Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is TVB dying out?

Default Is TVB dying out?

yo guys i was wondering if TVB is dying out...havent been making any good shows/blockbusters lately...watever happened to those immensely popular jin yong serials in the 90s?
    Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

they finished making all the jin yong stories?

eh.. TVb series are going pretty bad.... I have yet to see a decent series nowawayda
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Jin Yong forbids TVB to remake any more of his stories. He was pissed that they changed so much of his story so he refuses to let them do his series. Thus TVB is going to other authors.
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

Originally posted by MetalAZNWarrior
    Jin Yong forbids TVB to remake any more of his stories. He was pissed that they changed so much of his story so he refuses to let them do his series. Thus TVB is going to other authors.
    If anyone should be pissed, it should be Huang Yi. At least Jin Yong's tv series had some semblance of the original work.
    don't know why huang allowed tvb to murder his novels. i hope its not for the money.

Originally posted by c13:4567
    If anyone should be pissed, it should be Huang Yi. At least Jin Yong's tv series had some semblance of the original work.
    don't know why huang allowed tvb to murder his novels. i hope its not for the money.
    Haha, you mean Twin of Brothers? I haven't read the book, but the serial is really a torture for me. Maybe for once, I'll stop in the middle and ditch the rest...

Originally posted by MetalAZNWarrior
    can't blame him, i would 2 if i were Jin Yong. y the heck doesn't TVB just stick 2 the damn novel & not change anything! who wouldn't be piss!
    "I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I'm
    surrounded by angels, but I call them my best friendz.

yeah i tink jin yong's stories are pretty much well-developed...why the hell does tvb wants to change the storyline??? i mean they can cut some scenes and lengthen others, but dun freaking twist the whole story!!! those who never read the novels before wun mind since they dun noe how the story develops, but those who read the novels before do get pissed quite often. serves u right tvb =)
    Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

he should stop taiwan from making his series FIRST Wong Jing messed up the stories

Nay I don't think TVB is dying out... I think it just got more competition from mainland, taiwan, japanese, Korean etc productions...

Also I think is had for TVB to hold on their stars because most of them ditch and head to movies or else where for more money and fame.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

i think tvb is still ok...
    better halves is one of the recent good shows rite...?

wad is love when love itself is blind...

Originally posted by lOngbOwmeN
    i mean they can cut some scenes and lengthen others, but dun freaking twist the whole story!!! those who never read the novels before wun mind since they dun noe how the story develops, but those who read the novels before do get pissed quite often.
    I"m one of those people who get pissed.

Originally posted by c13:4567
    to be fair. the guy had very little talent as a writer to begin with. he must be paid by the length of his shit cuz his novels just drag on and on with little sense of direction. TVB does have a tendency to screw up nearly all adaptations, but I doubt in the case, it would have been that much worse than the original. though I will never know, cuz I'm not gonna watch it, I'm still regretting ever reading that book.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Originally posted by dan J
    to be fair. the guy had very little talent as a writer to begin with. he must be paid by the length of his shit cuz his novels just drag on and on with little sense of direction. TVB does have a tendency to screw up nearly all adaptations, but I doubt in the case, it would have been that much worse than the original. though I will never know, cuz I'm not gonna watch it, I'm still regretting ever reading that book.

While i don't agree with much of what u mentioned, I'll have to admit that i don't fancy much of his other works. His too liberal use of adult orientated material can spoil his novel but he managed to tone it down in da tang. although bogged down by its sheer length, da tang still manage to captivate with its historical epicness, creative characters and interesting martial arts description, among other things.

It is difficult and unfair to compare huang yi with other writers like jin yong as they are from different eras. jin yong is more traditional and as such, more constrained in his writing. nevertheless, he is probably still regarded as the best.

Are most people thinking because TVB lost the right to Jing Yong's work now they are screwed?

That is how i got from some of the post here...
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

TVB not dying out........from my point of view.....

while TVB might not be making blockbuster, they are still making some good series....

just don't watch the endings........rarely ending for TVB series are any good.......
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

No TVB is dying in the pants a little. They did manage to get me watching some of the modern series in the late 80s. But I am mostly a wuxia man. I am no longer interested in the stuff they put out. Like I said in a previous post. If you've watched most of the series in the 80s and 90s. You can now sit back and actually say to yourself, "They've used the scene from.... Oh they've adapted this particular line from... That was a similiar plot they used in..", ie very repetative themes and storlines, cut and pasted from previous great series.

After seeing how they handled "Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountains 1999" and then followed up by "Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2000", I can see why Jin Yong would be really p*ssed off. TVB messing around with the story changes a lot of the themes the author is trying to convey.

Its just not TVB, but I think Asian prodcuers/filmakers who have big trouble making accurate adaptations of his novels and other authors novels. I mean what was that movie Jet Li starred in called "Swordsman II" all about? And the one following that, "The East is Red". Are they really accurate accounts of what jin Yong was about in the Proud Wanderer?? What about that mess that Jet Li starred in called Kung fu Cult hero? That took the mickey out of all the characters in HSDS.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

I personally think that TVB is dying out.. 'cause i usually watch a lot of tvb modern/ancient series... and always looking forward to watch it... but this year... most of their series really sucks.. especially endings... no offense... i haven't rent tvb series for like a while now... i'm starting to watch china series.. some are pretty interesting.. I think their getting pretty good.. maybe it will be better than tvb series later on... who knows.. hopefully tvb will get better soon...

About Jin Yong's remakes... I don't see wat's the problem with tvb making his novels into series... i mean.. probably there are quite a lot of changes in the series .. but it's wayyyy better than those recent remakes from taiwan... To me, i rather watch the tvb versions than taiwan versions...

Maybe James is right.... THere are competition these days and u know TVB has still be a lil more productive. As u know,this is quantity over quality

Hope not!
    "Count no man happy until he dies" ~ Sophocles