Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Death of an Empire

Coyote,

Any new chapters this year?

Chapter five so far reads and sounds contemporary. "Man, It's cold, how are you holding up?" However, your descriptions of the character and place still paints a picture in the reader's mind.

How would you think of saving the dialogues for when its something of importance? Other times, as an omnipotent (all knowing) writer, we can describe how the characters are thinking, like "buying their girlfriend the earrings she likes". Still "buying my girlfriend the earring she likes" sounds very contemporary. If it weren't for the chinese names and the events, I 'd think it was a modern story.

Sorry. I really think your story has potential. I suppose it always helps to watch chinese dramas that are set in the ancient times, after some time you'd talk like them too. Hahah. Actually TVB has a series called "King of Yesterday and Today" where two characters from the Ching dynasty got magically transported 200 years to the future and they both spoke with such formallity and well its just different from the way we talk now. So it was really funny to see them interact in the modern day. Anyway, Coyote, don't lose hope! Eventually people will notice your story. Introduce some more action, fighting, dare I say romance? or parental love/family love? tragedies, death of a family?

Looking forward to reading more of your writing!
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

dhis is really goooddd!!!! well i hope you'll write again soon

Hey,

Sorry it has taken so loooooooong to update, but life's been moving quickly for me lately, but it's finally slowed down a little, so I now have some time to do some writing

SS - It's great to hear from you, I always appreciate your feedback cause I always find that it helps.

Hahaha, in response to the contemporary dialogue in Chapter 5, I made the conscious choice to make them talk that way because I wanted to show that these soldiers were just ordinary people who led ordinary lives.

I was under the impression that only the nobility/the educated talked with formalities in ancient China. I think I should watch some more TV shows that take place in ancient China as you suggested (although my chinese is not very good, which is why I find it difficult to turn formal Chinese dialogue into written English dialogue)

As for the action, romance, political intrigues........I've already been trying to work these elements into the overall plot already, maybe they're just not showing through like I had hoped I'll definitely be working harder to get these themes across.

babiadorkable - thanks for the kind words and support. It definitely helps

Anyways, Chapter 5 is finished (finally!)
    I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth - Fry

Interlude: Portrait of a Killer

Kill! Kill! Kill! HAHAHAHAHA!!

An all too familiar voice echoed inside Jin Xiao’s head. For years, he had fought back the voice, ignoring the dark impulses that it asked for. But today…today, he gave in willingly; letting his other self take over.

The stench of blood filled the air as his body moved across the battlefield with deadly grace. With every body that his sword struck, the smile on his face grew wider. Yet, his other self greedily thirsted for more blood. His eyes focused until he could only see the person in front of him.

Jin Xiao became an avatar of death as his sword swung wildly like a hungry tiger looking for prey. Body after body fell to the deranged might of Jin Xiao.

Another moving body came into view. Jin Xiao grabbed the body by the shoulder and thrust his sword into its abdomen, stepping forward towards the body to dig the sword deeper. The lifeless corpse slumped to the ground and something of significance caught Jin Xiao’s attention, the design of the corpse’s armour.

”Wait! Something isn’t right…” he thought. ”Was that one of my own men?”

It doesn’t matter, they all need to die…too late to stop now…Hahahaha, isn’t this what you wanted? I am only giving you what you have desired for so long…since that day in Liaoxi.

Jin Xiao tried to regain control of his body but it was useless.

You must be tired…you should rest now…and let me finish the job that I am supposed to. Let me fulfill my destiny.

And for the second time that day, everything went completely dark.
    Last edited by ylee_coyote; 09-12-06 at 05:04 PM.
    I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth - Fry

someone took over his body? or is he jus going crazy? uh ohh xD update soon =]
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]

Chapter 6: Aftermath

Jin Xiao suddenly snapped into consciousness, finding himself kneeling in the dirt. It felt like waking up from a bad dream. His head hurt like it was hit over the head with a blunt object and his body was drenched with sweat. His disorientation to his surroundings alarmed him.

"What happened? Where am I?" A hundred of different thoughts shot through Jin Xiao's mind per second.

He tried to rub the grogginess out of his head with his right hand, but instead of his arm moving, a nasty shock of pain shot up through his arm. With much effort Jin Xiao looked down at his right arm and discovered an arrow lodged in the side.

"When....did that happen?"

Jin Xiao took a deep breath and took some time to gather himself. Looking around he realized he was still outside of Jieting. "The battle..." He had figured out the where, now his mind moved on to the other ninety-nine other questions that were without answers.

"Did we lose?" The bodies surrounding him suggested as much, many of the dead soldiers were men under his command. He tried to get up off his knees, with his bloodlust dying down, the pain from the battle finally caught up with him. After several minutes of painfully struggling to stand up, he finally decided that he was in no condition to move. He conceded to his fatigue and let his body collapse to the ground.

How are you feeling, my friend?

It was that voice again.

“Who are you?!”

Not very quick in the intelligence department, are you? I’m you of course.

Jin Xiao felt like he was just punched in the stomach, it was hard to catch his breath. “That…can’t possibly be true…”

The voice let out a sinister laugh, a laugh that lacked any kind of compassion.

You know it’s true. I’m the very manifestation of your madness.

And as if on cue, a geyser of blood burst through the ground, flooding the surrounding area. The blood flowed endlessly, almost covering Xiao’s motionless body.

“Either I move now or I drown!” he thought.

With speed unexpected of someone in his condition, he willed himself to stand up, but by the time he stood the blood was gone. Everything was as it was before.

The head of a corpse turned towards Jin Xiao. Its lifeless eyes stared intently at him. Jin Xiao noticed a large slash on its neck.

Now you’re wondering whether if any of this is real…or perhaps this is the worst nightmare you’ve ever had. It certainly feels real, doesn’t it?

The voice seemed to resonate through the slit in the neck.

“How is this possible?”

Of course, you probably think all this as a unique occurrence. But believe me when I say that I’ve been with you since that day in Liaoxi…living inside you, feeding off your despair. I’m the throbbing bloodlust that you feel in the back of your head. I represent the deepest, darkest desires that you harbour in the emptiness of your heart.

“Why show up now?”

Because you’ve given me everything I wanted today and I thought it appropriate that I show myself and grant you my gratitude. Which reminds me…

A burning sensation exploded across Jin Xiao’s skin. Looking down, he realized that maggots were crawling out the pores of his skin. He frantically tried to brush them off, but when he did so, more continued to appear. He screamed at the top of his lungs; partially because of the pain, partially because of the futility, but mostly because of his growing madness.

Thank you.

Back in the Qiang command tent, the atmosphere was one of elation and relief. The Battle of Jieting was a complete success. The city itself was captured intact with minimal casualties. And all this was achieved through the careful direction of Zhuge Liang.

Of course, as an outsider, Zhuge Liang had a hard time convincing his subordinates to adopt his plan. It was even harder to convince them to adopt such a risky plan. Prior to the battle, Zhuge Liang had discovered an unknown, yet talented soldier within the ranks of Jieting’s army. Meeting him under the cover of darkness, he convinced the soldier into defecting and as a result, the existence of a little known pathway was revealed.

“My mother showed it to me when I was a little boy,” the soldier said, pausing to reminisce about more peaceful times. “Only the rural villagers outside of the city know about it. The Imperial Army will never expect an attack from that direction.”

This was exactly the type of strategy Zhuge Liang had in mind. Many generals of this day and age have a romanticised view of combat. They yearn for the battles of the past, where warriors fought one on one and honour on the field was paramount. Such was the thinking of the old, strict adherence to tradition. It was a line of thinking that completely frustrated Zhuge Liang.

Zhuge Liang’s youth held the promise of achieving great things within the Han government. At the age of 18, he had already passed all of the governmental exams and had been assigned a position in the city of Luoyang, the capital of the Han Dynasty. Yet what he saw there as a young man with an endless desire to make a better world, disillusioned him more. Nothing in the courts could ever get done without citing the literary works of past thinkers, but these past thinkers always advocated the maintenance of the status quo. If you proposed any changes that even slightly went against tradition, then you were branded as a heretic. It was a vicious cycle of stagnation that existed within the government. Zhuge Liang knew that time only flowed forward and by always looking back, the people could never see what was ahead.

For two years he watched the government diminish into an institution of inaction. It was at this point that he left his post and went into seclusion, shunning a world that refused to change. This seclusion lasted till his former master, Liu Bei, visited his home to request his services. Many assumed that Zhuge Liang agreed to help Liu Bei because he held some feelings of loyalty towards the Han Dynasty, but this was not the case.

On the contrary, both men knew that the Han Dynasty was on its last legs. It was through Liu Bei’s shrewdness (something that many underestimated) that he utilized the restoration of the Han Dynasty as justification to oppose the rising Cao Cao in the North. Although some might see this as lacking in morals, it must be understood that Liu Bei was working within the confines of the society that he lived in. The two men also knew that even though Cao Cao appeared to be a reformist, his true aim was towards the throne and once that is achieved, the same stagnation would plague the new government. Sun Quan, the other major player, was content in staying in the South and as such, had limited ambitions.

Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang were the only ones who could achieve reform that benefited the entire Han people. This belief was never doubted by any of the two.

Alas, Liu Bei’s desire to bring about change ended all too soon at the Battle of Chi Bi, a loss that has haunted Zhuge Liang since. It was a miscalculation on Zhuge Liang’s part that his prediction of the wind’s direction was grievously incorrect. Many capable officers lost their lives that day, both on Cao Cao’s side and on the Allied Forces side.

But Liu Bei’s dreams did not die with him. Zhuge Liang never understood the notion of “dying for one’s ruler.” He did not understand how Zhang Fei and Guan Yu could throw their lives away, all in order to fulfil a ridiculous oath of brotherhood. True loyalty was living on and trying to fulfil your lord’s dreams and ambitions to the best of your abilities, even when your ruler has passed on to the other life.

“Hopefully, we’ll be able to achieve what we couldn’t that day Lord Liu Bei,” he thought.

While the Qiang leader, Man Ning, has stated openly that he fought against the oppression of the Wei government and wished for change, Zhuge Liang knew better. Man Ning was fighting for something else entirely

"You've certainly inherited your father's focus," he chuckled inwardly. Zhuge Liang had already foreseen the possibility that Man Ning would become a problem, but for now, as long as Man Ning's goals did not interfere with his own, they will continue to work together. Of course, Zhuge Liang had already come up with several scenarios in the event that Man Ning would ever become a hindrance.

“Lord Zhuge Liang, soldiers have been dispatched in local clothing as per your order so as to mix in with the refugees heading to Chang An,” announced a Qiang soldier.

“Thank you.”

Times change, and as a result so do strategy and tactics, a fact that the Imperial Army cannot grasp. With Qiang soldiers fighting outside the city walls and inside the city itself, the army at Chang An will implode from the inside out. The next phase was about to begin.
    Last edited by ylee_coyote; 02-28-07 at 05:04 AM.

Chapter 6 complete. Let me know what you guys think.

I think it's fanstastic, please update soon =] The voice in Jin Xiao is quite creepy. Is this story part fantasy? like maybe a demon entered him. Or he's just suffering from mental disorders?

"True loyalty was living on and trying to fulfil your lord’s dreams and ambitions to the best of your abilities, even when your ruler has passed on to the other life." <--- I really like that line. Zhuge Liang is a really admirable character. Your story potray him in a different aspect from mine.
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]

Hey, hey, hey

Long time no see :P

Anyways, I'm long overdue on adding a new chapter. Personally, I think my writing might be getting a bit weaker. I certainly feel the beginning chapters are a lot better.

What do you guys think? I would love to get some feedback

Incognito (Chapter 7)

The stream of refugees seemed endless. People huddled together with their loved ones as they all made their odyssey towards Chang An. Disguised as residents of Jie Ting, Zhao Rong and his men blended in with the crowd and moved along with the stream of people.

Their disguise was flawless. Zhuge Liang had formed this elite group of warriors and trained them in the mannerisms and speech patterns of the Han people. They were to act as a guerrilla unit to sow discord with the enemy ranks when the time came. This was nothing new to the Qiang, they had been practicing hit and run tactics for generations, but to do so while pretending to be the enemy; that was something Zhuge Liang had proposed.

“Zhuge Liang was a dangerous man indeed,” thought Zhao Rong.

Living amongst the enemy was an…enlightening experience to say the least. Zhao Rong had never gone past the familiar mountains of the West in all his life. The mountains of his homeland, they seemed to exist in a distant memory. The loving embrace of the surrounding cliffs, the fresh crispness of the mountain air, the sheer power that they exuded…they were all the things that he that he had taken for granted. With all that has happened recently, Zhao Rong was reminded about how much his home had become a part of who he was.

Travelling through the Central Plains of China, the flatness of the environment around him instilled a feeling of dread. The protective cradle of the mountains was gone, where the distance of the mountains could act as a limit for the horizon and some semblance of certainty could be established, the plains gave no such comfort. The horizon was endless, infinite…to look any further would cause a person to look into one’s own soul. It was a scary proposition for any man to face his own insecurities and faults.

On the other hand, it was not an entirely negative experience. While the mountains of his homeland were a comfort to him, it also acted as a cage to his people. This was something that he had learned from Man Ning, his commander.

While back home, Zhao Rong had a reputation of being “sagely and wise” amongst his subordinates and it was an image that he has tried hard to uphold, it was something of a revelation that he really knew nothing at all. He carried many misconceptions and assumptions about these people of the East: self-indulgent, egotistical, and power hungry. These were beliefs that were deeply rooted.

Yet, it was the arrival of Man Ning that truly opened his eyes to the world around him.

Man Ning was an enigma of a man.

Arriving in Zhao Rong’s village from the West two years ago, many assumed he was another trader heading to the East. However, the more observant ones noticed that he travelled alone and carried no wares that could be sold. Zhao Rong still remembered the look in his eyes as he passed by the on-lookers, examining each and every person. His eyes held an ambition and purpose that he had never seen in another person before. Calmly, this strange man entered the village leader’s hut.

A few moments later, he exited the huts in shackles. There was no resistance as he seemed to accept the turn of events. It was at this point that the village was abuzz with gossip on the identity of this strange man.

“He’s a spy sent from the enemy tribes,” some said. Others believed in the myths of old, painting the man as a saviour that’s come from the West. Zhao Rong did not know what he believed then, but the fact remained that he had grabbed their interest. If this was Man Ning’s intention, Zhao Rong did not know then and he did not know now.

The younger villagers were the first to listen to what he had to say, sneaking in to where he was kept. Drawn in by their inquisitive nature, the young ones were always the first to accept new ideas. And they, in turn, spread out what Man Ning had told them. Eventually, word of mouth reached Zhao Rong’s ears.

Man Ning’s ideas were radical, they were ideas that Zhao Rong had never heard before, but they were interesting enough to him that he resolved that he had to meet the man himself.

One night, he approached the hut where Man Ning was being kept. Two guards stood at attention by the doorway, both on alert. It would definitely take some verbal finesse to get past this situation. Of course, the easy way to do things was to use his imposing figure to intimidate the two guards, but that was not Zhao Rong’s way of doing things.

“Good evening gentlemen, I wish to speak with the prisoner tonight.”

The two guards looked at each other, not knowing what to say.

“We’ve been instructed by the village elder to prohibit access to the prisoner….on account of all the lies he’s been spreading to the young ones.”
    “I have trained you both and imparted my wisdom onto you. The same can be said about your brothers and your fathers. My ties with your family are deep. Will you not grant me this one favour?” Zhao Rong said with his best smile. It was a smile that was genuine but it also showed that he meant business.

“But you also taught us discipline and that we must obey the orders of our elders.”

Ah so they were listening to me, Zhao Rong thought.

“That is true, so I order you to let me see the prisoner. If anything I’m just as old as the village elder.”

Both guards laughed. “And that’s why we call you ‘The Jolly Sage’”

“Don’t worry, I won’t be in there that long. The elder will not even find out about this.”

And so he entered the prisoner’s hut with the goodwill of the guards. Zhao Rong was greeted with silence as he entered. The hut was not much of a prison. It was a normal hut that the villagers used to live in, with the exception that the imprisoned area was separated with wooden bars. And even the bars were warping from years of rainfall.

The way Man Ning moved back when he arrived indicated to Zhao Rong that he knew how to use a sword and had the dexterity to move about quickly. His physique also showed enough strength that he could easily break the bars if he wanted. He was definitely someone who had the skills to break out of here, and yet he sat there calmly, unmoving.

The man met Zhao Rong’s gaze in silence.

“So,” Zhao Rong thought, “he wants me to speak first. No problem in that.”

Zhao Rong had no real expectation as to what he would get out of meeting this man. If only he knew how much the conversation taking place would change the course of his life.

These people of the Han, they were really no different from the Qiang. Certainly, they held different values and beliefs, but deep down inside, Zhao Rong saw that they all lived out their lives with the same concerns and same goals.

A mother coddled her newborn baby as the group continued along their trek. She sang a song for her that Zhao Rong had never heard before, but it was pleasant to the ears nonetheless. The lyrics spoke of happier and carefree times. Perhaps she was singing this song as a promise to her child that things will indeed become better.

Zhao Rong looked on with sentiment, observing firsthand the unconditional love of a mother and smiled. He was glad that he had an opportunity to see the world like this and there were still plenty of things he had yet to see from what Man Ning had told him.

”We all have the same goals,” he thought. “We all want to create a better world for our children.”

To strive to build a better future, this was the common thread that bound us all.

“Man Ning…he is the only man capable of bringing this better tomorrow.”

Zhao Rong’s resolve was strengthened.

“Bear with these hardships a little while longer,” he said addressing the mother in his mind. “Things will become better, I stake my life on this promise.”
    Last edited by ylee_coyote; 07-16-08 at 12:14 PM.

Trouble in Chang An (Interlude)

Three weeks have passed since the fall of Jie Ting.

The Nanman tribe have completely occupied the territories of Yizhou and Hanzhong. Instead of following through with their momentum, they have adopted defensive formations along the regions’ borders. It was as if they were waiting for some sort of signal.

Reports from the North suggest that Lu Man has been able to hold off the Xianbei tribe to a stalemate, but with sightings of approaching Qiang troops from the East, retaining Imperial control over Xizhou is highly unlikely.

However, the most immediate threat to Cao Cao’s empire came from the events occurring in the Central Plains. After their victory at Jie Ting, the Qiang have continued their march towards Chang An. To complicate matters, survivors from Jie Ting flowed into the city gates like a tidal wave. Their stories of the Qiang’s demonic attack speed and thoroughness spread through Imperial troop ranks like an uncontrollable wildfire. Troop morale took a tremendous hit as a result.

Given the current situation, a strategic meeting was convened in a tent set up just outside of Chang An’s central palace.

A stark contrast to the splendour of Chang An’s past, many of the palace rooms laid barren of any aesthetic value. Many of the city’s treasures had been moved to the capital of Xuchang so as to prevent the enemy from gaining any wealth in the event of the city’s fall. With the increased space, Cao Rui had ordered the palace converted into a refugee shelter.

Such an order was met with much opposition from the elite class, but the elite class were still loyal to Cao Cao’s rule, and as such, the Prince’s orders still carried some weight.

The tent was devoid of the comforts that Cao Rui had been used to back at home. It was an annoying aspect that gnawed at him, but now was not the time to complain. Current events did not allow it. In such trying times, he was the Emperor’s representative and the people expected him to bring about peace, just like his father did long ago. Shifting uncomfortably in his wooden chair he listened as the meeting continued.

“Refugees from Jie Ting have continued to pour into the city for the last three days and there is still an estimated five thousand people still approaching. Chang An is reaching a critical point in terms of supplies and space,” explained a city official.

“Your highness, we need to close the city gates now.”

Cao Rui leaned back within his chair and rubbed his chin. It was a habit he had developed recently. He felt a patch of stubble growing. Its unevenness gave away his relatively young age. “When was the last time I shaved?” he wondered. Mundane thoughts like these were few and far between, but were welcome nonetheless. They were a reminder of simpler times for the Prince.

“How many more people will we be able to take in?” Cao Rui asked.

“At most, five hundred. And even then, there is the issue of keeping public order. Unrest is stirring amongst the native inhabitants of Chang An. They blame the refugees for creating such horrid living conditions and forcing them to live on rationed goods. Some of the residents are forming gangs to steal supplies from the refugees.”

“Those damn fools! We’ve already got enough problems with the Qiang, we don’t need our own people causing trouble for us” the Prince said through gritted teeth. “What about the reinforcements we requested from the capital?”

“The Prime Minister has assured us that he is sending us whatever he can acquire for the defensive effort.”

“Good, we just need to hold out till the additional troops get here. In the meantime, we need to keep things in order here in the city. These people have entrusted us with keeping them safe, it is our divine responsibility to live up to their expectations.”
    Last edited by ylee_coyote; 07-17-08 at 03:52 PM.