Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Yittz's Clinic!!

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

Dr Han,

How do I get rid of painful stitches during jogging ! It usually occurs 5 to 10 mins after I start to jog !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Dr Han,

Does anti-stress tablets work? Should I take them all year long, or just before exams?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Sorry... feels like voicing out some contradiction here! I hope you don't mind

Originally posted by Han Solo
    No, it is not healthy to eat noodles everyday.

First: You need a balanced diet, meaning eat meat, fish, vegetables, fruits etc.

Second: Don't you think that noodles taste bad, after a while? Wouldn't your taste buds rebel?

Third: Not sure if urban legend or not, but a friend of a friend of a friend, ate noodles every day for about 3 years, and died from it.
    Fisrt point: Absolutely!

2nd Point: Noodles can be anything or any form as long as it is made from flour. Therefore, I wouldn't say it taste bad or unhealthy if eaten everyday. However, as first point pointed out, making noodle should include balance diet.

Third point: Only true if one had only instant noodles.

Originally posted by Ding Dang what are some best food to eat when you want to maintain your weight? i heard fish is pretty good, but there are not many fishes on school campus, you know school food, its mostly "fat" food or food with too much starch like potatoes. so if just look at most university campus food, what are some good ones to eat to maintain my weight? most people get fatter when eating campus food...
    Is it because your campus food is full of fat and fried stuff, and filled with soft drinks?

My advice as always is to eat sensibly. Get your proportions of vegetables, fruits more than the carbohydrates, proteins and fat and you will do fine.

Both a low-fat diet and low-carb diets have been shown to be equal at around 6 mth- 1 yr, so take your pick.
    Isn't that the best way is to do exercise? My humble opinion is that one should eat everything and exercise everyday .
    Last edited by proflove; 09-01-04 at 11:24 AM.
    What is love?

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    *looks at watch*

Sorry Han Solo, but I'm going to go off topic for a bit. Jie Jie, where is your your new avatar from?
    LOL.. that is 10:35PM in my time. I couldn't sleep because it was too hot.

Yes. It is Anime/manga called "Mahojin Guru Guru" One of my favorite anime/manga.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Originally posted by Yon
    LOL.. that is 10:35PM in my time. I couldn't sleep because it was too hot.
    Hope it wasn't so hot today.

Yes. It is Anime/manga called "Mahojin Guru Guru" One of my favorite anime/manga.
    Cute. But my daemon blinks.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Han, what are the differences between bronchitis, bronchopnemonia, and asthma? Which one is the most dangerous? If someone suffer either one of them, can they fully recover? Thanks in advance.

Third: Not sure if urban legend or not, but a friend of a friend of a friend, ate noodles every day for about 3 years, and died from it.
    wakakakaa,..,.... does this urban legend has to be an asian (Indonesian) wanting to buy a sports car? ha,ha,ha,ha... talking about saving money.

Welcome back for the practice Han.

question:
    what causes your nose to bleed if the weather get too hot? how come some people seems to be fine with it?

My hayfever allergic follow me all year round and I have to spray my nose every morning otherwise it'll run and bleed in the end (especially after a good hard blow). Is that something wrong with me or it's happen to others too? what should I do so I don't have to use the spray every day? I use Rhinocot (not sure with spelling).

thanks. aaahh... I miss Yarra River...
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Originally posted by eeyore
    wakakakaa,..,.... does this urban legend has to be an asian (Indonesian) wanting to buy a sports car? ha,ha,ha,ha... talking about saving money.

Welcome back for the practice Han.

question:
    what causes your nose to bleed if the weather get too hot? how come some people seems to be fine with it?

My hayfever allergic follow me all year round and I have to spray my nose every morning otherwise it'll run and bleed in the end (especially after a good hard blow). Is that something wrong with me or it's happen to others too? what should I do so I don't have to use the spray every day? I use Rhinocot (not sure with spelling).

Definitely there must be something wrong with you!! My natural remedy for your case would be drink more water. But I guess Han MD will probably prescribe something else for you!

Err.. do you pick your nose?? cause that is the general reason behind nose bleeding
    What is love?

Originally posted by proflove
    Definitely there must be something wrong with you!! My natural remedy for your case would be drink more water. But I guess Han MD will probably prescribe something else for you!

Err.. do you pick your nose?? cause that is the general reason behind nose bleeding
    I drink lots of water, up to 3L a day in the office.

I did, it's itchy and full of stuff (aiyo so embarassing ) but since i'm using that rhinocot it's better and no more itchy nose
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Hi Han,

I've had a kankersore (sp? cold sore but inside mouth) for over a week now (really annoying, makes me lose appetite for food, brushing teeth, and talking lol). Generally, when I do get one, it lasts for a few days. Lately, I have been chugging down water (far more than 8-10 cups a day), but it's still not going away. I'm also sort of having a sore throat...that's coming and going, depending on how much water I've chugged in the last hour or so. I do live in Cali, so it's quite dry, but I can't keep chugging 2 cups an hour (and running out of class to use the restroom otherwise my profs will think i have a serious problem ). I admit, I've hardly eaten any veggies and fruits lately, as I've been quite busy and it's easy to forget about those ...could this be a factor in the lingering kankersore and wavering sore throat?

I think I've got sight problems. Which is safer, contacts or glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Dang
    my campus mostly with yea fat food,, it has a lot of potatoes, a lot of burgers, but it does ahve veggies, so i eat that most of time, and it has salad too, but those never change, it doens't have much variety with those. i heard only eat veggis is not good right? i heard from some ppl that it need to be balances with some meat, but why are there ppl who are vegetarians and they seem pretty healthy?
    There's no problem with vegetarians or vegans regarding their diet, with the exception that uncommonly some of them might have Vit B12 deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Dr Han,

How do I get rid of painful stitches during jogging ! It usually occurs 5 to 10 mins after I start to jog !
    Why don't you warm up first?

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    Dr Han,

Does anti-stress tablets work? Should I take them all year long, or just before exams?
    The "anti-stress" tablets are anxiolytics i.e. they relieve your anxiety.

There are a number of them which all works in different mechanism and have different effects.

They includes barbiturates, benzodiazepines, anti-depressants such as SSRI and TCA and others.

In general, the most commonly used anxiolytics are the benzodiazepines, which are used in short-term only in order to reduce the chance of tolerance.

Other anxiolytics are used longer e.g. the antidepressants SSRIs group which include Prozac etc.

For you case, in terms of exams, my advice is to not drink too much cofee, sleep early, make your preparations as complete as possible. Try some relaxation therapy, deep breathing --> they works!
    Avoid any medications if possible.

And Good luck for your exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    I think I've got sight problems. Which is safer, contacts or glasses?

Both are safe, hard contact, if not cared for properly, may predispose you to conjuntivitis. So it depends on your preference and which is more convenient to you.

Quote Originally Posted by proflove
    Isn't that the best way is to do exercise? My humble opinion is that one should eat everything and exercise everyday .
    Hope that you don't super-sized everything.
    Eat balanced diet in fair proportion. (sounds right?)

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore
    question:

The problem may be because weather change can sometimes cause the inside of the nose to dry out and crust, making it more fragile, and more liable to bleed.

With Rhinocort, which is a corticosteroid, it reduces inflammation from hay fever. But one of it's side effect is that it makes blood vessels more fragile and easier to get a nose bleed.

With your hay fever, have you tried any anti-histamine e.g. Claritin, which helps to control your symptoms.

Oral steroids e.g. prednisolone are given for short period of time to control inflammations.

Should you think that your hay fever is too much for you, you might want to find out what is causing it i.e. making you allergic. Do skin test to check for allergens and then go on de-sensitization therapy to get rid of the allergy. (works for some ppl but not all, and in most ppl, no single allergen is found in the test).

P/s: If you ever get back to Melbourne, i'll treat you to a boat ride on the Yarra.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfForesight
    Hi Han,

I've had a kankersore (sp? cold sore but inside mouth) for over a week now (really annoying, makes me lose appetite for food, brushing teeth, and talking lol). Generally, when I do get one, it lasts for a few days. Lately, I have been chugging down water (far more than 8-10 cups a day), but it's still not going away. I'm also sort of having a sore throat...that's coming and going, depending on how much water I've chugged in the last hour or so. I do live in Cali, so it's quite dry, but I can't keep chugging 2 cups an hour (and running out of class to use the restroom otherwise my profs will think i have a serious problem ). I admit, I've hardly eaten any veggies and fruits lately, as I've been quite busy and it's easy to forget about those ...could this be a factor in the lingering kankersore and wavering sore throat?
    1) Cold sore do go away by themselves. So you don't really need an anti-viral medications. As yours is causing you quite a problem, there's certain things that you can do: a) go to your chemist to get a soothing cream for mouth ulcers e.g. a bonjela or others; and they should help, b) if things doesn't go away, you might want to think of whether it is due to other causes e.g. thrush, herpangina (coxsackie), or varicella etc. And go and see your GP.

2) With the sore throat, most sore throats need not be treated with antibiotics, but if there's a high fever, tender cervical lymph nodes, or exudates, you might benefit from antibiotics. And if you're having any problem with eating or drinking, See your doctor, your sore throat might be serious and possibly an abscess (quinsy) may developed.

What you can do for sore throat apart from drinking water (which doesn't really help) is to pop in some painkillers such as Panadol, aspirin or ibuprofen to relive your pain.

3) I don't think that your diet would be a major cause in your cold sore. Though in some ppl, stress can exacerbate an existing cold sore.

Get well,
    Han SOlo

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    Han, what are the differences between bronchitis, bronchopnemonia, and asthma? Which one is the most dangerous? If someone suffer either one of them, can they fully recover? Thanks in advance.
    1) Bronchitis is a clinical diagnosis which basically means cough with phlegm production. It can either be acute bronchitis which is due to infection, which typically is self-limiting or chronic bronchitis which is due to long-term smoking, and is not reversible.

2) Bronchopneumonia is infection of the lower respiratory tract including the bronchial and alveoli. This is typically caused by bacteria such as Strep Pneumoniae, but can be caused by other bacterias and viruses.

Features includes fever, night sweat, cough with purulent sputum (yellow-greenish), shortness of breath and some pain during breathing.

Treatment using antibiotics usually cures the infection.

Most ppl will be cured but old elderly people who are weak or very young infant or ppl with very severe illness can be quite debiliated and die from the infection and sepsis (disseminated blood-borne infections).

3) Asthma is an illness characterised by an intermittent relpasing remitting course of wheeze, cough, shortness of breath and occasional chest tightness that can be precepitated by infection (e.g. common cold), cold air, cig smokes, exercise; and is relieved with ventolin (salbutamoll; a beta-agonist that dilates the small airways that constricts up in asthma), and controlled with steroids (to control inflammation).

Most ppl with asthma (2/3 of all) have it first in childhood and most of them will have either complete or partial remision of their symptoms when they are in adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    Dr. Han

Is brownie Bad?

Also, what will be a good way to reduce side effect of taking iron-fe?
    As you probably know Iron pills sometimes cause constipation.
    Brownie as in the cookies? I loved them. Anything i love cnan't be too bad, can it?

For iron tablets, yes it can cause constipation. why don't you try either eating more fibres, drink more water and exercise more to stimulate your gut movement or try some laxatives?

Han Solo