Katie (Dao Lac Lac) – Portrayed by Amy Chan Sau Man
Honestly I pity this character the most. I feel that Katie is a very confused and lonely woman. She tries and tries and tries, but everything seems to be going against her. Even during the last second of the series, I can’t help but feel sorry for everything that she had to go through, people keeps lying and hurting her. If I was her, I would’ve problem jumped off a bridge, HONESTLY!
At first I didn’t really like her character, though I pitied her, I couldn’t find myself to like her the way I did with Maggie. I guess on a level, that’s just right because it’s hard to compare; I mean, Maggie is a cheerful character (therefore, easy to love), whereas Katie is a character filled with questions and confusions, her character is so in-depth it takes time to understand her, therefore it’s hard to love her.
Before watching the series I was looking forward to watching Amy portray another fantastic and wonderful character, like in most of her series, but what I saw was the complete opposite. In the first episode of the series I’ve realize that “GOODNESS, Amy is portraying a total wacko!” I didn’t really like Katie’s character at first (trust me it changed), I kind of felt bad for her husband in the beginning (therefore I didn’t question why he would leave her, I agree, its wrong that he chose to cheat on her, but she is at fault too). I mean, goodness, I know she loves her husband and her job, but she’s just incurable! OK let me explain why I didn’t like her character at first, before you freak out.
#1 Flaw Katie Has; OCD
At the first scene of the series (Katie packing up for Tse) the first thing that came to my mind is… “Oh God, not another crazy wife who seeks for perfection” and thus I guess correctly, she seeks for perfection through a careful step-by-step plan (IN EVERYTHING SHE DOES, isn’t that a bit OCDed?). I mean I swear she has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; she’s obsessed with being organized and well planned out. What made me believe she’s crazy was that she even planned on having babies exactly 7 years after marriage (I bit weird, don’t you think?). I kind of felt bad for the poor man, but again he agreed with that when they got married so he shouldn’t have done what he did.
Its really sad that she cannot retain what she learns in her head and use her past experiences (mentally) to resolve her problems, but she has to go back into her planner and find the perfect thing to say. Even though she’s right all the time, I think it’s really pitiful how she must rely on the dead object to unleash her brilliance. She can do better!
#2 Flaw Katie Has; Feeling of Superiority
Well, it was obvious that Katie is very unconfident with her being on her own without her PLANNER, which she housed all the quotes and important things she’s heard, seen, and done. Aside from her obsession with being all prepped and well-planned out, she also has this one major problem; Feeling superior to everyone in her office. I understand that she holds a high position and has a lot of stress from those 3 lazy men and other higher officers and she does really want to be friends with her co-workers, but she neglects to acknowledge that her actions towards them makes them feel completely inferior and that they have no room to be themselves around her. She can be a really lousy boss. I know that deep down she really cherishes her workers and she’ll always be there to back them up, but the fact that she thinks she knows them more than they do themselves makes her look bossy and overly conceded.
These 2 above listed flaws are the flaws I found as I started to watch the series. But it’s wonderful that she began to change herself; she quickly became easier to hang with and less OCD (regarding her planner).
There is only one flaw that Katie has at the end of the series… You might think I am heartless but I think she is WAY TOO LENIENT AND NICE TO ANNIE! She is too forgiving, I don’t think I can accept Annie after all the pain she caused Katie.
I mean, I know being nice isn’t bad, but as they say “If you become too nice to others, you’re only being mean and torturous towards yourself!” THIS I AGREE!
I find it to be ironic, but her only flaw became one of the points I like most about her. She really proves that friendship is stronger than gold.
At the start of the series, I was hoping that Katie was not a total wacko, and thanks God she isn’t because that would destroy the series for me. I really enjoyed her scenes with Tse, I thought she was hilarious! Its ironic how at the beginning when Katie was going through the divorce, we were supposed to feel sorry for her (which I did), but her actions in carrying out many of the things she did became comical. Here are some of the episodes I am talking about:
1) When she found out Tse was cheating on her she became absolutely crazy, she starts to become really mean to her workers. But every time she becomes crazy in her office, there’s always something that someone does or say that makes you crack up.
- Looking back at the time were she interviewed people for the co-manager position… She was really nasty to everyone on the first interview b/c she was feeling bad and upset about her separation with her hubby. On the second interview (when she thought Tse came back to her and dumped Annie) she became very happy and lenient to everyone who came in, etc. It is pure enjoyment watching her rapid change of emotions (very brilliant!).
- After deciding to divorce with her hubby Katie became completely drenched and un-understandable, but this is where it gets real fun. After talking to Annie, Katie hires Annie, hoping to destroy her (on a business level, to earn some dignity and respect back after Annie’s actions towards her being the third party). It is not a doubt that the entire episodes where Annie and Katie bickered back and forth for the rights to work on the project were truly hilarious and cute. I loved how scheming the two ladies were and how “mischievous” and “revengeful” their actions were, it was a thrill to see.
- One thing I must mention is that towards the beginning (divorce episodes) Katie really scared me, she was like a ghost. Especially on the day were she was to go to sign the divorce paper. The entire storm and blackout was funny, I mean when she was at the paper shredder, shredding her planner, she looked like she was ready to kill someone. What made it even funnier to see was when the lights all went out and she gave this very “EVIL” look. LOLZ! So cute! Then when she went into the lawyers office and gave the 2 men “THE LOOK” hahahahaha I was about to drop dead. Her weird actions were so funny and cute.
Overall you get the point; there are way too many scenes in the series that became comical even though it started out serious. I like the twists; it makes the series less dramatic and more light-hearted. Those comical scenes began to lessen after the intense battle between Katie and Annie, regarding Alex. But it was wonderful as it lasted and whenever it happened.
Even after watching her go through her divorce with Tse, I still haven’t really fallen for Katie’s character yet, I still found that her 2 flaws had hampered her in having a healthy lifestyle. I thought she was very stubborn and “slow” in regards to her life plan. I don’t think life is all about planning, there are times where you must take chances. The one thing Katie refuses to do is act before thinking (hey, it’s not always effective, but it can work). But hey, as I’ve said, she does get better.
Here are the episodes I began to love Katie:
1) I started feeling that Katie was not as weird as I’ve thought when she reunited with Maggie. LOLZ! Maggie is insane; I had thought “Katie must have a lot of patient to be able to remain friends with the always questioning Maggie… I started to become curious with Katie’s attitudes.
2) The episodes where Annie came to live with Maggie and Katie. Even though she still has a flame in her heart due to Annie and Tse’s action, she still respected Maggie by agreeing to let Maggie let Annie stay at her house. I thought she was scheming to revenge Annie, but no, she just made very stupid rules. HAHA, so cute! But her being able to let go of the urge and let the poor homeless girl live with her was admirable.
3) The episodes where Katie yelled at Annie’s father by trying to threaten to burn down her house. What Katie told Annie’s father was really sweet and thoughtful, in a very mean way. I can tell that Katie really does care for Annie’s well-beings.
4) The valentine episode, I’ve mentioned. Katie and Annie were so cute then. They really cared for each other. But the misunderstanding when Annie’s father sent flowers to both Annie and Katie (which Katie thought Tse sent) kind of ruined the sweet sweet scenes, but when all was resolved, their actions spoke more than words.
5) The episode where they though Annie was pregnant. I thought those episodes were really sweet. I mean, Annie wanted to have an abortion, thinking that it would help save their friendship, but Katie told her to keep the baby, even though she’ll be hurt. I thought their baby conversation was really cute. Katie really revealed her caring side, A LOT! But all ended well when they realized Annie wasn’t pregnant. That entire false alarm thing made the trio’s friendship even tighter.
6) Basically from then on every actions of Katie were clearly visible. Her actions are based on keeping her friends and herself save and happy.
-The entire drama with Alex. When she realized that she had fallen for Alex, but sadly Annie was with him, she didn’t become made with Annie, but she just became disappointed that she let go of her chance. Then she hid away her emotions and let Annie leave with Alex. I thought her actions were very mature and well thought out. This is also when she began to change her 2 listed flaws. GREAT JOB!
-Another one that I’ve already mentioned is when Amy tried to protect Annie from being fired by Trinh Han. I felt so sorry for her; she tried so hard to help her friend. Knowing that Annie is a person who doesn’t save up, Katie knew she had to have the job. So she tried really hard to convince Trinh Han that Annie was really talented and perfect for the job, so she lowers herself and gave her credits to Annie. I thought her actions were so loyal. But sadly Annie misunderstood her and framed her for ruining everything she had because Katie was jealous that Alex chose her (when realistically he dumped Annie because he loved Katie). I felt heartbroken for Katie when Annie scolded her, Annie was lucky because she redeemed herself by saying sorry publicly.
-Another already mentioned episode was when Alex had his family problem, Katie dive in to help him in everything he needed help with, only thinking that she’s helping him because they were friends, but Annie backstabs and got a detective spying on Katie. Even after that, Katie forgave Annie. She started to annoy me with her leniency.
I am still confused with my feelings when Alex and Katie started going out. I don’t know if I respect Katie for her forgiving attitude or do I think she’s crazy and stupid for forgiving Annie continuously even after countless attempts where Annie had hurt her.
The ending episodes were very good, except the last 20-30 minutes. I thought the entire drama with Annie becoming an even bigger backstabber was really nicely done. It was actually kind of funny too. But the story is too long and I don’t want to recite every detail. But Annie had lost all my respect for her when she lied to everyone about her having cancer.
My favorite scene during the entire fake cancer drama was when Katie was told that Annie has terminal cancer and only has 6 months to live. Her weariness was so well done, I started to pity Katie so much, and therefore the flame in my heart against Annie grew as if fuel was being added. I didn’t blame Katie for being suspicious with the cancer story; I mean Annie does have a history of lies, lies, lies and more lies. I did not blame Katie for hiring a spy to spy on Annie and retrieve a record to prove Annie’s cancer state. But when she was faxed the fake record saying that Annie has cancer, her face and mood became so dark, you had no choice but to become upset with Annie and wants to jump her.
The most touching scene then was when Katie sent Annie the tape. I mentioned that above. I thought what Katie had said in the tape was so well said, honestly, I don’t think Annie would every do anything close to that. If Annie was in Katie’s position and Katie was in Annie’s I think Annie would celebrate. BUT GOD, Annie was so heartless I swore she had a black hole where her heart is supposed to be. And she had the guts to say “I am sorry Katie, but I love him too much!” ---- That really drew the line, I HATED ANNIE’S GUTS! Katie has never been anything but understanding towards her, Katie almost didn’t start with Alex, because she was afraid their start would hurt Annie. MAYBE KATIE WAS JUST TOO THOUGHTFUL.
Well, what made me real please was when Katie realized that Annie was a lying, backstabbing, b***h, and completely disloyal and unworthy friend. HAHAHA, when Katie came into Annie’s place I was so pleased, finally Katie confronted Annie and fought against her disloyalty. Her conversation was greatly done, but Annie was being a really b***h when she said that Alex was hers and he loved her that was why he was going to Japan with her and all them junks – well excuse me Alex said so himself, if Katie didn’t want him to go, he wouldn’t, but no Katie was being nice and told him to go. ARGGGHH, that ungrateful B!
But, kekeke, I felt great not long after. When Katie went to slap Annie, and Annie stopped her I was furies, but thanks God she knew she had another hand – SLLLLLLLLLAP! HURRAY, sweet sweet sweet revenge! But that was not hard enough, hahahah, Katie should’ve shoved an asss down Annie’s throat and stab her a million times. But ok, I know, its only a series, but Annie really ticked me off that much.
Anyways, after that I don’t know how Katie could’ve forgiven Annie. Yeah, so what if she saved Alex’s life, SHE CAUSED THE DARN THING TO HAPPEN. It was sad that she didn’t die, well, if she did Alex would be devastated and so would Katie, but darn I wish she died.
By-and- by I grew to love Katie a lot. Though sometimes she can be too nice, I thought she still maintained a very humane attitude; she’s not saintly like Sau Hau in TGOD. She held grudges and she shows it very often. When she does, it becomes so cute! Overall, Katie was a very outstanding character to invest time into. There is no doubt that Katie is a talented person both at home and work, but her choice of friend (namely Annie) is very different.
Amy Chan’s Performance:
I thought she did a very very very good job. This character is a bit different from her usual character, I mean; she knows how to hold grudges. I personally enjoyed the beginning episodes a bit more, I thought the entire rivalry between Annie and Katie were priceless! Amy did a great job portraying Katie, she never disappoints me! Amy is perfect as Katie; Amy has a sophisticated outlook, very modern, very strong, but on the other hand she expresses vulnerability exquisitely. Her crying scenes have always been proven natural and real! She’s just great!