Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

Question Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

I just read the Vietnamese translation of the 2nd ed of Book & Sword. I have only read the English translation by Graham Earnshaw previously. This new one quite impresses me (maybe it's because I read 2 shithouse Gu Long novels prior to that). To me, Princess Xiang Xiang is more than a likeable character, she's an angel ! She's so loveable that I'd rank her among my most favourite female characters. However, it also could be because I had to endure a load of terrible Gu Long's female characters in Da Qi Ying Xiong and Jue Dai Song Jiao...

Anyway, I wonder why so many people dislike this character, Princess Xiang Xiang ? Please tell me it's not because of her beauty and it hasn't got anything to do with Chen Jia Luo. Oh and also, please state whether you're a male, or female, or something else, as I don't believe any male can dislike her (unless you're batting for the other team).

/back to the bloody website project
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Well, it's fun making fun of her, and being too adorable at times is just... well... I usually love to see such people suffering. ^^;;;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Default Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

Originally posted by Candide
    I just read the Vietnamese translation of the 2nd ed of Book & Sword. I have only read the English translation by Graham Earnshaw previously. This new one quite impresses me (maybe it's because I read 2 shithouse Gu Long novels prior to that). To me, Princess Xiang Xiang is more than a likeable character, she's an angel ! She's so loveable that I'd rank her among my most favourite female characters. However, it also could be because I had to endure a load of terrible Gu Long's female characters in Da Qi Ying Xiong and Jue Dai Song Jiao...

Anyway, I wonder why so many people dislike this character, Princess Xiang Xiang ? Please tell me it's not because of her beauty and it hasn't got anything to do with Chen Jia Luo. Oh and also, please state whether you're a male, or female, or something else, as I don't believe any male can dislike her (unless you're batting for the other team).

/back to the bloody website project
    There's nothing seriously wrong with her but she is just too naive, that she can't detect her sister's feelings.

She is too naive and has no brain of her own. Why did she listen to Chen Jia Luo and go back into the palace? The war is not between her people and the Manchus? It is between the Manchus and the Hans. Who is CJL to decide her fate? He is not her husband or father. Just because CJL prefers to choose his country over her, doesn't mean that she has to do what he says.

Your father is dead, your brothers are dead, and most of your countrymen are dead, injured or missing. Marrying Qian Long at that time woudl prove no benefit to her family or people. Why not go back to your sister who is going nuts trying to save you and leave that piece of crap CJL, and try to save any family that you still have left?

She was very honourable by dying to warn CJL of QL's intention, but if it was not her blind obedience to stupid brainless CJL (who was to send her off to some unreliable pervert), she wouldn't have to have died.

I don't hate her, but I don't like her either. Most of my hatred for the story is directed at CJL so she is very safe from me hating her. Anyway, I am a female and I go for Huo Qing Tong's happiness (which is not with CJL, but with her family and sister).
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    Well, it's fun making fun of her, and being too adorable at times is just... well... I usually love to see such people suffering. ^^;;;
    Is that your dark side talking again, Xiang Er ? No wonder Mie Jue inherited that...

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Default Re: Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

Originally posted by charbydis
    There's nothing seriously wrong with her but she is just too naive, that she can't detect her sister's feelings.
    Err... she did. And she wanted the 3 of them to live "happily ever after". It's acceptable for Islamic followers, you know.

She is too naive and has no brain of her own. Why did she listen to Chen Jia Luo and go back into the palace? The war is not between her people and the Manchus? It is between the Manchus and the Hans. Who is CJL to decide her fate? He is not her husband or father. Just because CJL prefers to choose his country over her, doesn't mean that she has to do what he says.
    Well she loved and trusted him. She was convinced that by doing so, she could save millions of suffering Hans. At that point, she believed that Hans, Muslims or whoever were family. A bit of Xiao Feng's idea there, don't you think ?

About saving her sister... by then nobody knew where Huo Qing Tong was, and there's a high possibility that she was dead, since a seriously ill girl could hardly escape from that situation.

Princess Xiang Xiang was just unlucky that fate did not favour her.

By the way, I don't hate Chen Jia Luo either. He never wanted to be the leader of the Red Flower Society. Others forced him to. He tried his best but he was unlucky. He failed miserably but the important point is that he tried . Better than some other bastard who had all the intelligence and martial arts in the world, but pissed off to some cave with his chick while his people suffered and his friends died to protect the country.

Default Re: Re: Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

By the way, I don't hate Chen Jia Luo either. He never wanted to be the leader of the Red Flower Society. Others forced him to. He tried his best but he was unlucky. He failed miserably but the important point is that he tried . Better than some other bastard who had all the intelligence and martial arts in the world, but pissed off to some cave with his chick while his people suffered and his friends died to protect the country.
    Chen Jialuo tried to do what seemed right to him. He was wrong. He tried his best, but failed as a fool. He than fled with the Red Flower Society to the Moslems Region and almost commited suicide out of guilt. In the end, he accomplished nothing.

The "other bastard" happened to kill the Khan and save the entire country, you know? He suffered a lot, and unlike Chen Jialuo, his suffering was not his own doing. I have much more sympathy for this other guy than for Chen.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

Originally posted by Laviathan
    Chen Jialuo tried to do what seemed right to him. He was wrong. He tried his best, but failed as a fool. He than fled with the Red Flower Society to the Moslems Region and almost commited suicide out of guilt. In the end, he accomplished nothing.
    He didn't have the chance and the luck. You can't blame him for that suicide attempt. Most responsible people would consider that. As for accomplising nothing, I know quite a few characters that many other people like that accomplised nothing and failed terribly. One of them is Ling Hu Chung.

Edit: I'm not arguing that Chen Jia Luo wasn't stupid. He was an idiot for believing in that crap from Qian Long. I just think that he didn't deserve that much flaming.

The "other bastard" happened to kill the Khan and save the entire country, you know? He suffered a lot, and unlike Chen Jialuo, his suffering was not his own doing. I have much more sympathy for this other guy than for Chen.
    His suffering WAS his own doing. If he could keep his hole shut, and knew how to treat people better, he wouldn't have all of that coming to him.

Yes he managed that incredible feat, which was to kill the Khan, but anyone with his ability in that situation would be able to do so. That should have been credited to Huang Yao Shi. If it weren't for his 28 stars formation, 100 Yang Guos wouldn't have been able to get that close to the Khan. Anyway after that he was given the chance, the oppoturnity to be a true hero, to do a lot more for his country. But no, he found his lover and pissed off. I wish Hong Qi Gong, Ou Yang Feng, Wang Chong Yang etc. these patriots hadn't taught him anything.

Edit2: Let's get back to Princess Xiang Xiang and leave the Yang Guo thing for the other thread

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

He didn't have the chance and the luck. You can't blame him for that suicide attempt. Most responsible people would consider that. As for accomplising nothing, I know quite a few characters that many other people like that accomplised nothing and failed terribly. One of them is Ling Hu Chung.

Edit: I'm not arguing that Chen Jia Luo wasn't stupid. He was an idiot for believing in that crap from Qian Long. I just think that he didn't deserve that much flaming.
    Yes, I know Chen Jialuo is a good person. I personally don't like him, that's all.

His suffering WAS his own doing. If he could keep his hole shut, and knew how to treat people better, he wouldn't have all of that coming to him.
    Now you sound like Guo Fu, you know that?
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Default Re: Re: Re: Why do people dislike Princess Xiang Xiang ?

Err... she did. And she wanted the 3 of them to live "happily ever after". It's acceptable for Islamic followers, you know.

Well she loved and trusted him. She was convinced that by doing so, she could save millions of suffering Hans. At that point, she believed that Hans, Muslims or whoever were family. A bit of Xiao Feng's idea there, don't you think ?
    I was referring to HQT's feelings when she went back into the palace.

Tell GJ that he would be able to save millions of Hans suffering by marrying Hua Zheng after Genghis Khan indirectly caused the death of his mother, never to see HR again. Would he do it?

About saving her sister... by then nobody knew where Huo Qing Tong was, and there's a high possibility that she was dead, since a seriously ill girl could hardly escape from that situation.

Princess Xiang Xiang was just unlucky that fate did not favour her.

We are talking about a sick Huo Qing Tong, brilliant military strategist and very bright girl, with abilities to defend herself, not a sick WYY! I don't even think that Xiang Xiang thought her sister had died since she was so naive.

And even if HQT was dead, how about her people? She would be the only surviving member fo the chief's family and the only one who could reoder and regroup the hiding and missing clansmen!

CJL failed not because he was unlucky, but because he was too trusting of the wrong people. QL is a man brought up by Manchu values and Manchu ways. He is extremely filial to his adopted mother and he has all the power in the world. He can get most of the women he wants and he enjoys his position.

Just because you share the same blood as a person you haven't seen before, doesn't mean that you can rely 100% on him. Why would he risk change to his current position? Yes, he would still be the Emperor but the change of the ruling ethnicity would truly have an effect on his rule? What if the people didn't believe that he was a Han and overthrew him?

CJL never considered the POV of his brother and, and just saw the plan the way he wanted it to be. As a leader with the lives of so many people in his hands, CJL should have been more cautious. And thus he failed miserably.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

To Lav: I don't really like Chen either, but I don't hate him.

Now you sound like Guo Fu, you know that?
    Really ? I was just repeating what Jin Yong wrong in ROCH. He said that it's the way Yang Guo treated people that caused him most of his misfortunes.

Tell GJ that he would be able to save millions of Hans suffering by marrying Hua Zheng after Genghis Khan indirectly caused the death of his mother, never to see HR again. Would he do it?
    He did sacrifice his marriage with HR to save thousands of suffering people inside that fortress. I believe he would do it. However, that's a bad example, since once Genghis killed his mother, he would never let his daughter marry Guo Jing anyway.

We are talking about a sick Huo Qing Tong, brilliant military strategist and very bright girl, with abilities to defend herself, not a sick WYY! I don't even think that Xiang Xiang thought her sister had died since she was so naive.
    Err Huo Qing Tong was so sick that she couldn't move, and couldn't even command the army, let alone fight against tens of thousands of Manchu soldiers. She was lucky that her loyal soldiers managed to hide her in some secret place then brought her out of the region.

And even if HQT was dead, how about her people? She would be the only surviving member fo the chief's family and the only one who could reoder and regroup the hiding and missing clansmen!
    Oh come on... as if she had that ability. You're assuming that she's a natural born leader or something. I think it's unfair to hold her to such high standards.

CJL failed not because he was unlucky, but because he was too trusting of the wrong people. QL is a man brought up by Manchu values and Manchu ways. He is extremely filial to his adopted mother and he has all the power in the world. He can get most of the women he wants and he enjoys his position.
    Of course Chen was stupid there. However Qian Long was actually convinced at first. He wanted to be among the great dynasty-founding emperors of China. He only dropped the idea because the empress dowager found out about that plan and wanted to kill him. By the way he wasn't filial to her (his adopted mother) at all. If he could kill her, he would do it right away. Qian Long changed his mind right at the end. I know that he wouldn't treat everyone nicely even if he did commit to Chen's plan, but that plan almost worked. If the empress dowager did not find out about it, who knows what would happen...

I was referring to HQT's feelings when she went back into the palace.
    Which palace ? The deserted one ? I can't remember every detail, but it did take a little while for Princess Xiang Xiang to realise the love her sister has for Chen. Hey how would she know ? Huo Qing Tong and Chen had only met briefly before, and she didn't even know about it. Besides, Chen always thought that Huo Qing Tong already had a boyfriend anyway.

I disliked Princess Xiang Xiang because she is too naive and unrealistic with her wishes.

At first I regret CJL didn't end up with HQT, but in the end I'm glad that she didn't. He doesn't deserve her!

And I'm a female

who is this?
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Originally posted by eeyore
    who is this?
    You don't want to know. You really don't want to know

Back to Princess Xiang-Xiang, first of all I am male, and I am neutral towards Princess Xiang-Xiang. I don't like her, nor do I dislike her, but I still think she was the most beautiful female character in all Jin Yong's novels, by description in the novel that is.

Originally posted by rabadi
    You don't want to know. You really don't want to know .
    I think i know now... .. my fave male character ....
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Is that your dark side talking again, Xiang Er ? No wonder Mie Jue inherited that...
    Over-naivity could be annoying at times. Being too naive makes me reel because usually such people don't understand many things and tends to 'act stupid'.

And what has it got to do with Miejue anyway? She's not related to me by blood.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I don't like Princess Xiang Xiang. She is so naive. Furthermore, she is also "stupid" enough not being able to detect her sister's feelings who should be someone she is very close too. I also don't understand why is she always given the best things in the world. First of all, she is give nice looks. Secondly, she don't have to fight in wars or think of strategies to protect the people.. all she does to is dance and sing in the desert. Why does Huo Qing Tong has to bear all the responsibilities while Princess Xiang Xiang can enjoy her life, living in a world of her own? Thirdly, I really feel injustice for Huo Qing Tong. After she has contributed so much, what does she get in return? She lost the man she love to he beloved sister

But I have to admit she is quite noble by dying to warn CJL of QL's intention. That's the only positive point i see in her.

Btw, I am a female. I go for Huo Qing Tong's happiness

i like princess smelly because she is beautiful and smelly.
    what i can't stand is that she knows nuts about kung fu when her sis is one of the top pugilists.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    i like princess smelly because she is beautiful and smelly.
    what i can't stand is that she knows nuts about kung fu when her sis is one of the top pugilists.
    Do u realise that the word 'smelly' is only used to describe something that smells bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    well ur a sadist. period.

actually i like innocent people. im sorry that they are too naive to know anything, and sometimes are just not aware. im sure she didnt mean to, but she isnt aware she is so "ignorant". its like, can you blame a person just because he/she is not very bright and sharp? they arent neccessarily bad. and a pretty face is always a bonus.

some people are too harsh on them...geez....i bet everyone of you imagines yourself not as dense and naive as her, hence dissing her so horribly.

i dun dislike her nor adore her....she's supposed to b very beautiful, gentle, kind-hearted and stuff...and i admire her for sacrificing herself to warn cjl n e rest...no doubt she loves her sis but she's painted as a kter that isnt v sensitive or knowing of other ppl's feelings...to put it bluntly, she's not smart...besides shes always put together n compared to her sis who may nt b as attractive in looks as her bt is a smart heroine who sacrifices her happiness for her sis n that definitely appeals to the audience more...the fact that cjl choose xx in e end may also make ppl dislike her n feel that she snatched him away frm her sis which of course she did so unintentionally...actually e person to b blamed is cjl...its nt really e princess's fault cause 1st, she didnt know that her sis likes him n 2nd she did nt seduce him or force him to like her...its juz that cjl prefers her more n maybe his feelings for hjt already faded somehow...even if xx didnt appear, cjl may nt have ended up w hjt...he's heroic n all that stuff bt a jerk in love..breaks another ger's heart...juz like zwj...bt zwj's worse as he broke 3 gers hearts
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 10-24-04 at 02:32 AM.