Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Yittz's Clinic!!

Wouldn't worry about it. I remember I had a blood test in med school with low hemoglobin. Classmate didn't really help when he started freaking me out saying I should get tested for thalessemia. Then I had a headache and was convinced I had a brain tumor.

We all have our fine moments. You soon get over it. You know when someone is sick. Hunches are usually quite accurate. I had a guy I sent up to ICU just two days ago. Didn't really fit the criteria but he was just off, repeating the same words again and again making no sense at all. The nurses let him go off for a good 30 min before informing me, doing any observations or blood sugar levels. I suppose it's a form of complex partial seizure that we induced introducing a new drug. Called the MET and they agreed with the diagnosis even though it was just a hunch on my part and they couldn't prove or disprove anything. Just as an aside - I know there are good nurses around, but if I said to call a MET, they should have brought in the crash cart instead of having me go physcially get it in there, put the leads on and having to do all the things they should be doing. I had already told them what to do, there were 3 of them and it was still faster to get it done myself. I really wouldn't want to get sick in a public hospital. Granted the management wouldn't have changed because he was having myoclonic jerks in his limbs and I couldn't get anyone strong enough to hold him down to put in a cannula and shoot him up with valium until the MET came, but that is not good patient care.
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Aphraeleiss,

Don't you use clonazepam or lorazepam instead? Way faster acting.

I had a patient last week, post community VF arrest, significant down time with resultant cerebral damage.

He was still tubed, but has this odd focal seizure - just his right index finger twitching. We gave 0.25 mg clonazepam in the central line, and before we finish flushing the line, the seizure stops. Its that quick acting.

Oh, btw, the nurses in your hospital must be pretty indifferent to MET CALL if they act like that.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

You don't want to get me started on nursing in this hospital.

I prefer using clonazepam since I've done neurology, it's worked the best out of those I've tried and I did ask for it, but for some reason the MET brought their own little thing and apart from diazepam and midazolam there didn't seem to be any either in the crash cart or their bag of goodies. And since I work in a rehab ward, the drugs there were pretty basic. It'd have taken too long for me to chart it, get it faxed to pharmacy and have them deliver it. Go figure.

I remember once they called me about a patient who was "really sweaty" and had "facial twitching" but was NFR. I was on nights so was too busy to get there for a good hour. Told me not to worry about it because she was for comfort measures only, and it was just mild twitching. Imagine my horror when I got there and she was drenched in both sweat and urine, unresponsive, and OBVIOUSLY having a seizure. Incontinence, muscular twitches, duh? I was just the intern but I walked in and I could make the bloody diagnosis on the spot. They've got at least 20 years experience and that was how they described it? She's a known epileptic! Just because someone is NFR doesn't mean you let them go into status epilepticus, which I almost thought she was in. That ward had clonazepam and I was able to cannulate and break it with just 0.5 mg IV. If it didn't break I'd have to call the MET. Luckily she was also a little old lady whose muscle twitching didn't interfere much with the cannulation. Now you see why I'm so disappointed in the whole health care system?
    Oligoneuron disease is incurable.

Are we still open to questions? Well, I'll post for the heck of it. The last couple of days my sleep has been interrupted by nocturnal leg cramps. Yesterday I had one in my left calf, went to sleep, and then woke up an hour later with one in my right calf. Today, I once again had one in my left calf. I went to look it up on the internet and it doesn't seem to be a severe problem. Throughout the day my calves are a bit sore, but it's not much of a hindrance - I'm used to being tired. However, it's a bit annoying, since weekends are the only time I don't wake up at the crack of dawn, yet with these leg cramps my sleep is being interrupted. I've gotten these cramps before, but rarely - I don't remember getting them more than five times in my whole lifetime, yet I've gotten them two days in a row now.

Also, I read online that these cramps occur more in middle-aged and older people. I'm rather young so I hope it's not unusual and that I'm not aging faster than I ought to. I've also read online about consuming more calcium, but my diet hasn't changed much lately. I still eat my share of junk but try to stay healthy. I'm not overweight and I haven't attempted weight loss considering the ice cream I consumed yesterday. I exercise frequently, especially on the lower body. The only difference about my recent activities is that I've been more sleep deprived than usual, and my Starbucks consumption has increased...

I honestly don't feel like seeing a doctor about this and it doesn't seem severe enough so that I'd have to. Plus it's only been two days. As long as this problem's only temporary and just caused by fatigue, then I'm fine with it. Should I take supplements just in case? Is there any exercise I can do to prevent this?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Are we still open to questions? Well, I'll post for the heck of it. The last couple of days my sleep has been interrupted by nocturnal leg cramps. Yesterday I had one in my left calf, went to sleep, and then woke up an hour later with one in my right calf. Today, I once again had one in my left calf. I went to look it up on the internet and it doesn't seem to be a severe problem. Throughout the day my calves are a bit sore, but it's not much of a hindrance - I'm used to being tired. However, it's a bit annoying, since weekends are the only time I don't wake up at the crack of dawn, yet with these leg cramps my sleep is being interrupted. I've gotten these cramps before, but rarely - I don't remember getting them more than five times in my whole lifetime, yet I've gotten them two days in a row now.

Also, I read online that these cramps occur more in middle-aged and older people. I'm rather young so I hope it's not unusual and that I'm not aging faster than I ought to. I've also read online about consuming more calcium, but my diet hasn't changed much lately. I still eat my share of junk but try to stay healthy. I'm not overweight and I haven't attempted weight loss considering the ice cream I consumed yesterday. I exercise frequently, especially on the lower body. The only difference about my recent activities is that I've been more sleep deprived than usual, and my Starbucks consumption has increased...

I honestly don't feel like seeing a doctor about this and it doesn't seem severe enough so that I'd have to. Plus it's only been two days. As long as this problem's only temporary and just caused by fatigue, then I'm fine with it. Should I take supplements just in case? Is there any exercise I can do to prevent this?
    Nothing to be worried about.

Cramps are common in all ages- and we often do not know the cause.

I would not advocate any real treatment for it - you can try some gin and tonic and see if it helps.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Yittz, this is a bit late, but I want to congratulate you on your newfound position. As one of the many doctors of SPCNET, can you tell me if my skin condition is actually eczema... Regularly, really small bubbles filled with liquid (it's like water) will appear on my fingers. There is even a spot on my index finger that is always a little bit dry and itchy. The skin on this spot is a little bit hard too, not very elastic (?)... I mean, my skin is not as soft over there as on the rest of my hand.

Is this what we call eczema? I'm already using a corticosteroid cream, but I don't feel that it helps much. Basically I want to know if this is eczema because according to Aphraeleiss (OMG, his name is so hard to spell!) eczema is not curable and I sure hope that my condition will be curable... I think it was Aphy who said in his post that moisturizing should help decrease the itching, but even when I put moisturizer cream on my index, it's still itchy sometimes and I have to use my corticosteroid cream, but I know that it's not good to use this sort of cream too often. So my other question will be to know if there is any other type of cream I can use... Because each time I went to see a doctor, I just ended up with another corticosteroid cream (a stronger one) and that's all.
    Last edited by lysil; 06-04-07 at 05:15 AM.
    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."
    - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by lysil View Post
    Yittz, this is a bit late, but I want to congratulate you on your newfound position. As one of the many doctors of SPCNET, can you tell me if my skin condition is actually eczema... Regularly, really small bubbles filled with liquid (it's like water) will appear on my fingers. There is even a spot on my index finger that is always a little bit dry and itchy. The skin on this spot is a little bit hard too, not very elastic (?)... I mean, my skin is not as soft over there as on the rest of my hand.
    hmm I used to have the same problem too!! like lots of lil bubbles especially around the fingers near the palm area.. i used to just break the pops with my nails.. lol.. i'm glad it's gone now.. hopefully ur's is not eczema..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Nothing to be worried about.

Cramps are common in all ages- and we often do not know the cause.

I would not advocate any real treatment for it - you can try some gin and tonic and see if it helps.

Han Solo
    Really?
    To help sleep better or to help reduce the cramps?
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

ok, i've got another question:

i've noticed that sometimes, a part of my body (usually my arms and hands) suddenly becomes very sensitive to the touch. if i touch my arm even very lightly, it aches and hurts like there's a bruise there. however, the part looks normal and not bruised at all. it hurts even if i very lightly rest a hand on it, and even when my shirt sleeve rubs on it. the strange thing is that this sensation only happens to my arms and hands, and it usually happens at nighttime. it usually disappears within a few hours or when i wake up in the morning.

what's causing this problem? could it be a circulation problem?
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

Are you still open to questions Han_Solo? I'll wait for you to reply first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Are you still open to questions Han_Solo? I'll wait for you to reply first.
    Still open for questions.

I haven't seen Yittz for a while- so from now on, i'll reply to the questions on this thread.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Still open for questions.

I haven't seen Yittz for a while- so from now on, i'll reply to the questions on this thread.

Han Solo
    Okay thanks, I had to make sure, since the thread was kind of dead.

Here's my question. I'm trying to gain 3 kgs because right now I'm sorta thin. What should I be eating, and how much?

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Really?
    To help sleep better or to help reduce the cramps?

Sorry for the late reply.

Gin and tonic contains quiniine which helps in cramps.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive...p/t-44462.html

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by xcutie View Post
    ok, i've got another question:

i've noticed that sometimes, a part of my body (usually my arms and hands) suddenly becomes very sensitive to the touch. if i touch my arm even very lightly, it aches and hurts like there's a bruise there. however, the part looks normal and not bruised at all. it hurts even if i very lightly rest a hand on it, and even when my shirt sleeve rubs on it. the strange thing is that this sensation only happens to my arms and hands, and it usually happens at nighttime. it usually disappears within a few hours or when i wake up in the morning.

what's causing this problem? could it be a circulation problem?
    I suspect your symptoms are related to the way that you position your hand - causing transient nerve impingement ala carpal tunnel syndrome.

I think that your symptoms should be relieved with different positioning of your limb.

Obviously, if it is persistent, then i would suggest that you see a doctor first in view of getting a neurophysiological test.

Han Solo
    P/s: Sorry for the late reply.
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    Okay thanks, I had to make sure, since the thread was kind of dead.

Here's my question. I'm trying to gain 3 kgs because right now I'm sorta thin. What should I be eating, and how much?
    Why are u trying to gain weight?

And how tall are you?

Try to eat balanced diet- and eat more proteins, and workout.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Is this what we call eczema? I'm already using a corticosteroid cream, but I don't feel that it helps much. Basically I want to know if this is eczema because according to Aphraeleiss (OMG, his name is so hard to spell!) eczema is not curable and I sure hope that my condition will be curable... I think it was Aphy who said in his post that moisturizing should help decrease the itching, but even when I put moisturizer cream on my index, it's still itchy sometimes and I have to use my corticosteroid cream, but I know that it's not good to use this sort of cream too often. So my other question will be to know if there is any other type of cream I can use... Because each time I went to see a doctor, I just ended up with another corticosteroid cream (a stronger one) and that's all.
    OMG! i had that! it is eczema sadly. but it goes away eventually. i had it for like 3 years until it sarted going away slowly last year. the cream that my doctor gave me is called Mometasone Furoate cream .1%? i dunoo what that means but it had worked the best out of the 20 different creams i tried. and luckily, yours is still on one finger when mine started spreading to nearly 6 of them. but if you act quick, maybe it wount spread as much.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by annaaa View Post
    OMG! i had that! it is eczema sadly. but it goes away eventually. i had it for like 3 years until it sarted going away slowly last year. the cream that my doctor gave me is called Mometasone Furoate cream .1%? i dunoo what that means but it had worked the best out of the 20 different creams i tried. and luckily, yours is still on one finger when mine started spreading to nearly 6 of them. but if you act quick, maybe it wount spread as much.
    That's it, it's the same cream that I'm using for years now!! ELOCOM-Mometasone Furoate Cream, 0.1%. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes my fingers are still itchy even after I put a lot of this cream. Right now, I don't have anything. But it happens that I have little bubbles on almost all my fingers. I don't like that. I do the same thing as ChestNut, I pop them with my nails. When I'm sleeping and it's very itchy, I scratch myself without even noticing it. My condition is not that serious. Still, it will be great if my eczema can disappears like yours!
    "Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves."
    - Rudyard Kipling

That's it, it's the same cream that I'm using for years now!! ELOCOM-Mometasone Furoate Cream, 0.1%. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes my fingers are still itchy even after I put a lot of this cream. Right now, I don't have anything. But it happens that I have little bubbles on almost all my fingers. I don't like that. I do the same thing as ChestNut, I pop them with my nails. When I'm sleeping and it's very itchy, I scratch myself without even noticing it. My condition is not that serious. Still, it will be great if my eczema can disappears like yours!
    oh really? i really dont know what to say. honestly, im glad that mine has gone away. ive had them for... *counts fingers* nearly 5 years now?? its been a long time and ive used sooo many potential cures like acupuncture, chinese herbal medicine, and tons of western creams, ointments and stuff.

atleast yours doesnt sound so bad. my hands use to be all immflammed that my friends and classmates wound ask me if ive been burned.
    im pretty sure that it hasnt disappeared forever and it could haunt me later on but... yea for the time being its returned to normal.
    a suggestion would be to use a lot of mosturing lotion if it turns dry. i dont know how old you are but people who grew up with eczema (like me) have fewer symtoms when they get about 15/16 years of age. (i read it at a offical eczema website) so yea.
    feel free to PM if you want
    Last edited by annaaa; 07-18-07 at 10:22 PM.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Sorry all for the lack of reply. I went afk, holidays exam depression after abs lost to a measly wallabies team etc. Thanks Han Solo.

ps Han Solo, I struggle with management questions.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

OMG! I need a cure for hiccups quick! I'm at work and it's so annoying!