Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memoirs Of A Geisha Casting

Watch.

Memoirs in Geisha? A star vehicle?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

They should cast Kelly Hu. I think she is a better choice than the girl in Rush Hour 2. Michelle Yeoh is a good choice also but I think my brothers would rather watch Kelly Hu than Michelle.....
    If the casting director still can't find the perfect actress to play the geisha, I'll be waiting by the door.

If they don't mind doing a drag version of Memoirs of Geisha, I won't mind being cast in it either. Haha!
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

You'll be dame sure the director will cast you if only he is gay. I don't know what you actually looks like but I think you'll be really hot in those kimonos

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

I think Youki Kudock (the actress from Snow falling on Cedars) will be perfect as the geisha. She is graceful and looks really feminine .....most importantly she can speak English and Japanese fluently !

Originally posted by DreamDay
    They should cast Kelly Hu. I think she is a better choice than the girl in Rush Hour 2. Michelle Yeoh is a good choice also but I think my brothers would rather watch Kelly Hu than Michelle.....
    If the casting director still can't find the perfect actress to play the geisha, I'll be waiting by the door.
    Kelly was my second choice !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Surprisingly, Youki WILL be in the movie. But here's the news.

===================
    All Reuters Movie News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chinese Actress Zhang Set for 'Geisha' Turn
    Friday August 20 2:38 AM ET

Zhang Ziyi, who co-starred in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," is in final negotiations to play the title character in the long-in-the-works film adaptation of "Memoirs of a Geisha," while the Oscar-nominated Ken Watanabe has signed on to play the male lead.

Gong Li, Michelle Yeoh, Youki Kudoh and Koji Yakusho also are in final negotiations to join the cast of the Columbia Pictures/DreamWorks/Spyglass Entertainment feature, which Rob Marshall ("Chicago") is directing.

Watanabe, who received an Academy Award nomination as best supporting actor for "The Last Samurai" will portray the Chairman, a high-powered executive with whom the young geisha, Sayuri, falls in love.

The Chinese-born Zhang will play Sayuri, the young orphan from a remote fishing village whose life changes when she is sent to the city to learn the ways of the geisha.

Yeoh would portray Mameha, the experienced geisha who becomes Sayuri's mentor, while Gong is wanted for the role of Sayuri's treacherous rival Hatsumomo.

Based on Arthur Golden's best-selling novel, the film is scheduled to begin production next month in Los Angeles and Japan. "Geisha" was adapted by Ron Bass, Akiva Goldsman and Robin Swicord.

Steven Spielberg, who had been attached to direct six years ago, will serve as a producer. He had cast Japanese-born dancer Rika Okamoto in the title role with hopes of shooting in the first quarter of 1999, but he turned his attention instead to "A.I.," "Minority Report" and "Catch Me If You Can."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    Swifty, Writing

All AP Movie News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Photo
    More Photos...

Zhang Ziyi to Star in 'Geisha' Movie
    Friday August 20 1:18 PM ET

After long years of development and some tricky Hollywood dealmaking, a movie version of the best-selling novel "Memoirs of a Geisha" is headed into production.

The book became a sensation around the world when it was first published in 1997. The story chronicles a young girl's rise from poverty in a Japanese fishing village to life in high society.

The lead role of Sayuri will go to Zhang Ziyi, the Chinese actress who starred in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and appeared in the comedy "Rush Hour 2," her publicist said Thursday.

For those unfamiliar with the story, a geisha is a Japanese woman schooled in the art of dance, singing and conversation to be a companion for wealthy men.

Zhang, 25, has been working to perfect her English for several years and now speaks the language with little difficulty.

"This is the first time that I will play the lead in an English-language movie. It will be a big challenge, but the studios, producers and director have shown great confidence in me. I will continue to do my utmost to make this the best role I've ever played," she told The Associated Press.

Ken Watanabe, an Oscar nominee for "The Last Samurai" will portray the Chairman, a high-powered executive with whom Sayuri falls in love.

Another "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" co-star, Michelle Yeoh, has signed to portray Mameha, the elegant and experienced geisha who becomes Sayuri's mentor.

"Geisha" will be directed by Rob Marshall, the Oscar-nominated director of "Chicago."

Marshall has long wanted to make this his next project, but was locked into a contract with Miramax Films, while Columbia Pictures and DreamWorks SKG held the rights to "Geisha." After lengthy negotiations that threatened to block his participation, a deal was eventually reached among the studios.

"We could not be more excited about the extraordinary cast that we have in place for `Memoirs of a Geisha,'" said Marshall, who's also a Tony-winning director and choreographer. "We are adapting a beloved piece of literature that has become a worldwide sensation, which made it important to me to assemble a cast with a prestigious international profile."

For many years, Steven Spielberg was interested in directing the film. He will now serve as a producer.

"From the time I first read Arthur Golden's novel, I wanted to see this as a film," Spielberg said. "It's a uniquely compelling story rich with characters who take you into a world you have never experienced before."

Production is set to begin in the fall, but the release date has not yet been specified.
    Swifty, Writing

Opinions on the casting?
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

I am so excited that I am going to have an orgasm.

Nah.

But at least Ken Watanabe's in it. Joy.
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Southern Crane
    Opinions on the casting?
    So Gong Li's not in it?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Originally posted by charbydis
    So Gong Li's not in it?
    Gong Li will play Sayuri's rival, Hatsumomo.
    玉木宏

blog

hmm... that AP report is missing quite a few announced cast names. Here's a little more info from my site:
    The primary cast was assembled after an exhaustive search, which began with several months in Japan and continued throughout Asia to find the perfect actor for each role. Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi will portray Sayuri, the beautiful young orphan from a remote fishing village whose life changes forever when she is sent to the city to learn the ways of the geisha. Japanese actor Ken Watanabe will portray 'The Chairman,' the high-powered executive with whom the young geisha, Sayuri, falls in love.

Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh will portray Mameha, the elegant and experienced geisha who becomes Sayuri's mentor. Chinese actress Gong Li will portray Sayuri's stunning and treacherous rival Hatsumomo. Rounding out the principal cast is Japanese actor Koji Yakusho as Nobu, the brilliant but tragic businessman who seeks to become Sayuri's patron and another Japanese star Yôki Kudô as Pumpkin, Sayuri's closest friend since childhood who also struggles on the path to becoming a geisha.

but why Zhang Zi Yi? not a jap woman?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I don't think everyone should keep dwelling on the idea that the majority of the cast of this movie is Chinese...

This movie will be in English and is directed toward the American audience.. Not like Americans can tell the difference between a Chinese and Japanese anyway..

My best wishes to Zhang Ziyi.. I'm looking very forward to watching this movie.. As "Memoirs" is one of my favorite books.

Anyone know the estimated date of release of this movie?

Yet unspecified date in 2005. Most likely after September in time for the Oscar race.

Just read the book early this week. Quite moving.

I was hoping they would cast Kristin Kreuk from Smallville. If you read the book, doesn't Sayuri have blue eyes or was it grey eyes that makes her special???? She speaks english and she looks so innocent. The girl in Last Samurai would also do great in that movie.

Who's playing Pumpkin and Nobu?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Koji Yakusho will play Nobu and Yôki Kudô will play Pumpkin.

hehe... Pumpkin's supposed to have large breasts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    Koji Yakusho will play Nobu and Yôki Kudô will play Pumpkin.

hehe... Pumpkin's supposed to have large breasts though.
    Gee. I don't even remember the details! LOL
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I hope that they'l also cast Shin Koyamada the one who played the son who died in the Last Samurai.