Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Liao Zhai - Hua Gu Zi

Default Liao Zhai - Hua Gu Zi

I just rented this over the weekend, starring Zhang Ting, Shen Xiao Hai, Rebecca Wang , etc.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...-c/version-cn/

So far, it's pretty good. The love Triangle (Quad?) is a bit like Qian Nu You Hun ... I like Shen Xiao hai in this show. Reminds me of Nie Yuan in QNYH, suffering in silence for his one and only love ... yet, she loves the scholar. OK, the scholar in this series is not as useless as the scholar in QNYH. But what's with all the girl in Liao Zhai? They are always in love with the scholars .... don't they like the strong and silent type?
    Last edited by tinac; 07-11-04 at 10:22 PM.

So glad you start this thread. I have been thinking about getting the serie. Have you finished watching it? Does it have a sad ending? I heard that a lot of people really like Shen Xiao Hai in this show. He is supposed to be the cool dude. Isn't he the bad buy in "Chinese Ghost Story" and a few other shows? How are Zhang Ting and Qiu Xin Zhi? Hope they are not annoying like Barbie and Daniel. What is Rebecca's role? I saw a picture of the four leads and it looks as though Rebecca is paired with Shen Xiao Hai. I thought he only loves Zhang Ting.

Not sure why the girls in Liao Zhai only like the helpless scholars. Perhaps it is better that way since I can't imagine Nie Yuan ending up with Barbie. What really annoys me is that the strong and silent type like Nie Yuan always ends up broken hearted or dead. Why can't they find another nice girl and live happily ever after?

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

Originally posted by FaMoonLau
    So glad you start this thread. I have been thinking about getting the serie. Have you finished watching it? Does it have a sad ending? I heard that a lot of people really like Shen Xiao Hai in this show. He is supposed to be the cool dude. Isn't he the bad buy in "Chinese Ghost Story" and a few other shows? How are Zhang Ting and Qiu Xin Zhi? Hope they are not annoying like Barbie and Daniel. What is Rebecca's role? I saw a picture of the four leads and it looks as though Rebecca is paired with Shen Xiao Hai. I thought he only loves Zhang Ting.
    No, both Zhang Ting and QXZ is not annoying like Barbie or Danial characters in Ghost Story.

Yes, SXH love Zhang Ting...it's going to be a love triangle (or Quad) in this series. Rebecca like him but he loves Zhang Ting and Zhang Ting like QXZ but he sort of like both girls !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, Fallen Angel. If Qiu Xin Zhi likes both girls, who did he end up with? I hope it is Zhang Ting since Rebecca likes the other guy. Do Rebecca and SXH have good onscreen chemistry? The love story seems complicated. I hope this serie has a happy ending.

What roles do Shen Xiao Hai and Huang Hai Bing play in this series?
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 08-07-04 at 07:59 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi! I am so happy people are posting to this thread ... I'd been waiting in despair .... but no more!

Anyway, I wrote one long postings with spoiler but it got lost when I tried to post. So, I am re-doing it now .. here goes ...

cast:
    Qiu Xin Zhi - An You Yu aka "The Scholar"
    Zhang Ting - Hua Gu Zi
    Shen Xiao Hai - Tao Cui
    Rebecca Wang - Ms Chong (Can't remember her fullname, anyway only her father called her name everyone else just refer to her as Ms Chong)

**** WARNING *** SPOILER******************

An You Yu is a talented Scholar who also works as a gardener in the Chong family. He actually has a crush on Ms Chong, but of course this will change later.

One day, he saved a family of deers ( I think it's deer) from hunters (who happens to be the town official's son). Turns out, these are no ordinary deers. They are actually deer spirits, Hua Gu Zi (Zhang Ting) and her parents. Since they are not very strong spirits, they can only transform to human at night. On one occassion, HGZ learns from Tao Cui (a family friend) that she could gain more power by eating the snake spirit "power pearl". Of course, she steals it and got herself into trouble... and was saved by Tao Cui .... again.

Tao Cui is a Bamboo spirit (with lots of secrets which I would not reveal), he has been in love with HGZ for a long time but never told her. To HGZ, he is her best brother. He is always helping her and save from any trouble she got herself into, and it's usually because of AYY. He really reminds me of Qi Ye in QNYH.

Anyway, AYY is not exactly a normal scholar, he got a magical brush that would turn anything he paints to live. It was because of this brush that he parents where murdered. There is one incident where he painted Ms Chong, it transform to Ms Chong lookalike and create havoc in the town and got the real Ms Chong in big trouble.

Ms Chong is your normal rich missy ... but not the spoilt rotten kind. She is in love with Tao Cui and is not afraid to let him know. It's really too bad that he loves HGZ, I think they are a better match.

OK, I've only watched part 1, still waiting for part 2. Really hope that TC ends up with Ms Chong. I think HGZ is a nice girl but she is really really selfish. I will post more updates after i watch part 2.

BTW, Lady Zhuge, Huang Hai Bing is not in this show.

Originally posted by tinac
    BTW, Lady Zhuge, Huang Hai Bing is not in this show.
    Oh, okay. I think I got him mixed up with someone else.

Hey, what's wrong with loving scholars? Sometimes the scholar is also the strong and silent type. That would please everyone, wouldn't it?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    Hey, what's wrong with loving scholars? Sometimes the scholar is also the strong and silent type. That would please everyone, wouldn't it?
    Um, nothing wrong .... just that the suave, handsome, smart loving one always don't the girl. Actually, in this series, I don't really mind that he didn't get the girl he thinks he wants. I think he should just get over her and grab the "better" girl.

It would certainly be nice if the scholar is also the strong and silent type and he gets the "right" girl at the end. Somehow the writer prefers the scholars to be wimpy. They are often helpless and sometimes can't decide who they really like. Perhaps AYY is not a wimp since he has a magic brush. Why did AYY work as a gardener in the Chong's household if he possessed such a powerful object? Shouldn't he have painted himself a nice big house and a pretty girl? How did a rich girl like Rebecca get to know and fall in love with the bamboo spirit? I assume she is not the type who wanders in the bamboo forest at night. Do you think SXH did a better job as the strong and silent type compared to Nie Yuan? Why do you say HGZ is really selfish?

Originally posted by FaMoonLau
    It would certainly be nice if the scholar is also the strong and silent type and he gets the "right" girl at the end. Somehow the writer prefers the scholars to be wimpy. They are often helpless and sometimes can't decide who they really like. Perhaps AYY is not a wimp since he has a magic brush. Why did AYY work as a gardener in the Chong's household if he possessed such a powerful object? Shouldn't he have painted himself a nice big house and a pretty girl? How did a rich girl like Rebecca get to know and fall in love with the bamboo spirit? I assume she is not the type who wanders in the bamboo forest at night. Do you think SXH did a better job as the strong and silent type compared to Nie Yuan? Why do you say HGZ is really selfish?
    Well, AYY didn't know that his brush had that ability. It wasn't until Ms Chong got into trouble that he found out about it and about his parents' murder. Also, the things he paints seem to come to live for a limited time ... like Cinderella's pumpkin, so it would not really help him get rich. Besides, the guys is dead honest and earnest ... it'd be out of his character to do it.

Ms Chong met TC when her father tried to find a match for her. He held a "painting competition" thingy for her to find the best son-in-law, she disguished as a man to see who came and met him there. He brought a painting of her (never mentioned how he knows what she look like) and he really stand out compare to other candidates.... actually, he goes there for another reason that has to do with his secret.

He is different from QY, but you know they both suffered the same problem.

Hi Tinac,

I'm currently watching this series at moment too! Where are you up to or you already finished?

At this moment I like TC more than the AYY. Like you, I also like guy who are the silence type ! TC looks so sad , when he played his flute!
    Cheers!!!!!!

Originally posted by Fallen Angel
    Hi Tinac,

I'm currently watching this series at moment too! Where are you up to or you already finished?

At this moment I like TC more than the AYY. Like you, I also like guy who are the silence type ! TC looks so sad , when he played his flute!
    Hi Fallen Angel,
    I watched up to part 1, the second part is not out yet. It's the aprt where TC is getting drunk over HGZ's marriage.

Yeah, he is so sad ... have you seen SXH in other shows? The first time I saw him was in "Ji Ling Xiao Zi", he was the main bad guy "Ning Wang". He made an impression to me even then.

Hi Fallen Angel,
    I watched up to part 1, the second part is not out yet. It's the aprt where TC is getting drunk over HGZ's marriage.

Yeah, he is so sad ... have you seen SXH in other shows? The first time I saw him was in "Ji Ling Xiao Zi", he was the main bad guy "Ning Wang". He made an impression to me even then.
    Oh, you are way ahead of me ! I'm only up to the part where AYY run away and he got sick and stayed with HGZ's family and meanwhile CT become the godson of that governor.

The first time I seen SXH is in The Chinese Ghost Story, he played the bad guy - the cult leader !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Oh, you are way ahead of me ! I'm only up to the part where AYY run away and he got sick and stayed with HGZ's family and meanwhile CT become the godson of that governor.

The first time I seen SXH is in The Chinese Ghost Story, he played the bad guy - the cult leader !
    I think I want to start a thread of him at the Actors forum, wanna join? This guy will be more popular after this show.

You should see him at Ji Ling Xiao Zi, he is slick....

umm some pictures?

Hi Tinac,

I've just finished it last night........the ending was ok but not a happy one ! But at least CT didn't die D:!
    Cheers!!!!!!

I've just finished it last night........the ending was ok but not a happy one ! But at least CT didn't die D:!
    Hehe, that's funny. You just finished it while I just started watching this show tonight. It's pretty good so far. I like both of the lead actors, but for different reasons. One's role is kind and gentle while the other is suave and strong. Too bad neither of them have the guts to tell the girls they love of their true feelings, though. Well, at least not yet.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    Hehe, that's funny. You just finished it while I just started watching this show tonight. It's pretty good so far. I like both of the lead actors, but for different reasons. One's role is kind and gentle while the other is suave and strong. Too bad neither of them have the guts to tell the girls they love of their true feelings, though. Well, at least not yet.
    Typical isn't, they always hold back their feeling until it is too late....well too late for the suave strong one anyway !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Hi Tinac,

Hi Fallen Angel,
    Yeah, I got the disc on Friday but too busy watching "Ming Yang Hua Gu". Well, I cheated a bit, I went ahead to watch the last disc to see what the ending is like. So now I don't feel the urge .. he he ...

Hi Fallen Angel,
    Yeah, I got the disc on Friday but too busy watching "Ming Yang Hua Gu". Well, I cheated a bit, I went ahead to watch the last disc to see what the ending is like. So now I don't feel the urge .. he he ...
    Hahaha... that's ok, cuz I cheat too ! I skipped about six or seven episodes cuz my sister told me it was boring......HGZ was crying too much! I'll go back and watched those episodes when I don't have anything to watch!
    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 07-19-04 at 07:44 PM.
    Cheers!!!!!!