Thread: Collateral

Default Collateral (Tom Cruise & Jamie Foxx)

Has the movie open anywhere yet?? How is it anyway? I am thinking of watching it. The last show that I watched with Cruise in it was Minority Report, which was absolutely fantastic.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about Cruise's movies, sometimes they tend to depend on star power rather than a good plot and great action to sell. Mission Impossible 2 was a disaster for me, I hated the show, while Minority Report was a great watch.

So any comments??

Well, the movie is getting mostly positive reviews. Many said that it's a breakthrough performance for Jamie Foxx. Joy!
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

yeah it IS a breakthrough performance for Jamie Foxx... & Tom Cruise as well!
    Tom was great as Vincent! i have never seen him plays a baddie/villain b4, so it was fun & refreshing watchin Tom plays a hitman/contract killer. 2 b frankly honest, i would much rather watch him as the baddie then the so-called hero, cuz it was much more fun watchin Tom killin ppl left & rite *sooo HOt* (though i'll admit, i loved him in The Last Samurai, which he does plays a hero). Oh again, Tom was HOT as the villain, even w/ the gray hair & matching beard! (though i must say, in this movie, Tom finally looks his age... after-all he IS 42)
    oh n btw, Jada Pinkett Smith looks absolutely beautiful as Annie... even though she has limited screen time (compared 2 Tom Cruise & Jamie Foxx)
    Last edited by iv0ry07; 08-09-04 at 10:01 PM.
    "I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm
    surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friendz.

I thought it was "pretty good." The rave reviews seem to me to be "summer" reviews, i.e. the reviewers are so hard up for good movies that they'll rave about anything that isn't genuinely awful.

IMO, there's not enough (read: any) tension. You know exactly what's going to happen at any given moment, you know exactly who's going to live and die, etc. Well acted, but a little dull.

Still it's pretty good. Just don't go expecting the next great thriller, and you'll enjoy yourself.
    Julien Chang

I thought there was adequate tension, I mean, how much surprise do you expect from a generic movie theme such as this.

But the ending sucked for me. If you followed the theme(what they're jabbing about in the cab between kills) of the movie, it doesn't suck as bad, but it still sucks.

Default Collateral

Anyone watched it?

Tom Cruise still can't act!
    玉木宏

blog

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

I liked the movie! Max...I mean, Jamie Foxx wasn't too bad either.
    Your panties are on too tight.

I think there's another Collateral thread down there...
    I saw it,and like it although the beginning are quite slow.

The story was good and I don't mind Tom and Jamie's acting.

It was a movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again.

P.S. Tom can act... I hope that is not his real life personality
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Originally posted by Demitre
    But the ending sucked for me. If you followed the theme(what they're jabbing about in the cab between kills) of the movie, it doesn't suck as bad, but it still sucks.
    yeah i didn't like the ending either... [*spoiler*] though i have a feeling Vincent (Tom) would get killed, which he did... but when it ended just like that, im like, "wat?! thatz it?!" ... i expected more 4 the ending...

just 4 checking, [*spoiler*] Max (Jamie Foxx) shot/killed Vincent (Tom) rite?
    Last edited by iv0ry07; 08-18-04 at 05:43 PM.
    "I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm
    surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friendz.

Originally posted by cheek
    I liked the movie! Max...I mean, Jamie Foxx wasn't too bad either.

The movie was quite good, bar Cruise. And I thought Jada Pinkett Smith put in a pretty good performance too.
    玉木宏

blog

I thought it was alright, but not something that I'd want to watch again. I was pretty impressed with Jamie Foxx.

The scene at the end in the office building was pretty suspenseful even with the leap in logic (let's waste time knocking out the power to kill a defenseless victim so help can run from the roof of the building across the street to where I am).

I somehow expected Vincent to kill that one undercover cop from the first time I saw him, but the way he was killed was so utterly and completely pointless that I don't see why they even bothered.

Watch it, check out the pretty overhead shots, ignore all the blatant Bacardi Silver ads and forget about it.
    This sig is only temporary.

I liked it until the end when it dissolved into a cliche brainless chase.

Maybe Vincent likes killing cabbies. He probably did the killings in OAK, which was mentioned in the movie. If I was Foxx, I would have called 911 first before calling Smith. The dead cell battery is so cliche too.

So, strong beginning, bad finish.