Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS: EPISODE 3 now has a name!

Originally posted by Hysteric
    I don't understand why people think that "Revenge of the Sith" is such a bad name. Compare it to "Return of the Jedi". I mean, they're almost exactly the same!

Seriously...it fits the overall story, gives you an idea of what direction the movie will take and fits the theme of how the Star Wars movies have been named so far. What's wrong with it?
    Lack of originality.

Staleness.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Originally posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Lack of originality.

Staleness.
    OR too high of an expectation
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

But then, the first two movies have made me apathetic to the series already. So, it matters not. It could call Darth Vader's Fart and I wouldn't really care.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

But you will see it neverless
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I have bad feeling that episode 3 will be a very dark movie.

Originally posted by James Ko
    But you will see it neverless
    Yah. But I'm not excited about it. Some movies I watch for formality or tradition's sake. Like a new Jackie Chan movie, I knew damn well it's going to be like the previous ones, but I still watch it for the hell of it.

3rd movie being dark?

Here's to bust the bubble of some Lucas fans. 'Dark' old SW movies like Empire Strikes Back and... okay, just Empire Strikes Back... well, ESB ain't directed by Lucas, and the screenplay ain't completely by Lucas himself either.

Could Mr. Lucas pull something REALLY dark and grim off without the help of friends this time? Or will it be like Attack of the Clones? Haha. Maybe the only darkness I get in the end is after I gouge out my own eyeballs during the movie.
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Dagger Lee
    I have bad feeling that episode 3 will be a very dark movie.
    Which is good. The other fisrt prequels were too cartoony, especially TPM. Darker is good, it will be more serious and mature. If you look at "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", the darkest with the not-so-happy ending was the best episode of them all. I'm talking of course of ESB.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Originally posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Yah. But I'm not excited about it. Some movies I watch for formality or tradition's sake. Like a new Jackie Chan movie, I knew damn well it's going to be like the previous ones, but I still watch it for the hell of it.

3rd movie being dark?

Here's to bust the bubble of some Lucas fans. 'Dark' old SW movies like Empire Strikes Back and... okay, just Empire Strikes Back... well, ESB ain't directed by Lucas, and the screenplay ain't completely by Lucas himself either.

Could Mr. Lucas pull something REALLY dark and grim off without the help of friends this time? Or will it be like Attack of the Clones? Haha. Maybe the only darkness I get in the end is after I gouge out my own eyeballs during the movie.
    George Lucas is going insane. He also thinks too high of himself. I will go see episode 3 simply because I'm curious about the story. I simply want to know how and why Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader and what happned to Luke and Leia at birth. I want to know what is Ben Kenobi's role in all of this. I want to know the story out of curiousity only. The prequels' story-telling so far has been very disapointing. Lucas turned the dark, powerful and menacing Darth Vader into a whiny teenager who's also still very immature. I just forget about that detail and only concentrate on the general picture of the how's and why's of the stories. The prequels background and special effects I don't care much. I don't even care about the characters. The only character that I really have an attachment to is Obi Wan.

IMO, the original trilogy was so much better. Even the special effects were better because things were still organic. To my eyes, today's CGI is not quite there yet. CGI characters still look very fake. Only the combination of both organic and CGI give a realistic object. I still much prefer the puppets and the models.

To me, a lot of the visual appeal of the original series was that everything was gritty and "dirty", giving the sense that people really did live in this universe and made it seem very...real. The past few movies have just been too clean and slick and lacked the same feel to it.

I do think that people are too harsh on the prequels in general. They aren't really bad movies by themselves, they just suck compared to the original trilogy.

I agree that the script for the first movie was pretty terrible. I like how they turned the whole Force mythos into Parasite Eve by saying microorganisms let Jedi use the Force. I've seen people say that the midichlorian crap was just some crazy theory Qui-Gon had that no one else really believed, which would be ok if they actually said something like that in the films.

I think the first movie would have benefitted a lot if they played up the whole Qui-Gon being deluded with his non-traditional theories on the Force thing, which is why he believes Anakin to be some sort of saviour rather than the antichrist. It would have made his character more tragic and interesting. That and not have the retarded Gungans or 15 minute long pod-racing scenes.

I guess the new movies just don't do the whole mythology justice. It's pretty telling when I'm looking forward more to the sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic video game much more than the new movie.

But I also agree that so many fans have become so jaded of the films, or have hopped onto the hate bandwagon to be cool that there's no way anything Lucas does won't get complained about anymore.
    This sig is only temporary.

For some reason, I never thought that the prequels came before the original trilogy. The technology and ships in the prequels look a lot more hi tech than the ones in the original trilogy.

Also another thing, if C3PO and R2-D2 met Luke's aunt and uncle in Episode II then why does the droids or the aunt and uncle recognize each other in episode IV?

Alot of people gonna die. I was quite surprised how many Jedi already died in the last battle in the second movie, I thought they were all one man armies.

I got a question I've been wondering for a while. Why did Episodes IV-VI come out before Episodes I-III? It just doesn't make sense.

Uhhh.....you do realize that episodes IV-VI were made in the 70's-80's right? New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi was the original storyline, then Lucas decide to milk the Star Wars cow, and create the prequels. Becoz they were prequels they are numbered I-III, and the old trilogy is numbered IV-VI.

I know that. When I saw the three films for the first time in 1995, I didn't really get why the three films were Episodes IV-VI and had no idea prequels were being made.

To me, a lot of the visual appeal of the original series was that everything was gritty and "dirty", giving the sense that people really did live in this universe and made it seem very...real. The past few movies have just been too clean and slick and lacked the same feel to it.

I do think that people are too harsh on the prequels in general. They aren't really bad movies by themselves, they just suck compared to the original trilogy.

I agree that the script for the first movie was pretty terrible. I like how they turned the whole Force mythos into Parasite Eve by saying microorganisms let Jedi use the Force. I've seen people say that the midichlorian crap was just some crazy theory Qui-Gon had that no one else really believed, which would be ok if they actually said something like that in the films.

I think the first movie would have benefitted a lot if they played up the whole Qui-Gon being deluded with his non-traditional theories on the Force thing, which is why he believes Anakin to be some sort of saviour rather than the antichrist. It would have made his character more tragic and interesting. That and not have the retarded Gungans or 15 minute long pod-racing scenes.

I guess the new movies just don't do the whole mythology justice. It's pretty telling when I'm looking forward more to the sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic video game much more than the new movie.

But I also agree that so many fans have become so jaded of the films, or have hopped onto the hate bandwagon to be cool that there's no way anything Lucas does won't get complained about anymore.
    I agree that by themselves, the prequels are not that bad but they are nonetheless part of the Star Wars saga so the comparaison is inevitable. Not that bad indeed but not that good either. The dialogs are atrocious and the acting is very wooden despite having very good actors. That's because actors have no real visual of the surrounding. Everything is in blue and they have to pretend there's something there. Then there's the virgin birth of Anakin and the medichlorian thing that I think is really stupid. I decided that I will ignore those points and pretend that I have never heard of those stupidities. Finally the overuse of CGI make me sick. There are too many things going on in each scene that it distracts from the story.

I don't dislike the prequels to be cool, I don't give a darn what others feel. All I know is that I am very disapointed at them. the OT were a fun adventure that I actually thought looked real. Thanks to GL's insanity, I have no choice but to buy bootleg copies of the true OT.

I now am looking forward for episode 3 because I just read that Obi-Wan will be in Ep3 a lot. He's the only character that I feel for. I care of what happens to him.

I don't understand why people think that "Revenge of the Sith" is such a bad name. Compare it to "Return of the Jedi". I mean, they're almost exactly the same!

Seriously...it fits the overall story, gives you an idea of what direction the movie will take and fits the theme of how the Star Wars movies have been named so far. What's wrong with it?
    The name might not seem like a big deal unless you consider how Star Wars fans have taken to shortening the names by using only the first letters of each word. Example: Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope is referred to as SW: ANH. Likewise with the rest of them: SW: TESB; SW: ROTJ; SW: TPM; SW: AOTC.

And now: SW: ROTS.

I think Lucas made a freudian slip in his choice of name. Star Wars was good as the original trilogy. TPM made us wonder about things (especially Jar-Jar...eesh), then AOTC killed it with terrible acting, an over-emphasis on FX, and the mere presence of Jar-Jar. And now the franchise ROTS like a zombie that just won't go down but can't truly live.
    Julien Chang

Default Oh no!

If I may say so, George Lucas is ruining perfectly good movies. I just know that will be the outcome, especially hearing that he shot new scenes and replaced certain actors in the original trilogy (Hayden Christiansen replacing Sebastian Shaw as unmasked Vader?! WHAT?!).

Somehow I have a feeling he'd make more money and please a lot more fans if he released two versions of the original trilogy on DVD: the original version (a la the THX-remastered edition put out before the SE), and this new "updated" version. The purists (like me) can have DVD-quality versions of the originals, and the ones who beg for continuity between Eps 1-6 can have their bastardized trilogy.

Yes, they are his movies and he can do what he wants. But, the whole series would have been a hell of a lot better -- not to mention much easier for him -- if he had tried to make the prequels match the originals instead of trying to edit 30 year old films to make them match the prequels. Not too mention, the prequels would have been much better if he had spent half the effort he spent on CG animations and muppets on the storyline instead.

With his silly new prequels and his horrid changes to the originals, I wonder 2 things:

1) did Lucas just get lucky and accidently make masterpieces the first time around?

2) has Lucas ever heard of something called a "script"?
    Julien Chang

Default Re: Oh no!

I think the first movie would have benefitted a lot if they played up the whole Qui-Gon being deluded with his non-traditional theories on the Force thing, which is why he believes Anakin to be some sort of saviour rather than the antichrist. It would have made his character more tragic and interesting. That and not have the retarded Gungans or 15 minute long pod-racing scenes.[/B][/QUOTE]

2) has Lucas ever heard of something called a "script"? [/B][/QUOTE]

it's very much likely lucas did use a script becos modern films are filmed around a rough script and i no this becos i do filming as my major work and trust me if yr 12 filmimg is hardcore without a script then multi million filmimg without it is just crazy.

But saying this the script was poor i guest he did'nt really pay so much attention to it considering the amount of graphics needed.

Also i agree if geoge lucas is just gonna try and remaster the 30 yr old epidoes then it's no pt, just go out and remaker 4 to 6 and get more money for it. Simply becos now when we watch episodes 4 to 6 after the prequels it just completely degrades star wars u might as well just remake it with new actors.

also i think he should make another trilogy after the last battle where the emperor dies.

and regarding that qui gon thing he wasn't deluded about the force his profecy was true anakin was the one who ended the war, except he did'nt forsee the part inbetween where he turns to the dark side. Technically luke did'nt do shit analkin was th eone who threw the emperor to his death. so yeh his profecy was true except he could'nt see him changing to the dark side. So reallly to me the hero of the whole star wars movies is analkin skywalker, not luke, not leia, nor obi.

Default Re: Re: Oh no!

Originally posted by - L1n -

it's very much likely lucas did use a script becos modern films are filmed around a rough script and i no this becos i do filming as my major work and trust me if yr 12 filmimg is hardcore without a script then multi million filmimg without it is just crazy.
    Yun's obviously being sarcastic.
    Swifty, Writing