”

“Hahahaha! You actually think you could fight two of us? Why don’t you go home and embroider a flower on that pretty face of yours, huh?”

“No, I think I’d rather embroider two big holes in YOUR face with my sword. Alright now, if you two are fighting material cut the useless nonsense and try to beat me.”

They both aimed their fists at her concurrently. She quickly bent over backwards and dodged the punch. Before they could respond, she jumped up and kicked them both hard in the face, and they collapsed on the ground. Her younger brother jumped onto their stomachs with all his might, causing the two to yelp out in pain.

“You guys fight like a crippled lamb with the hog butt for a face,” her brother laughed.

The girl walked over to the old man and helped him stand up. “Are you alright, sir?”

The old man smiled and patted her hand. “I’m okay. Thank you for saving me.”

“No problem. Lately those crooks have been rampaging this whole city for tax and money.” She reached into her pocket and took out a few silver coins. “Here, take this. Just assume that I bought a whole bunch of fruit from you.” She placed the money in his palm.

The old man nodded and responded gratefully. “Young lady, you have such a kind heart. You will be blessed someday. What is your name?”

“Bai Xue Hua.”

-Li General’s Manor in Chang An, the Main Living Room-

Li General and his wife, Lady Li, were seated in their immense elaborate living room, sipping the hot afternoon tea and waiting intolerantly for their eldest son, Li Xiao to arrive. Li General was a middle aged, medium sized man with a dark heavy mustache and grey hair. Being the best of the eight leading generals of the undefeatable imperial army and the emperor’s closest friend, Li General was the wealthiest and most illustrious man in Chang An. Lady Li was a strict and uptight woman who was fanatical over cleanness, money, and status. She was also very obsessive about reputation and prohibited any “low-class behavior”. The couple lived a lavish and extravagant life, never using a single penny for anyone other than themselves. Servants and maids were always around to wait on them, they had the largest manor in the whole city, and their riches were uncountable.

“Where has Li Xiao gone to?” Lady Li questioned her husband. “I have not seen him all day.”

“That eccentric son of ours has gone riding again in the mountains,” Li General replied in a displeased tone. “I just don’t know how we can control that young man’s craving for freedom.”

Li General and Lady Li were extremely proud of their son. Ever since he was a child, Li Xiao was obliged to be perfect. The best tutors in the country were hired to teach him every subject available: mathematics, literature, calligraphy, history, sciences, astronomy, medicine, and painting. Only the finest and most experienced kung fu fighters passed on their skills the Li Xiao which included fighting with swords, whips, sticks, chains, arrows, and without any weapons. Another instructor specialized in teaching him how to be a gentleman: manners, posture, speaking, listening… You name it, and he’s learned it. Though Li Xiao consumed all his teachings with alacrity, he still had a bit of an outlandish personality which he developed on his own. First of all, he had an unusually massive amount of courage. Although Li Xiao was not a rich spoiled brat, he always stood up and fought for what he believed in.

Second, if he did not approve of doing something, persuasion or negotiation was out of the question. People would think someone with his kind of status and lineage would be docile and compliant, but Li Xiao never flowed with the stereotypes. Unlike the “stay home” rich folks, the place Li Xiao tried to stay away from was home. Within the walls of the Li Manor, Li Xiao’s life was planned and premeditated as if someone had laid a path in front of his feet for him to follow. To him, the outside world was freedom.

Even though he was a bit peculiar and deviant, he still had A LOT of charisma. It could’ve been because of his enchanting smile, tall and muscular built, and his eyes filled with brilliance. Or it could’ve been because of his charming personality: outgoing, generous, and kind. Whatever it was, there was not a person who knew him and didn’t like him. It was because of his attractiveness that many women fell for him, and only ended up with disappointment. Li Xiao was not interested in any of the girls he met. They were too phony and shallow. In front of him, they did their best to act perfect and according to his taste, so he did not truly know their real personalities.

Lady Li took a sip from her porcelain cup and placed it back on the wooden table. “Dear, when do you think we should find Li Xiao a wife?”

“I’m hoping soon,” Li General replied. “He has a high-paying job working as a government official, and he’s already twenty years old.”

“You’re right. We should find him a wife as soon as possible and settle him down.”

“But just look at his unstableness right now. He rarely stays home, how can he take care of a wife? Besides, he’s not even interested in women.”

“Well, that’s only because he hasn’t met one that he likes. Oh, husband, I have a great idea! Why don’t we gather up the most beautiful and talented maidens in this city and invite all of them to a party for Li Xiao? He’s bound to like at least one of them.”

“But what if he likes more than one?”

“That’s even better! He’ll have lots of concubines and lots more children!”

Li General nodded in approval. “However, you must remember to only pick maidens from wealthy and high-rank families. I wouldn’t want a commoner for a daughter-in-law.”

“Dai Nanny, please send some people to find my son. I want to talk to him immediately!” Lady Li directed the Li Family’s head maid, Dai Nanny. She was an elderly, but sturdy and healthy woman who always wore her white-grey hair in a bun on the back of her head. Wrinkles flew through her face like streams, each one a symbol of the years she spent serving the Li household. Her fealty and reliability earned her a part in the family, that was not quite so the average servant. She was respected and honored by everyone, even Li General and his wife.

“Yes, Lady Li,” Dai Nanny obeyed and exited the room. Despite her firm house rules and constant chastisements, she was the one and only person Li Xiao could confide in. She had raised him up from a baby and he was closer to her than to his own mother. Whenever he was faced with problems or tough choices or even secrets, he would seek her aid.

-Beside the river-

On that sunny afternoon, while Li General and his wife were sitting inside four walls and enjoying life under a roof, Li Xiao was napping on his favorite location: under a gigantic willow tree on the soft plushy grass. Tie Dian, Li Xiao’s white and grey horse, was grazing near by.

“Master Li! Master Li!” called out a voice from a distance.

“Not now, I’m napping,” Li Xiao muttered drowsily.

“Master Li! Master Li!” The servant finally reached the willow tree. He was a funny-looking chubby and short man, with a pudgy nose, round potbelly and small pebble-like eyes.“Master Li, wake up.”

“What is it?” Li Xiao strained to open his eyes.

“Master Li, Li General and Lady Li all want to see you immediately. They said they need to discuss an important issue with you.”

“Well, it better not be about that horse-poop incident because it was all Tie Dian’s fault.” Li Xiao slowly sat up and rubbed his lethargic eyes. “Alright, Da Huang. Thanks for coming to get me.”

“Oh, Master Li does not need to be so kind.”
    Li Xiao stood up and brushed the leaves off his shoulders. “By the way, how long did it take you to get here?”

“A long time Master Li, I followed the hilly trail.”

“You know you could’ve taken a shortcut if you had gone through the trees. It would’ve cut your time in half.” Li Xiao smiled and patted Da Huang on the back. He mounted on Tie Dian and grabbed the reins in his hands. “Da Huang, I’ll race you home! JIA!” With a kick of the horse’s side, Tie Dian began to gallop with immense speed and quickly disappeared into the distance. Da Huang wiped the sweat off his forehead and chased after him frustratingly.

-The Imperial Palace, Princess Qing Lan’s Quarters-

“Qing Lan, I have some very good news for you,” the emperor announced to his daughter. He was seated in the special “emperor chair”, an elephantine throne made out of gold and furnished with the softest golden cushions. Every room in the palace had an “emperor chair” in case he went to visit. The emperor, a tall middle-aged man with a long black beard, had power over everything he desired. His kingdom was mighty and prosperous, but he still favored the nobles and rich folks more than peasants.

The emperor constantly spoiled his favorite daughter, Qing Lan, mainly because her mother was the emperor’s favorite (and most beautiful) concubine. Qing Lan looked like her mother’s reflection with large round eyes, long curly eyelashes, and cherry blossom lips. She also knew how to dance and excelled in all of her schooling. The emperor adored her ever since she was an infant, more than any of his other children. The emperor’s admiration and pampering molded Qing Lan’s personality into arrogance and discourtesy towards people she thought were inferior. Still, no one dared to oppose or offend her because she was a princess.

“What good news father?” Qing Lan asked curiously.

“Well, I’ve been thinking of finding you a husband. It saddens me to think of letting you go, but you are approaching the age.”

Qing Lan sighed and sat down beside her father. “I guess so. But I don’t like any of the men with high-status around here. They’re all so ugly and dim-witted.”

“Qing Lan, don’t worry about that. I promise you, you will marry who you want, not who I want. But it is hard to find a man who is good enough to deserve a wife as good as you.”

“Do you have anyone in mind?”

“Yes, he is the eldest son of Li General, my most trusted friend. Have you met him?”

“Oh, I’ve only heard of him. Every maiden in the palace is talking about how handsome and perfect he is. Three of my sisters already want to marry him.”

The emperor laughed. “Don’t you worry, Qing Lan. I will make sure no other woman steals him away from you.”

-The Li Manor, a While Later-

“Father, mother, did you all have some news for me?” Li Xiao asked as he entered the living room.

“Yes, yes, very good news. We are thinking about giving you a wife,” Li General smiled pleasantly.

Li Xiao’s mouth almost dropped to the floor. He was about the scream out a protest, but Dai Nanny, who was standing beside his parents, gave him a “not-a-good-time-to-yell” look. Li Xiao took a deep breath and said in a tone with a bit of irritation, “Oh, father, mother, so soon?”

“Yes, so soon. You’ve been putting this off for too long. We’ve decided you should be married before next month.”

“WHAT? NEXT MONTH? HOW AM I GOING TO FALL IN LOVE WITH A WOMAN BEFORE NEXT MON—” He paused when he saw Dai Nanny’s look again. “I mean, isn’t that deadline just a tad bit too early? Can we postpone it for… maybe… a year?”

“No, Li Xiao,” Lady Li objected. “You are twenty-years old; you are already a few years behind.”

“But-but—”

“Lady Li,” Dai Nanny cut in to save Li Xiao. “I really don’t think we should rush this. Marriage is the most important event in a person’s life, it should be thought out judiciously with wisdom. Besides, Li Xiao is still young. He’s at the age of falling in love. Maybe it would be best if he met a girl he liked and then married her. He might not treat an arranged wife as good as one he truly loves.”

Li Xiao nodded in agreement. “That’s exactly what I was going to say! Please, my dear loving parents, give me a little more time. Please?” Li Xiao tried to put on a pathetic smile.

“Sorry Li Xiao, you are a man now. Those sad childish expressions won't work anymore,” Li General told him.

“Son, we are doing this for your good,” Lady Li added. “Your father and I didn’t even know each other when we were married, but we ended up living a very happy and successful life. A relationship can slowly be built, it doesn’t have to come naturally.”

“Then who do you want me to marry?” Li Xiao asked even though he didn’t really want to know the answer.

“Well, we are going to let you choose. I’m planning a grand party where I’m going to invite the richest and most beautiful maidens in Chang An. You can marry how ever many you would like.”

Li Xiao’s mouth dropped open again. “WHAT?! YOU WANT ME TO PICK A WIFE AFTER JUST ONE NIGHT? I WOULDN’T EVEN HAVE TIME TO—”

Dai Nanny gave him the look again.

Chapter 2
    A Fight In the Streets

-Qing Lan’s Quarters in the Imperial Palace, the Next Morning-

Qing Lan patted her hairdo with delight as she stared admiringly at herself in the mirror. Every morning, Qing Lan woke up extra early to fix her hair and makeup since she always wanted to look her best.

“Maids, bring me the hair garments I told you to buy for me,” Qing Lan ordered two female servants standing by the bedroom door. They walked over to a fancy wooden drawer and took out a box studded with rubies. Cautiously, they brought it over to Qing Lan. Qing Lan opened the box and took out two glittery butterflies made out of diamonds. “Put them on for me.”

The maids carefully placed the two expensive hairclips onto the princess’ shiny black hair. Qing Lan turned her head several different angles to see how her new jewels looked. The maids let out a sigh of relief when Qing Lan smiled with satisfaction.

“Where’s my new dress?” she asked after she was finished observing her hair.
    The maids immediately left to retrieve the dress. They quickly returned to her room holding a beautiful pink silk gown. Qing Lan smiled at the sight of it.

After she finished dressing up, Qing Lan met with her younger sister, Chen Lan, to take a walk in the palace’s flower gardens and show off her new robe. Chen Lan and Qing Lan did not have the same mother; they were both daughters of two different concubines of the emperor.

“Qing Lan, that is such a beautiful dress.” Chen Lan complimented flatteringly and stared droopily at her own plain yellow dress.

“I know, isn’t it?” Qing Lan replied proudly. “Father’s been thinking about finding me a husband, so he’s constantly buying new dresses for me so I can look my best.”

“Oh really? Is he serious?”

“I think so. Father says I should be more married before I turn eighteen. I think it’s the perfect—” Qing Lan stopped finishing off her sentence and stared off intently.

“Qing Lan, what are you staring—” Chen Lan began to ask, but was also disrupted.

After a moment of silent gazing, Qing Lan was finally able to let out a mutter. “My goodness…isn’t he the most handsome man you’ve ever seen?”

That man was Li Xiao. Coincidentally, he was passing by the garden on his way to visit the emperor.

“Oh, my heart is about to jump out of my mouth,” Chen Lan exclaimed dreamily.

Without being able to control their feet, they began to follow behind him on the stone path. Li Xiao heard their footsteps and ignored them.

'Probably just a bunch of servants', he thought to himself. However, after he walked for awhile, he still heard the two princesses behind him.

With his back still facing the girls, he said, “Okay, whoever you are, stop following me.”

Qing Lan stuttered nervously, “W-we weren’t following you. It was just a coincidence. W-we just happened to be walking on the same path.”

“Oh, so you’re taking random turns, too?”

Li Xiao turned around and was shocked to see the two princesses. He immediately bowed respectfully. “Sorry, I did not expect two royal palace maidens.”

Chen Lan and Qing Lan looked at each other and then at Li Xiao.

“Oh, it’s quite alright,” Chen Lan blushed. “We were actually in a hurry to go somewhere.”

“Then ladies first, you both can go in front of me.” The princesses smiled at him tenderly and went ahead of him.

-The Streets of Chang An, the Next Day-

A large horde of people encircled around a corner of the main road, cheering and clapping. In the center of the ring, Xue Hua and her brother were performing sword-fighting.

“Wow, look at that little boy,” commented a woman from the crowd. “How can he fight so well at such a young age?”

“Ah, how sad, he has to perform on the streets to survive,” said another woman. “Little boys his age should be at school.”

Xue Hua pointed the sword at her brother and paused. “Zhen Cao, how about a lunch break?” she whispered to him quietly so the audience couldn’t hear her.

Zhen Cao shrugged. “First try to dodge the Twisting Dragon!” He flung his sword at her like a boomerang. She immediately moved to the side to avoid it, but somehow the sword began to turn and follow her. The crowd watched with anticipation as the sword “twisted” to seem as if it was chasing her. Finally, Xue Hua did a backward somersault and kicked the sword’s handle with her foot as she was landing. The sword plopped down on the ground with a “shingiling”.

Everyone applauded and cheered, throwing coins on the ground.

“Thank you, thank you!” Xue Hua and Zhen Cao both bowed in unison.

Meanwhile, Li Xiao and his uncle, the governor of Chang An, were strolling down the busy streets on their imperial white stallions and surveying for problems. A large parade of officers and bodyguards trailed behind them.

“So, Li Xiao, how do you like working for the emperor and the government?” the governor asked his nephew.

“It’s a pretty secure job,” Li Xiao replied. “Although I’ve always wanted to join the army.”

“I know, I know. You want to be like your father and become general of the imperial army, right?” The governor smiled. “But if you stick to your government official spot, someday you might become a governor like me.” The governor stopped talking as they approached Xue Hua and Zhen Cao’s “performance” and gathering of customers. “Look at those poor peasants performing on government property without paying a single penny,” he declared with disgust.

Li Xiao looked at the two acrobats and couldn’t help but smile. Growing up under the strict control of his family, he had never seen a show like this. His martial arts were learned from a tutor and he practiced with his teachers or other pupils. Seeing two people simply presenting such good skills on the streets was new to him.

“Li Xiao, what do you think of this unsightly act?” the governor pointed at the crowd angrily.

“I think she’s very pretty—” Li Xiao covered his mouth embarrassingly, not intending to think aloud, and then looked away into the distance while searching for an answer that was not too contradicting. “I mean it’s very disappointing to see our people struggle like this in order to survive.”

“My nephew, you are simply too soft-hearted. Those aren’t poor innocent citizens, they are rebels! They hate our government and our way of life. But what they hate most is people from our class like you and me. They are too jealous that we are so successful. The only way to hide their embarrassment and anger is by opposing us.” Though Li Xiao disagreed completely with his uncle, he still nodded and pretended to see eye to eye with him. “So, do you know what we have to do now?” Li Xiao shook his head. “We arrest them of course!”

“Arrest them? Why?”

“They are rebels, that’s why! If they don’t want to obey the law and contribute to the society, then they have no right to live here on the government’s property!”

The governor turned around to his guards and commanded, “Arrest those rebels!”

“Yes, Your Excellency!” his guards obeyed and descended from their horses and ran towards the show. They pushed their way angrily through the crowd and stepped right into the performing area.
    Zhen Cao had just completed a somersault and came face-to-face with an officer when he landed.

“Uh…hello, sir,” Zhen Cao greeted nervously. Knowing he was in trouble, he immediately turned around and tried to run away, but the officer grabbed Zhen Cao’s shoulder and pulled him back. Xue Hua saw this and picked up a pebble off the floor and threw it at the officer. The pebble hit his eye causing him to lose his grip on Zhen Cao and cry in pain.

“Zhen Cao, let’s go!” Xue Hua grabbed her bag and her brother’s wrist. Before they could run away, however, a crowd of guards besieged them and pointed their spears at them.

“Oh darn, this is bad. Looks like we’re going to have to escape out of jail now,” Zhen Cao commented quietly.
    Li Xiao saw that they were in a dead-end and quickly came up with a plan to help them.

“Hey you guys!” Li Xiao directed to the guards. “Do not move your weapons!” Zhen Cao and Xue Hua both stared at him curiously as he got off his horse and walked towards them. “You can arrest them later, but I want to investigate in something first. Put down your spears.”

The guards retreated into the crowd and waited for Li Xiao to speak.

Li Xiao began to circle around Xue Hua and Zhen Cao and stared at them intently.

“I really enjoyed that little show you put on,” he spoke to them. “However, I’m inquisitive to know why two young and well-fit citizens do not find a normal job, but instead earn a living off of performing on the streets. You two are very skilled fighters. Why not work for our government instead?”

“Because the government is unfair and stupid,” Xue Hua instantly replied angrily. “Sure, you rich people get all the privileges, so you have nothing to complain about. We spend an entire day earning barely enough to keep a meal on the table, and you take most of it away for taxes to provide the nobles with luxury and land. Do you call that reasonable? Even so, we are stronger and can endure more misfortunes than you weak mandarins. All you guys do is sit around all day and write reports. Why would we good-hearted peasants want to work for such a ruthless body like that?”

“Wow, you have both insulted and underestimated me.”

“Insulted, yes; underestimated, no.”

“Oh really, then do you mean to tell me that you think people from the upper class can't fight and work like you? You think they only use their brains to make money?”

“Isn’t that what I just said?”

Li Xiao smiled and turned to the guards. “One of you, give me your sword.” A guard pulled out his sword and handed it to Li Xiao. “Alright miss, why don’t you back up your concept with some proof?” he challenged Xue Hua. “Let’s see if a mandarin is really lower than a commoner.”

Xue Hua grinned with enthusiasm. She never turned down a fight. She beckoned for Zhen Cao to step back, and he withdrew into the crowd to watch. Quickly, Xue Hua picked up her sword from the ground formed into a fighting position. “I’m warning you, if you loose you won't be able to arrest me anymore.”

“Oh I’m sure I’ll get plenty of other chances.” Without saying another word, the two began to spar. They seemed equally skilled and they often went back and forth, neither one gaining on the other. Xue Hua tried to strike his ankle, but he jumped up and flipped over her. He flung his sword down on her, but she immediately blocked the blow and their swords clashed together.

“Look, I really don’t want to arrest you,” Li Xiao whispered to her.

“Oh really, then why are you doing it?” Xue Hua responded sarcastically. She freed her sword from the lock. She tried to slash him, but their swords locked together again.

“Well, I have no other choice since this is my job, but I have a plan. I’ll distract the guards and you and the little boy can run away.”

She twirled her sword around rapidly several times while it was still “linked” to Li Xiao’s sword. It flew out of his grasp and landed on the ground. Seeing that he was starting to retrieve it, she jabbed her sword onto the dirt and grabbed his wrists just before he could touch his sword.

“Let’s see how well you do without a weapon to protect you!” Xue Hua teased. Li Xiao pulled his wrists out of her grip and they started to scuffle again, this time without their swords. Zhen Cao watched with anticipation as he cheered on his sister.

“Why are you cheating your government to save a bunch of street performers?” Xue Hua asked while still fighting.

“Because…” Li Xiao clutched onto her hand. “I hate to see innocent people being treated unfairly…” He pulled her towards him. “especially if they are beautiful women.”

Xue Hua blushed a little. She kicked his stomach, pushing him away. “Then how are you going to distract the guards?”

“Punch me.”

“What?”

“Punch me!”

“Okay…” She socked him right in the face, but he moved back a little and her fist barely touched him. However, to the audience it looked as if she really slugged him bad. Li Xiao grabbed his nose and pretended to be in pain.

“Ouch! You ferocious peasant!” he screamed while covering his fake injured nose. Xue Hua understood his plan. He made an illusion to trick everyone into thinking he was hit and then started a scene. “You-you broke my nose!”

Immediately, the guards dashed over to his aid and huddled around him, asking if he was alright. Xue Hua and Zhen Cao seized the opportunity to escape and disappeared through the crowd.

“Quick, get a doctor for my nephew!” the governor ordered. “Wait! Where are those rebels?”

Li Xiao looked around and saw that Xue Hua and Zhen Cao had already left; he smirked under his hand.