Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DAMO w/ English subtitles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    Lady Zhuge, does Damo has a sad ending - did she end up with the one she loves in the end? And anybody died?
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

To my disappointment....... Thanks for the straightforward answers.

I gather Damo is worthed the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    I gather Damo is worthed the watch.
    Yes, most definitely.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Default Damo

I love Damo. I like all three characters. I like Chae-Ok with both guys, however, I leaned more towards the guy she grew up more. I think that he loves her the most. He was willing to leave everything and die for her. I think she reciprocated his feelings from the beginning to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Faythe
    I love Damo. I like all three characters. I like Chae-Ok with both guys, however, I leaned more towards the guy she grew up more. I think that he loves her the most. He was willing to leave everything and die for her. I think she reciprocated his feelings from the beginning to the end.
    I preferred Chae-Ok with Yoon as well. Another crucial element going for them is that it wouldn't be a taboo relationship.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I preferred Chae-Ok with Yoon as well. Another crucial element going for them is that it wouldn't be a taboo relationship.
    well to be fair she didn't know that the rebel, kim min joon, was her brother. throughout the drama i constantly wish he wasn't since the chemistry between him and ha ji won is much stronger. and their scenes together extremely emotionally touching

I saw Damo dubbed, so I may have missed a lot of its original meaning. But I thought the chemistry between Yoon and Chae-ok were definitely deeper than with Yang. Chae-ok felt that she was unworthy of Yoon's love due to her inferior social class. She also felt that Yoon would be a better match with the general's daughter. Although Chae-ok kept her feelings for Yoon undisclosed, you could see her pain and agony as she kept her silence. Yang, on the other hand, was a person that she could be with- without any barriers. He also offered her freedom from a slave-like life. The scenes between Yoon and Chae-ok were really intense...they expressed their feelings for each other really well. Too bad they couldn't have ended up with each other in the end.
    I loved the music too. Does anyone know where I can download them?

What I didn't really get was how Chae-ok and Jang failed to realize that they were related during the cave scene when Jang told her that he lost touch with his sister when she was 7?
    Did Chae-ok really tried to kill Yoon when she was captured? I wasn't sure if the sword was pointing towards Chae-ok or Yoon...

Quote Originally Posted by septembermoon16
    well to be fair she didn't know that the rebel, kim min joon, was her brother.
    Well, yeah. That's what made their love so tragic, but it's still a taboo element.

The OST is available at D-Addicts.com.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

i liked the main girl with the rebel more, even though they were related as i thought she loved the rebel more becuase when the guy she grew up with asked her to go with him, she said no, her heart has gone to someone else.
    I loved the ending actually.. it was so sad.. but very very good, and the best ending i could think of.

does anybody have any wallpapers they could share? i really want one for my desktop.
    Watching: White Robe of Love - Ady and Dylan Forever
    Tokyo Juliet (currently addicted) Wu Zun is hot

I've never watched much ancient k dramas.. the only one I have watched was Dae Jang Guem, it was alright.. im not a big fan of the flying fighting scenes and stuff.. but according to all of the positive feedback, im guessing its a good drama.. so i'll take a shot at it who is the main male lead in this drama?
    Last edited by Simplicity; 12-28-05 at 02:38 AM.

I just finished watching Damo a week ago. I think it's a great show, with stirring acting, good characters, moving plot but a lame ending. I love the soundtrack as well, esp the flute tune which reminds me of bamboo a lot.

CONTAINS SPOILERS.......

I enjoy the storyline at the beginning because the show addresses issues of gender inequalities, freedom of people to rule themselves, values such as honour, self-belief and loyalty.

I like Yoon more because he has been CO's guardian all along and he gives her a freedom due to her self-worth, rather than what society deems for her lowly Damo status. I like the way Yoon goes against conventions, social status to see something beyond what others see, to stand up for one's goals and ambitions and the way he protects CO against her own impulsiveness.

ZB, on the other hand, I find admirable, noble and righteous, but he rebels in the wrong way, thus causing lots of innocent lives being lost. Near the ending, I don't find him and CO admirable as much, being blinded by their mutual love. They seemed to deviate from their original beliefs. Plus, there are many times where they could realise they're siblings.

I feel really sad when CO uses herself as hostage to save ZB. I feel at that stage ZB would surely die earlier or later, so even if he's caught by Yoon, he could die honourably being apprehended by a worthy opponent. CO choose to go against Yoon, using her life, valuing love over loyalty. Yoon must be so upset because CO wouldn't go to that extent for him and he was so in love with the girl though he hardly showed it.

Lastly, the ending was well-acted by the actors but lame because Yoon and CO doesn't have to die. It seemed they're forced to die to create a memorable, unrequited love series that viewers will not get over. ZB doesn't have to kill Yoon -Yoon's saving CO, even if Yoon couldn't save the 'hundred lives', what does it help to kill someone who's upright and honourable like yourself, someone who still have a long way to go and can take care of CO?

And lastly, ZB's already near-death, what does it do shoulder bullets for him?

It seemed more realistic for Yoon and CO to be together again, as brothers like before, or at least CO could have live on.

I still think it's a great show, despite the tragic and exaggerated ending.

To each his own opinion.

I think that the love between CO and ZB was due to the sibling ties that they feel for each other, deep down inside.?

Actually more like incest. Definitely not brother-sister kind of love.

On the whole an unnecessary sad ending trick just to get the series to stick on the viewer's mind.
    I hate watching shows where everyone die.

btw, shouldn't the English title of this series be Char Mu (Tea Mother) since that is the Chinese title of the show?
    Last edited by Surferket; 02-17-06 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Actually more like incest. Definitely not brother-sister kind of love.

On the whole an unnecessary sad ending trick just to get the series to stick on the viewer's mind.
    I hate watching shows where everyone die.

btw, shouldn't the English title of this series be Char Mu (Tea Mother) since that is the Chinese title of the show?
    I think Damo is a translation from Korean syllables. Tea Pourer isn't really accurate since Char Mu really means female police officer.

Default up to Episode 2

I am watching Damo despite my dislike for sad endings... I want to see why some people rave about ha ji won. In Love so Divine and the bali story, she seemed to have only two expressions on her face...teary and smiley.... and her characters were'nt endearing at all. And she's not really good looking ( sorry HJW fans).

In Damo, her character is strong, smart, capable loyal...evrything I like. I fast-forward the flying, blood and gore part or close my eyes though. The rebel is her brother??? oh so sad, he killed himself by her sword before all the flashbacks..

I believe Korean actors are so attractive in period clothes and hairy face ... the hero looked ordinary in Phoenix and the rebel looked even more ordinary in Lovers in Prague... of course Sir Min (DJG) looked funny in Spring days...

Thumbs up

I loved this drama! So beautiful yet so tragic. The ending really tore me up. I don't mind sad endings at all unlike people who only like happy disney endings.
    It's a must-see! My 2nd fav. K-drama for sure. 5 stars!

Default To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BoO's Hubby
    I loved this drama! So beautiful yet so tragic. The ending really tore me up. I don't mind sad endings at all unlike people who only like happy disney endings.
    It's a must-see! My 2nd fav. K-drama for sure. 5 stars!

That's why these forums are for, so we know there are people who are different from each other, sometimes for reasons I never thought of. Very interesting.

If you like sad endings, watch heaven's tree...it's as sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Very true! The series has a really good momentum in the beginning to quote from hamcycle, who wrote a review for this series that can be found here http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=726, "It used romance and tragedy to emotionally involve its audience, but in the bigger picture, it is just a tool to investigate the greater themes of egalitarianism, the non-pursuit of happiness, and the ambiguities of human emotion."

Look at that: a romance (between Yoon and CO) that shows about social inequality, crime solving, politic, and some amazing action sequences, the series has such a great premises that could have entertained and gotten people to learn/think at the same time. But then it loses steam and become like any other K-dramas: Lovers turn to siblings, everyone starts to cry like mad, and all the main characters die.

The romance between Yoon and CO is really touching and sweet, especially when the two of them share a glance or a smile showing what they feel for the other but can't act on it. And I'm not even touch the relationship between CO and ZB, it's too wiggy just to even think about it. When ZB appears, I've already know that he might be her brother, and they have so many chances to recognize each other as brother and sister, but NO! the producers/director keep yanking the viewers along with the "which one will she choose" love triangle theme. This makes the scenes where both of them are all goggled with each other and sprouting mushiness much harder too watch and stomach, since the viewers already known they're brother and sister. It would be better if CO were to find out that ZB is her brother earlier, and get stuck in the middle with divide loyalty to her blood or her love.

I am so glad that I can comment about this drama and hear other people's opinions.
    It has some Spoilers in case some people haven't seen the movie yet.

I think Damo is one of the best movies ever! The story, being so emotional and complex, leaves you with so many unanswered questions and with the desire to see it again and again to better understand it.

The heroine is truly exceptional. She is brave, loyal, pure and honest. It was very sad that she chose to throw away what little happiness she could get just because of this beautiful character of hers. Yoon, the police commander, knew her very well, that's why he didn't say sooner anything about any of his feelings. So, they just stayed like that all those years, so close and yet so far away. I think Yoon could have stayed like that forever as long as she was near him, to care for her and protect her. She was the same ....until she met the rebel.

I don't think that it was ever about love with the rebel. It was more of a stubborn infatuation, a "heavy dream" as she herself had said, a desire to escape loneliness and so much suffering.
    He kinda messed up with her mind with all his talk about just cause for the poor people like her and the freedom that she longed for. And we must not forget that strange attraction towards him (only we knew it was the "call of the blood") that made her so confused and react that way against Yoon.

Her strengh of character also made her keep her true feelings so hidden in her heart that only at the very end, faced with the final losing of her true love, did she showed them. We could only guess them in the first half of the movie.
    The scene on the beach when Yoon was dying, the way she rushed to him, crying histerically and telling him to live together and never come back into the world was so sad. And at his funeral when she "asked" him to come at night,in her dreams, to find her! Ohh, who wants to be haunted like that forever if it's not by the person you love the most??

Between the two main male characters I liked Yoon the most. Both of them were good, but Yoon was more noble because of his lack of selfishness and his capacity for sacrifice. On the beach, he came to give his life for her while the other was just to cruel and unforgiving, I would say even a little losing sanity.

The ending to me was perfect. None of them could have been happy considering the situation. The way she chose to shield her brother ,the rebel, from the bullets and arrows was an action true to her character. Life had no meaning for her any more so she decided to go away with her brother, protecting him.

The story would have probably been forgotten by the audience if it wasn't also coupled with beautiful cinematography, costumes, scenery, touching musical score, stylish fight scenes and, not last, actors sooo good to convey all that range of emotions.

The poem at the end was so beautiful and it fit the story so well! I wonder if it's and ancient Korean poem or it is something more modern.

I really want to comment more about this movie so if anyone is interested please keep in touch!
    This drama is my second favorite, after "Lovers" also with Lee Seo Jin
    I liked "Lovers" more because of the happier note to it.