Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DAMO w/ English subtitles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crisdrag
    I am so glad that I can comment about this drama and hear other people's opinions.
    It has some Spoilers in case some people haven't seen the movie yet.

I think Damo is one of the best movies ever! The story, being so emotional and complex, leaves you with so many unanswered questions and with the desire to see it again and again to better understand it.

The heroine is truly exceptional. She is brave, loyal, pure and honest. It was very sad that she chose to throw away what little happiness she could get just because of this beautiful character of hers. Yoon, the police commander, knew her very well, that's why he didn't say sooner anything about any of his feelings. So, they just stayed like that all those years, so close and yet so far away. I think Yoon could have stayed like that forever as long as she was near him, to care for her and protect her. She was the same ....until she met the rebel.

I don't think that it was ever about love with the rebel. It was more of a stubborn infatuation, a "heavy dream" as she herself had said, a desire to escape loneliness and so much suffering.
    He kinda messed up with her mind with all his talk about just cause for the poor people like her and the freedom that she longed for. And we must not forget that strange attraction towards him (only we knew it was the "call of the blood") that made her so confused and react that way against Yoon.

Her strengh of character also made her keep her true feelings so hidden in her heart that only at the very end, faced with the final losing of her true love, did she showed them. We could only guess them in the first half of the movie.
    The scene on the beach when Yoon was dying, the way she rushed to him, crying histerically and telling him to live together and never come back into the world was so sad. And at his funeral when she "asked" him to come at night,in her dreams, to find her! Ohh, who wants to be haunted like that forever if it's not by the person you love the most??

Between the two main male characters I liked Yoon the most. Both of them were good, but Yoon was more noble because of his lack of selfishness and his capacity for sacrifice. On the beach, he came to give his life for her while the other was just to cruel and unforgiving, I would say even a little losing sanity.

The ending to me was perfect. None of them could have been happy considering the situation. The way she chose to shield her brother ,the rebel, from the bullets and arrows was an action true to her character. Life had no meaning for her any more so she decided to go away with her brother, protecting him.

The story would have probably been forgotten by the audience if it wasn't also coupled with beautiful cinematography, costumes, scenery, touching musical score, stylish fight scenes and, not last, actors sooo good to convey all that range of emotions.

The poem at the end was so beautiful and it fit the story so well! I wonder if it's and ancient Korean poem or it is something more modern.

I really want to comment more about this movie so if anyone is interested please keep in touch!
    This drama is my second favorite, after "Lovers" also with Lee Seo Jin
    I liked "Lovers" more because of the happier note to it.

I truly agreed with your view...Every scenes with Yoon and Damo makes my heart melt. Very touching scenes. Yoon was my favorite character. True love. True to Damo.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Hello all. Im new. Thanks for having me. I didn't notice a "General" or "Introduction" Forum/Thread so just saying "Hi" first.

Just purchased and watched this series. Here is my review from yesasia:

Ok..first off Im a hard critic and have high expectations. After reading the reviews here and notice a high percentage of good reviews I decided to purchase this series. Well in short...it did not make my "Favorites List." For the most part the movie felt like it wasn't written very well. Only during the last couple of dvd's that it got complex and interesting. Like most series unfortunately. And I would have to agree that the falling in love with brother(they didn't know) did not help the story line. Why couldn't they have been childhood friends or cousins with different last names or something??? To put it bluntly the feeling was kind of "sick." *Spoiler*I also noticed some plot holes. When the Rebel leader was taking out her bullet and said "She will be ok." She was suposed to be a guy in disguise so they would have known their cover has been blown. Also he took off her shirt so obviously they would assume he knows that she is a girl. And latter when she found the little hair tie on him...i thot she would recognize it's her's? Tho the Damo was the heroine of the movie...it seemed to me she was the one causing all the trouble. I just rate this movie above average. I would not purchase the movie. Just rent it our borrow it.

To add to above. No the the fight scenes weren't that great. I rather they just used the original speed rather then speeding up the video during some of the fight and running scenes. Also like someone else reviewed...they gave that thief guy commoner status but why didn't they do it for Chae-Ok?

I rate it 6/10
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 08-08-07 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinePine View Post
    Personally I think Damo is one of the best Korean dramas I ever watched (and I watch A LOT of k-drams btw.. ). After watching I became a huge fan of Ha Ji-won, the lead actress in Damo.

I've been waiting quite some time for the English-subs DVD release of Damo.. going to go buy it later... All I have right now is the crappy Chinese dubbed VCD version..
    I also heard this drama is quite good, but I haven't yet see it. I'm also a big fan of Ha Ji Win, she's a wonderful actress. Hahha, I know exactly what you mean. I own a couple of Korean DVD sets with Eng subs and it sucks so bad that I wasn't able to understand, so I know not to buy it next time.

I'd rate it 3/10 because the girl is too obviously stupid and brain damaged in constantly lying to herself she can take on the guy when she had been losing every fight with him and is so obviously outclassed by him. It's obvious she just wants to see him and gave the excuse of going to apprehend him.
    I pity her master.

Eventually I'll come around to doing a review of this series on my blog but that's still the rating I'll stick to.
    As you said, the fight scenes are sub-par.

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Hello all. Im new. Thanks for having me. I didn't notice a "General" or "Introduction" Forum/Thread so just saying "Hi" first.

Just purchased and watched this series. Here is my review from yesasia:

Ok..first off Im a hard critic and have high expectations. After reading the reviews here and notice a high percentage of good reviews I decided to purchase this series. Well in short...it did not make my "Favorites List." For the most part the movie felt like it wasn't written very well. Only during the last couple of dvd's that it got complex and interesting. Like most series unfortunately. And I would have to agree that the falling in love with brother(they didn't know) did not help the story line. Why couldn't they have been childhood friends or cousins with different last names or something??? To put it bluntly the feeling was kind of "sick." *Spoiler*I also noticed some plot holes. When the Rebel leader was taking out her bullet and said "She will be ok." She was suposed to be a guy in disguise so they would have known their cover has been blown. Also he took off her shirt so obviously they would assume he knows that she is a girl. And latter when she found the little hair tie on him...i thot she would recognize it's her's? Tho the Damo was the heroine of the movie...it seemed to me she was the one causing all the trouble. I just rate this movie above average. I would not purchase the movie. Just rent it our borrow it.

To add to above. No the the fight scenes weren't that great. I rather they just used the original speed rather then speeding up the video during some of the fight and running scenes. Also like someone else reviewed...they gave that thief guy commoner status but why didn't they do it for Chae-Ok?

I rate it 6/10