Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen Xiao Hai

Hi!!

Been out of the loop for the past week, was on vacation to relief stress ... too bad it's back again.

Anyway, I've seen the new PZXY ... don't really like it, they totally mess up the story. I guess, it is OK for people who haven't watched the old adaptation or read the novel.

Lady Zhuge, how do you like NY in QNYH?

Hi tinac, glad to see you back!!! I hope you enjoyed your vacation.
    FaMoonLau and I have done a pretty good job of keeping this thread active while you were gone, don't you think? BTW, did you see the profile I posted for Xiao Hai on the last page? Feel free to quote and add it to the first post of this thread so newcomers can get to know him more easily without having to fumble through all the pages.

I like Nie Yuan all right in QNYH. He has nice eyes. I suppose I will feel more and more sorry for him as the story progresses, since I'm only up to episode 12 so far. Like a lot of people, I seem to have a soft spot for the Qi Ye/Tao Zui/Sai Hua Tuo type of characters. In terms of image/impression/looks, let's just say I doubt I'll start bumping Nie Yuan's thread any time soon.

Does Xiao Hai get much screen time in this serial? After the first episode, he seems to be standing around alot looking menacing. I want to see more action from him: fight scenes, killing more people, etc, etc.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Lady Zhuge, thanks for the link to the english version of SGYY. I will check it out when I get a chance. Yes, the PZXY production I recommended stars Damian Lau and Michelle Yim, my favorite girl. The show is very old, produced during the 70s. I think there is even a review in SPCNET under the ATV section. Damian is one of the coolest actors IMO. He did a great job as Lu Xiao Feng. He and Michelle had terrific chemistry and I always love watching their shows. In case you are interested in their other series, they did a version of "Princess Chang Ping" which I also like. It was a historical serie and had a really sad ending. But Damian was quite suave in the show and Michelle was just beautiful.

By the way, I saw "Xiang Si Cheng Yun Yan" at yesasia. I think they called it something like "clould and mist". Is Ji Ling Xiao Zi the same as 'Smart Kid' starring Dicky? If so, I think you will enjoy Xiao Hai's role in there more than the one in 'Chinese Ghost Story'. He played Ning Wang - a totally cool and suave villian. Nie Yuan was also in 'Smart Kid' as a wimpy prince - the opposite of Qi Ye. In CGS, I am glad Qi Ye did not end up with the girl he loved, Xiao Qian. She and the scholar deserved each other since they were both idiots. I think Shen Xiao Hai was not as cool in CGS. His costume and makeup were too elaborate and he was just the standard bad guy, nothing that special. Ning Wang was better. He was super polite and kind on the outside but really evil on the inside.

Hi FaMoonLau!

I checked out the review in the ATV section and according to it, this show was produced in 1985. But yeah, it's very old.
    Princess Chang Ping? During which dynasty did she live?

Yep, I saw "Long for Cloud and Mist" on yesasia. But, I'm probably not going to watch it because someone who has seen it told me that Xiao Hai only appears in a few episodes in a rather unflattering role before he's killed off.
    Yes, Ji Ling Xiao Zi is Smart Kid starring Dicky Cheung. I've heard so many good things about Xiao Hai's role as Ning Wang in there that I'm swooning over him already!!!
    Like I said in the HGZ thread, I don't like Barbie or Daniel in ACGS either. Luckily they don't appear very much, considering they're supposedly the leads. Nie Yuan is cool and all, but for some reason, he just doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Xiao Hai does.
    You're right; Jin Guang is a pretty standard bad guy. I just love Xiao Hai's evil looks, though.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

hullo! i am back! sorry for being away so long, i got caught up in my school work! exams have piled up on me! sigh...
    hmmm, regarding the new PZXY, well i can't say that it is faithful to the novel since i have not read it, nor did i watched the old version starring Damien Lau. But i did hear that it is merely a loose, as in very loose adaptation of it, but taken solely on its own, i think PZXY with HBB and FBB is quite good.
    simply put, i think the wonderful lavish settings, costumes, story, plot, nicely drawn characters more than made up for its not being faithful to its source. i mean, does a movie/series that is not entirely faithful make its viewing any less enjoyable? i think not.
    hehe, but then again, i may be a bit biased, since i am a huge fan of FBB, so i tned to be overprotective and defensive of her!!!
    hmm, i think he looks good in a qing costume. i repeat, not everyone would look good being bald!!! i think SXH pulled the look off quite nicely. but then again, i may again be biased since i am currently in love with him! hehe. i have to agree with you Lady Khuge, i tend to be more partial to the Sai Hua Tuo character types. you know, those that are very cold on the outside but warm and gentle on the inside, and in love with the leading lady all along!!! i also have a soft spot for the villain rather than the protagonist itself!!!
    Gackt-sama's eternal love slave

Hello tinac and Jenny_shiny. Good to have you both back.

Princess Chang Ping was the daughter of the last Ming Emperor. Her father hung himself when the manchu conquered China. The princess and her consort killed themselves after persuading the Qing Emperor ( I think it was Huang Tai Ji) to bury her fatherin the royal tomb and let her brother go. Her love story is very popular and is the basis of many chinese opera performances. The production with Damian is quite long (50 episodes). If you are interested, you can get it at Tigercool. It is dual dub in mandarin/cantonese.

I think Nie Yuan outshined Xiao Hai in CGS only because his character was more complex. Jin Guang was just a power hungry dude. That's why I prefer Ning Wang. He was not so obvious like Jin Guang. Lady Zhuge, better make sure you sit in a comfortable sofa when you watch 'Smart Kid'. Don't want you to get hurt swooning over Ning Wang. hehe Too bad he had no love interest in 'Smart Kid' although Li Bing Bing drooled over him a little bit. You have to tell us what you think of Ning Wang when you finish watching 'Smart Kid'.

Anyone have any news on Xiao Hai? Has he finished filming those two new series?

Hi guys!!! It's nice to have you back, Jenny. Once school starts again for me, I'm probably going to be in your position too.
    I agree with you about Xiao Hai in Qing costume. He looks yummy regardless of whether he has hair or not and you definitely can't say that about most people.

Thanks for the background info about Princess Chang Ping, FaMoonLau. Now I know why that name sounded so familiar, but couldn't put my finger on why. She was a character in The DoMD too!
    When I said that Xiao Hai appeals to me much more than Nie Yuan does, I was talking in general terms and not referring to any specific series or roles. Sorry to have confused you. I agree that NY's role in ACGS is more impressive than SXH's. A lot of times roles make the actor and not the other way around.
    Hehe, I'll try to make sure I don't hurt myself while watching Xiao Hai as Ning Wang. But, I won't be able to help it if my heart involuntarily leaps out of my chest, though. Aww, too bad he doesn't have a love interest in Smart Kid and only has LBB drooling over him. He deserves so much better. About what episode does he appear in this show?

I'm not sure if Xiao Hai is done filming those two shows yet. The latest news on his official website is only from 7/19. They really should update it more often. If I read or hear of anything new, I'll be sure to post it in this thread.

Random Xiao Hai trivia:

He developed Pink Eye while filming Wu Yan Nu.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I didn't realize that princess chang ping was also in DoMD. DoMD is not one of my favorite stories. I know she was in another one of Jin Yong's novels. HK (I think TVB) made an adaptation from it many years back called 'Sword stained with royal blood" starring Felix Wong.

I totally agree that roles make the actor. Don't think Nie Yuan would have been as popular if he had not played Qi Ye in CGS. Hope Xiao Hai will get better roles in the future.

Since I saw 'Smart Kid' a long time ago, I don't remember which episode Ning Wang appeared? For sure though, it was the second half of the show. Dicky was too busy straightening out his bunch of delinquent students during the first half. So, the real bad guy did not have to show up until later. It is not a bad thing that Xiao Hai had no love interest in 'Smart Kid'. The girls were not that pretty. LBB and He Mei Tien were ok. The one they paired with Nie Yuan was a total disaster. It would have totally turned me off of Ning Wang went after her! Fortunately, Nie Yuan played a wimp in this serie so they deserved each other.

Have you seen 'Wu Yan Nu'? Is it another boring/sad love story? Have anyone seen 'Qi Xia Wu Yi'? I saw some pictures of Xiao Hai from that serie on his web site. Wonder if it is a good show.

Hey FaMoonLau! Well, maybe it was another princess who was in The DoMD, but for sure she was a princess and the daughter of the last Ming emperor. In the 2000 version, she was Athena Chu's sifu, if that rings any bells. In the 1984 version, I think she was played by the same actress who played Kenix Kwok's mother in the Detective Investigation trilogy and Michael Tao's mother in the Files of Justice series. Sorry, this is just how I tend to describe and relate to certain characters.

Was Nie Yuan's role as Qi Ye what basically skyrocketed him into popularity? I don't recall hearing much about him before then. Shen Xiao Hai's role in "Hua Gu Zi" as Tao Zui has definitely made him more popular, especially since he used to always play antagonists.
    BTW, I have a minor update. Xiao Hai is done filming "Yi Lian You Meng", but "Yue Chen Jiang Nan" is still in production. Xiao Hai has not yet decided what his next project will be after that. Di Ren Jie seems to be quite a popular figure these days. Another new serial about him (not involving Xiao Hai) recently came out.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that "Smart Kid" is not a new show and that it came out in 2000. I guess you're right. It's better for Xiao Hai not to have a love interest if they're not deserving or up to par in the first place. From the pic of him as Ning Wang, he looks really feminine. I wonder if that also insinuates something in regards to his not having any female romantic interests...?

Nope, I haven't seen "Wu Yan Nu". I asked about Xiao Hai's role in the thread about it and he plays the main bad guy who is in love with Wu Yan Nu. I was told (not in said thread) that the story is kind of dull and pointless, so I don't know if it would be worth it just to watch Xiao Hai. I mean, at least ACGS is entertaining!
    I'm curious about "Qi Xia Wu Yi" too. There are absolutely no comments about it at tigercool, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Some of the other cast members in it look familiar to me, like the guy who played Li Wei in "Li Wei Dang Guan" (I and II) and Elvis Xu, who played Xie Xun in HSDS 2003 and Ao Bai in The DoMD 2000. Isn't it also a new version of the story? Of course I don't know anything about the original story either.

Random Xiao Hai trivia:

He and Ning Jing had "romantic tendencies" over 10 years ago when they attended the same performing arts school together. Xiao Hai recounts that Ning Jing has these huge eyes, so many boys were after her. He felt honored that he had the opportunity to be alone with her.

My own comment about that story: Come on now, I think Ning Jing is the one who should have felt honored.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

If the princess in DoMD was the daughter of the last Ming emperor, then I am pretty sure she was princess chang ping. According to the folklore, the day the capital fell, her father tried to kill her so she would not be captured by the Qing soldiers. He failed and a priest rescued the wounded princess. He later taught her kungfu and she supported the rebels against the Qing emperor. This was before she was reunited with her consort and later died from drinking poison wine.

I certainly was not impressed by Nie Yuan's performance in 'Smart Kid'. His other series like 'Da Tang Qing Shi' and "Tian Xia Liang Chang' were not that popular either. But after he played Qi Ye, fans were practically drooling over him. Yeah, I also notice that there is a new serie about Di Ren Jie. It seems that he was a very capable official, along the line of Judge Bao. I heard that the version with Xiao Hai is different because it focuses on the life of Di Ren Jie himself instead of his investigation. Why can't they spiff up Xiao Hai's costume a bit? He looks really dorky in that short sleeve outfit! Now, Lady Zhuge, don't hit me. I am just being honest. Well, Ning Jing is also in 'Yue Chen Jiang Nan' but as Di Ren Jie's love interest. Perhaps she and Xiao Hai can get reacquainted.

Lady Zhuge, Ning Wang was not a sissy at all. Have you seen him in the show yet? He made Dicky look totally uncouth. I think he was too focus on his goal so he did not have time for love. Ning Wang had two female bodyguards. Do you think they had a crush on him? Guess I won't be watching 'Wu Yan Nu' either. Yeah, I also found very little comments about 'Qi Xia Wu Yi'. On cnave.com, someone said that Xiao Hai did a good job except that she preferred him with hair because a bald head looked ugly. My sentiment exactly. I heard that in the original version, the story took place during Judge Bao's time. I think there was a taiwanese production of 'Qi Xia Wu Yi' starring Vincent Jiao En Jun several years back. Did you watch 'Li Wei Dang Guan'? I saw a little bit of part I. Don't you think Xu Zheng, the guy who played Li Wei, was somehome immitating Dicky?

Hiya FaMoonLau! Yep, then that must have been Princess Chang Ping all right. Who gave her the poisonous wine?

Was Nie Yuan's performance in "Smart Kid" not that great or was it mainly because his character was such a wuss? I mean, an actor who is doing his job shouldn't make a character who is supposed to be pathetic somehow cool.
    Nie Yuan is in "Tian Xiao Liang Chang" too? I have that serial as well, but haven't watched it yet. I've heard that it's quite good, though. I finished ACGS last night and you were right. NY's demon costume and make-up was awesome. His hair actually looked white, too. The purple streaks and eye make-up were nice complements.
    Even though Jin Guang was your standard predictable baddie, I thought Xiao Hai still looked really cool in the role throughout most of the show: the outfits, the hair, the camera angles, and especially the way his characteristic eyes worked their usual magic.

See, that's one of the reasons I love watching ancient series. They usually stimulate my interest in Chinese history and I get to learn more about figures I'd otherwise be completely ignorant about. Di Ren Jie is yet another example.
    How dare you describe Xiao Hai as dorky!?! Okay, all kidding aside, I agree with you. That outfit is not flattering at all. It doesn't deserve to touch an inch of Xiao Hai's skin. And there's also that lame bun-hair. Ack. Maybe it's a low-budget production and they can't afford a better tailor or hairdresser. Xiao Hai has been in at least two other productions with Ning Jing. Besides, he's already taken, so Ning Jing has missed her chance.
    Doesn't Di Ren Jie have a wife in " Yue Chen Jiang Nan"? Well, I guess it wasn't as strange for married men to have other love interests in those days.

No, I haven't seen "Smart Kid" yet. I've still got to order it and then probably have to wait at least another 2 weeks before it actually arrives. I was just commenting on my impression of Ning Wang solely based on the picture I posted on page one of this thread.
    Sure a bald head may look ugly on SOME people, but not on Xiao Hai. I will concur that he looks better with hair, but he's still hot without it. Hmm, well, I guess everyone's opinions are different because someone posted a comment at tigercool recommending "Wu Yan Nu" to people who enjoyed Shen Xiao Hai in "Hua Gu Zi".
    Nope, I haven't seen "Li Wei Dang Guan", but I have seen about 8 episodes of part II, though. Xu Zheng does look a bit like Dicky, but I'm not sure if he was trying to imitate him. Have you seen "Yong Zheng Wang Chao"? I like Xu Zheng better than the actor who played Li Wei in that serial.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I agree w/ Lady Zhuge...though his acting in Wu Yan Nu was good, I felt frustrated because there was no room for him to develop it. The plot was very shallow and there was only so much he could do. Has he done modern series before?

Welcome to Xiao Hai's thread, 999roses! I'm glad you could give us some insight on "Wu Yan Nu" and Xiao Hai's role in it. It sounds like he was the best part of it, eh?
    Yep, he has done modern series before, like "Xia Ri Lian Yu Lu" ( 夏日恋语录 ) and "Lei Ting Zong Heng" ( 雷霆纵横 ).

Some pics from XRLYL:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://shenxiaohai.com/zp/pufan3.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://shenxiaohai.com/zp/pufan.jpg')

Some pics from LTZH (I also posted a couple about 2 pages back in this thread):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://shenxiaohai.com/zp/09.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://shenxiaohai.com/zp/018.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://shenxiaohai.com/zp/067.jpg')

You can find more at shenxiaohai.com
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

mmmmm.....he looks really really good in police uniform
    and yup, he sure was the best part of that series, though I always get the feeling that he never gets really good-looking female counterparts =(

Yeah, don't you just love a man in that kind of uniform? Well, especially one as handsome as Xiao Hai.
    I agree! He needs to be paired up with more beautiful and talented women who will complement his own physical presence and acting ability.

Is "Wu Yan Nu" the first serial that you've seen with Xiao Hai in it?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

any type of uniform is good for him lol...yeah unfortunately, wu yan nu is the first series I saw w/ him...I only watched the beginning and the end, skipped the middle boringness...
    I think that he may not be the most handsome guy out there, but he definitely has charisma and magnetism...way better than those good-looking but brainless teen idols

Default Intro

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board and have been following this thread on Shen Xiao Hai for several days. I'm thrilled to have found this place because I've been searching for information on SXH on the net for a week but couldn't find anything until now. All of the websites dedicated to him are in Chinese, which (unfortunately) I can't read. I'm therefore extremely greatful to Lady Zhuge for translating SXH's personal profile into English and for several interesting Xiao Hai trivia. Thank you so much! Now I finally know a little bit about this "mysterious" actor.

I first saw Xiao Hai in "Wu Yan Nu" several months ago and just finished watching the last episode tonight. I think he is the most intriguing character in the whole thing even though he's the bad guy. And he's probably the reason why I followed the series through to the very end. This is still the only series that I've seen him in, but I hope to see more of him.

I have several questions concerning Xiao Hai, and I am wondering if someone here can answer them. The first is about the letters uploaded to this website: http://www.shenxiaohai.com/xin.htm
    Can anyone tell me if they are written *by* Xiao Hai? or are they written *for* Xiao Hai by his fans?

The second question concerns his age. I know that it is basically a mystery, but I'm wondering why he is guessed to be around 35? This may sound strange, but I need his birth year in order to create an astrological chart for him (no, I'm not an astrologer and can't read people's future, but I try to keep a record of actors' star charts for an experiment that I'm doing). Anyway, I think it is funny that Xiao Hai's age is unknown, but we know his blood type is 'O'.

Third question -- is his girlfriend/wife (I only know he is 'taken' based on this thread) an actress that we know of? If so, have they acted together in anything before? If yes, I think it would be something I would like to see. By the way, I really like Ning Jing as well, and think she quite beautiful. She is 'taken' as well, isn't she?

And last question (for now) -- can someone tell me a bit more about him (his personality, likes and dislikes besides the ones in the profile, how he grew up, etc)? That is, if it's not too much trouble.

Sorry for all the questions. I hope I'm not annoying anyone by asking them. As I've said, I can't read Chinese, so I can't make use of the websites dedicated to Xiao Hai. At the same time, once I get intrigued by an actor, I want to know a lot about him/her. Maybe someone here would consider creating an English website for Xiao Hai. OK, I'm joking. Or maybe not..

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this post without falling asleep, then thank you!

~tristine
    Last edited by tristinixie; 08-22-04 at 01:57 AM.

Originally posted by 999roses
    any type of uniform is good for him lol...yeah unfortunately, wu yan nu is the first series I saw w/ him...I only watched the beginning and the end, skipped the middle boringness...
    Well, at least Xiao Hai was in there to make the show not a total waste of time.

Originally posted by 999roses
    I think that he may not be the most handsome guy out there, but he definitely has charisma and magnetism...way better than those good-looking but brainless teen idols
    I agree with you. There is just something especially magical about his eyes. It's weird though, because they're not particularly big or beautiful or whatever, but there's just something bewitching about them and the way he uses them that I can't even begin to describe.

Hi tristinixie!!! I'm so glad you found this thread and decided to register at SPCNET to post in it. My Chinese character recognition is pretty weak too, but I'm forced to use and improve on it in order to learn more about Chinese actors I develop an interest in who have no English-based resources about them.
    Anyway, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability and knowledge.

Originally posted by tristinixie
    I have several questions concerning Xiao Hai, and I am wondering if someone here can answer them. The first is about the letters uploaded to this website: http://www.shenxiaohai.com/xin.htm
    Can anyone tell me if they are written *by* Xiao Hai? or are they written *for* Xiao Hai by his fans?
    Those are letters written by Shen Xiao Hai himself in various years. The first and third letters are to wish all Xiao Hai fans a very happy new year and may all our goals become reality. The second letter was written on his birthday two years ago and it's to sincerely thank everyone for their support and care. He will work harder so as not to let us down. Oh yeah...and he loves us all!!!

The second question concerns his age. I know that it is basically a mystery, but I'm wondering why he is guessed to be around 35? This may sound strange, but I need his birth year in order to create an astrological chart for him (no, I'm not an astrologer and can't read people's future, but I try to keep a record of actors' star charts for an experiment that I'm doing). Anyway, I think it is funny that Xiao Hai's age is unknown, but we know his blood type is 'O'.
    I've asked several of his rather long-time fans and none of them know either. My guess that he is around 35 is mainly based on how he looks. Now if you want to analyze a bit, okay. He graduated from performing arts school in 1990, which was 14 years ago. However, he started off as a dance major, which means he most likely did not just enter Shanghai Theatrical Institute right after high school. I do not know of any specific details like how old he was when he entered one institution or the other or how long he spent in each, though. Therefore, I can only speculate. Now having said all that, I'll probably sound hypocritical for saying this: Some thespians just like to maintain that mysterious air about their real age and as fans, we should respect that.

Third question -- is his girlfriend/wife (I only know he is 'taken' based on this thread) an actress that we know of? If so, have they acted together in anything before? If yes, I think it would be something I would like to see. By the way, I really like Ning Jing as well, and think she quite beautiful. She is 'taken' as well, isn't she?
    I read in an article that Xiao Hai's girlfriend is (or was, since I think she graduated already) a music major and composes songs or something. They've been going steady for quite awhile now, but marriage plans will probably wait until Xiao Hai's career becomes more successful.
    I think Ning Jing is a pretty good actress, although she always seems to take on the same type of roles. I'm not sure if she is taken or not and frankly, it is not of my interest.

And last question (for now) -- can someone tell me a bit more about him (his personality, likes and dislikes besides the ones in the profile, how he grew up, etc)? That is, if it's not too much trouble.
    One thing I didn't include in his translated profile was aspects of his personality. Actually, the positive and negative aspects are the same: He does not give up until he attains his goals. Now that can be seen as dedication or stubbornness. Other likes and info? Hmm...his favorite kind of taste/flavor is spicy. He really loves horses and riding them:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www28.brinkster.com/shenxiaohai/images/photo/taiwan/tw004.jpg')

His favorite music is entitled "Yi Kuai Hong Bu" (A Piece of Red Cloth) by Cui Jian ( 崔健 ). He likes to sing and play card games. The people he respects the most are his grandparents.
    I haven't come across anything yet about how he grew up, but if I do, I'll post it here.

Sorry for all the questions. I hope I'm not annoying anyone by asking them. As I've said, I can't read Chinese, so I can't make use of the websites dedicated to Xiao Hai. At the same time, once I get intrigued by an actor, I want to know a lot about him/her. Maybe someone here would consider creating an English website for Xiao Hai. OK, I'm joking. Or maybe not..
    There is no need for any apology here. I'm the same way when it comes to actors I like. Sometimes it's just tough finding other people willing to reciprocate discussion and sharing of information.

To continued support of Xiao Hai!!!

Besides "Wu Yan Nu", which of his other series looks the most interesting to you?

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this post without falling asleep, then thank you!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www28.brinkster.com/shenxiaohai/images/photo/taiwan/tw005.jpg')
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 08-22-04 at 02:18 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yeah, more Xiao Hai fans join the thread!

Lady Zhuge, princess chang ping made a bargain with the Qing emperor. She would come back to the palace and support him if he agreed to bury her father in the royal tomb and to set her brother free. The Qing Emperor agreed. He arranged for the princess and her consort to have a royal wedding. They drank poison wine and died after they got married.

I guess Nie Yuan's acting was ok in 'Smart Kid'. He just happened to play a very insecured person. For me personally, it would not have been so bad if he was not paired with that girl. : You will see what I mean when you start watching the show. 'Tian Xia Lian Chang' is good if you like court intrigue type of show. I am not into that kind of stories especially those from the Qing dynasty. Nie Yuan played Emperor Qian Long. Another good actor in the show was Wang Ya Nan. He played the son of an offcial. Wow, you finished ACGS already? That was pretty fast. Don't you think Jin Guang's character is quite pathetic in a way? He tried so hard to kill the demons, just to turn into one himself at the end. I wonder why they put him in a different costume when he tried to kill the white hair Qi Ye. Wouldn't he look more impressive in his usual elaborate outfit? I really like Yan Zhi Xia. He was funny and he had great chemistry with this wife.

I only like wu xia series. They are more fun especially those involved magic or based on Jin Yong/Gu Long novels. I do learn something about history once in a while although I am not into historical series. I guess people are getting tired of Judge Bao so the producers have to dig up stories about other famous investigators. I read the news article a while back and Ning Jing might be Di Ren Jie's wife instead of his love interest. I recall the article said something about them being were separated. Sorry for the confusion.

I saw only a couple of episodes of 'Yong Zheng Wang Chao' and gave up. The actors were a bunch of geezers and there was no pretty girl in the show. Not my kind of serie. Can someone elaborate on Xiao Hai's role in 'Wu Yan Nu'? I am getting quite curious.

Hi FaMoonLau! Yep, I was excited to see other people taking an interest in this thread too.

Aw, that's so sad. Poor Chang Ping. Mean 'ol emperor.

I actually do like court intrigue types of shows. At least the ones that are well-made. That's one of the reasons why I love "Yong Zheng Wang Chao" so much. Of course it didn't hurt that Tang Guo Qiang was the lead and 13 ah ge was sooo awesome! Ba ah ge was cool too, even if he was was a conniving wolf. The theme song was very powerful too. I agree with you about the lack of pretty girls though, but I'm sure you can understand why I didn't mind that very much.

For some reason, I have a difficult time picturing NY as Qianlong. Maybe his role as Qi Ye has something to do with it. Yeah, I finished ACGS pretty fast because the pace was to my liking. Jin Guang was indeed a very pathetic character. He always thought he was in the right and everyone else was wrong. Everything was like a sign for him to do whatever he wanted. I guess the wacky outfit and hair towards the end was to mirror his pathetic outcome and to make Qi Ye come off as even more powerful. I felt bad for the 4 Jiang, especially the girl. I liked Yan Zhi Xia and his wife too: definitely good chemistry and strong acting there.

According to

this page, this is Di Ren Jie's wife:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2004-07-19/U105P28T3D446803F326DT20040719101403.jpg')

Ning Jing plays Bai Ru Xue, Di Ren Jie's love interest when he was young and also Wang Xue Bing's character's mother. Wouldn't she look a bit young for that role?
    It's funny how in the other thread I said that Xiao Hai probably wouldn't be able to pull off playing a character who's in his early twenties, and yet his character in this show (Tao Gan) is supposed to be 22.

In the "Wu Yan Nu" thread, Creidesca said that Xiao Hai plays the main antagonist who is the illegitimate half brother of the lead guy and he is obsessed with Wu Yan Nu. I would be interested to know more details about what Xiao Hai's character in there is like. Is he a smart bad guy like Ning Wang or kind of dumb like Jin Guang? What were some of his "best" moments? Did he have any girls interested in him? Does he have any sidekicks? Why did he get slapped five times in that one scene? What happened to him in the end? Sorry for all these questions, but I'm kind of curious now too.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 08-22-04 at 10:20 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")