Thread: Liang Yu Sheng

Unhappy Liang Yu Sheng

Why Liang Yu Sheng is rarely mentioned in this forum ?
    I believe that he was acknowledged as the pioneer of modern wuxia novel. I know that Jin Yong is considered by many people as the best but I think that just a matter of taste. In my opinion these three (Liang Yu Sheng, Gu Long, Jin Yong) are equal, each with their own unique style (Gu Long is more about human psychology, Jin Yong is heroic and Liang Yu Sheng is patriotism)
    "Do anyone know how to correspondence with Liang Yu Sheng ? I'm his fans"

Default Re: Liang Yu Sheng

Originally posted by tjoek
    Why Liang Yu Sheng is rarely mentioned in this forum ?
    Probably because there is currently only one LYS's novel in translation in Wuxia Translations, which is the Legend of the White Haired Maiden. Some of the members in this forum, especially me, rely on translation. So with the lack of English translation around it might be a bit difficult to discuss the characters, unless we base the discussion on adaptations or movies, which are very often not accurate.

Also not a lot of his novels are adapted like Gu Long and Jin Yong. Some people found interest in the novels after watching it.

Is he the author of the adaption TVB did relatively recently called Loft Waters, Verdant Bow? The names of skills and ppl seemed to be a parody of some found in Jin Yong novels or plain copies like Bei Ming Chen Gong. Has there been some copying by either parties or is TVB to blame.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Default Has this been discussed?

"Seven Swords of Mount Tian

Production Budget: TV Series - 80 million yuan | Movie - US$12 million
    Principal Photography: August 2004 to April 2005
    Studios: Beijing Ciwen Digital Oriental Film & TV Production, Film Workshop
    No of Episodes : 74
    Based upon: Miracle Heroes beyond the Frontiers and Seven Swords Descend Mt Tian by Liang Yusheng
    Producers: Tsui Hark, Cheung Sing Yim
    Directors: Jacob Cheung Chi Leung, Clarence Fok Yiu Leung, Gary Sing, Lam Kin Loong | Tsui Hark, Marco Mak
    Screenplay: Wu Jiu Xi, Liu Yu Zhu, Li Chang Fu | Tsui Hark, Cheung Chi Sing, Chun Tin Nam
    Martial Arts Directors: Billy Chan Wui-Ngai, Guk Hin Chiu, Ling Chi Wah, Xu Xiang Dong, Sun Jian Kui, Yu Cheng Hui | Liu Chia Liang
    Composer: Jonathan Lee
    Release: 3rd Quarter 2005
    Cast: Yu Cheng-Hui, Ji Chun-Hua, Sang Wei-Lin, Zhao Wen Zhuo, Ada Choi, Gallen Lo, Li Xiao Ran, Chen Hao, Edell Ai Dai, Ray Lui, Wang Xue Bing, Liu Ye, Guo Jin An, Askar, Leung Kar Yan... | Charlie Yeung Choi Nei, Zhang Jing Chu, Kim So Yeon, Donnie Yen, Lu Yi, Sun Hong Lei, Leon Lai, Zhou Qun Da, Dai Li Ru, Huang Peng.

TV Series Roles:
    Chu Zhao Nan ... Zhao Wen Zhuo
    Yang Yun Cong ... Wang Xue Bing
    Mu Lang ... Qiao Zhen Yu
    Ling Mo Feng ... ???
    Wu Yuan Ying ... Sang Wei Lin
    Han Zhi Bang ... Zhang Fu Chu
    Ray Lui ... Duo Duo
    Xin Long Zi ... Ju Chun Hua
    Reverend Hui Ming ... Ma Jing Wu
    Ai Er Jiang ... Askar
    Emperor Shun Zhi ... Patrick Tam
    Flying Red Shawl ... Ada Choi
    Nalan Ming Hui ... Li Xiao Ran
    Liu You Fang ... Wang Li Kun
    Lu Zhu ... Edell Ai Dai
    Dong Xiao Wan ... Sun Fei Fei
    Man Lin Na ... Na Di La

----------------------------------
    Seven Swords of Mt Tian is a Liang Yusheng adaptation initially conceived by Cheung Sing Yim. When Tsui Hark formally joined the production on 29 November 2002, it turned into a heck of an ambitious project consisting of not only a TV series that is being expanded from 30 to 60 episodes, and now to 74, and a movie hexalogy known as The Seven Swords, but also a massively multiplayer online game (MMORPG) and a 40-volume comics to be jointly developed by Korea (Joyon Entertainment) and Japan. Total investments for the entire project are 1 billion yuan. Alongside the production is a documentary, Unprecedented, depicting the making of this visionary project. Tsui Hark, who works tirelessly and exigently oversees every aspect of the production from script-writing, costume design through casting to martial arts choreography, is poised to push the envelopes, redefine and bring back the wuxia genre, which is now at the end of its tether, with Seven Swords of Mt Tian by putting emphasis on story, character development, philosophies, values of life, humanity and realistic martial arts sequences with eloquently distinctive styles.

Seven Swords of Mt Tian traces the chivalrous tales of the two generations of Seven Swordmasters whose martial arts skills or apprenticeships are in one way or another connected to three retired martial arts doyens - Reverend Ming Hui, former Wudang Sect leader Zhuo Yi Rang, and Bride with White Hair - who now live in seclusion at the Heavenly Mountains.

Tsui Hark, based on his interpretation of wuxia, designed seven swords for the series: Gallivanting Dragon, Green Dehydration, Never Enquiring, Sun and Moon, Nemesis, Heavenly Cascade, God Relinquishing, which will be assigned to Chu Zhao Nan, Yang Yun Cong, Fu Qing Zhu, Xin Long Zi etc. The seven priceless swords were forged by Dhyana Master Hui Ming at Mt Tian, based upon seven different realms. The Seven Swordmasters, each with their own personalities, roam the pugilistic world carrying these seven swords, doing a series of earthshaking deeds. Mao Wan Lian, Yi Lan Zhu, Gui Zhong Ming etc would appear in the second segment of TV series while their first generation become the key characters in the first part.

"The most intriguing weapon in Chinese wuxia culture is the sword. How a sword is wielded is the union of the cultivation of (wo)man and sword, it's a kind of discipline, and swordplay is also a personification of a person's personality," says Tsui Hark.

May the wuxia revolution begin."

There's a link on this page to a translated excerpt from the novel;

http://www.wu-jing.org/dramas/Seven-...-Tian-Shan.php
    Last edited by dchute; 09-15-04 at 04:54 PM.

Talking

Still think Jin Yong is the best... cos maybe I have only read his novels

dchute,

FaQ talked about it a few months back. Seems stupid that they are speding so much money on a less popular novel adaptation, to me anyway.

Default Yes, but...

...it was suggested that there is little interest here in the works of LY-S because so few of his novels had been adapted---for TV, anyway, since there were quite a few old school movies. But here's a 72 chapter TV series and several feature films, from a top producer/director and with a good cast. So perhaps there is some other reason for the lack of interest after all?

I actually would love to have more adaptations on LYS' novels. It would be quite nice for a change.

Default White-Haired Demoness...

...may be my favorite translation among all those I've read here.

There's another LY-S that might be intersting to look at. I don't know the name of the novel, but the film version (one of the first "new style" wuxia films of the 1960s) was The Jade Bow, with Fu Cha and Chang Sze-sze; there's a decent Mei Ah DVD.

I would like to read comments on Liang Yu Sheng's works. I would like to talk about it too but I don't know a lot about his works. The only one that I know enough to talk a bit about is Jade Bow. It's my favourite ever since from watching the TVB version and then went on to read the novel. I haven't really been attracted to his other works. Stuff like White Hair Maiden and Tian Shan didn't really interest me. White Hair Maiden kinda annoys me with the ZYH character and Tian Shan...I don't know, I just find it a bit boring. Only Jade Bow really captures my attention because of LSN and then later in the novel I also liked JSY more.

It is a shame that is forum is heavily concentrated on JY. Coz I would also like to talk about GL's works a bit more too.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoYe View Post
    It is a shame that is forum is heavily concentrated on JY. Coz I would also like to talk about GL's works a bit more too.
    Can you point me to the adaptations of some of GL's best work? I would love to see the series on some of his best work.

To be honest, most times this forum is dead. Occasionally when it does show signs of life with some activity, it seems to focus a lot on Jin Yong's works. I guess he is the most famous and popular of them all. Gu Long, et.al. come a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    Can you point me to the adaptations of some of GL's best work? I would love to see the series on some of his best work.

To be honest, most times this forum is dead. Occasionally when it does show signs of life with some activity, it seems to focus a lot on Jin Yong's works. I guess he is the most famous and popular of them all. Gu Long, et.al. come a distant second.
    Even with adaptations there aren't as many as JY (sad), but here are some good ones I would recommend.

流星蝴蝶剑 Meteor, Butterfly, Sword 2010
    楚留香 1980-1983 TVB made a separate series for each book in the novel. All by Adam Cheng
    香帥傳奇 1995 My personal favourite, again with Adam Cheng
    陆小凤传奇 2006 This one is a mini movie of each book in the novel
    绝代双骄 1999
    大旗英雄传 2006

There are more that I haven't watched or that I felt didn't portray Gu Long's works very well. Most of Gu Long's adaptations are way off, but as long as they capture the essence of the character, I'm cool with it. Especially with the detective like characters like CLX or LXF. They often just borrow the name and make up their own mystery. I'm fine with that as long as the main characters keep their personality.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoYe View Post
    Even with adaptations there aren't as many as JY (sad), but here are some good ones I would recommend.

楚留香 1980-1983 TVB made a separate series for each book in the novel. All by Adam Cheng
    香帥傳奇 1995 My personal favourite, again with Adam Cheng
    陆小凤传奇 2006 This one is a mini movie of each book in the novel
    绝代双骄 1999
    大旗英雄传 2006

There are more that I haven't watched or that I felt didn't portray Gu Long's works very well. Most of Gu Long's adaptations are way off, but as long as they capture the essence of the character, I'm cool with it. Especially with the detective like characters like CLX or LXF. They often just borrow the name and make up their own mystery. I'm fine with that as long as the main characters keep their personality.
    Sorry, but I cannot read Mandarin/Cantonese. Can you translate those names in English and repost. Thank you :-)

I do remember watching the movie "Butterfly and Sword" starring Michelle Yeoh, Jimmy Lin, Donny Yen and Tony Leung which is loosely based on Gu Long's novel Meteor Butterfly Sword

楚留香 Chor Lau-heung 1979 -1983 TVB made a separate series for each book in the novel. All by Adam Cheng
    香帥傳奇 The Legend of Xiangshuai 1995 My personal favourite, again with Adam Cheng
    陆小凤传奇 The Legend of Lu Xiaofeng 2006 This one is a mini movie of each book in the novel
    绝代双骄 The Legendary Siblings 1999
    大旗英雄传 Daqi Yingxiong Zhuan 2006

I have added links to wiki, that will give you a better idea of which one I'm referring to. Wiki also has some more Gu Long adaptations, but I haven't watched all of them and many of them are hard to find. Gulong Television.

Have fun watching!

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I do remember watching the movie "Butterfly and Sword" starring Michelle Yeoh, Jimmy Lin, Donny Yen and Tony Leung which is loosely based on Gu Long's novel Meteor Butterfly Sword
    I have watched the movie versions as well and two TV versions. My favourite is the 2010 version. I thought that captured the Gu Long feel very well (even though some parts have been modified). Overall I can feel that the producer had put in effort to make a Gu Long show (and I know it's not easy).