Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: HSDS 1st Edition (translated into English from the Indonesian translation by BBT/OKT)

you're translating this at an awesome speed. thanks for taking the effort Kirara

i was wondering, is the name Kirara from the Samurai 7 anime? :P
    Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.

post #19
    Zhang JunBao felt dismayed, but because he did not feel that he had done anything wrong, he did not feel scared although the old monk's face was so scary. "No, in this monastery, nobody ever taught me any martial arts," he replied in a loud voice. "I always stay in the Library, sweeping the floor, boiling water, and serving Teacher JueYuan. Those few moves of Kuo-han Fist, I learned them by myself, and if there are some mistakes in them, I'd be happy if Elderly Monk would teach me."

The old monk grunted and with blazing eyes like fire, he glared menacingly at JunBao. For a long time he glared at his face without saying anything.
    JueYuan knew that Sim-sian Hall had a very high status in Shaolin Temple and that he was the martial uncle of the Great Abbot Tian Ming. Seeing how the old monk was treating his pupil, he was puzzled. Suddenly, when his eyes met the old monk's eyes which filled with hatred, his mind recalled something. He remembered that more than 20 years ago, accidentally he found in the Library a slim book with handwrittings which wrote down a big incident in Shaolin Temple. The story was like this:

Seventy years ago, the Head, or Abbot, of Shaolin Temple was the Great Abbot KuCheng, who was the great martial Uncle of TianMing. According to the custom, once a year, at the Tiong-ciu celebration, a kung fu contest would be held in DaMo Hall, led by the Abbot, the Head of DaMo Hall, and the Head of Luo Han Hall. The aim of the contest was to evaluate the pupils' improvement in the martial arts within the past one year.
    Out of expectation, a very sad happening occured during the contest.
    After all the pupils showed their kung fu, the Head of DaMo Hall, Reverend KuZhi, went up the platform to evaluate each pupil's skill. While he was talking, suddenly a toutuo (a monk who does not shave his head) came up and yelled: "Great Monk KuZhi's speech is full of dog's farts! He knew nothing of the real meaning of martial arts, but how dare he, to sit as the Head of DaMo Hall! How disgraceful!"

Everyone was shocked and looked at that man, and found out he was the toutuo who worked in the kitchen as the one in charge to lit up the fire. Before their Teacher could say anything, the pupils of DaMo Hall became so furious they quickly swore back at him.
    "Shut up you all!," yelled the toutuo. "The teacher is dog's farts, the pupils are also dog's farts!"
    After swearing, he stood in the middle of the room with a beligerent attitude. Some monks quickly came forward to beat him up, but one by one they could be defeated very easily. Furthermore, that toutuo was very mean. Nine leading disciples of Damo Hall were either severely injured or at least they suffered broken arms or legs.

Great Monk KuZhi was shocked and furious. He noticed that the toutuo's kung fu was Shaolin's own, so he was not an outsider coming to disrupt Shaolin Temple. Restraining his anger, KuZhi asked who his teacher was. "I learned by myself, no one taught me, " he replied.
    What had been the cause of this toutuo's behaviour?
    It turned out that for many years he had been bullied by the head of the kitchen, who was very bad-tempered and often beat up his subordinates without any compassion at all. Bearing a grudge against this mean superior, he secretly learned kung fu by himself. He had a good chance to do this, because almost all of Shaolin disciples were skillful at kung fu. If one was determined to do something, sooner or later he would succeed. Furthermore, because he was very intelligent, after more than ten years, he achieved a high level of kung fu already. But he hid the fact that he knew kung fu, and obediently did his duty to light the fire in the kitchen. If the head of the kitchen beat him, he did not attack him back. His Internal Strength was powerful now, so he was not scared of any beatings. With patience, he kept on practising. After he was sure that his skill was superior than all the monks in Shaolin Temple, he decided to take revenge, just at the Tiong-ciu celebration and the on the day of the contest.

The grudge and anger that he was keeping buried for so many years had caused him to hate all the monks in Shaolin Temple to the core of his heart. Because of this, he had acted so cruelly by seriously injuring those monks.
    After knowing the reason of the toutuo's anger, Great Monk KuZhi laughed coldly and said: "I am really impressed by your action." He quickly stepped down from the platform and soon a very fierce duel occured.
    In that era, KuZhi was someone having the highest martial arts inside Shaolin Temple. The two of them immediately attacked each other using the most powerful moves and styles, and very soon they had fought for about 500 moves.

As time went by, the battle became more and more heated until it reached a point where KuZhi could in fact kill him by hitting his major acupoints. But remembering how hard the toutuo had learned his kung fu until he finally achieved this high level, KuZhi felt pity and compassion towards him. Therefore he just threw his arms wide while shouting: "Step back!".

But what a shame that the toutuo mistook the Great Monk's good will. He thought that by spreading his arms wide, Great Monk KuZhi meant to attack him using Sin-ciang-Pat-ta (8 Blows from the God's Palm), one of Shaolin's most powerful kung fu technique. He remembered that when a monk was practising this style, he was able to chop off a wooden log using bare hands. So he knew how dangerous this style was. But because he gained his kung fu by stealing them and never received any real advice from a skillful teacher, he had not been able to understand the basic essence of Shaolin School of kung fu.
    He could not guess that by spreading his arms, KuZhi was in fact using Hun-kay-ciang (Break and Open Palm) to borrow and remove internal strength, in order to stop the fight as soon as both parties took a step back. Instead, he thought that KuZhi was going to launch a blow with Liat-sim-ciang (Heart-splitting Blow), which was the 6th move from Sin-ciang-Pat-ta. Guessing that way, he thought: "Not that easy to kill me!". He leapt forward instead and hit the monk using both his hands.

The blow came as if an erupting mountain. Shocked, KuZhi hurriedly turned his hands over to ward it off, but it was too late. With a sound "Buk!" the monk's left arm and 4 of his ribs broke! All the monks were shocked and became frantic - simultaneously they came forward to rescue him. But KuZhi was already severely injured, he could only breathe heavily and could not utter a word. That evening he passed away.

While the whole Shaolin Temple was shaken with great grief and sorrow, that night the toutuo sneaked into the kitchen and killed the bad-tempered monk along with 5 other monks who had ever bullied him.
    This incident had created great unrest and fury in the history of Shaolin Temple. The Great Abbot immediately ordered a lot of monks with high-level kung fu to arrest the cruel toutuo, but even after they searched wide and far in the entire Kanglam and Kangpak areas (areas on the south and north of the Great River), it was all in vain.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 01:16 PM.
    http://zhaomin.org

Originally posted by ClayPoT
    you're translating this at an awesome speed. thanks for taking the effort Kirara

i was wondering, is the name Kirara from the Samurai 7 anime? :P
    Thanks, ClayPot. But I wish I could be faster, can't wait to reach where Wuji is the lead

Errr... not that cute Kirara, but just the cat in Inu Yasha anime! :P
    Miaouw!!
    Last edited by Kirara; 08-19-04 at 03:46 PM.

post #20
    Due to that incident, Shaolin Temple lost its peace and the leaders often wrestled for power, blaming one another. In his anger, the Head of Luo-han Hall Reverend KuWei went off to the Western borders, where he founded a branch of Shaolin School. Pan TianGeng and his two martial younger brothers were the pupils of Reverend KuWei.

That was the story written in that slim book which was accidentally found and read by JueYuan.
    After that, Shaolin's kung fu deterioriated. To prevent the same incident from happening, the Great Abbot created a new rule, stating that every Shaolin's disciple could only learn kung fu from his own teacher, and must not steal kung fu skills. Whoever broke the rule would receive a severe punishment - the most severe being put to death, and the most lenient being paralyzed by cutting his muscles and nerves, so that he would be a cripple. For many years, this rule held very strictly and so there was no more incident of a pupil stealing kung fu skills. After many more years, slowly people's memory of the big incident faded away.

That old monk from Tian-sim Hall was one of the late Reverend KuZhi's pupils. All these years, he had never forgotten the pitiful death of his teacher. That's why as soon as he learned that Zhang JunBao aquired a high level of martial arts without any teacher, he was reminded by the very sad incident and his grief and anger filled up his heart.

Remembering what he had read, JueYuan broke into cold sweat. "Great Abbot!" he shouted. "This....this.....we cannot blame ....JunBao....."
    But before he even finished his sentence, Wuxiang thundered: "Pupils from DaMo Hall! Charge! Seize him!"
    Within a second, 18 pupils of DaMo Halls leapt forward surrounding JueYuan and his pupil. Because they made a big circle, Guo Xiang was also trapped along within the circle.

"Pupils of Luo-han Hall! Why didn't you come forward?" shouted the old monk from Sim-sian Hall. Luo-han Hall's disciples quickly came forward and made 3 more layers of circles encircling the one made by DaMo Hall's disciples.

Zhang JunBao became extremely confused. He did not feel he was wrong having defeated He ZuDao!
    "Teacher," he shouted. "I....I....."
    For more than 10 years, JueYuan had lived together with his pupil and the love between them was as if one between a father and his son. He knew that if JunBao was siezed and punished, if he was not killed, he would be a cripple.
    "If not attacking now, when are you going to attack?" Great Monk Wuxiang yelled.

The 18 disciples from DaMo Hall immediately began to attack fiercely. Without thinking, JueYuan whirled his two iron pails around using a huge Internal Strength, so that all the monks could not go near. Like two huge pendulums swinging around, the two iron pails whirled dangerously, forcing the monks to step back. After driving back all the attackers, suddenly JueYuan swept Guo Xiang off into the pail on the left and JunBao into the pail on the right. Then as if flying, he dashed down the mountain carrying the two youths. The sound of his chains grew fainter and fainter and quickly died away.

Because the rule in Shaolin Temple was very strict, once after the Head of DaMo Hall gave an order, all the disciples would obey until the end. So all the monks quickly chased after Jue Yuan though they knew it would be in vain. In the chase, it was obvious whose kung fu were superior and whose kung fu were inferior.The monks who did not have a good Lightness kung fu were soon left far behind. The day changed into the night, and only 5 monks were still able to keep on chasing. But suddenly they found the road divided into several smaller ones, and they did not know which one Jue Yuan took. So with a heavy feeling, they were forced to return to Shaolin Temple to report and to await for furher orders.

After running more than 50 km or so, JueYuan stopped running. He found out that he was now on a quiet mountain. Though he had a very powerful Internal Strength, running for so long while carrying such a heavy burden, had made him feel exhausted too.
    Guo Xiang and JunBao quickly jumped out of the pails, which were still half full with water. They were all wet, and were still in a state of shock, so their faces were still pale. "Teacher," said JunBao. "Please rest here, and let me look for some food."

But in such a deserted mountain, where could he look for food? After going away for a few hours, he returned with only some mountain fruits. After eating, they took a rest for a while by leaning themselves on the rocks.
    "Great Monk," said Guo Xiang. "Those monks from Shaolin Temple are really weird."
    JueYuan did not reply, he just uttered: "Hm."
    "Really mad," said the girl. "Nobody in the monastery could match He ZuDao, and he could be defeated only by relying on the powerful Internal Strenth of yours both. But instead of thanking you two, they wanted to arrest Brother Zhang. Really mad! They seemed unable to tell which is black which is white."

JueYuan took a deep sigh. "In this case, actually we cannot blame The Great Abbot and Big Brother Wuxiang," he said.
    "In Shaolin Temple, there is this rule that stated....." He could not continue, and kept coughing contineously.
    "Great Monk, you are too tired," Guo Xiang said while patting his back. "You can tell us tomorrow."
    JueYuan sighed again. "Yes, I'm too tired," he said.
    Zhang JunBao quickly gathered some dry twigs and made a fire to dry Guo Xiang's and his own clothes. After that, the three people slept under a big tree.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 02:23 PM.

post #21
    In the middle of the night, Guo Xiang was suddenly awaken. She heard JueYuan muttering something to himself, as if he was reciting some Scriptures. He was saying: ".....His internal strength blocks my skin and hair, but my will has penetrated his bones. Two palms meet and resist each other. Energy flows through. The left one is heavy, the left one is empty, while the right one has left away. The right one is heavy, the right one is empty, while the left one has left away...."

Now Guo Xiang was certain that what the monk was reciting must be from a book about martial arts.
    "Great Monk does not know any kung fu, but he is a bookworm he memorized whatever he read," she thought. "Several years ago, at the peak of Mount Hua, he said that beside Leng-keh-keng (Leng Qie Jing or Leng Ga Sutra), Reverend DaMo also wrote a book called Jiu Yang Zheng Jing. He said that the book was to help people make their body stronger and healthier. But after practising according the the theory of the book, without knowing it, both teacher and his student had acquired such a powerful Internal Strength that is umatcahble in the realm of kung fu. That day, when he was attacked by Xiao XiangZhi, with just a single movement he had injured his attacker. Even Father or Big Brother Yang might not own such a high level of skill. The way Zhang JunBao defeated He ZuDao is more puzzling. Isn't it because they have learned Jiu Yang Zheng Jing? Aren't the words he is reciting now is Jiu Yang Zheng Jing?"

Thinking so far, Guo Xiang sat up slowly so as not to startle the monk. She listened more carefully and memorized what the monk recited. "If it's true that what the Great monk is reciting now is Jiu Yang Zheng Jing, it would be impossible for me to understand it in such a short time," she thought. "Let me ask for his advice tomorrow."

Meanwhile, JueYuan muttered further: "First use the heart to instruct the body, and following other people' will, not following one's own will. Later the body will be able to obey the heart. Obeying the heart while following others' will. Following one's own will means failing, following others' will means living. By following others' will we can evaluate his strength, big or small, we can recognize the opponent, long or short. With this knowledge, we can move forward or backward freely...."

Listening until here, Guo Xiang shook her head. "Wrong, it's wrong," she thought. "Father and mother often said that when we are facing an enemy, we have to act first to control his movements, and never let ourselves be controlled by the enemy. What the Great Monk said is completely wrong."

While the girl was mulling over what JueYuan was saying, the old monk continued: "The opponent does not move, we do not move. The opponent slightly moves, we moves first. The strength as if loose, but not loose, as if going to to be used, but not used. The strength breaks, but the mind does not break....."

The more she listened, the more confused Guo Xiang became. Since she was small, she had been taught to always take control over the opponent, or else, if she was too slow, the opponent will take control over her. So in a nutshell, the basic essense of her kung fu was "to move faster than the enemy". But JueYuan said that "following one's will mean failing, following others' will means living". And all of those were the exact opposite of what she had ever been taught.
    "If I am fighting an enemy and if at the critical moment I just follow his will - if he wants me to go to the east I go to the east, if he wants me to go to the west I go to the west - won't I be like a snake asking for the beating-stick?" she asked herself.

Martial arts with basic essence of "Controlling the enemy by moving later than him" only received acknowlegement and respect in the Ming Dynasty, namely in the golden era of Bu-ciat School. So it is understandable that at that time - the late Sung Dynasty - JueYuan's words had confused Guo Xiang.

Because she doubted the theory said by JueYuan, Guo Xiang could not catch a lot of his words. When she looked to another side, she saw Zhang JunBao sitting cross-legged listening to his teacher with full attention. "All right, no matter right or wrong, let me just listen," she thought. "With my own eyes I saw the Great Monk injured Xiao XiangZhi and drove He ZuDao away. As someone having such a great skill, he must have a good reason for what he is saying.". Thinking this way, then she concentrated again and carefully listened to each word said by the monk.

JueYuan continued reciting and sometimes he would insert some parts of Leng Ga Sutra. This could happen because actually Jiu Yang Zheng Jing was written within the characters of Leng Ga Sutra, so that that when he memorized Jiu Yang Zheng Jing, because of his rather dull brain, he also included the words from Leng Ga Sutra and mixed it all up. Of course Guo Xiang became more confused. But thanks to her high intelligence, she managed to memorize some parts of what she had heard.

The moon started to move to the west, and the monk's voice grew lower and softer. "Great Monk," Guo Xiang said persuasively. "You're already tired, please sleep again."
    But JueYuan behaved as if he did not hear anything, and continued with a louder voice: "The strength is borrowed from the other person. Your energy must generate from your spine. From both shoulders going down into the spine and down to your waist. This is the energy that goes down from above, and it is called "hap" (Closing in). Then, from the waist, the energy rose up into the spine and spread to the arms and shoulders. The energy that's going up from below is called "Kay" (Opening). Hap means drawing in, Kay means releasing. Anyone who understands the meaning of Hap and Kay will also understand the meanings of Ying - Yang (negative - positive)".
    His voice grew softer, and finally nothing was heard anymore, as if he fell asleep. Guo Xiang and JunBao did not dare to disturb him, and they just sat memorizing whatever they had just listened to.

Not long after, the stars in the sky began to disappear, the moon sank further to the west, and the night became pit dark for a while, until soon from the east the light started to shine.
    JueYuan remained sitting cross-legged with his eyes closed, unmoving and a smile was seen on his face.
    "Miss Guo, aren't you hungry?" whispered JunBao. "I'm going to go for a while to look for some fruits." When he turned his head, he saw a faint shadow behind a tree, someone wearing a yellow robe. He became startled and shouted: "Who's there?"
    A tall old monk appeared from behind the tree and he was no other than the Head of Luo-han Hall, Reverend Wuse.

Gu Xiang was surprised and happy. "Great Monk," she greeted him. "Why did you keep following them? Do you also want to sieze this teacher and his pupil?"
    "No matter what, I can still tell the right from wrong," he said with a sincere expression. "I'm not blind in following a rule. I have been here for a long time ago, so if I really had wanted to sieze them, I wouldn't have waited until now. Brother JueYuan, Big Monk Wuxiang and his pupils are chasing you to the east. Hurry up and run to the west."

But the monk kept sitting cross-legged, and did not move even a bit.
    JunBao came up to him and called out: Teacher, please wake up. Reverend from Luo-han Hall wants to speak to you."
    JueYuan kept silent and unmoving. With his heart beating very fast, JunBao touched his teacher's cheek
    and found it to be as cold as ice. JueYuan had passed away!
    The pupil leapt to embrace his teacher with a heart-wrenching shriek, shouting, "Teacher! Teacher!" and sobbed.

Reverend Wuse brought his hands together and said in a low voice:

"The sky has no clouds,
    in four directions all is bright,
    the wind brings in a fragrant scent,
    the mountain is all quiet.
    Today you found a great happiness.
    Free from dangers, free from sufferings.
    Isn't it something worthy to congratulate?"

After praying, the religious monk left without saying anything anymore.

Not only JunBao, but Guo Xiang also wept for a long time. Following their belief, all Shaolin monks must be cremated after they passed away.Therefore, the two then gathered dry wood and twigs and cremated JueYuan's body.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/kirara/images/004.gif
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 01:16 PM.

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Originally posted by Kirara
    [B]

JueYuan continued reciting and sometimes he would insert some parts of Ni Jia Scriptures. This could happen because actually Jiu Yang Zheng Jing was written within the characters of Ni Jia Scriptures, so that that when he memorized Jiu Yang Zheng Jing, because of his rather dull brain, he also included the words from Ni Jia Scripture mixed it all up. Of course Guo Xiang became more confused. But thanks to her high intelligence, she managed to memorize some parts of what she had heard.

Well, about Ni Jia Scripture (Athena's translation), please read my comment on it at:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...310#post257310

IMO Leng Ka Keng should be transliterated into Leng Qie Jing or Leng Ga Sutra. The name of the Sutra is Lankavatara Sutra, meaning (Gautama Buddha) entering (Sri) Lanka.

post #22
    After everything was taken care of, Guo Xiang said sadly: "Brother Zhang, I have the feeling that those Shaolin monks will keep trying to seize you. Therefore, I hope you will be careful. Now it's time for us to part, in the future I am sure we will have the chance to meet again."

The young man's tears fell down flowing on both his cheeks. "Miss Guo," he said hoarsely. "Wherever you go, I want to follow you."

Hearing his reply, the girl felt extremely sad and she said with a trembling voice: "I am someone who's just wandering around in the world, and I don't know where I'm going to go myself." After pausing for a while, she continued: "Brother Zhang, you're still so young and inexperienced in the realm of matial arts, and besides, those Shaolin monks will keep chasing you around. I have an idea." While saying this, she slipped off her gold bracelet from her wrist and gave it to the young man. "Bring this bracelet to the city of Xiangyan and ask to meet my father and mother," she said again. "They will treat you kindly. As soon as you are under their protection, those Shaolin monks won't be able to trouble you anymore." With tears in his eyes, JunBao accepted the bracelet.

After a while, Guo Xiang said again hoarsely: "Please tell me parents that I am fine, and that I am hoping they won't worry about me. My father loves heroic young men, so after he sees you, probably he will take you to be his pupil. My little brother is simple and modest, I'm sure that he can get along well with you. My elder sister is rather arrogant and if anyone makes a small mistake to her, she won't restrain herself and will scold him harshly. But if you step back and let her have her own ways, I think nothing bad will happen."
    After saying this, she turned around and walked away.

Zhang JunBao's sadness at the exact moment was incomparable. With Guo Xiang's departure, he felt he was all alone in this wide world. He stood there as if in trance for a long long time in front of the piles of wood and ashes used to cremate his teacher. After he was through with crying, slowly, with his heart breaking, he left the place. But after walking a few meters, he turned back again and took the two iron pails that belonged to his late teacher. Then, again, he left the place with unsteady steps, with a great feeling of loneliness, and sorrow.

After about half a month, he arrived in the HeBei province, and was not far anymore from the city of Xiangyang. Luckily, thanks to Great Monk Wuse, he did not meet any of his pursuers.
    That day, in the afternoon, he arrived on the foot of a big mountain. When he asked a peasant there, he learned that the mountain was Mount Wudang, which was not only big and magnificent, with dense forests and deep gorges, but also very scenic and beautiful.

While strolling and enjoying the great nature's beauty, suddenly two persons passed by his side - a rustic man and a woman - who walked side by side. From they way they behaved, unmistakably they must be husband and wife.

Having good ears, JunBao could hear that the wife was scolding her husband: "You're a man, but instead of setting up a family of your own using your own ability, you always depend on your sister and her husband, so in the end you get insulted. The two of us have our own arms and feet, we must be able to earn our own livings. Even if we have to live very poor as peasants, at least we can live freely. You're a man with no spine, what's the use of you living in this world? People often say: except death itself, no matter is big enough. Can't you live without depending on other people?"
    The husband did not dare to respond, his face turned purple, like a pig's heart.

The woman's speech hit JunBao's heart accurately. "You're a man, but instead of setting up a family of your own using your own ability, you always depend on your sister and her husband, so in the end you get insulted. ......Can't you live without depending on other people?"
    He stood unmoving, thinking about those words. After a moment, the husband said something too but he couldn't catch it and soon, the two of them laughed happily. It seemed that the husband had decided to stand by his own feet and the wife became very happy.

"Miss Guo said that her elder sister is bad-tempered and liked to scold people, so that I had better always give in to her," he thought. "I'm a real man, why must I disgrace myself like that in front of other people just because I want to live safely? That peasant couple has the fighting spirit still, to live on their own feet. Do I, Zhang JunBao, must always live in another person's house and live a life feeling anxious of the host's eyes?"

After thinking for a moment, he made a brave decision. Carrying the two iron pails on his shoulder, he immediately climbed up Mount Wudang. Since then on, he drank mountain water, ate fruits, and practise Internal Strength based on Jiu Yang Zheng Jing. Due to his high intelligence and also because what he was learning was a very extraordinary book in the realm of kung fu, after a bit over 10 years or so, his Internal Strength had reached a very high level.
    One day, when he was walking on the mountain, he saw a fierce battle between a snake and a bird. Being very agile and fast, the bird attacked the snake fiercely from all kinds of direction, but he was still one level inferior than the slow-moving snake, so finally he flew away in defeat. Suddenly something striked JunBao's mind and for 7 days he thought about it in the cave. All of a sudden, he understood, his eyes as if able to see through a curtain which had been hiding a secret. That very moment he had understood an amazing basic technique in the kung fu realm, that was: with Jiu (Gentleness) fighting Kong (Force). Before realizing it, he raised his head to look up and laughed loudly.

That happy laugh meant the emergence of a new Tay-cong-su (great teacher) in the realm of martial arts. Using his own technique, combined with his powerful Internal Strength based on Jiu Yang Zheng Jing, he created a swordmanship later known as the Wudang swordmanship, whereas his pupils will later unified themselves in a "School" or "Clan" known as the Wudang Clan.

After a few more years, while travelling in the Northern China, he saw three mountain peaks (San Feng) which were so beautiful that he then used the title SanFeng for himself, and later he would be known as Zhang SanFeng.

What about Guo Xiang? For many many years, the girl wandered to the 4 corners of the world to search for Yang Guo and Xiao LungNu. Because of her pure love towards Yang Guo, she searched for him until she herself grew old, and she had no regret for this. But Yang Guo and Xiao LungNu disappeared and never reappeared anymore. When she reached her 60th birthday, suddenly Guo Xiang's eyes were opened, and then she shaved her head and lived as a woman priest at the peak of Mount E'Mei. There, she practised her kung fu diligently, and so her skill got to higher and higher level. Later she also took some pupils and they then unified themselves in a new Clan called E'Mei Clan.

On the other hand, after experiencing defeat in front of Shaolin Temple, The Three Saints of Kun Lun He ZuDao returned to the West, and in accordance with his promise, he never stepped foot in China anymore. After he grew old, he took a pupil and taught him the three skills of playing the zither, the sword and the chess. That was why, although Kun Lun Clan was based far in the West border, Kun Lun's disciples were usually bun-bu-coan-cay (well-versed in both the martial arts and literary arts).

In the future, the most famous Clans in the realm of kung fu would be Shaolin Clan, Wudang Clan, E'Mei Clan, and Kun Lun Clan. In these four clans, there will be a lot of high-level kung fu experts.

That day, when JueYuan was reciting Jiu Yang Zheng Jing before he passed away, there were three people who listened to it, namely Great Monk Wuse, Guo Xiang, and Zhang JunBao. Because the knowledge, talent and intelligence of the 3 people varied, what they understood were also different. That way, the kung fu of Shaolin, E'Mei and Wudang were much different, and only a bit were similar.

Guo Xiang was the daughter of two martial arts experts and the style and techniques were also various. Because of that, E'Mei Clan's kung fu were the most colorful, and if one just learn one technique, as long as understanding the basic essense, it would be enough to make him obtain fame and reputation in the realm.

As for Great Monk Wuse, at the time he listened to Jiu Yang Zheng Jing, he was already an established kung fu expert. Though obtaining Jiu Yang Zheng Jing improved his kung fu, but basically he did not gain that much.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 01:23 PM.

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    Well, about Ni Jia Scripture (Athena's translation), please read my comment on it at:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...310#post257310

IMO Leng Ka Keng should be transliterated into Leng Qie Jing or Leng Ga Sutra. The name of the Sutra is Lankavatara Sutra, meaning (Gautama Buddha) entering (Sri) Lanka.
    Thanks, Du Gu, I have edited them all.

I was translating while watching the VCD, different stage of the story, of course. Feel so weird translating Zhang JunBao as a young man but at the same time watching him as an old man on the screen.

There will be one more post before I can start with Chapter 2: The Dragon Sabre.
    Last edited by Kirara; 08-20-04 at 04:23 PM.

post #23
    From the 3 persons, it was Zhang Jun Bao who gained the most. At that time, except the 4 moves he learned from Yang Guo and a few strokes from Luo-han Palm, he had never learned kung fu. Therefore, he had aquired the purest essence of Jiu Yang Zheng Jing. However, because he had never studied under an experienced teacher, he lacked the basic essense of kung fu itself, so there were a lot of parts from Jiu Yang Zheng Jin that he did not understand. Later, after witnessing the battle between the snake and the bird, he realized the basics of kung fu. But when it happened, he had not remembered much of Jiu Yang Zheng Jing anymore because many years have passed.

This way, Shaolin's, Wudang's and E'Mei's kung fu had its own strength and weaknesses. The three great masters from the three Clans listened to Jiu Yang Zheng Jing together and they learned, improved, corrected, and created their own amazing kung fu based on their own talent and intelligence.

The Goan Dynasty was a Mongolian dynasty ruling in China. During the period, people did not pay much attention to the literary arts because the patriotic people were eager to study martial arts to drive the Mongolians away. Therefore, in that era, there were a lot of amazing kung fu experts appearing in the realm of kung fu. Their number was bigger, and their skill was higher than the experts in the late Sung Dynasty, namely the era of Guo Jing, Huang Rong, Yang Guo, Xiao LongNu and others. The experts coming from the West were mostly from Kun Lun Clan, whereas the experts from China were mostly from Shaolin, Wudang and E'Mei Clans. Other than the 4 Big Clans, there were still hundreds, even thousands of smaller clans.
    Here ended the introduction to the story of the Dragon Slaying Sabre or The Heavenly Sword and the Dragon Sabre.

End of Chapter 2
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-07-04 at 01:22 AM.

Please give me a bit break before embarking with the real HSDS from chapter two. I need to sink in all the pin yin namings again in my brain.

I would also like to thank Athena for the Chinese pin yin I have learned from her translation of the first 2 chapters.

I would also like to thank Meh, the translator of the HSDS second edition from chapter 3 - 9, 20 - 22, and to Faerie Queen, the translator of the HSDS second edition's chapter 10.
    From now on I would have to refer to Meh's and Faerie Queen's pin yin.

Lastly, thanks for all the help, encouragements, and for reading.

Great work Kirara! You've definitely earned yourself a break. Hope to see you back in action though!

[b][size=4]Chapter 3: The Dragon Sabre[/size]

post #24
    That year was the Second Year of Emperor Goan-sun-te's reign. It had been 60 years since the downfall of the Sung Dynasty.

It was the third month of the year, and the people of Kanglam were enjoying the beauty of spring. That day, when the sky was beginning to get dark, a con-su (a knight/hero) about 30 years-old, who was wearing a blue robe and a pair of grass shoes, was seen walking on the road in big strides. On both sides of the road, red peaches and green liu trees were showing off their beauty, but the man did not pay attention to them even for a bit.
    "Today is the 24th of the Third Month," he thought to himself. "Until the 9th of the Fourth Month, there are only 14 days left. If I don't waste any more time, I would be able to arrive in time at Giok-hie-kiong on Mount WuDang, to wish a happy 90th birthday to Teacher."

That con-su's surname was Yu, and his name was DaiYan, the third disciple of Zhang SanFeng (Zhang JunBao), the founder of Wudang Clan. After he reached 70 years-old, when his kung fu reached a very high level, Zhang SanFeng began to take disciples. Because of that, although he himself was already 90 years-old, his seven disciples were still young. The head disciple, Song Yuan Qiao, was not yet 40 years-old, while his 7th and youngest disciple, Boh SengKok, was still a young teenager. But although those 7 disciples were still young, they had done good and noble works which shook the realm of martial arts. Whenever people talked of them, the experts from the realm would give a thumb up and said: "WuDang Cit-hiap (The Seven Heroes from WuDang Clan) are heroes from a Clan that is noble and morally correct." they said.

At the begiining of that year, Yu DaiYan received order from his teacher to kill a big outlaw who was making the helpless ordinary pople suffered. However, that outlaw was not only possessing a good kung fu, but also very sneaky. After searching for him for two whole months, finally he found his lair, and challenged him to fight. After a fierce duel, he managed to kill him using the 11th stroke from Thay-kek-kun, called Hian-hian To-hoat (Silence lllusory Sabre). He had calculated that he would be able to finish his job within 10 days, but it turned out that he had to take 2 months to do it. Counting the days, his teacher's birthday was already so near, so he left the city of Leng-lam in a hurry.

The longer he walked, the narrower the road became, and on its left side was the beach. Suddenly he saw a flat plane which was so smooth and glimmering like glass and it was divided into squares , and each square was about 3-4 meters square. Being someone who often travelled in the North and South part of the Great River, DaiYan had a lot of experience, but never before had he seen such an interesting scene. After asking a local, he learned that those squares were salt-fields. To make salt, the locals poured sea water into those squares. After they became dry by the sun, they would then dig the salt-containing sands, which was later boiled and dried once again until they became white salt.
    "I have been eating salt for 30 years, but I've never known it is this troublesome to make it," he thought.

As he was walking, suddenly he saw more than 20 people carrying some big containers approaching him from a small path on the west side. All of them were wearing the same uniformed clothes: green top and green short trousers, and their heads were covered by a wide straw hat. Just in a glance, he could guess that the content of those big containers must be salt.

He knew that the government officials along the beach were usually very mean and greedy and they usually took a very expensive royalty on salt. Therefore, although the ordinary people lived so near the sea, they could not afford to buy and eat salt legally, and they were forced to resort to buying illegal salt. Judging from their body figures and behaviour, it was almost certain that what these people carrying were illegal salt. This was not something puzzling. What's puzzling was their containers. Each container - not bamboo nor wood - was black and did not have bouncing ability, so it was easy to guess that they must be made of iron. And even more puzzling, although each person was carrying something at least weighing 150 kg, their strides were very fast and in a moment they had passed Yu DaiYan.

"Those illegal salt smugglers must be good experts of kung fu," he thought. "Since a long time ago, I had heard that Hay-see Clan (Sea Sands Clan) in Kanglam region trade in illegal salt, and they have a great power in the region with their skillful disciples. But it is really puzzling to see more than 20 kung fu experts walking together carrying containers of salt."

Yu DaiYan was someone who loved to investigate suspicious or strange things. Normally, he would have investigated more into this strange event. But remembering his teacher's birthday, he did not wish to waste his time. Therefore, using his Lightness kung fu, he walked faster and soon he caught up with those salt carriers and passed them, making them surprised to see how light his steps were.

As the night fell, Yu DaiYan arrived in a small town and after asking a local, he found out that the town was called Am-tong-tin in Gie-yauw-koan province. From there, after crossing the River of Cian-tong, he would arrive at Lim-an, and after turning to the south west, and after passing Kang-say province and Ou-lam province, he would reach Mount WuDang. That night, because there was no more boat crossing the river, he had to spend one night in a small inn in Am-tong-tin.

After dinner, and just after washing his feet and was going to go to sleep, suddenly he heard the noise of some people asking to rent rooms in the inn. Hearing someone talking in a very loud voice with Eastern Ciat-kang accent, he looked out and found out that those people were no others than the salt carriers he met earlier. Usually, people from illegal salt trade were crude people who loved to drink wine and eat like starved demons. But unusually, these salt carriers just asked for rice, vegetables, and bean curds. After eating their dinner, without drinking any drop of wine, they went to sleep. Yu DaiYan too, after practising his Internal Strength for a while, lied down in his bed and fell asleep.

About midnight, suddenly he heard a faint rustling sound from the room next to his own. At that time, Yu DaiYan had learned WuDang Clan's kung fu to a very high level, so that even when he was being very sound asleep, the soft rustling sound was enough to wake him up.
    He heard someone whispered softly: "Sshhh...quietly. Don't wake the next room's guest up so we won't be found out." They opened their door quietly, and soon afterwards more than 20 figures were seen leaving the inn's courtyard. Yu DaiYan peeped at them secretly from his own window. Carrying their containers, they jumped over the wall outside. Although the wall was not too high, the fact that they could easily jump over it while carrying such a heavy burden proved that they were no ordinary kung fu experts.

"Their kung fu cannot match mine yet, but more than 20 high-level kung fu experts making a journey together is a rare happening, " thought Yu DaiYan. For a moment he stood there feeling hesitant. The words said previously about not wanting to be found out bothered his mind very much. If he had not heard those words, he wouldn't want to pry into their business, even if he were awaken. But those words had awaken his heroic spirit. "What crime are they going to do?" he asked himself. "After I knew this, I have no other choice than interfering. If I can save 1-2 innocent people, even if i came too late for Teachers's birthday, certainly Teacher won't scold me."

Yu DaiYan came to this decision because before he received any disciple, Zhang SanFeng always advised them that after they suceeded in becoming a kung fu expert, they must be chivalrous and must always be willing to to help fellow human beings and the needy. That was why the name of The Seven Heroes from Wudang was very famous. They were famous not only because of their high-level of kung fu, but also because of their noble deeds. Remembering his teacher's advice, Yu DaiYan quickly took his sabre and his cloth bag of darts, then jumped out of his window and over the wall outside.
    As soon as he was outside the inn, he heard footsteps going toward the northeast. Hurriedly he gathered his strength and followed them using his Lightness kung fu.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-07-04 at 01:22 AM.

Originally posted by Gunner
    Great work Kirara! You've definitely earned yourself a break. Hope to see you back in action though!
    Thanks, Gunner. Back already!
    Last edited by Kirara; 08-21-04 at 01:08 PM.

Wow Kirara. You are the fastest translator i have ever seen.....i hope you continue to stay dedicated and eventually finish novel.

You rock as well
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

post #25
    That night was a starless night, the sky was very dark covered by thick clouds. Seeing the speed of those people, as if they did not feel the heavy weight of the containers at all, Yu DaiYan became more puzzled. "Illegal salt traders walking in the middle of the night is nothing surprising," he thought. "What's surprising is the level of their kung fu. With that high level of kung fu, if they really wanted to do evil, not only could they rob a rich man's house easily, but they could also rob a government official's house easily without his bodyguards able to stop them. So why were they willing to do such a lowly job with small pay as to be salt carriers in the middle of the night? It does not make sense. There must be a reason behind this unusual event." Thinking this, he kept following them secretly.

After following them for about half an hour, the illegal salt traders have covered more than 20 miles. They did not know that they were being tailed because beside they were in a hurry, the person tailing them was someone having a superior Lightness kung fu.

Not long after, they arrived at a road by the side of the sea, and wave by wave were rolling to the shore in a loud thunderous sound.
    As they were walking, out of a sudden one othe the salt traders, the leader, uttered a startled sound and the rest quickly halted their steps. "Who's there?" shouted the leader.
    "Are you friends from Three Water Sides?" someone hiding in the darkness asked back.
    "Right, and who are you?"

Yu DaiYan became confused. "Who are they, friends from Three Water Sides?" he asked himself. But soon he understood that with "Three Water Sides", they must mean "Hay-see-pay" (Sea Sand Clan), because all of the left sides of the three Chinese characters "Sea", "Sand", and "Clan" contained the three strokes meaning water.
    "I advised you not to meddle in the business of the Dragon Sabre," said that man in the dark.
    The leader got startled. "Are you here also for the Dragon Sabre?" he asked.
    "Hah-hah-hah!" the man laughed eerily. He did not reply.

Hearing that eerie laughter, Yu DaiYan's heart beat faster. That sound of laughter was so eerie and strange that it was hard to describe it, and as soon as it entered one's ears, his mind would soon turn topsy-turvy, as if a lot of hairy worms were crawling on his back. Feeling very curious, secretly he came nearer.
    With his trained eyes, he could soon see that blocking the way in the middle of the road, was a man whose body was skinny. Because of the darkness, he could not see his face clearly. What he could see was that this man was carrying a staff, while his clothes were glittering with dots of shining light, so he drew a conclusion that he was wearing an embroidered robe.

"The Dragon Sabre is a treasure belonging to our Clan," said the leader of Sea Sand Clan. "The sabre had been stolen by somebody, and so it is natural for us to try to recover it back."
    Again the skinny man laughed eeirily and kept blocking in the middle of the road.
    Suddenly a man who stood behind the leader yelled loudly: "Get out of our way! You dare to halt us, you're just looking for your own death......." Before he could finish the sentence, he screamed painfully and fell down backward. All his friends were shocked. Almost at the same time, the glittering dots of light from the man's robe moved several times and he disappeared from view.

All the members of Sea Sand Clan were shocked and furious, because they found out that their friend was already dead with his body curled on the ground. Some of them quickly dropped their containers to chase that skinny man. But the enemy was as fast as a lightning and not even his shadow was seen anymore.

Yu DaiYan became extremely perplexed. "What kind of secret flying weapon did that man in embroidered robe use?" he asked himself. "How could he have killed somebody without even moving his hands nor body? I'm not that far from them, but I couldn't even see any movement at all." He continued hiding behind a big rock, so that those furious members of Sea Sand Clan couldn't see him.

"Let's leave Fourth Brother's body here for a while," said the leader. "We have to finish our more important business first. Later, after we finish our business, we'll take care of his body. We must also investigate who that enemy is." All his friends obeyed him and soon they left while carrying their containers.

After they were far gone, Yu DaiYan came out from his hiding and approached the man's body. He died curling his body as if a shrimp and from the way he looked, he must have been killed by a kind of poison, so Yu DaiYan did not dare to touch him. After hesitating and thinking for a moment. he gathered his energy and quickly ran to catch up with the members of the Sea Sand Clan, who had gone rather far in front.

After passing a few more kilometers, the leader said something in a low voice and his friends quickly dispersed and began sneaking quietly to surround a building located at the northeastern side.
    "Is the Dragon Sabre in that house?" Yu DaiYan wondered.
    On top of that big house, there was a hole for smoke, and from that hole, a black smoke continued to come out and for a long time it filled the air without dispersing.

The illegal salt traders quickly put their containers down to the ground and each person took out a wooden ladle which was then used to spoon out a thing from their containers. That thing was then sprinkled around the building. Looking that the thing was as white as snow, Yu DaiYan was sure it must be a kind of salt. "What I am witnessing tonight is really a very amazing scene," he thought. "Even if I told Teacher about it, perhaps he wouldn't believe me."

While spreading the salt, the Sea Sand Clan's members seemed to be very cautious, as if they were scared the thing would come into contact with their body. Being an experienced person in the martial realm, Yu DaiYan immediately understood that the salt contained a very vicious poison to harm the people in the building. His chivalrous spirit was awaken instantly. "I have no idea which side is in the right and which side is in the wrong," he thought. "But these Sea Sand Clan people's action is too lowly. No matter what. I must warn the people in that house, so that he won't be harmed by lowly people." Seeing that they had not yet reached the back of the house to spread the salt, he took a different road around to approach the house from the back, and then jumped over the wall of the courtyard.

The courtyard was very large, and on it there were 5 buildings containing 30-40 rooms and what's puzzling was that all the rooms were very dark, there was no lamp lights nor candle lights at all. "The smoke came out from the middle of this house, so there must be someone there." he deducted. Not wanting the people in the house mistaking him as an enemy, he took a dried twig, lit up a fire and burnt it. Raising this torch above his head, he said: "WuDang Clan disciple, Yu DaiYan, came to inform you a secret. I have no ill-will towards you, so I hope you won't feel suspicious of me." Although he spoke softly, his voice was clear and reaching far, so his every word should be able to be heard by anyone in all the 5 buildings. But even after he repeated what he said twice, there was no reply still.
    Last edited by Kirara; 08-22-04 at 02:57 AM.

Originally posted by duguxiaojing
    Wow Kirara. You are the fastest translator i have ever seen.....i hope you continue to stay dedicated and eventually finish novel.

You rock as well
    Thanks, Duguxiaojing.
    I try to update twice a day

post #26
    Yu DaiYan was a hero from a big and famous Clan, so his gut was also bigger than ordinary people. Although the building was so scary, he wouldn't show any weakness. Without even taking out his sabre but just gathering his energy so that all his five senses would be sharper, he quikly stepped into the house which top was emitting the black smoke.

After passing a big hall, he arrived in a room at the back. Suddenly he stood still, because he saw that on one side of the room there were two dead bodies, one was wearing a Taoist priest's attire, while the other was wearing a peasant clothes. The two persons were elderly and his facial expressions looked so scary as if they were suffering terribly before they took their last breath. But on their bodies, there were no signs of wounds made by sharp weapons.

Yu DaiYan walked on to check the other rooms in the house. He found out that each room's door was opened wide, but all the rooms were pit dark he couldn't see clearly what was inside them. Except his own small torch, there was no single light in this very big house. Although he was a brave man, he couldn't help having his heart beat faster.

Then he turned to a room at the side, only to see a more frightening scene. In that room, there were more than 20 corpses, their weapons still in their hands. Judging from their faces, some had died some time ago, and some had just died recently. "From their weapons, I can see that many of them own high level kung fu," he concluded. "Among those weapons, there are weapons to hit acupoints, Ngo-heng-lun (Five Element Wheel), Poan-koan-pit (a kind of writing brush used as a weapon) and other various weapons. If these people were not skilful in YueDao/accupoints kung fu, they would not have carried such weapons. But why did they die here? Why?"

At first he entered the house with an easy mind. But now, after seeing the many dead bodies of high level kung fu experts, he became more cautious. "WuDang Clan disciple Yu DaiYan wants to meet the Honorable Host to inform you of something." he shouted. There was still no reply, but from a room in the middle, now he could hear the sound of people blowing a fire accompanied by the crackling sound of fire. With cautious steps, he approached the sound, and after jumping over a wall, he arrived at the middle room.

He was shocked because his felt a gust of very hot air hitting his face. In the middle of the room he saw a fire stove made of big rocks and the fire in it were burning in big flames. Around the stove there were 3 people who were blowing the fire using Internal Strength, whereas on the stove there was a sabre which length was about 110 cm. Because of intense heat, the fire flames turned from red to green and from green to red again, but the light shining from the sabre remained glimmering brightly and it did not melt nor damaged by the big fire.

The 3 persons were about 60 years-old, and all of them were wearing a green robe. Their faces were smeared with black soot, and their robes had a lot of small holes as a result of burning debris flying towards them. From their heads, some white steam was rising up, and while gathering their energy, they blew at the fire slowly. Each time the fire was blown, it would emit flames as tall as one and a half meter, engulfing the shining sabre. Yu DaiYan realized that the 3 men must have a very high level of Internal Strength kung fu. Although he was a few meters away from the stove, he could feel the intense heat coming from the fire, so one could imagine how hot it was to be standing so near the stove like the 3 people. But strangely, although engulfed by the greenish fire, the sabre did not melt nor change color.

Suddenly from above the roof a voice was heard: "Stop it! Damaging that precious sabre is a great sin!"
    Yu DaiYan's heart beat faster, since he recognized that it was the voice of the person with the embroidered robe. But the 3 old men ignored the voice and blew with more strength. All of a sudden, accompanied by an eerie laughter and the flash of golden glittering dots, the man wearing the embroidered robe descended into the room as if a falling leaf. Aided by the light from the fire, now Yu DaiYan could see his face clearly, and that man turned out to be a young man of about 20 years old, and he had a handsome face, but his face was pale and emitting a greenish gleam. The golden embroidery on his robe was very gorgeous and beautiful, with pictures of a lion, a tiger and flowers. His attitude was calm and he did not carry any weapon. "Tiang Pek Sam-khim (Three Long White Elders), why do you want to damage that precious sabre?" he asked coldly while taking a step forward.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/kirara/images/005.gif
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 02:24 PM.

post #27
    The old man standing on the west suddenly spread his 5 fingers and clawed at the man's face. The man in embroidered robe gathered his strength and took a step forward to evade. The old man on the east quickly took a hammer lying near the stove and plunged it on his head. But the young man's movement was very fast. He leaned his body to the side and again he could evade the second attack. The hammer hit a vacant space and fell to the floor, emitting burning stone powder. The stone floor was not made of ordinary stone, but of very hardy mountain stones.

Again the old man on the west attacked with the fingers of both hands spread out like chicken claws. He attacked fiercely using very vicious moves to kill, that Yu DaiYan felt puzzled. "What big grudge do these 3 persons have that they fought using such cruel moves?" he asked in his heart.

But the man in embroidered robe was very skillful. Although being attacked viciously by the two old men, he could ward the attacks with a nonchalant attitude and grinning face. After fighting for several moves, the old man with the hammer yelled: "Who are you? Even if you want the precious sabre, you must first tell us your surname and name."

But the man in embroidered robe did not reply, and just laughed coldly. Suddenly he turned around and "crack-crack," the old man on the east was thrown high up, hitting the ceiling and creating a big hole on it, then falling down outside in the courtyard!
    The old man with the hammer could think fast. He realized that the enemy was very powerful, and that it would be impossible to defeat him even if they attacked together. Therefore, hurriedly he took a pair of thongs nearby and used it to clip the Dragon Sabre.

At that time, the old man on the south had prepared with his secret darts and was waiting for a good chance to throw them at the man in embroidered robe. But the young man's movements was so fast so he had not found any chance yet to attack. Now, when he saw that the old man on the east took the thongs to clip the Dragon Sabre, he became startled. He was sure that as soon as the Dragon Sabre fell into his friend's hands, there was no way he could get it back. After that friend owned the Dragon Sabre, how could he match him?
    Fearing this, he did not use his brain anymore and like a flash his hand reached out to the stove and gripped the sabre's handle.

Although it did not melt from the heat of the fire, the sabre was burning hot. So as soon as the old man touched it, a white steam rose up and everyone could smell the smell of burnt meat. But as if not feeling pain at all, he kept standing there with his hand holding the sabre, his eyes glaring wide. Surprised, the fight stopped and everyone just stood there feeling shocked. Then, the old man jumped back and holding the Dragon Sabre, like a mad man he ran out of the room.

The man in embroidered robe laughed coldly. "You think it's that easy, huh?" he said while leaping after him, and then after grasping him at his back, he threw him backward. The old man quickly turned his hand and the Dragon Sabre lunged forward. Before the sabre even came near, the man in embroidered robe already felt a jet of hot air attacked his face, and soon his eyebrows and part of his hair curled and burned. The young man was startled and did not dare to parry the sabre using his bare hands. Fast as a lightning, his hands pushed forward and the old man's body flew right into the burning stove!

Yu DaiYan watched the fight since the start, but he did not want to meddle because the business with that precious sabre was unrelated to himself. However, seeing the old man's life was in danger, without much thought he gathered his energy and leapt. While his body was still in the air, he grabbed the old man's hair and lifted him up away from the fire, and then with a very beautiful spinning movement, he landed on the floor. This style, which was the realm's highest skill in Lightness kung fu, was called Tee-in-ciong (Cloud-Stairway Leap). The man in embroidered robe and the 3 old men of Tiang-pek Sam-khim, who had not paid attention to him, became very shocked. "Isn't that leap the world-famous Tee-in-ciong?" asked the young man.

Hearing the man mentioning the name of his leap, Yu DaiYan was startled at first, but then he felt happy that it was praised. "That ugly style is not worth to be mentioned," he replied with modesty. "May I know your Honored surname and name?"

"Good! Good!" he said, without answering his question. "People say that Wudang Clan's Lightness kung fu has no match in the realm of martial arts. That saying is true." Although the words were giving praises, but they were said with an arrogant tone, as if a Cianpwee (someone of higher level) praising the skill of a Houwpwee (someone of lower level).
    Yu DaiYan felt insulted, but he restrained himself "With just one attack you have killed someone from Sea Sand Clan," he said. "It's hard to imagine how high your ability is."
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 01:23 PM.

post #28
    The man was surprised. "Eh, he saw me, but I didn't see him," he thought. "Where was he hiding?". He smiled coldly and said as coldly too: "Right. It is hard for an outsider like you to understand. Perhaps not even the Head of Wudang Clan can understand it."
    Yu DaiYan was a very patient man, but hearing the insult directed towards his teacher, he became angry. However, he could control himself still, since he felt that there was no need to add another enemy just because those disrespectful words. He smiled and said: "In the realm of martial arts there are various skills, from the righteous path and the evil path of the realm. Wudang Clan only has a tiny bit of skill in the vast and deep ocean of kung fu. It is true that my Teacher doesn't have that skill of yours." This reply seemed to be modest, but actually it contained a "thorn" that sticked into the man in embroidered robe because it was as if saying that Wudang Clan would not bother to learn any skill from the evil path of kung fu.

Meanwhile, suddenly the old man who was holding the sabre spun the Dragon Sabre around, and tried to escape outside. Because he was the nearest, Yu DaiYan was the first to be attacked. He felt a big force sweeping towards his waist. After he saved his life, he never thought that he would be attacked by that old man. At the crucial moment, he managed to kick the floor with the tip of his foot and his body bounced up. The old man quickly ran outside while whirling the sabre aimlessly around like crazy. The man in embroidered robe and the other two old men did not dare to use force to take the sabre from him, so they just ran after him while shouting loudly.

Yu DaiYan followed them. Because of his superior Lightness kung fu, he reached the old man earlier though he started later than the other three. He blocked the old man's way, as he was running unsteadily while carrying the sabre with both hands, as if he didn't have the strength to carry it with only one hand.
    When he knew that his way was being blocked, he shouted out loud and using all his strength, he leapt far ahead and soon his body flew out passing the main gate. But strangely, as soon as his feet landed on the ground outside, he suddenly fell to the ground and screamed in pain, as if he was heavily injured.

The man in embroidered robe and the other 2 old men rushed to him and tried to pick up the sabre, but at the same time, they also fell to the ground while screaming loudly, as if bitten by a snake or other poisoneous animal. The man in embroidered robe had the highest level of kung fu, so he managed to quickly jump up and ran away as fast as he could. But the 3 old men kept rolling on the ground and could not get up anymore.

Seeing this shocking incident, Yu DaiYan hurried forward to help them But he stopped short with a start, because suddenly he remembered about the poisoneous salt spread around by the Sea Sand Clan members. Witnessing the effect the poison had on Tiang-pek Sam-khim and the man in embroidered robe, he knew that the poison must be extremely vicious. He also knew that the whole building was already srurrounded by posoneous salt, and he didn't know how to escape.

Standing still, he thought deeply for a way to get out. Suddenly his eyes caught sight of two stools on each side of the main gate, and a good idea striked his mind. Hurriedly he took the two stools, stood them up vertically straight on one end, and then hooking both his feet to each of the stools, he walked using them as if someone playing pogo sticks. The 3 old men were still rolling on the ground screaming. DaiYan realized that he was in a highly dangerous place. He quickly tore up his sleeve and using it to protect his hand, he picked up the man with the Golden Sabre by his back, and ran off to the east as fast as he could.

His action was beyond the expectation of the Sea Sand Clan. Simultaneously they threw their darts at him, but Yu DaiYan was very fast, so he was soon beyond any throwing weapons' reach. The Sea Sand Clan's people wouldn't give up, so they quickly chased after him.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/kirara/images/006.gif

Suddenly Yu DaiYan jumped up high, while at the same time both his feet kicked the two stools backward and they hit several of his pursuers. They screamed in pain and their friends had to stop to take a look at them. Using this chance, Yu DaiYan gathered his energy and increased his speed, so within a short time, he had left his pursuers far behind.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 02:25 PM.

post #29
    After running for a while, he could only hear the sound of the waves and the sounds of his pursuers couldn't be heard anymore.
    "How are you?" he asked.
    The old man did not reply, he just moaned painfully.
    "I had better cleansed his body from the poisonous salt," thought DaiYan. He quickly carried him to a shallow part of the sea and lowered him into the water, while taking care so as not to make the water splashed on himself.

After some time, the old man came more to his consciousness, but still unable to get up. DaiYan was going to offer his hand to help him up, but coincidentally a big wave came and threw the old man onto the beach.
    "Now you are out of danger, and because I have an important business to tend, I can't accompany you anymore, so we will part here," said DaiYan.
    Pushing the his palms against the sands, the old man lifted his body. "You...you...why didn't you take this precious sabre?" he asked in puzzlement.
    DaiYan laughed. "Though it is precious, the sabre is not mine," he replied. "How can I take it?"

The old man became more puzzled. He couldn't believe that in the world there was such a noble man. "You...you....what stinking trick are you up to?" he asked. "Are you going to torture me?"
    "We are not enemies, why would I want to torture you?" DaiYan asked him back, smiling. "Tonight, we met accidentally, and because I felt pity seeing how badly injured you were, I decided to save you."
    The old man shook his head. "My life is in your hand, if you want to kill me, please kill me now!" he said in a loud voice. "But if you kill me slowly by poison, after I die I will be an evil ghost who will keep haunting you."
    DaiYan knew the old man's mind was still disoriented, so he just smiled and did not respond. As he was about to leave the place, suddenly a big wave came and his own robe became wet, and the old man became so terrified he curled up on the sand, trembling.

Looking at this, DaiYan changed his mind. "Once we help someone, we must help until the end," he thought. "If i leave him alone, maybe he will drown." Thinking this way, he grabbed the old man's back and carrying him, he walked towards a small hill. After arriving on top of the hill, he looked around and saw a small house which shape looked like a temple. He went there and yes it was a temple and in front of it there were the characters "Hay-sin-bio" (Sea-God Temple). He opened the door and saw that the small temple had only one room.
    After putting the old man on the praying table, he took out his lighter, but it couldn't be used because it was wet. In the darkness, he groped around the table and luckily there was a lighter on it. So he used it to lit the only candle on the praying table.

Under the candlelight, he saw that the old man's face had turned greenish purple, a sign that he was severely poisoned. Startled, he put his hand into his pocket and took out a Thian-sim Kay-to-tan (Heaven Heart Antidote), a medicine to counter poison. "Take this pill," he said.
    The old man opened his eyes. "No," he said angrily. "I would rather die than taking your poisoneous pill."
    Although he as a patient man, Yu DaiYan felt upset. Frowning, he said in a loud voice: "Who do you think I am? Although WuDang Cit-hiap (The Seven Heroes of WuDang Clan) are not noble men, they are not lowly persons who enjoy harming fellow humans either. This pill is to counter poison. Because you're already heavily poisoned, even if it cannot save your life, at least it can prolong your life for 3 days. You had better give that sabre to the Sea Sand Clan in return for the antidode."

Suddenly the old man jumped up and shouted: "No....! I won't!"
    "What's the use of that precious sabre, if you're dead?"
    "I don't mind dying, as long as this sabre is still mine," he replied with a strong determination, while hugging the sabre tightly and putting it to his cheek affectionately.
    Yu DaiYan became very puzzled. At first he wanted to ask what's so good about the sabre that he loved it so dearly. But seeing the old man's greedy and violent eyes, he felt disgusted and so after turning his body, he walked out.

"Stop! Where are you going?" yelled the old man.
    DaiYan laughed. "Where I am going, it is none of your business," he replied while keeping on walking. But just after a few steps, suddenly the old man wailed loudly, his cries sounded as if those of a fatally wounded animal, full of pain and dispair.
    His crying awakened Yu DaiYan's chivalrous spirit. He turned back and asked: "Why are you crying?"

http://members.lycos.co.uk/kirara/images/007.gif

"After so much sufferings, finally this sabre belongs to me," he replied. "But now I know that soon I will die. After I die, what use will this sabre have anymore?"
    "Hm...to save your life, there is no other way than giving this sabre up to the Sea Sand Clan in return for the antidote," said Yu DaiYan.
    The old man started to wail loudly again. "I can't bear to give it up....!" he shouted greedily.
    Seeing the old man's greed, Yu DaiYan felt so funny, but looking at his great sufferings, he couldn't laugh.
    Last edited by Kirara; 09-06-04 at 01:24 PM.