Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprising deaths in JY's novels

Default Surprising deaths in JY's novels

While reading JY's novels, did any death surprise you? Maybe you thought the person was vital to the story and would never die, or maybe you could only picture the person being funny, or maybe it just never occurred to you that person would end up a certain way! Anyhoo, the deaths that made it hard for me to swallow are Duan Zhengchun and his mistresses. They managed to survive most of the story, but within a few minutes they all got slaughtered, as easy as can be imagined. Somehow I always pictured the deaths to be less sudden, but when they came there was no stopping.

The 3rd Evil's death surprised me. Granted he was a bad guy, but the way DY made him a student was funny to me that I actually didn't want him to die.

Originally posted by rabadi
    The 3rd Evil's death surprised me. Granted he was a bad guy, but the way DY made him a student was funny to me that I actually didn't want him to die.
    I thought he was the 4th.....
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

I was not talking about the 4th Evil, I was talking about the Crocodile guy, ToOn. He was the 3rd Evil who was killed by the 1st Evil DYQ. He wanted to make DY his student, but he became DY's student instead.

Although we never actually get to see it, I was surprised to learn about the circumstances of Gwok Jing and Wong Yung's deaths in HEAVEN SWORD & DRAGON SABRE. I realized that Gwok Jing and Wong Yung were not immortal, and that they too would someday perish. At the end of RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, however, I thought the two of them would live out their natural lives battling the Mongols, who would not succeed in their campaign to conquer China until Gwok Jing and Wong Yung were too old to fight them. I was surprised that the couple met their end together a mere thirteen years after the end of ROCH, likely in a violent manner.

Originally posted by rabadi
    I was not talking about the 4th Evil, I was talking about the Crocodile guy, ToOn. He was the 3rd Evil who was killed by the 1st Evil DYQ. He wanted to make DY his student, but he became DY's student instead.
    yeah I thought the crocodile guy was the 4th..... I am wrong apparantly
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

The fourth evil is the preverted guy Yun ZhongHe.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Guo Jing killing Chen Xuan Feng.

Originally posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Guo Jing killing Chen Xuan Feng.
    This was the first time Gwok Jing ever killed anybody. I think he should get the Luckiest Kill In Wuxia Ever Award for this one.

I have several :

- The death of both AYF and H7Q after a long inner power contest
    - Mie Jue's death. (I want to her to die in a fierce duel)
    - Second Evil's death (We don't really see too much of her in action, when she finally reunited with XZ, she's a goner)
    - Ren Wo Xing's death in XAJH (Come on a little contest with LHC with charged JJY before the old age factor kicks in would be awesome)
    - White-Browed Eagle King's death toward the end of HSDS

I was pretty shocked at Ji Xiao Fu's death in HSDS. I thought that her teacher was just going to slap her around, but I didn't anticipate her slamming her palm right onto her skull!

OYF and H7G are definately shockers: I wanted them to stay but

Qu Fei Yan's death from Xiao Ao Jiang Hu was pretty sudden as well. I mean she was cute and very young and she appeared so early int eh novel. I thought she was least going to grow up and play a larger part in the story but then suddenly, she gets stabbed and dies!!

How about GJ's fifth teacher who was in love with the seventh tecaher?
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-25-04 at 04:05 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Qu Fei Yan's death from Xiao Ao Jiang Hu
    Initially JY wanted her to play some role later on, but he forgot to write about it so in XAJH rev 1, she just disappeared after that incident, but in rev 2, she got killed.

My list:

1: Ren Wo Xing's death
    2: Yue Bu Qun's death (too easy and quick for him)

-> I like XAJH 2001's ending better.

3: Duan Zheng Chun's mistresses: bit too quick and simple.

4: Zhang Cui San's suicide: too sudden, couldn't see it coming.

5: Qiu Qian Ren's death in ROCH - what a pity we didn't get a detailed description of his fight against the Golden Wheel Monk.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Originally posted by Candide
    5: Qiu Qian Ren's death in ROCH - what a pity we didn't get a detailed description of his fight against the Golden Wheel Monk.
    Agreed. Any fight that lasts an entire day is very likely to be extremely interesting.

-A Zhu's death. Ironic that XF accidently murdered her.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Is it true that Ma Yu dies of old age sometime in ROCH?

Originally posted by SkineePanda
    Is it true that Ma Yu dies of old age sometime in ROCH?
    I thought he got killed by the Mongol firebombing?

Originally posted by Omniflame
    I thought he got killed by the Mongol firebombing?
    Only in TVB's ROCH '83. From what novel readers have told me, Ma Yuk was there at the Chung Yeung Temple at the beginning of ROCH, but by the time Yeung Gor had completed his four-year training under Little Dragon Girl's tutelage, Ma Yuk had already passed on due to old age.

Originally posted by Candide
    Initially JY wanted her to play some role later on, but he forgot to write about it so in XAJH rev 1, she just disappeared after that incident, but in rev 2, she got killed.
    Yep, so sad. She was resourceful, witty, charming and intelligent - would have been a lot of fun for her to carry on in some way. Add to that also Liu Zhenfeng's daughter, Liu Jing - she and Fei Yan seemed to be very good friends, one perky and outgoing, the other one classy, calm and reserved. It's a shame both characters weren't developed further - Songshan has a lot to answer for. Ren Yingying could very well have had two potential rivals for Linghu Chong, one the naughty granddaughter of an elder loyal to her father and second the (presumably) vengeance-obsessed, musically-inclined student of Mo Da (I'm sure he would have taken her in) - it would be just like Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang!

Originally posted by Ian Liew
    Yep, so sad. She was resourceful, witty, charming and intelligent - would have been a lot of fun for her to carry on in some way. Add to that also Liu Zhenfeng's daughter, Liu Jing - she and Fei Yan seemed to be very good friends, one perky and outgoing, the other one classy, calm and reserved. It's a shame both characters weren't developed further - Songshan has a lot to answer for. Ren Yingying could very well have had two potential rivals for Linghu Chong, one the naughty granddaughter of an elder loyal to her father and second the (presumably) vengeance-obsessed, musically-inclined student of Mo Da (I'm sure he would have taken her in) - it would be just like Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang!
    Who are these girls? I don't remember them? (not Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang)
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Well, both characters are mainly from the book.. Qu Feiyan is Qu Yang's granddaughter, while Liu Jing is Liu Zhengfeng's daughter. During Qu Yang's frequent visits to the Liu family, Fei Yan hangs around Liu Jing a lot and they become like sisters. In the TV series neither character is normally given much screen time - Fei Yan sometimes gets a bit to do, but Liu Jing is almost always an unnamed extra (she was in XAJH 86 and 2000 anyway, not sure about the one in the early 90s).

In the novels they actually have some proper dialogue. Fei Yan has a very nice line about how 'girl liking boy' just before she dies when Yi Lin would rather die at Fei Bing's hands than leave Linghu Chong (who is trying to defend Qu Yang and Liu Zhengfeng), while Liu Jing, with a blade pointing at her neck, bravely offends Songshan by saying that they are worse than the Evil sect (also her last line before she dies). You get a rough feel of what both characters are like, but sadly they die very early on.